Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - New to the Game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 08-08-2016, 07:22 PM   #1
Muigi
Bat Boy

0 Days on DFA and i cannot move the player to any team

Hello, I'm new to OOTP and new to baseball. iv been been having fun with the game and thought id try my hand at some transfers.

I Traded for 2 players, one i put right into my Active 25 man squad, no problem.

The other player i put into my 40 man Roster, but it looks like that might not be a valid move.

His DFA has run out, so i tried to put him into the lower leagues but i get a "player is out of option years" and i don't know what that means?

to solve the problem i moved another player from the 25 to the lower leagues and put the player in his place.

tl;dr

What dose "player is out of option years" mean and is the 40 man Roster a vaild place to move people?
also was there anything else i could have done?
Muigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:12 PM   #2
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muigi View Post
Hello, I'm new to OOTP and new to baseball. iv been been having fun with the game and thought id try my hand at some transfers.

I Traded for 2 players, one i put right into my Active 25 man squad, no problem.

The other player i put into my 40 man Roster, but it looks like that might not be a valid move.

His DFA has run out, so i tried to put him into the lower leagues but i get a "player is out of option years" and i don't know what that means?

to solve the problem i moved another player from the 25 to the lower leagues and put the player in his place.

tl;dr

What dose "player is out of option years" mean and is the 40 man Roster a vaild place to move people?
also was there anything else i could have done?
Out of options means he must be on the 25-man roster unless he passes through waivers. Even then if he has 5+ years of MLB service he can refuse to be demoted after being waived and you still can't send him down.

On your Rosters & Transactions screen all but some minor league players will have one or more symbols after their name

* on 40-man roster
Note all 25-man roster players are on the 40-man by default. Also note all players with Major League salaries must be on the 40-man.

+ out of options
# rule 5 draft eligible
^ right to refuse assignment

There are others but these are sufficient. When you trade for a player from another teams 25-man you must expect him to be on yours. You may get lucky ie he has options but don't count on it. Check before you trade.

Bottom line is; don't dilly dally with a player on DFA. The good news! We've all done it.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:23 PM   #3
Muigi
Bat Boy

Thanks for the helpful info.

so if they are a 25 man player or have, i guess ill call it, a MLB pro contract they have to be on the 25 man.

So say i fined a good prospect in the lower leagues and want him to play a some games in the season, would putting him on the 40 take him off the DFA or would i have to put him in the 25 or a lower league team?
Muigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:05 PM   #4
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks for the helpful info.

so if they are a 25 man player or have, i guess ill call it, a MLB pro contract they have to be on the 25 man.
No they must be on the 40-man. Your active roster in-season is the 25-man roster. Your Major League roster

Quote:
So say i fined a good prospect in the lower leagues and want him to play a some games in the season, would putting him on the 40 take him off the DFA or would i have to put him in the 25 or a lower league team?
Prospects should not typically be on DFA. That is for recently traded players and for players you no longer want ie. on waivers. Putting a player on the 40-man roster does not remove him from DFA. You must assign a player from the Designated For Assignment list to your MLB roster, one of your minor league rosters or release him.

You don't generally want to put a prospect onto the 40-man until you have to. Once a player is on the 40-man you start the option year clock.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 12:03 PM   #5
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

So basically, what can you do now?

Since the player is out of options, you'll need to put him on the 25-man roster, if only for a day. This means you'll need to send someone else on your 25-man roster to the minors, if only for a day.

Once he's on the 25-man roster, since it sounds like you don't really want him there and want him to be in the minors, you'll need to pass him through waivers first and then hope he passes through. So choose "waive and designate player for assignment." He'll be on waivers for 3 days, and yes, you do run the risk of losing him. But that's the case with any player who's out of option years and you want to send to the minors.

If he gets claimed, you'll receive a message. If the three days pass and he clears waivers, you won't get a message. You'll need to remember to check the waiver wire. But the good news is that if he does clear waivers, you'll be able to assign him to any minor league team you wish. Just remember to make sure not to run into the 10-day DFA time limit again!

And, of course, if you decide to call him back up to the majors, and then want to send him back down to the minors, you have to do the process all over again. Because that's what happens when a player is out of options.

SPTT team

Was not a Snag fan...until I saw the fallout once he was gone and realized what a good job he was actually doing. - Ty Cobb
BigRed75 is offline   Reply With Quote