Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - New to the Game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 05-08-2018, 08:16 AM   #1
Downeaster59
Bat Boy

A few questions

Hello! I bought OOTP a few years ago, but have been out of the loop for a while. I'd like to get back to it. I have a few questions before I buy the game, though. Sorry if any have been asked already.

1) If I want to import an individual historical player into a game (either to see how some past player would do now, or, say, to see how Sandy Koufax might have done in 1968 if he didn't have to retire), how easy/difficult is it to do that?

2) If a historical player is imported into a current team, or any team of a different era than that player, does OOTP adjust the stats accordingly? In other words, would a batter from 1968 hit better in 1998, or would a batter from 1998 hit way fewer home runs in 1908?

3) Does OOTP 19 have access to older stadiums, or older dimensions of current ones? I'm thinking of Fenway Park in 1916, with that 505 foot center field distance, or the Polo Grounds, as examples.

Thanks for your help.
Downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 12:35 AM   #2
Reggie
Major Leagues

I can answer #1. It depends how computer literate you are. I'm not very literate at all but I did it. Took me over an hour to finally figure it out but after I did it once it's really not that difficult.

And #3 I finally accomplished tonight. That took me even longer to get done the first time. I blame it on me not understanding files systems very well. Thinking I was putting it in the right folder but I wasn't. I did get one into my game though, Don't know if the specific stadium you mention is in there but some people spent some serious time making historic and fictional stadiums. They are in the MOD section of the forum.

Last edited by Reggie; 05-09-2018 at 12:40 AM.
Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:20 AM   #3
Downeaster59
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
I can answer #1. It depends how computer literate you are. I'm not very literate at all but I did it. Took me over an hour to finally figure it out but after I did it once it's really not that difficult.

And #3 I finally accomplished tonight. That took me even longer to get done the first time. I blame it on me not understanding files systems very well. Thinking I was putting it in the right folder but I wasn't. I did get one into my game though, Don't know if the specific stadium you mention is in there but some people spent some serious time making historic and fictional stadiums. They are in the MOD section of the forum.
I've been playing around with computers for twenty-five years, so I can probably manage it.

I've gone ahead, bought the game, and played an exhibition game, just to get the feel of it. I'm getting hooked all over again! OOTP has come a long way since I last played it (OOTP 13, I think). I haven't yet set up a season or tried to import players on my own, but I may try that soon. So, anything you can share would be helpful.

I'll check out the MOD section for stadiums. Thanks.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:53 AM   #4
Reggie
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downeaster59 View Post
I've been playing around with computers for twenty-five years, so I can probably manage it.

I've gone ahead, bought the game, and played an exhibition game, just to get the feel of it. I'm getting hooked all over again! OOTP has come a long way since I last played it (OOTP 13, I think). I haven't yet set up a season or tried to import players on my own, but I may try that soon. So, anything you can share would be helpful.

I'll check out the MOD section for stadiums. Thanks.
Should be pretty straight forward for you then. Hardest part for me was finding player ID's. They are in the stats folder. After you get those it only takes a minute to import a player.
My issue with the stadiums was I could get them in the game easy enough but the crowd would never show up. The stands were just black. I still don't know how I ended up getting the crowd to show up but I'm pretty sure it involves having the file in the right location.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:55 PM   #5
micropterus58
All Star Starter

Look at the manual on how to import historic players. Search the forums (17-19) on this topic. I have answered this question a few times.

https://manuals.ootpdevelopments.com...19&page=ootp19

micropterus58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 03:03 PM   #6
Reggie
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by micropterus58 View Post
Look at the manual on how to import historic players. Search the forums (17-19) on this topic. I have answered this question a few times.

The problem with the manual is it doesn't tell you how to find a player ID. It gives you a dead link to Baseball reference ...and you are on your own.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:46 PM   #7
Downeaster59
Bat Boy

Well, I downloaded the Lahman database, so I could look up player ID's. Then I did a little experiment. I created a custom game using the option to set up the 2018 teams and lineups. I then decided to see if I could make the Orioles a winner. I gave them Mike Cuellar, Jim Palmer, Dave McNally, Mike Flanagan and Mike Boddicker - four Cy winners and one almost-Cy. I gave them Hoyt Wilhelm and Tippy Martinez in the bullpen. I gave them Boog Powell, Frank Robinson, Eddie Murray, Cal Ripken, and Brooks Robinson, to name a few.

I started a game and then had a warning about roster violations. So I learned what I did wrong there. Most of the imported players were somehow in the 25 man roster but not in the 40 man roster. So, I fixed that. Then, I let the AI run the game from late March through today.

The Orioles are in last place as of now. (Toronto is in first in the AL East, believe it or not). Everyone except Boog Powell is underperforming. The starting pitchers have an era of nearly 5. I know there's an element of chance to this, but the next step is to see what the settings are for importing historical players and see if they need to be adjusted in any way.

I definitely like OOTP 19 overall, but there is more of a learning curve to OOTP 19 than to 13, when I last played it. I'd like to just play the games and not have much GM stuff to do, at least for now. Maybe the better way to begin is to just take one team as is and play it through a season and see how I do! I'm learning, though.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:41 AM   #8
CecilCooper
Major Leagues

I've never done an import this way, only from the random entry draft type of way, but when you import a player in this manner, are you importing him as a rookie? If so, that could explain why they are not performing to your standards.
CecilCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:50 AM   #9
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

MLB.csv Milb.csv has all the player IDs in the game (column B). they are located in the stats folder. i open them with Apache Open Office spreadsheet (free program). you are importing him as a rookie if you use the debut year. You can change that year to any of his career when you type the year after his player ID.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.

Last edited by mitchkenn; 05-10-2018 at 09:52 AM.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 12:17 PM   #10
Downeaster59
Bat Boy

Well, when I import a player, I also indicate the year/season I want for that player. When I check out the player's real stats, I see the years leading up to the year I chose. Perhaps most of the team is in a slump! We will see.

In my previous experience with OOTP (13), most players I imported would, by the end of the season, have stats pretty close to their real-life stats for that year. A few would be way below; a few would be way above any real-life season they ever had. The same with some teams. Once I simulated 1969. Willie Mays barely hit .200, while Frank Howard had 60 homers and the Senators won 99 games. The Orioles won 114 games, but the Twins beat them in the ALCS and then beat the Mets in six to win the Series. Ya never know.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:03 PM   #11
micropterus58
All Star Starter

Baseball Reference
https://www.baseball-reference.com/

link for Boog Powell. The ID is the last part = powelbo01

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...owelbo01.shtml

Use the ID along with the year to import. You can also assign the player to a team or as a free agent.
micropterus58 is offline   Reply With Quote