Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-31-2019, 05:31 PM   #1
chriskelly
All Star Reserve

do you guys have house rules to make AI trading more realistic?

I am 1 week into 2019, real rosters, Marlins. Scouting accuracy is on High. trade dif is high / favor prospects. 50% ratings, then 35%, 10%, 5%. I just stared, and with accuracy on high, i feel computer players are currently very close to their real life equivalents.

I mainly trade solely by shopping players. What I'm finding:
-Many teams who are not good will trade solid youth for a 38 year old Curtis Granderson. For example, baltimore is somehow in 'win now' mode and will give me their young starting 3B. No idea why.
-BOS is trying to get rid of 1 of their 3 catchers. that makes sense. but, one of the players they are willing to take back.....my backup catcher
-Teams seem willing to trade quite a bit for guys that won't crack their starting lineup.
-I have a feeling AI teams aren't considering when their injured players will return. For example, NY will trade Greg Bird for Granderson. Is this because Hicks is currently hurt? I can see how bench depth might help them, but bird is better rated as a bench player than Grandy, as is their best AAA OF.

I end up saving, making a deal, simming a few days, and seeing what the AI does. if it seems they traded for a guy and gave him a big role, then fine. if not I alt/ctr/delete back and undo it.

I'm tempted to switch to very hard. Have you guys found a best fit for ratings vs stats in AI evaluation? also, how does that work at the beginning of the season? Does the AI then value ratings or prior year stats more than it would later in the year? I almost never do more than a 2 for 2 trade, or it seems too easy to steal
chriskelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 05:38 PM   #2
starfox64
Minors (Single A)

I'm conflicted about this, but I usually think the default hard/favor prospects works pretty well. In hindsight some of my trades turned out a little lopsided but they didn't appear so at the time.
starfox64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 10:38 PM   #3
pgjocki
All Star Starter

It happens every year but unfortunately the best option is to sim the first year and really dig into the league the starting the second year. I have inquired and have received feedback from Matt and others that when the game is created all 29 AI GM's start the process of shaping the team they way they want based on the programming logic and it sorta defies what we (the player) would do.

Also, it has been stated numerous times that the AI doesn't see names and only sees the underlying ratings and stats based on the percentages you have set. The AI must balance the current season with its long term plan and for the most part the AI is not found of taking on long term salaries and will give up on players earlier than the player.

I just try and put myself in the shoes of the AI and ask if I would make the trade if I was on the other end. I usually handicap myself by severely limiting the number of trades per season (usually only 1 or 2 trades per year and only at trade deadline). This is more to make the game harder on me but with the improved AI the last few versions I haven't won a World Series since calendar year 2017 and I'm hoping the drought ends this summer.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:32 PM   #4
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
I just do challenge mode and forget about it.

Usually smaller market team. Lots of trades mostly minor leagues.

The dump contracts can be a problem. But I don't think other ai teams do it cause they can't eat the contract themselves. Most of the time at least.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 11:54 PM   #5
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

i like defaults. i usually have to pay a hefty price for a high-end prospect wihtout any weighting... sometimes i get a steal, and that is supposed to be possible, too.

i'd rather have ~default/neutral and let the various sliders of the AI GMs dictate whom they prefer. i have found skewing similar contexts tends to have ramifications i dislike more than any inevitable faults in modeling from ootp (nobody is perfect, limited resources, etc etc), so i typically avoid it.

no idea about proportions. way too much work to analyze thousands of real life trades and figure out what ratio are lopsided given only knowledge at the time of trade -- without any hindsight bias.... impossible to do easily and just a tone of work to colelct that data in useable form.

so, it's all about your perception... make yourself happy. it's entertainment!
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 01:18 AM   #6
ashantewarrier
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post
I just do challenge mode and forget about it.

Usually smaller market team. Lots of trades mostly minor leagues.

The dump contracts can be a problem. But I don't think other ai teams do it cause they can't eat the contract themselves. Most of the time at least.
Unfortunately it appears that Challenge Mode is not working with version 20.0.29.
-Jackie Robinson, #42 Brooklyn Dodgers

"Hitting is better than sex." - Reggie Jackson
ashantewarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 01:33 AM   #7
endgame
Hall Of Famer

To your question, no, I don't. The only house rule I have besides don't use house rules is: if it happens in the game it happens in the game.

On a related note, though, I just read a response from a GM I was negotiating with and it said this was probably the worst deal he'd ever seen. I started mentally scrolling through my options when I realized I was also muttering at the screen, "Yeah, you're probably right." That felt real.