Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Title Bout Championship Boxing > TBCB Mods

Old 08-21-2006, 09:39 PM   #21
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by a87star
This is great stuff Chris. Just wanted to remind you to post the rules for the different groups you have when you get a chance tonight. Also, do you have the other flags that are on your list so they could be added to the game?
Flags:

I uploaded the flag set I use here. It includes all the oddball ones that are part of the stiff zips referenced above. I also tossed the images for my groups up there if anyone is interested (AABU, APBC, EBF, NABF, SABC, Retired, Hall of Fame).

For rule sets; the screen shot below shows what I use. There is nothing special, these are just my preferences with slight variety between the regional sanctioning bodies. REC (Royal Explorers Club) is the rule set for World title fights and international matches. For the 45 National and minor titles, I use the rule set of the geographical region that the smaller title resides in (i.e. Spanish title fights use the EBF rule set, Thai title fights use the APBC set, et cetera).

To create rule sets:

1) Click on the rule set button in the center of the button at the bottom of the start screen.
2) Click 'new' at the bottom of the screen
3) Enter an organization abbreviation that matches one of the organizations that you have created
4) Make your selections from the few self explanatory fields.
5) click save

There is not much to this part.

Up Next:

2) Regional play
- Regional and minor title fight scheduling
- Detailed use of the scheduling filters
Attached Images

Last edited by CONN CHRIS; 08-21-2006 at 10:25 PM.
CONN CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 11:12 PM   #22
gocubsgo
All Star Starter

I am thinking i might have to start a new dynasty since i was going to look at adding additional weight classes. This is great stuff now hurry up and finish.
gocubsgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 10:44 AM   #23
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

2) Regional play
- Regional and minor title fight scheduling

To begin, I'll give you an over-arching view of how I handle fight scheduling:

I have the universe divided into five geographical regions. During the months of January, February, April, May, July, August, October and November fights take place within these geographical groupings. The months of March, June, September and December are international fight months which will be discussed later.

Regional fight months serve several purposes:

1) Provide young fighters with an opportunity to build their records against stiffs and lower echelon fighters

2) Allow established fighters to tune-up on the locals

3) Allow marginal fighters the chance to break-out with an unexpected win and vault themselves into the running for a belt of some sort or even better, get into the group that will fight internationally. That is where the fighters face better competition and have the most opportunity to advance (more on this later).

4) Provide opportunities for the five geographical champions to defends their titles.

5) Provide everyone he chance to fight for one of the 45 national or minor title belts.

For each regional play month, I first determine what titles will be on the line and who will be fighting for them. I do this for one weight class at a time but cover all five geographical regions at once.

Criteria for title fights:

- Regional Belts:

The five regional belts are very prestigious in my little world. I choose who challenges strictly by ratings. Fifteen fights are required to be ranked by the regional group. (Because I have them organized by group, I can view rankings for just one region such as Europe [EBF].) When a regional title holder is selected for a title fight, the number one ranked contender in that region gets the nod. The exception is if that fighter was also the challenger the last time the belt was defended. If he was, I still let him challenge if he lost that title fight by mixed or split decision or drew. If he lost by unanimous decision, stoppage or disqualification I move on to the number two ranked fighter and apply the same criteria.

- Minor belts

I allow myself complete flexibility in deciding who will challenge for these belts. The only criteria is that the fighter nationally or ethnically fit the belt in question. Fighters from any country in the world fit at least one (and generally more than one) of the minor belt criteria. I use these belts to get a young fighter a belt, give a hard-luck fighter a chance at a small measure of glory, or whatever suits my fancy.

Selecting which belts will be defended:

This is where I use that simplistic spreadsheet attached to post number one in this thread. You will note there is a top line (REC) that is the world title holder (he is the only fighter in the division not allowed a regional month fight), a second group of lines one through five which represents the regional titles and a third group of 45 minor and national or sub-regional titles.

At the start of a regional play month, I do the following:

1) Print the title belt spreadsheet
2) Write the division, month and year at the top (i.e. SW-Jan-1903)
3) Go to Random.org and generate 50 random numbers with the lowest value '1' and the highest value '100'.
4) Apply the first five random numbers to the five regional titles. If a number 1-30 is applied, that title will be defended this month.
5) Apply the last 45 numbers to the minor belts. A random number of 1-10 indicates that one of these belts will be defended.
6) Fill in the current title holders for the belts that will be defended.
7) Fill in challengers for each title based on criteria above.

Generally, each division will end up with one or perhaps two regional titles and a small handful of minor titles being contested during each regional play month. So far, this simplistic system has generated fairly reasonable title defense frequencies for me and also gives me some outliers such as a regional titlist that will defend 6 times in a year or one who goes 18 months without risking his belt. The minor titlists' defense frequencies are all over the board. Some will defend 3 or four times in a year while others will go three years without defending. I like it a lot as it seems to mimic the erratic nature of small belt title fights in the real world.

- Specific match-ups

As you will see when I discuss the auto-scheduler use, I have no say over who fights whom in the regional play months (although the fighters engaged in a title fight will not get a regularly scheduled fight that month) and very little say over the international match-ups. For that reason, I use the minor title fights as the place where I create the interesting or fun match-ups that I want to see. (1903 is actually the first year that the base is big enough to be able to do this most of the time.) While I would love to micro-manage contender match-ups all the time, it is impractical due to the size of the universe and is one of the sacrifices I make to get the depth that I want in a universe. The use of minor titles to set up fights I want to see is a reasonable compromise for me.

- Loosing track of fighters

I do tend to loose track of some fighters, but I am shocked at how many I am deeply acquainted with. It numbers in the thousands! Keeping it all straight is difficult but is aided greatly by going through the title belt sheet each month for each division. The biggest aid however is the website that I maintain for the universe. Without that, I would loose track of everything and it would not be any fun at all. Each month I do scant write-ups on some of the bigger bouts and list hundreds of results that interested me. These write ups are posted here.

I have to say though, loosing track of a fighter can actually add to the enjoyment. As an example, in the current month that I am in (July, 1903) the Maritime LHW belt held by Canadian Harry Dillon came up. As I scanned for an opponent, I noticed this kid I had forgotten about named Tunney. He had put together a 6-0 record toiling away down in Connecticut. I gave the kid a shot and he came through with decision over Dillon!

Up Next:

2) Regional play

- Detailed use of the scheduling filters for regional play

Last edited by CONN CHRIS; 08-22-2006 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:04 AM   #24
mh2365
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (101)
Really good stuff Chris .. one of the major differences in ours is that I don't keep track of the TC's. I did notice this morning that one of the TC's is now 15-3 with 600pp. I may have to find a few like that and give them a shot at the show.
mh2365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:20 AM   #25
gocubsgo
All Star Starter

Wow it is amazing how 2 people (Mike and Chris) have come up with two very different ways to run their universes. Both of you have way more creativity and patience than i do in creating these ways to run your worlds. I can remember doing some pretty cool stuff when i was a kid and used to play the board game but man just reading both of your posts makes me wonder if i shouldnt start over with a mix of your ideas.

Chris do you keep track of or not schedule guys due to cuts, knockdowns, etc like Mike and or do you ignore those results?
Old 08-22-2006, 11:34 AM   #26
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh2365
Really good stuff Chris .. one of the major differences in ours is that I don't keep track of the TC's. I did notice this morning that one of the TC's is now 15-3 with 600pp. I may have to find a few like that and give them a shot at the show.
They are few and far between but watch out. You may end up getting attached to a TC like I have.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:40 AM   #27
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocubsgo
Wow it is amazing how 2 people (Mike and Chris) have come up with two very different ways to run their universes. Both of you have way more creativity and patience than i do in creating these ways to run your worlds. I can remember doing some pretty cool stuff when i was a kid and used to play the board game but man just reading both of your posts makes me wonder if i shouldnt start over with a mix of your ideas.

Chris do you keep track of or not schedule guys due to cuts, knockdowns, etc like Mike and or do you ignore those results?
I think the differences in the way Mike and I (and Cube, Ian, Gunsmoke, Tosti, Cap, et cetera, et cetera) run our universe speaks to how versatile this game is. I really do have to chuckle when people come in and claim that this thing doesn't have a 'career mode'.

I do not track cuts, knockdowns, et cetera. If the game built that in for me, I would love it but it is another sacrifice I choose to make to get the depth that I want.

I do not know if I will be able to write-up the next post tonight. It will be about using the auto-scheduler for regional play months and will be a whopper. I may not have the time tonight, but I am thrilled that a few of you are finding this somewhat interesting. Thank you!

Quote:
but man just reading both of your posts makes me wonder if i shouldnt start over with a mix of your ideas
I started over four or five times before I struck on this method/system and it is still evolving (which I will talk about under point 5 or 6 (I believe) from the first post.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:21 PM   #28
mh2365
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (101)
I will have to look at the TC's tonight and see if a few have built up records enough to fill out some of my regional titles. My EBU and AABU are hurting for contenders.

Maybe even a TC tourney once a year to see who gets to move into "real life"
mh2365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 01:21 PM   #29
gocubsgo
All Star Starter

Yeah i can definitely see i need to go back thru some of the other dynasties and maybe start over. I like the idea of mixing the era because it helps out when there are divisions with weak competition i can bring in someone from a different era who help spice things up. How do you go about deciding who comes into the uni and when? Where do you save or store the guys you will bring into the uni in the future?
Old 08-22-2006, 02:10 PM   #30
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Quote:
How do you go about deciding who comes into the uni and when? Where do you save or store the guys you will bring into the uni in the future?
I'll be hitting all of that at some point this week. Quickly though about storing fighters:

I keep all the fighters available in a separate 'complete' data base. When I bring a fighter into my universe data base, I place the original fighter file in a group called 'transfer' within the complete data base. That way, I can easily exclude those fighters when searching for the next round of rookies.

Up Next:

2) Regional play

Old 08-22-2006, 02:25 PM   #31
gocubsgo
All Star Starter

Ah okay that makes sense thanks.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:12 PM   #32
javier_83
Hall Of Famer

another exelent topic
javier_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 07:05 AM   #33
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

I am heading to New Hampshire for the day. I'll post about use of the auto-scheduler filters for regional bout selection (rookies and established fighters) this evening.

Christopher
Old 08-23-2006, 01:18 PM   #34
PublicEnemy
Minors (Rookie Ball)

This is great stuff, thanks very much.

I downloaded the brilliant flags file from your site and noticed the flag of Fujairah (one of the states in the UAE) was wrong.
Not a big deal, but I thought I'd post the correct flag anyway.

Last edited by PublicEnemy; 10-05-2006 at 02:48 PM.
PublicEnemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 10:32 PM   #35
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PublicEnemy
This is great stuff, thanks very much.

I downloaded the brilliant flags file from your site and noticed the flag of Fujairah (one of the states in the UAE) was wrong.
Not a big deal, but I thought I'd post the correct flag anyway.
Awesome! I have a bit of a flag fetish and really appreciate any chance to correct what I have.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:33 PM   #36
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONN CHRIS
I am heading to New Hampshire for the day. I'll post about use of the auto-scheduler filters for regional bout selection (rookies and established fighters) this evening.

Christopher
I returned too late from NH and will have to put this off until tomorrow night. Sorry folks.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:53 PM   #37
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

I jotted some of this down earlier in the week and will get the post on Regional month scheduling started within the hour. Sorry to drag this this out the past few days.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:00 PM   #38
Claybor
All Star Starter

No apologies necessary, you are adding a valuable resource to our little community, take your time, and thanks. Much of what you have posted I allready pretty much do, but there have definatley been a few usefull tidbits thus far.

Last edited by Claybor; 10-23-2006 at 04:20 PM.
Claybor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 11:29 PM   #39
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

2) Regional play

Overview:

-1. I will try to give very detailed descriptions of how to do everything that I mention. I realize that most of us will not need that. However, if say that I check a fighter's history from the auto-scheduler screen, a new comer might be utterly baffled as to how to do that (I would have been at one time). So bear with me if some of this too simplistic.

-2. What I am trying to accomplish with the auto-scheduler during regional play months:

--a. I want established (ranked) fighters to have tune-up fights within their geographical regions.
--b. I want new fighters (less than 10 bouts) to face easy opponents.
--c. I want the higher ranked established fighters to fight on average 6 times per year. (This is a loose target, I have liked the system I use to-date because it seems to have most fighters in action about 6 times each year with plenty of outliers that fight twice or even eleven times.)
--d. I do not care if stiff and other professional opponents fight every month or even twice per month. They are the guys doing this to keep virtual bread on the table.

Using the auto-scheduler to get what I want:

Each regional play month, I work through the universe one division at a time. For this explanation, I will be using the five geographical groups outlined in the posts on page one.

I will run through the month that I am about to start (August, 1903) beginning with the strawweights and the AABU group - plug in whatever weight and groups you use.

Before I open the scheduler, I check to see how many fighters in the division as a whole have a ranking. In this case, 306 of the 373 active strawweights have a ranking. I check this by going to the fighter screen, sort by Division: Strawweight and Group: All. Then sort by ranking (click on the 'RK' tab next to the 'Last 5' tab. See what the highest ranked number is. This will be used later as you will see.

A) General set-up:

-1) From the start screen, click the Scheduler box in the top right corner.
-2) Click the auto-scheduler button at the bottom of the screen
-3) General Settings Tab:
----a. Allow fighter to fight against himself - unchecked
----b. Schedule each fighter only one time - checked
----c. Save bout logs to disk - unchecked (I go through after and check
-------the individual fight logs that I may want saved. You can check this
------if you want, I just prefer not to take disk space with tens of
------thousands of bout logs that I will never look at.)
----d. Update fighter records - checked
----e. Repeats for each bout - 1
----f. Max. number of bouts to schedule - 100
----g. Year of event - blank
----h. Max. rating difference - blank
----i. Gender - Men
----j. Combine divisions - Combine only identical
----k. Year of random fight date - 1903
----l. Month of random fight date - 8

B) Scheduling established fighter bouts:

-1) Red Corner Tab:
----a. Select fighter manually - unchecked
----b. Let the scheduler select fighters - checked
----c. Career stage - Get from fighter record
----d. Condition - Conduct conditioning check
----e. Trainer - Generic (will pull from fighter record)
----f. Cutman - Generic (will pull from fighter record)
----g. Designate - No
----h. Group - AABU
----i. Era - All
----j. Division - SW
----k. Nationality - blank
----l. Rank Min. - blank
----m. Rank Max. - 153 (this is the number of ranked fighters/2)
----n. Rating min. - blank
----o. Rating max. - blank
----p. Bouts min. - 10
----q. Bouts max. - blank
----r. Style - All
----s. Southpaw - All
-2) Blue Corner Tab:
----g. Designate - No
----h. Group - AABU
----i. Era - All
----j. Division - SW
----l. Rank Min. - 154(One more than the num. set as max in Red Tab)
----m. Rank Max. - blank
----p. Bouts min. - blank
----r. Style - All
----s. Southpaw - All
-3) Fight Options Tab:
----a. Apply rule set - AABU (see post above about creating rule sets)
----b. Scoring system - 10 point
----c. Number of rounds - 10
----d. Two minute rounds - unchecked
----e. Computer selects strategies for: - All four boxes checked
----f. Fight date - blank (or whatever the last you had
------ it will be over-written based on the first tab settings)
----g. Venue - Random (A venue from one of the two
------ fighter's countries will be selected randomly)
----h. All other boxes - Random (except judges bias
------ I select 'use bias rating')
4) Click schedule bouts in lower right corner

Sidebar:

--Although I set the max number of bouts at 100 on the general set up tab, I only got 27 bouts scheduled for the AABU SW division for August, 1903. This is because I set the min/max ranking break point at 153. That number is based on the ranking covering all SW fighters, not just the AABU group SW fighters as I am scheduling here. So, for this month, either the number of AABU fighters ranked lower than 153 or higher than 153 totals only 27 and that is the number of fights that I am limited to. There is a method to all this. It works out when done across all groups for 12 months to give me a nice fight schedule distribution across the universe. It took a bit of trial and error to arrive at this but it really does play out nicely.

-5) Search for fighters that had a bout last month. I only search the fighter 1 side of the screen. These are the fighters that are in the top 50% of the overall universe ranking. I deem the fighter 2 side to be the professional opponents who I do not worry about fighting every month or even twice per month. The reality is that they do not end up fighting every month because of the way I set the scheduler, but they do at times.

To check for a fight last fight month:
----a. Click Open fighter 1 tab at the bottom of the screen
----b. Click on history tab
----c. Look at the fist date in the top left corner (1903-04-02) in this case
----d. Click close (bottom right), you will be back at the auto-scheduler screen
----e. If the fighter fought last month (July, 1903 in this case)
------- be sure the bout is highlighted and click 'remove' at
-------the bottom of the screen.
----f. If the fight was prior to the last month (July) - leave the
-------bout alone and move to the next one. (In this example,
-------the fighter in column 1 fought last in April, so he stays)
----g. Repeat for all scheduled bouts (27 of them in this case)

Sidebar:

At this point in the example that I am walking through, I have now auto-scheduled the SW established fighter bouts within the African and Arabian region. After weeding out the fighters that fought in July, I am left with 18 bouts. This seems like a lot but it really isn't. If I was doing this for real, it would have taken me no more than 3 to 5 minutes to get to this point. Because I am documenting it, it has taken about an hour.

-6) Repeat Establish fighter bout scheduling steps 1) through 5) for each of the other four regional groups leaving the general settings tab as you originally set it. In the example that I am walking through, I have ended up with 71 bouts scheduled. That means that a little less than half the established fighters in this division are active this month. That is a tad on the high side, but at all works out over the course of a year.

Note that I have not run any of these fights yet. They are just loaded in the auto scheduler. You can keep hitting the auto-scheduler button and setting up different parameters - the fights just get added to those already scheduled.

C) Scheduling young fighter bouts:

-1) Leave the general settings tab as it was for the established fighter scheduling.
-2) Red Corner Tab:
----g. Designate - No
----h. Group - AABU
----i. Era - All
----j. Division - SW
----l. Rank Min. - blank
----m. Rank Max. - blank
----q. Bouts max. - 9
----r. Style - All
----s. Southpaw - All
-3) Blue Corner Tab:
----g. Designate - No
----h. Group - AABU
----i. Era - All
----j. Division - SW
----l. Rank Min. - blank
----m. Rank Max. - blank
----o. Rating max. - 1
----r. Style - All
----s. Southpaw - All
-4) Fight Options Tab:
----a. Apply rule set - AABU (see post above about creating rule sets)
----b. Scoring system - 10 point
----c. Number of rounds - 6
----d. Two minute rounds - unchecked
----e. Computer selects strategies for: - All four boxes checked
----f. Fight date - blank (or whatever the last you had
------ it will be over-written based on the first tab settings)
----g. Venue - Random (A venue from one of the two
------ fighter's countries will be selected randomly)
----h. All other boxes - Random (except judges bias
------ I select 'use bias rating')
5) Click schedule bouts in lower right corner
6) Repeat 1) through 5) for each of the other regional groups

Sidebar:

Now I have all the fights scheduled for the SW division for August, 1903. The total bouts scheduled this time ended up as 143. On the surface, that looks like we have 286 of 373 total active SW in action this month. It really is not that high though because many of the 1 rated fighters (mostly stiffs) have been scheduled both as opponents in the established fighter section and as opponents in the young fighter section. I would guess that the actual number of SW in action here is about 200 of the 373 total SW that are active. Again, a bit high this month but it all evens out. Also note, that in setting it up this way, the young fighters will frequently (but not any where near always) fight every month until they hit their tenth fight.

D) Removing fighters engaged in a title fight:

-1) See the post above for the regional month title fight selection process
-2) With the title fight paper created in the above post in front of you, scan down through the scheduled fights and remove every fight that contains a contestant on the sheet. In this case, there is one regional title fight and four minor title fights. I have 10 names to scan for and found 7 of them scheduled. I remove those bouts (7 separate bouts in this case as none of the names came up together in the scheduler). That further reduces the bout totals noted above for the month.

E) Saving bout logs:

-1) I now go through and check the 'save' box and every fight that I want to save a log for. In this case, I saw 17 fights that I thought I may have a wish to review (I may never actually look at them but I think that I might - so they get checked).

F) Title fights:

You could load the title fights determined per the post above on that along with all of these auto-scheduled fights. You do that by clicking the add button to the left of the auto-scheduler button at the bottom of the screen. I generally watch all the title fights (some in fast mode) with the Start Fight button from the start screen. But you can add some or all of them here if you wish.

Then hit the start fights button at the bottom right and all the bouts will run. In this case, you would be done with SW division for the month. It sounds like an awful lot when written out but this whole process including taking notes for anything that I want to write-up on my website takes about 20 minutes.

That took two hours to go through, I may have described some of it poorly so feel free to ask any questions you may like.

Up Next:

3) International play
- World title fights
- Match-ups

Last edited by CONN CHRIS; 08-25-2006 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:53 PM   #40
kenyan_cheena
Hall Of Famer

Damn, just scrolling down that post made my head spin. Your dedication to your universe and the effort you put into it puts us all to shame, Chris. Great stuff.
kenyan_cheena is offline   Reply With Quote