Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:40 AM   #1
jaguar8311
Minors (Triple A)

Aging too fast?

Running MLB Quickstart. Just finished 1st season.

Could be just a small sample size, but I see guys like Donaldson and Kluber (Elite 32, 33 year old players) experiencing dramatic declining.

Anyone else experiencing this? If it's a known issue, are there plans to address it in an upcoming patch?

Thanks
jaguar8311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 01:21 PM   #2
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

I don't know that OOTPdev did anything major to aging. As with everything else, you're going to see some guys fall off a cliff relatively early and some guy having a much flatter decline phase. There's nothing plotted in the game in advance as to who's going to have these fall-offs; it's generally just a combination of injuries and random bad luck.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 01:25 PM   #3
spleen1015
Hall Of Famer

It's not an issue. Just something that happened to those guys.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 02:01 PM   #4
hluraven
Major Leagues

I used to (think I) experienced this a lot and always changed the defaults to slow down aging.

In OOTP18 I left things at the defaults, and actually it worked out fine - some realistic collapses, some players staying strong into their 40s (but not too many).
hluraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 09:36 PM   #5
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

Felix Hernandez and Miguel Cabrera say hi.

Baseball eats the aged and infirm. Never trust anyone over thirty.
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 12:57 AM   #6
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

cabrera has had a ton of injuries -- lower body and back issues = no go for swinging a bat well. a better example would be a healthy person's stats falling off a cliff.. plenty to choose from.

m cabrera has anothe 1 or 2 .500+ slugging years left in him, even if his birth certificate is fraudulent. if he keeps breaking down, that's not going to happen, either.

lots of people trail off.. lots of people hit a proverbial wall and it seems to happen all at once. then, anything in between too. default is quite accurate.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 01:33 AM   #7
malichai11
Minors (Triple A)

I also think with much stricter PED testing that we're going to see faster aging in players now.
malichai11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 10:37 AM   #8
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
cabrera has had a ton of injuries -- lower body and back issues = no go for swinging a bat well. a better example would be a healthy person's stats falling off a cliff.. plenty to choose from.
So, Cabrera is in the infirm category.
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:26 PM   #9
LegalEagle80
Minors (Double A)

I tend to agree. I changed my batting aging to .925 and my pitcher aging to .950. I might go down even further after testing, but yeah, it seems like anyone over the age of 32 turns into a replacement player, or worse.
LegalEagle80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:41 PM   #10
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
In this game you do see current stars fall off sometimes quickly, but sometimes players are still good into their late 30s and even early 40s. In my main game in 18, Alex Bregman was still playing, and still quite good, at age 44.

It's just part of baseball
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:59 PM   #11
highandoutside
All Star Reserve

MLB is becoming a young person's game. For a variety of reasons, players are declining earlier and more often.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...are-all-right/

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/hitt...-only-decline/
highandoutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 01:07 PM   #12
drhay53
Major Leagues

I've been playing with aging at ~0.3 for a couple of years. It works for me.

Part of it is that I hate the inverted structure of baseball, IRL too. A player plays out his prime under team control and then some team has to offer 6 years to lock him up for 1-3 productive seasons. It's silly. I could change the rules in my league, but I find it easier to just turn aging down.
drhay53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 01:35 PM   #13
LegalEagle80
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by highandoutside View Post
MLB is becoming a young person's game. For a variety of reasons, players are declining earlier and more often.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/hitt...-only-decline/
Very interesting. This makes me think maybe I keep the aging as it is, and slightly increase the development so younger players get to their peaks faster. I'd like to see a peak of ~5 years, so if guys are getting into the show at 22 or so and their peak goes into their late 20s.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:46 PM   #14
5-4-3
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by malichai11 View Post
I also think with much stricter PED testing that we're going to see faster aging in players now.
If you look at percent of total WAR by age over the last twenty years you can see the effects of stricter testing on older players, because there’s a hard shift in percent war contributed towards the younger players. The old guys must have been juicing like mad.
5-4-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 01:51 PM   #15
Reed
All Star Starter

I just looked at the Baltimore and Boston 40 man rosters (80 total) and there was a total of ZERO players over age 35, only one aged 35.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 02:38 PM   #16
Reed
All Star Starter

I just checked the 40 man rosters for all 30 teams and there is a total of 21 players over age 35, 3 of them in their 40s with Ichiro being the oldest.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 05:18 PM   #17
LegalEagle80
Minors (Double A)

I can definitely see regression at age 35+. I just always thought, both in OOTP 18 and in the previous versions, that guys really starting falling off a cliff statistically when they hit 30-31. I used to think, just anecdotally without really taking a look at the statistics, that there were plenty of players who were in their early 30s who were still producing like top tier players, but my memory could have just been selective and/or clouded by the number of guys putting up crazy stats in the steroid era (e.g. Jeff Kent).
Old 04-06-2018, 06:36 PM   #18
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

you can help slow down their decline by changing the settings as for me my players decline at age 34 but relievers I have found can keep going into their 40s
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote