Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - General Discussions

OOTP 16 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2015 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 01-23-2015, 10:55 AM   #1
TDO
Minors (Double A)

Steam vs Direct Download

Im a little behind the times on technology. I understand the basics of what steam is and I have one game off steam.

What would make someone want to get the Steam version instead of a Direct Download version?

I ask because I'm going to pre-order the game (like i have since OOTP12) but I've always just done the download to my laptop. It runs just fine on it, so I don't see why I would want to go the stream route.

Can someone explain to a Steam Newb
TDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:59 AM   #2
Assos
All Star Starter

From what I understand, Steam allows you to have the game attached to your Steam account so you can load it on different computers but you can only play one copy at a time while connected to Steam. You can play offline too, but you would not get the fancy Steam achievements and the game will auto update for you too. I am glad they allow you to get both in the pre buy.
Assos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:00 AM   #3
FlipCup
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDO View Post
Im a little behind the times on technology. I understand the basics of what steam is and I have one game off steam.

What would make someone want to get the Steam version instead of a Direct Download version?

I ask because I'm going to pre-order the game (like i have since OOTP12) but I've always just done the download to my laptop. It runs just fine on it, so I don't see why I would want to go the stream route.

If you like to have all of your PC games in one spot, Steam is good for that. Steam also has "achievements" and a big social side to it. They also have the ability to have Cloud saves, meaning you can play on one computer and download your save from another. Sadly, I don't think OOTP will have that functionality. Also, with Steam, you only need that one Steam license to play on multiple computers.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.
FlipCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:01 AM   #4
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

You don't have to make any decision. Pre-ordering gets you a Steam key. Then you can see what the concept is all about.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:03 AM   #5
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Everyone who doesn't mind, get the direct download version from our site so we don't have to pay the big cut Steam gets from all theri sales

The best is preordering now, since that includes a free Steam key, so you get the best of both worlds.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:04 AM   #6
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

What are steam achievements? They don't pop up during game play do they?
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:05 AM   #7
FlipCup
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Everyone who doesn't mind, get the direct download version from our site so we don't have to pay the big cut Steam gets from all theri sales

The best is preordering now, since that includes a free Steam key, so you get the best of both worlds.
Of course!

Follow my 2015 Orioles Blog! - http://ootpflipcup.blogspot.com/
FlipCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:05 AM   #8
Assos
All Star Starter

And if you misplace your key, as I so often do. OOTP team is quick with responses! But Steam also helps out too! Best of both worlds!
Assos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:07 AM   #9
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

^This. Buy from OOTP and help with development costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
What are steam achievements? They don't pop up during game play do they?
Yes they do but they will go away shortly

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:10 AM   #10
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
^This. Buy from OOTP and help with development costs

Yes they do but they will go away shortly
Ha ha vaporized!

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
Old 01-23-2015, 11:13 AM   #11
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:

Steam means: no CD's or DVD's to have to keep, no need to manually update your games ever because Steam does that for you, the ability to play any game you own on any computer you are on, easy modding through Steam Workshops, saves available on any computer through Steam cloud saves, access to more games than you can imagine, access to Steam and Humble Bundle and Bundlestars game sales where you can get tons of good games for almost nothing, Steam achievements, Steam friends, Steam discussion forums, Steam user game images and videos, tons of free to play games, tons of online multiplayer games (many free, including the awesome DOTA 2 - Dota 2 on Steam - that I play a lot) that you can jump right into, and a thousand other things. Steam or something like it is the future of gaming.

Preorder, get a Steam key, and look Steam over. It's modern gaming.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:22 AM   #12
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Steam means: no CD's or DVD's to have to keep, no need to manually update your games ever because Steam does that for you, the ability to play any game you own on any computer you are on, easy modding through Steam Workshops, saves available on any computer through Steam cloud saves, access to more games than you can imagine, access to Steam and Humble Bundle and Bundlestars game sales where you can get tons of good games for almost nothing, Steam achievements, Steam friends, Steam discussion forums, Steam user game images and videos, tons of free to play games, tons of online multiplayer games (many free, including the awesome DOTA 2 - Dota 2 on Steam - that I play a lot) that you can jump right into, and a thousand other things. Steam or something like it is the future of gaming.

Preorder, get a Steam key, and look Steam over. It's modern gaming.
Okay, I have $40 dollars in Steam Gift cards. But, I think I will listen to Markus and buy the game direct from OOTP. Can any of you recommend any other games I might like? Rchw suggested FM, but I'm soccer dumb, so I don't know if I could get into it.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:25 AM   #13
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Okay, I have $40 dollars in Steam Gift cards. But, I think I will listen to Markus and buy the game direct from OOTP. Can any of you recommend any other games I might like? Rchw suggested FM, but I'm soccer dumb, so I don't know if I could get into it.
FM. Even though I have my issues with people wanting FM stuff unrelatable to baseball in OOTP, FM is the gold standard of the genre. You can learn for sure.

RichW

#stopthestupid

Old 01-23-2015, 11:27 AM   #14
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
FM. Even though I have my issues with people wanting FM stuff unrelatable to baseball in OOTP, FM is the gold standard of the genre. You can learn for sure.
Yes, FM is amazing. If OOTP grows up, it wants to be like FM. Or an astronaut.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:32 AM   #15
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Get and play FM. It's just amazing. I have played soccer/association football since boyhood and still do, but I have friends who never played or watched a game before playing FM and who love it and are totally hooked on it anyway.

It's a game no sports gamer should miss.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:32 AM   #16
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes, FM is amazing. If OOTP grows up, it wants to be like FM. Or an astronaut.
FM is a much better choice.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:34 AM   #17
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
FM is a much better choice.
Than an astronaut? Ah come on!
Old 01-23-2015, 11:35 AM   #18
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Fm is a great game. I just started playing last week and have I have recently been experiencing lost time, lol.

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:35 AM   #19
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
FM. Even though I have my issues with people wanting FM stuff unrelatable to baseball in OOTP
I'm with you on that. They are annoying.

Quote:
FM is the gold standard of the genre.
No doubt about that whatsoever.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:36 AM   #20
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Than an astronaut? Ah come on!
I know an astronaut well and have friends (and an ex-girlfriend) at NASA. FM is better.