Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:47 PM   #1
gysgtam
Minors (Single A)

Mets fan thinking about switching teams

I have been a Mets fan since about 1984 and I have had it....First they take the coke away from Doc then decide Strawberry is better off in L.A. they have signed nothing but duds or will sign Piazza then nothing else around him, they will sign an old Beltran because he had a good playoff series....Its ridiculous an aging Johan who is still good but no one hits the ball. They tied up all their money with Madoff and it's really like they aren't even trying. The Mets trainer was implicated in all that steroid stuff yet Butch Huskey still only had warning track power.....Anyway I am looking for a new team any suggestions? My requirements are:
They try to win more then 1 world series in 28 years!
They do not tie all the team money up with a ponzi scheme
Don't have outfield fences that would of made Bonds up his dosage.
A prospect.....ANY prospect....Even a scout would be nice that has the ability to find a prospect
I have the Extra Innings Package so location isn't important and I am stationed in North Carolina so I couldn't going to the games anyway....
Old 04-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #2
oman19
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gysgtam View Post
I have been a Mets fan since about 1984 and I have had it....First they take the coke away from Doc then decide Strawberry is better off in L.A. they have signed nothing but duds or will sign Piazza then nothing else around him, they will sign an old Beltran because he had a good playoff series....Its ridiculous an aging Johan who is still good but no one hits the ball. They tied up all their money with Madoff and it's really like they aren't even trying. The Mets trainer was implicated in all that steroid stuff yet Butch Huskey still only had warning track power.....Anyway I am looking for a new team any suggestions? My requirements are:
A prospect.....ANY prospect....Even a scout would be nice that has the ability to find a prospect
I have the Extra Innings Package so location isn't important and I am stationed in North Carolina so I couldn't going to the games anyway....
I'll invite you to join us Detroit fans

We meet most the criteria. Well minus the fences CoAmerica are pretty deep. We havn't won it all since 84' but Illitch, the owner, is running this team like he runs the Red Wings (wasn't always the case but he has seen the light) so as long as he owns it we'll contend.

My OOTP wishlist: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...-wishlist.html
oman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #3
yankeesrule
All Star Starter

come to the dark side, switch to the better part of town, and become a yankee fan. our bandwagon is never full and we meet all your requirements
yankeesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:10 AM   #4
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gysgtam View Post
Swapping teams what next a free agency period for fans Serious though what kind of reaction is there to fans swapping teams in America? I know my cousin would be kicked out of his town if he swapped teams from the Packers to say the Bears, same over here if I swapped from Wigan Athletic to Man Utd I'd be laughed at by not only Wigan fans but Man Utd fans.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:59 PM   #5
oman19
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukhotstove View Post
Swapping teams what next a free agency period for fans Serious though what kind of reaction is there to fans swapping teams in America? I know my cousin would be kicked out of his town if he swapped teams from the Packers to say the Bears, same over here if I swapped from Wigan Athletic to Man Utd I'd be laughed at by not only Wigan fans but Man Utd fans.
Agreed. Even for the decade the Tigers were bad I still was a fan. It does suck going through those bad years but it makes when they do win all that much sweeter.

Although some clubs would push the boundries of my patience such as the Pirates.

My OOTP wishlist: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...-wishlist.html
oman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:54 PM   #6
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Don't bail on them now. They're 2-0! If they keep this up, their chances of finishing the season ten games below .500, or slightly better, are decent.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:04 PM   #7
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caporegime View Post
Don't bail on them now. They're 2-0! If they keep this up, their chances of finishing the season ten games below .500, or slightly better, are decent.
Yankees fan here to say that he watched the Mets game today and he . . . enjoyed it!

My point: My expectations are low. Mets can be a soother when Yankees fan pressure gets to be too much.
1998 Yankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:52 AM   #8
ezpkns34
All Star Reserve

So you want to be a front-runner? Sounds like NYY or Boston
ezpkns34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:59 AM   #9
hopeful1212
Major Leagues

Can't go wrong with the defending World Series champs!
hopeful1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:12 AM   #10
jazzrack
Hall Of Famer

cubs, try the cubs

Was once Head Cheese of Corporate League Baseball
jazzrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:26 AM   #11
rjl518
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesrule View Post
come to the dark side, switch to the better part of town, and become a yankee fan. our bandwagon is never full and we meet all your requirements
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! DONT DO IT!!!! Dont become a part of the evil Galactic Empire!

"Colon looking for his 1st hit of the year and he DRIVES ONE! Deep left field! Back goes Upton! Back near the wall! ITS OUTTA HERE!!! Bartolo has done it!!! THE IMPOSSIBLE HAS HAPPENED!!! This is one of the great moments in the history of baseball! Bartolo Colon has gone deep!" ---Gary Cohen. (May 7, 2016) (Petco Park) NYM 6 @ SD 3
rjl518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:28 AM   #12
rjl518
Hall Of Famer

I have been a mets fan all my life...and i live in florida now cheering on my NEW Miami Marlins. But my heart is still in Citi Field! Gorgeous ballpark by the way. Wish the team was too. Go Mets!

"Colon looking for his 1st hit of the year and he DRIVES ONE! Deep left field! Back goes Upton! Back near the wall! ITS OUTTA HERE!!! Bartolo has done it!!! THE IMPOSSIBLE HAS HAPPENED!!! This is one of the great moments in the history of baseball! Bartolo Colon has gone deep!" ---Gary Cohen. (May 7, 2016) (Petco Park) NYM 6 @ SD 3
Old 04-16-2012, 08:13 PM   #13
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjl518 View Post
I have been a mets fan all my life...and i live in florida now cheering on my NEW Miami Marlins. But my heart is still in Citi Field! Gorgeous ballpark by the way. Wish the team was too. Go Mets!
It may interest you to know that I, a lifelong Yankees fan, have taken a more than passing interest in the Mets this year. They will never replace the Yanks in my heart, but I can root for the Mets except head-to-head, of course. My fellow Yankees fans will not like this but I'm not your average New York baseball fan, apparently. Or so is my impression from what I've been told.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:42 PM   #14
rjl518
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998 Yankees View Post
It may interest you to know that I, a lifelong Yankees fan, have taken a more than passing interest in the Mets this year. They will never replace the Yanks in my heart, but I can root for the Mets except head-to-head, of course. My fellow Yankees fans will not like this but I'm not your average New York baseball fan, apparently. Or so is my impression from what I've been told.
trust me , Sir...i will not disrespect the yankees...and when i was kid in new york i went to many a game at both shea and yankees stadium...i fell in love with the mets...and i just couldnt get with the yankees...they just didnt feel right to me...i was born in queens so maybe that had something to do with it.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:44 PM   #15
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
trust me , Sir...i will not disrespect the yankees...and when i was kid in new york i went to many a game at both shea and yankees stadium...i fell in love with the mets...and i just couldnt get with the yankees...they just didnt feel right to me...i was born in queens so maybe that had something to do with it.
Yeah, true fanhood is one of those things where it feels like you were born into it. In my case, it was as a young lad in the early sixties, just after when the Yanks were finishing their latest string of glory years. Little did I realize what lay ahead of me over the next twelve years . . .

That said, I do believe that a fan can root for other teams without being disloyal to his one true love. That includes natural rivals. Many fans are silly in their rabid abhorrence of such an idea but I wonder whether those folks are really macho frontrunners and virtual vanity seekers rather than true baseball/sports fans.

Here, I will say it: I have ROOTED FOR THE RED SOX after the Yankees have been eliminated in the playoffs! Ha, ha, ha! (Thank goodness my true identity is hidden here, though.)

Also, I find myself following the Mets this season, more than usual. I do have a bit of an explanation for this, however. I could not root for them until Carlos Beltran and Jose Reyes were gone.

Correct me if I am wrong, but my impression is neither of those guys were used to playing very hard, Reyes in particular. That is, until Reyes was in the walk year of his contract. Then he played hard.

And don't correct me if you think I'm wrong on this, but Reyes backed into his batting title. Like a selfish, craven coward.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:00 PM   #16
rjl518
Hall Of Famer

I sometimes wonder. I have been to games at the new Yankee Stadium and Citi Field. I love them both two of the most beautifull stadiums in baseball. However, a lot of yankee fans said they prefer Citi Field over Yankee Stadium because its more of an open ballpark while Yankee Stadium is more of a close ballpark. Have you gone to both stadiums and what do you think of them?

Old 04-17-2012, 09:49 PM   #17
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I sometimes wonder. I have been to games at the new Yankee Stadium and Citi Field. I love them both two of the most beautifull stadiums in baseball. However, a lot of yankee fans said they prefer Citi Field over Yankee Stadium because its more of an open ballpark while Yankee Stadium is more of a close ballpark. Have you gone to both stadiums and what do you think of them?
Nah, only been to Yankee Stadiums. Old and new. I wanted to hate the new Yankee Stadium but I could not, it is so beautiful. I do want to go to Citi Field soon, though, and it will be my first time. Living out on the island, it's a lot easier for me to get to. I won't wear my Yankee gear - I'm not that dumb! - but I won't feel like a spy or saboteur, either. Baseball's the thing, and New York's the place!
Old 04-17-2012, 11:10 PM   #18
reo
Minors (Triple A)

OP is disgusting. How can you possibly think this is okay? I could never wave the flag of the team on the opposite side of the bay from me. I absolutely despise them. I also hate the team in southern California.
Gil Renard: Don't get greedy, son. Don't get greedy. What we need now is a sacrifice. A winning team has to know how to manufacture runs. Coop taught me that. He used to say the most beautiful play in the game is a sacrifice fly, and you know why?
Richie Renard: 'Cause you give yourself up for the team?
Gil Renard: And it doesn't even count against your average. That's why baseball's better than life - it's fair.

Last edited by reo; 04-17-2012 at 11:17 PM. Reason: add/fix.
reo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:34 AM   #19
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by reo View Post
OP is disgusting. How can you possibly think this is okay? I could never wave the flag of the team on the opposite side of the bay from me. I absolutely despise them. I also hate the team in southern California.
*sigh*

You see? This is what I'm saying. You're an A's fan, I see. That's good. But why does rooting for them require you to "despise" and "hate" the others? That's what I don't understand about sports fans these days.

Now, I don't like certain players as you can see from above. Enough players like that on one team and, yes, then I can perhaps despise a team.

But in your case, I'm willing to bet that you say the same hateful stuff year in, year out, no matter who is on the teams in question. Why? Why is rabid, drooling, foul-mouthed hate talk necessary to root for the team you love?

I'm talking to the wind, I know. Never going to win this argument, not in a million years. So, go A's (except vs. Yankees) and have a nice day.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:46 AM   #20
jmount78
Major Leagues

I am a life long Braves fan who suffered through the Pascual Perez era. We have had a great rivalry with the Mets but I would never hate them. I look at baseball as a living entity.

I want baseball teams to be succesfull and yes, I even want the Mets to be better but they really need to stop beating my Braves this year. When a team struggles for all those years, it takes away interest from baseball period. I would love for the Pirates, Mets, and Royals to become their past selves of the 80's so that the sport can grow in areas that it needs to grow and survive.

Also, as a person, I would never want a team to suffer or their fans because of the greed and evil of such a Ponzi scheme. I would rather my Braves lose to the Mets for the last five years than that to happen. It really hurt the image of the Mets and baseball.

Long story short, keep rooting for the Mets but choose a team that needs more fan support like the A's.
jmount78 is offline   Reply With Quote