Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21- New to the Game?

OOTP 21- New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 03-28-2020, 04:21 PM   #1
Sin44
Minors (Single A)

Developing New Positions? / 1st base to 3rd base

If I have a prospect who is a 70 rated 1st baseman but I already have a great first basemen.

If I change his position to 3rd base, will he start gaining points for that position?

Basically what I'm asking is can I train my minor league players for any position within reason over time?
Sin44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 04:59 PM   #2
WIUPIKE
All Star Starter

If you start them in a position they do have a chance of developing at that position. Most of the time they will get some experience but may not develop if they do not have the skills (range for say)
WIUPIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 05:09 PM   #3
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Some players will, and some won't. Like real life, you have to try them and see.

Some players just aren't capable of learning another position.
Bluenoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 06:08 PM   #4
CroBaseballNewb
Bat Boy

Best and fastest way for players to learn a new position is during spring training. You can also force them to play a certain position in minors an they will gradually become better.

Regarding 3B, I think I read somewhere on this forum that leftys can't learn that position no matter how good their defensive ratings are.
CroBaseballNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 06:24 PM   #5
crowhop
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroBaseballNewb View Post
Best and fastest way for players to learn a new position is during spring training. You can also force them to play a certain position in minors an they will gradually become better.

Regarding 3B, I think I read somewhere on this forum that leftys can't learn that position no matter how good their defensive ratings are.
This is true for 2B, SS and 3B. I assume Catcher also, though I don't know.

If you play in Commish Mode and edit the player you can test what each guy can become with a certain number of games played.
crowhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 07:22 PM   #6
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin44 View Post
If I have a prospect who is a 70 rated 1st baseman but I already have a great first basemen.

If I change his position to 3rd base, will he start gaining points for that position?

Basically what I'm asking is can I train my minor league players for any position within reason over time?
Yes
Play them there and they will learn

But, they have to have some aptitude. A first baseman with 30 range and 30 arm is never going to make a good third baseman.
They are not a good fielder, that's why they are a first baseman

Last edited by CBeisbol; 03-30-2020 at 11:14 PM.
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 11:07 PM   #7
BigCountryBumgarner
Minors (Rookie Ball)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defensive_spectrum

This game follows the defensive spectrum. A player who starts at 3B will be able to learn 1B a lot easier than a 1B can learn anything else. So your first baseman will probably struggle because if he could play any harder position he already would be.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited by BigCountryBumgarner; 03-30-2020 at 11:08 PM.
BigCountryBumgarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 06:35 AM   #8
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

This is incorrect. A player may or not learn a new position. There is no fast track to learning. If, a BIG if, they have the aptitude for that position, then the more they play it, the better they will become.

ST is 5 weeks. They will learn some there but if you want to convert a players position it's best to do it while they are in the minors and can get a lot of playing time at the position.
Bluenoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 07:28 AM   #9
crowhop
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
This is incorrect. A player may or not learn a new position. There is no fast track to learning. If, a BIG if, they have the aptitude for that position, then the more they play it, the better they will become.

ST is 5 weeks. They will learn some there but if you want to convert a players position it's best to do it while they are in the minors and can get a lot of playing time at the position.
Exactly right. Learning is strictly based on games/innings played.
If a guy plays one game at the new position and improves 5 points, it means his ceiling is higher than a guy who plays a game at a new position and improves only 2 points. The player isn't really learning it any "faster", though it takes fewer games to become proficient. It takes the same number of games for all players to hit their ceiling.

Height is also a limiting factor. Short guys can become only so great at 1B, no matter what their ratings are.

Every position has areas of focus: 3B is weighted to Arm, LF to Error, RF to Arm, CF to Range, SS and 2B to Range and Double Plays.

And LH Catchers can work within the game.

Last edited by crowhop; 03-31-2020 at 07:34 AM.
crowhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 11:49 AM   #10
CroBaseballNewb
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post

Positional rating increases faster during ST, it was confirmed by the devs, and I have seen it in my saves. Unless they changed it this year.

How good or bad he will be depends on his defensive ratings. If his 1B has 55+ infield defensive ratings he should be a decent 3B.
CroBaseballNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 06:32 PM   #11
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Learning New Positions
Players learn positions much more quickly when they play them during Spring Training. See Learning New Positions for more information about new positions.
http://www.manuals.ootpdevelopments...._stats_batting
Old 04-06-2020, 05:53 PM   #12
wutinthehail
Bat Boy

How do you make a player learn a new position on the minor leagues? For example, you have a 2nd baseman but you want him to learn shortstop as well. What about moving a player over to SS if the regular SS is hurt instead of calling someone up for a few days? Thanks!
wutinthehail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 07:21 PM   #13
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutinthehail View Post
How do you make a player learn a new position on the minor leagues? For example, you have a 2nd baseman but you want him to learn shortstop as well. What about moving a player over to SS if the regular SS is hurt instead of calling someone up for a few days? Thanks!
I go in and micro manage the hell out if my lineups.

Every fifth day (for reasons related to my major league team's rotation) I juggle all my minor league lineups. Move guys between positions and move guys between the bench and starting lineup

The minors are there to develop guys. That's what I do
Old 04-07-2020, 07:33 PM   #14
chazzycat
All Star Starter

There's no need for that level of micromanagement. In the individual player strategy there is an option "force player to start at X position". Just set that and be done.
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 07:35 PM   #15
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzycat View Post
There's no need for that level of micromanagement. In the individual player strategy there is an option "force player to start at X position". Just set that and be done.
Yes
I force all my players to start at different positions
Old 04-08-2020, 08:17 AM   #16
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Trying to teach a career 1B to play anywhere else is highly likely to be futile. You should trade the prospect or the veteran. And don't draft any 1B in the future. Most of the time you're going to have a player or two at MLB level who is losing his ability to play OF or 3B or whatever who you can more to 1B.
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 09:14 AM   #17
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

People are disagreeing with the first point for some reason but it’s true. Spring training increases the learning rate for a new position by a factor of 2 or more. No, it’s not enough to get a 200 in familiarity at the position but it should be enough to tell whether or not the player will “take” there, and if it’s a rightward position on the spectrum, like 1B or LF, it should be enough to make a player passable.

To left handed 3rd baseman and the like, it should be pointed out that there hasn’t been a lefty 3B who played regularly since the 19th century and only a handful of players have been used like that at all. Consider, too, that left handed people make up approximately 5% of the population but about a third of all pitchers. That means that basically any lefty playing baseball with any kind of an arm gets converted to pitcher, even as early as Little League. The only lefties playing positions (and they’re also over represented among position players) are ones without the elite arms you need to play 3rd or short or catcher.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:30 AM   #18
CBeisbol
Banned

Don't think anyone's spelled it out for the OP

The conversion depends on the defensive ratings of the player

Range: a 3B needs more range than a 1B
At least 40, IMO.
Arm: A 3B needs a better arm than a 1B. At least 50.

I think these are the most important. The above won't make a good 3B but if the player can hit it might be good enough.

Error and double plays are less important at third, but, of course, higher rating is better.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:40 AM   #19
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

The overall rating is just an amalgamation of error/arm/range/turn DPs (the mix being dependent on the position) and an internal "familiarity" rating that goes from 0 to 200 depending on how experienced a player is at it. If you've played a guy at a position for all of spring training or a couple months in the minors and he still doesn't have a rating there, it's a sign that he's lacking in some aspect (or he has some other attribute, like the aforementioned fact that left-handed throwers can never learn 3B) that means he'll never be able to fill the spot.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 05:15 PM   #20
Number5
Minors (Rookie Ball)

It is very unlikely your plan will work. Both in IRL and in OOTP, 1B is usually where someone goes when there are no other options for him.

There might be a rare case where someone is an elite 1B, but a mediocre LF/RF/2B/3B, especially if he is very tall, so he can be converted into a stopgap serviceable other position. However, in 99% of cases, if you see a young guy as 1B, its because he can't play anything else (or if he is particularly fat, he can't really even play that but the game doesn't assign "DH" to anyone, so he stays as 1B)

I'll upload a pic of a 1B i'd consider for learning 3B, but he's throwing lefty. If he were a righty, you could have him learn 3B, even play him as a stopgap as 3B if you absolutely have to play someone else at 1B (like, your also great DH needs 1B in interleague), but in longterm you're trading an elite 1B for an ****ty 3B and that's just not worth it, get a proper 3B instead.

So i'd say definetly an arm of 50, range of 40 as the lowest you could go. If he has a lower arm than 50, you have to think ****ty 2B, not ****ty 3B if the turn DP rating is at least 40 or something. If he neither has arm nor turn DP, check the outfield ratings, if that fails too, well, he's a 1B for a reason.
Attached Images

Last edited by Number5; 04-15-2020 at 05:22 PM.
Number5 is offline   Reply With Quote