Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 02-19-2020, 07:14 AM   #21
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

This being made out to be way more than it is. If a player gets traded, that's part of the business. He knows that when he signs his contract, if he doesn't have a full no trade clause than the possibility exists he could get traded.

So what? We're supposed to show compassion and empathize with them because they have to move?

I have no more empathy for an athlete who has to move than a guy down the street who I might wave good morning to occasionally. If he has to move because of his job, I wish him the best, but I'm not getting all googly eyed because of his situation. It's life.

I spent 30 years in the Forces, moved 11 times, had to leave my family behind for a few months on 4 of those moves. Never once asked for sympathy, don't want any.

My wife and I knew what I was signing up for and accepted it. I didn't sign up, then start crying and whining because I had to move to another part of the country.

I also didn't have a multi million dollar salary either, I did it on under $100K a year.

And I'm supposed to empathize with an athlete when they get traded? Sure, I feel your pain. Now pack your bags and get to work "earning" your paycheck.

If you don't want to get traded or cut, if you feel it will be too much of a burden for you and your family then choose another line of work. I heard McDonalds doesn't trade their employees, try applying there.

After all, there's millions, perhaps billions, who would gladly take the athletes job and the few career moves that might come with it.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 02-19-2020 at 07:22 AM.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 07:53 AM   #22
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
But as far as people making millions of dollars, they can take care of themselves.
So as long as they have money you can't empathize with them? At what salary does a human being begin to lose his sympathy card?
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 08:13 AM   #23
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
And I'm supposed to empathize with an athlete when they get traded? Sure, I feel your pain.
That's literally what empathy is

Quote:
Now pack your bags and get to work "earning" your paycheck.
That's what they do

Quote:
start crying and whining
Who exactly do you think is "crying and whining"
There seems to be, as there so often if, as much, or more, crying and whining coming from people complaining about people "crying and whining" than there is coming from the people they are crying and whining about.
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 08:18 AM   #24
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
So as long as they have money you can't empathize with them? At what salary does a human being begin to lose his sympathy card?
The answer to this is usually "more than me"

It'd be enlightening to see how much the "quit whining" crowd "whines" about their own lives
Old 02-19-2020, 08:42 AM   #25
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
That's literally what empathy is

That's what they do

Who exactly do you think is "crying and whining"
There seems to be, as there so often if, as much, or more, crying and whining coming from people complaining about people "crying and whining" than there is coming from the people they are crying and whining about.
Then stop making a big deal about how hard the poor athletes have it when they have to move, because it's not.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 02-19-2020 at 08:52 AM.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:08 AM   #26
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
Then stop making a big deal about how hard the poor athletes have it when they have to move, because it's not.
I don't know who's making a big deal about it

I'm making an appropriate sized deal about it in response to the "they make millions they should shut up and be grateful" crowd
Old 02-19-2020, 09:16 AM   #27
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

You don't have enough human in you to feel just a tiny bit for their kids that are getting uprooted to new cities? Sad.

But not surprising given sports fans are generally some of the most miserable, salty people there are. When your personal pride is derived from somebody who doesn't know you exist hitting or throwing a ball well then you don't have too much going on. Just as long as they are wearing the right clothes!

Last edited by dkgo; 02-19-2020 at 09:19 AM.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 09:18 AM   #28
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
You don't have enough human in you to feel just a tiny bit for their kids that are getting uprooted to new cities? Sad.

But not surprising given sports fans are generally some of the most miserable, salty people there are.
Ya I do have empathy, read my 1st post, 3rd sentence.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 02-19-2020 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-19-2020, 10:16 AM   #29
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

Sorry to have started the thread and then disappeared, things got a bit crazy yesterday!

I did not mean that anyone should feel sorry for the "poor, poor players". I simply meant that sometimes we forget that these are real people.

As for "knowing the risks when they took the job", this is certainly true and I understand that many other professions involve risk. My current job does not put me at much physical risk, but I worked construction for several years and was close enough to a number of dangerous situations to last me for a while.

I will point out that it is very rare, however, for someone to come up with safer gear or techniques for firemen or soldiers and have people complain that they should be putting dresses on them or that they are taking the fun out of firefighting or front line duty.

I was not intending the post as "you uncaring jerks", and I am not immune to the tendency to think first of the impact on my team before the impact on the person. When I read about Tim Weah's recent injury, my first thought was about him being unavailable for US Soccer Olympic qualifying, before I thought of him personally, but do tend to think more about the person now than I used to.

Let's Go Crew
Boomcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:42 AM   #30
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

This should tamper down the acrimony, I think.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 02:11 PM   #31
Skipaway
Hall Of Famer

I don't think people knows the risk when they take the job by itself is sufficient excuse to ignore work-related issues. We have work safety regulations because we believe there needs to be some baselines.

Actually it's pretty rare for people to know what they are getting into when they first got a job. Most of the time, people just follow what others did around them and mimic others for adjustment. And when surprise suffering comes, they are expected to suck it up, because many before them did. This applies to every job, and we have regulations on things that we really don't want the workers to just suck it up.

With pro athletes, I think it's reasonable and beneficial to all to ensure there are some league/team structures to deal with issues like the ones listed above, as opposed to just expect the high salary to fix things automatically. Money can solve issues yes, but players may not know how to use money to solve issues and may even get scammed.
Old 02-19-2020, 05:12 PM   #32
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
If you don't care at all about the players, you are basically just a fan of the laundry which seems very strange
Why does it seem strange? I care about the team and it's success. I don't care about the players personal life.

Quote:
But what if athletes are regular people?
And what if an athlete getting cut is a regular person losing their job?

And why wouldn't you empathize with a parent whose job forced them to uproot their kids' life? Or a spouse who had to give up their life for their partner's?

And why on Earth would you chuckle when someone had to choose between continuing their career or moving somewhere, possibly cold, where they didn't want to be?
Easy. You're asking me why I don't care about not only people I don't know, but people getting paid millions of dollars. So no, I don't care about the pros and cons of a professional athlete's job.

Quote:
Remember, there are millions, perhaps billions, of people around the world who would snap up your job in an instant and not complain about whatever it is that you complain about at work.
I know. But I get paid 30 dollars an hour to be a toll collector with very little traffic. I pretty much watch You Tube all day every day from 6am to 2pm. I handle about 200 vehicles a day. I have no complaints. I love my job.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 06:02 PM   #33
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I know. But I get paid 30 dollars an hour to be a toll collector with very little traffic. I pretty much watch You Tube all day every day from 6am to 2pm. I handle about 200 vehicles a day. I have no complaints. I love my job.
You got an application?
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 02-19-2020, 07:45 PM   #34
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Why does it seem strange? I care about the team and it's success. I don't care about the players personal life.
As I tried to point out earlier, I don't either.
Some people get excited that so-and-so has cats or whatever, and I couldn't care less.
But I can still realize that certain things about their job can suck, and feel about about that.

Quote:
I might even realize that it'd suck for you if you were traded to a busier location. Or if you job was automated and you got cut. Or that your job seems mind numbingly boring.

But, I might be protecting on that last one
Old 02-20-2020, 05:42 PM   #35
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I really don't have much sympathy unless someone is wronged. In which case the amount of money plays no role. Like someone getting accused and punished for something they probably didn't do or had little evidence against. Or like that guy from the Redskins I think, who actually had cancer. Then you have my undivided attention. But as far as people playing by the rules they agreed to? I'll have some sympathy for our rank and file neighbor. Not someone that has nothing to worry about financially for the rest of his life.

Quote:
As I tried to point out earlier, I don't either.
Some people get excited that so-and-so has cats or whatever, and I couldn't care less.
But I can still realize that certain things about their job can suck, and feel about about that.
Yeah I saw your post after the fact and kind of agree. But unless an athlete is being wronged in some way I rarely even think about it.

Quote:
I might even realize that it'd suck for you if you were traded to a busier location. Or if you job was automated and you got cut. Or that your job seems mind numbingly boring.

But, I might be protecting on that last one
Everything you said here happens or will happen. Think I didn't ever get bumped to a busier place? And Automation is coming within the decade.

But ask yourself this. If I said I made a million or two a year collecting tolls, would you really care that much if I was sent to a busier place?
Old 02-20-2020, 11:28 PM   #36
Buster Cherry
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:

Are you Woody Widenhofer?
Buster Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 12:04 AM   #37
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I really don't have much sympathy unless someone is wronged. In which case the amount of money plays no role. Like someone getting accused and punished for something they probably didn't do or had little evidence against. Or like that guy from the Redskins I think, who actually had cancer. Then you have my undivided attention. But as far as people playing by the rules they agreed to? I'll have some sympathy for our rank and file neighbor. Not someone that has nothing to worry about financially for the rest of his life.
I'm certainly not one to pressure anybody to change their opinion if that is how they strongly feel.

IMO, I think that attitude is emblematic of current society's greatest handicap. The inability & the unwillingness to feel empathy. Thus, people are unable to come to any agreement or compromise. A polarized world where people are more likely to take sides to divide instead of steps to unify. Because we refuse to hear, feel, or understand what each other is going thru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Timothy 3:1-3
"But know this, in the last days critical times to deal with will be here. For men will......have no natural affection"
If we thought millionaires had the money to guarantee happiness, no wonder the rich commit suicide just as much as the destitute. We think wrong.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 02-21-2020, 07:10 PM   #38
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm certainly not one to pressure anybody to change their opinion if that is how they strongly feel.

IMO, I think that attitude is emblematic of current society's greatest handicap. The inability & the unwillingness to feel empathy. Thus, people are unable to come to any agreement or compromise. A polarized world where people are more likely to take sides to divide instead of steps to unify. Because we refuse to hear, feel, or understand what each other is going thru.
Interesting that you say this. Because you are spot on. Because that's exactly what's happening. But those with the greater leverage make the rules and we either abide by them or fall by the wayside. Choose your battles.
Old 02-24-2020, 01:00 PM   #39
bertha
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
I find your post excessively cold.

1. Boomcoach is not saying "poor athlete" if they get traded. He's saying he is empathetic to the hardship that kind of life lends itself to.

2. You are generalizing the situation. Not every player leaves when his contract is up because he wants to. Especially in the NFL. They get cut even if there are years on the deal left. And some had every intent on staying with one team. Why else would some negotiate no trade clauses? There are some who even retire instead of going where they are traded because they don't want to uproot their family. Yeah, there are plenty that just want you to show them the money. But don't loop them all in the same mold.

3. Just because some civil servants put their bodies on the line doesn't mean the pain they endure is of no consequence. I don't want soldiers to come back w/one less limb to protect others freedom. I don't want policemen taking bullets to protect the public. I don't want firemen to endure 1st degree burn to protect property. Even if that is what they potentially are getting paid for. And I don't think it nothing for a player to get injured in order to prevent a score. I want, and EXPECT, policemen, soldiers, firemen & players to look out for themselves in carry out their jobs. I don't expect them to behave recklessly just because they are getting a salary.

We are all human and get one life. Their lives and well being isn't worth less than mine just because they are getting paid for my entertainment and well being.

I don't think you meant to come off as cold as you did. But if you proofread what you wrote, I think you would honestly say it was a bit harsh.
I agree with you
bertha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:03 AM   #40
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Everything you said here happens or will happen. Think I didn't ever get bumped to a busier place? And Automation is coming within the decade.
Well, that's why I used those examples

Quote:
But ask yourself this. If I said I made a million or two a year collecting tolls, would you really care that much if I was sent to a busier place?
Would I care "that much"? I don't know

Would I realize that not every toll collector makes a million or two dollars a year? Yeah

Would I realize that working some locations might suck, or you might be working much farther from home, or in unbearable heat or cold? Yes.

Also, did everyone hear that Madison Bumgarner also participates in rodeo? I don't care, but some people seem to think this is super funny or interesting.