Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 02-05-2019, 05:48 PM   #21
SJM1583
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
Increase the drop rate for Challenge Mode!
I still haven't pulled a pack in challenge mode, i'm guessing i fulfilled too many "challenges" before perfect team came out
SJM1583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:37 AM   #22
Dxgarnett
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1583 View Post
I still haven't pulled a pack in challenge mode, i'm guessing i fulfilled too many "challenges" before perfect team came out
That’s not how it works. Play enough and get enough achievements and you’ll get packs.
Dxgarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:10 AM   #23
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dxgarnett View Post
That’s not how it works. Play enough and get enough achievements and you’ll get packs.
1) Start Historical League with '27 Yankees.
2) Change all the notifications settings to off.
3) Sim away.
4) Earn a pack in 0.5-1.5 seasons of sims (almost always pops at the awards at the latest).
5) Repeat for other team accounts.
6) Return to Step 1 in about 3 days.

You'll make the playoffs 95% of the time with the '27 Yankees, have Ruth and Gehrig fighting over the Triple Crown categories (I actually benched Ruth once late in the season to give Gehrig the HR lead to win the Triple Crown), win the WS 50%+, and win multiple awards. There's probably 20-30 achievements you'll hit in 1 season with them.
DonkeyKongSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 11:27 AM   #24
SJM1583
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyKongSr View Post
3) Sim away.
4) Earn a pack in 0.5-1.5 seasons of sims (almost always pops at the awards at the latest).

You'll make the playoffs 95% of the time with the '27 Yankees, have Ruth and Gehrig fighting over the Triple Crown categories (I actually benched Ruth once late in the season to give Gehrig the HR lead to win the Triple Crown), win the WS 50%+, and win multiple awards. There's probably 20-30 achievements you'll hit in 1 season with them.
So what you are saying is I need to stop playing as the Mets?
Old 02-06-2019, 11:57 AM   #25
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
3) Sim away.

I think the developers should stop awarding packs for challenge mode. It is obvious that it is just being exploited and not used as intended.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:07 PM   #26
SJM1583
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
I think the developers should stop awarding packs for challenge mode. It is obvious that it is just being exploited and not used as intended.
Nope. I just pulled one using "the '27 yankees method"
Old 02-06-2019, 12:24 PM   #27
SJM1583
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1583 View Post
Nope. I just pulled one using "the '27 yankees method"
...And I pulled a perfect Chris Sale. WOW
Old 02-06-2019, 02:24 PM   #28
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

Quote:
I'm not sure how you jump to the conclusion that it doesn't work as intended from a few posts on a meesage board. You don't need to eliminate it because it's exploitable, you just need to make it so it's not exploitable.

Limit 5x per team or something. That should probably get a few offline folks thinking more about trying PT without letting PT players collect 2 free packs a week ad unfinium.

Last edited by DonkeyKongSr; 02-06-2019 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:36 PM   #29
captainbuttercream
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Why? There's already a 3 day or so cool down timer. It's not like you can just spam packs. 2 packs a week that take anyone 10 minutes per week to unlock isn't wrecking anything.
captainbuttercream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:40 PM   #30
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
3) Sim away.

So, you don’t consider this an exploit?
Old 02-06-2019, 02:41 PM   #31
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
I consider it a tiny, tiny consolation to the FTP players. It's not nearly as much of an advantage as getting 75% bonus PP if you buy $100. Plus, every single player is allowed to do it, so no one has an advantage.

Last edited by zrog2000; 02-06-2019 at 02:48 PM.
zrog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:42 PM   #32
Threnodas
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
You don't need to eliminate it because it's exploitable, you just need to make it so it's not exploitable.

Limit 5x per team or something. That should probably get a few offline folks thinking more about trying PT without letting PT players collect 2 free packs a week ad [infinitum].
I agree, and I have said so before, too:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threnodas View Post
[...]
So, if Challenge Mode does award PT packs, a cool-off time is extremely necessary. In fact, it seems like PT packs should be as far divorced from Challenge Mode achievements as possible (and more tied to time played) so that someone playing as the Orioles in Challenge Mode for the, uh, challenge, isn't handicapping themselves in PT.
I love having non-monetary ways for avid OOTP players to get ahead in PT, but packs should probably be awarded for time played in-game or some other measure of engagement, rather than milking the '27 Yankees over and over like you're mining cryptocurrency.
Threnodas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:43 PM   #33
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

Quote:
I agree, Ruth and Gerhig on the same tram was an exploit. Ban the Yankees.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:46 PM   #34
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
Every time I play, Gehrig ends up with something like a 15 WAR season. He's usually in the running for the Triple Crown, but is challenged in HR and RBI by Ruth and by Al Simmons for the batting title.

Last edited by zrog2000; 02-06-2019 at 02:51 PM.
zrog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:01 PM   #35
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The system was established to encourage PT players to try the regular game. It is a reward for PLAYING the game, not for setting up a sim and paying no attention to it until you get the reward. That's why it is an exploit, not the team that is chosen.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:17 PM   #36
captainbuttercream
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
The system was established to encourage PT players to try the regular game. It is a reward for PLAYING the game, not for setting up a sim and paying no attention to it until you get the reward. That's why it is an exploit, not the team that is chosen.
If that's how you're defining an exploit then it an impossible issue to solve without just scrapping free packs all together. If you have a chance to get a pack from an achievement, a new game will always unlock more achievement than an old game. This is no big deal. You are more than capable of getting that one free pack every 3 or 4 days. There's already a cool down timer, it's not like selecting the 27 Yankees in Challenge Mode lets you easily get 100 packs.
captainbuttercream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 11:08 PM   #37
webdox
Minors (Triple A)

Surprised not to see the Mike Schmidt 98 Historic All-Star card on the list.

There is one for sale right now in the AH that has no past sales record. I've never seen the card before in any of my leagues to be honest.
webdox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:02 AM   #38
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
If that is an exploit, then people are also exploiting the friends system. It is one thing to play PT with people you like, but it is another to fill an entire league with teams at a similar competitive level (both stronger as well as weaker levels of competition than what would be otherwise expected at that league level) to game the promotion/relegation system into something more than the devs intended it to be.

I have my concerns that both "exploits" are resulting in a gaming experience the devs never intended. I also don't know this, so I leave it to them to make any course corrections. Worrying about it has no effect on me ultimately, other than to raise my blood pressure a bit if I let it.

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team

Last edited by Dogberry99; 02-07-2019 at 12:26 AM.
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:16 AM   #39
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry99 View Post
If that is an exploit, then people are also exploiting the friends system. It is one thing to play PT with people you like, but it is another to fill an entire league with teams at a similar competitive level (both higher and lower) to game the promotion/relegation system into something more than the devs intended it to be.

I have my concerns that both "exploits" are resulting in a gaming experience the devs never intended. I also don't know this, so I leave it to them to make any course corrections. Worrying about it has no effect on me ultimately, other than to raise my blood pressure a bit if I let it.
Personally, the "play the 27 Yankees to get free packs" feels like an exploit to me. We'll look into it some more to see if it's worth stopping or there's anything we can do to patch the hole, but it's definitely not the "intended" way to play.

As for the friends league with a self-imposed cap, to me, that's not an exploit any more than the "friends" league from the discord with all the crazy top rosters. Yeah, setting up both the Diamond and Perfect leagues to try to get the promotion/relegation into those leagues is probably something we didn't really intend or think of, but on the other hand, I don't see that as a problem. I mean, the first few months of the system we intentionally set up the promotion and relegation so that more often than not, teams moved together in order to promote rivalries.

Now, if you set up your friend list with a bunch of top teams and 4 really crappy teams, with the intention that teams in the league can beat up on them to gain points, or to explicitly use those 4 as the expected teams to get relegated, then yes, I would consider that an exploit. But to me, if you can find 30 people willing to get together, put in the effort to set up the leagues, and use a self-imposed cap, I'm fine with that. If you can find 30 perfect league teams where none of you use a card higher than Bronze, I'm perfectly happy to have you set that league up. As long as everyone is playing fair, I'm happy to see you use the tools we give you to set up your own pool.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:22 AM   #40
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
Yeah, setting up both the Diamond and Perfect leagues to try to get the promotion/relegation into those leagues is probably something we didn't really intend or think of, but on the other hand, I don't see that as a problem.
And this is EXACTLY why we, as players, are all remiss to scream exploit at every game mechanic we see being used in unique and unintentional ways.

The only opinion that matters as far as whether or not its a problem is that of the dev team themselves.

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote