Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

General Discussions Discuss Out of the Park Developments' games, web site, downloads, research and anything else related to OOTP Developments.

Old 02-28-2020, 04:00 PM   #1
drksd4848
All Star Starter

Savannah Bananas baseball team removing all advertising from games this season

The Savannah Bananas are my new favorite baseball team:

https://www.savannahnow.com/sports/2...es-this-season

From the article:

Quote:
“No signage, no announcements, no nothing,” said Jared Orton, president of the Bananas, entering their fifth year in the Coastal Plain League, a collegiate summer league. “We’re giving the stadium back to the fans and back to the history of Grayson Stadium.”
Imagine that.

In a day and age where the "Slimy Swoosh" has marred every jersey in sports - including this year, MLB - and where a repugnant, ineffective commissioner catering to repulsive owners, have tried to ram adverts down everyone's throat, on every square inch of every stadium, one team has realized how bad it has become and have taken the high road.

It wasn't always this way with MLB, and this isn't the first time it has happened. Some time around 1946, MLB owners decided having ads around the ballparks were icky, and the league had integrity. They took them all down. It wasn't until "Blackmail Bud" threw out the last real commissioner and said, "Hey! Here's a way to let your team suck, but still make money!"

The line that really stands out from the article is this:

Quote:
WeÂ’re giving the stadium back to the fans
In MLB, it's not about the fans, it's about using baseball to market to the fans. Forget about the game!

It's just another reason why, as far as I'm concerned, MLB can die. And it will. Eventually. It deserves it.

Last edited by drksd4848; 02-28-2020 at 04:03 PM.
drksd4848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 04:19 PM   #2
progen
All Star Starter

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I live in Savannah and have gone to many Banana games. Every game is sold out, 4000-4200 fans. It's the craziest atmosphere I've ever seen. On their way up to NY from spring training, the Yankees would stop and play the Savannah Indians. Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, etc. Also Aaron, Smoltz and a bunch of others played at Grayson.

I moved here in 2016, and the Sand Gnats(Mets A team), had moved out, so I was glad to see that the stadium is still standing, and that there's a new team in town. Coastal League is similar to the Cape Cod league, where there are college kids playing for about 2 and a half months.
progen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 04:41 PM   #3
drksd4848
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by progen View Post
I live in Savannah and have gone to many Banana games. Every game is sold out, 4000-4200 fans. It's the craziest atmosphere I've ever seen. On their way up to NY from spring training, the Yankees would stop and play the Savannah Indians. Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, etc. Also Aaron, Smoltz and a bunch of others played at Grayson.

I moved here in 2016, and the Sand Gnats(Mets A team), had moved out, so I was glad to see that the stadium is still standing, and that there's a new team in town. Coastal League is similar to the Cape Cod league, where there are college kids playing for about 2 and a half months.

They sort of remind me of the White Sox under Bill Veeck. Irreverent. Don't take themselves too seriously. Something that today's sports teams are sorely lacking.
Old 02-29-2020, 04:37 PM   #4
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Now that you mention it, this I really do object to: "In a day and age where the "Slimy Swoosh" has marred every jersey in sports - including this year, MLB." I kind of thought that was new - I did not remember seeing it before - and your statement along with a quick search confirms it. For crying out loud; especially on a uniform as traditional as the Yankees.

Oddly enough, though I certainly respect your opinion on the matter and generally agree with it wholeheartedly (don't get me started on naming stadiums after corporations), I don't really mind the kind of ads we see on ballpark walls - in the minor and independent leagues especially. That is sort of traditional in itself.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 09:29 AM   #5
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Oddly enough, though I certainly respect your opinion on the matter and generally agree with it wholeheartedly (don't get me started on naming stadiums after corporations), I don't really mind the kind of ads we see on ballpark walls - in the minor and independent leagues especially. That is sort of traditional in itself.
I agree with the ads on the outfield walls. Those can be kind of fun. On the other hand, I went to a minor league hockey game for the first time in a number of years (Ft. Wayne Komets) and there were so many ads on the ice that it looked like staring into a kaleidoscope!

Let's Go Crew
Boomcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 03:11 PM   #6
drksd4848
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DéjÃ* Bru View Post
Now that you mention it, this I really do object to: "In a day and age where the "Slimy Swoosh" has marred every jersey in sports - including this year, MLB." I kind of thought that was new - I did not remember seeing it before - and your statement along with a quick search confirms it. For crying out loud; especially on a uniform as traditional as the Yankees.

Outfield wall adverts: So long as it is kept to a minimum number and it's integrated well, I find them barely tolerable. But as a whole, I believe ads should be kept out of the field of play and the only thing you should primarily see is the game on the field.

But here's the thing: The advertising placement has gone completely over board. On every square inch of a ballpark, you will find some sort of advert plastered on it. At Fenway park, there is an advert for every camera angle. It is heinously disgusting. How can you focus on the game?! You mean to tell me that I have to sit through what is *now* 3:30 in commercials between innings and during the inning you have to ram still more commercials down my throat???? <EXPLETIVE> YOU MLB!!

So, what is happening now is that it is not about a baseball game on the field. It is about using that game on the field as a marketing/advertising delivery system to the spectators. With the backstop ads, it has gone off the rails to the point where the director has to stay on the center field camera as much as possible to make sure the ad gets enough screen time. That's right folks!, The backstop ads are limiting the ability to tell a visual story! I swear to God, I would not be surprised if the players are encouraged to foul off a few extra pitches to keep the camera locked on the backstop. I really mean it!

A little perspective here: I think it was the Orioles and Larry Lucchino who came up with the idea for Camden Yards in the spirit of the old style ballpark. And I remembering it being a big deal: MLB (read: Real Commissioner Fay Vincent) was hesitant to do it, and it had to adhere to a specific standard for approval. At that time, the primary focus was... <drum roll> The game on the field! How about that!!!

But once Blackmail Bud took over, he let the horse out of the barn. Then it was the backstop ads, etc. (Thanks New York Yankees)

I urge all of you to go to youtube and watch a game from the 70s or 80s on Classicmlb1 To watch a baseball game from back then is like a blast of cool crisp fresh air. The games moved faster, they were far more visually interesting, far more compelling, and it was all about watching a baseball game, not constantly being delivered a a non-stop stream of advertising. They were there, but far more manageable.

Last edited by drksd4848; 03-03-2020 at 03:42 PM.