Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 02-15-2020, 04:17 PM   #1
tts0
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Optimalisation question.

Hi, Ive been playing OOTP 18 for quite some time and recently been wondering about upgrading to newer version. Unfortunatelly 20 demo doesnt seem to be available, so I checked out OOTP 19 just for the fun of it and Im genuienly shocked how much smoother and faster it runs on my not-so-new hardware in comparason to 18 in which I experience some strange inbetween screens lags. I assume a lot of optimalisation work have been done and Im wondering what was that actually? Did they move from x86 to x64 or something? And more importantly - should I expect that level of performance in OOTP 21(which I might preorder)? Thanks.
tts0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:42 PM   #2
pgjocki
All Star Starter

They continue to upgrade the code and it shows run smoother. I didn't hit the wall until 20 and I was using a laptop I bought in 2011.

I bought a MSI gaming rig last spring because I had $1,500 burning a hole in my pocket and I couldn't be happier with how well 20 runs on it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 02-16-2020, 12:11 AM   #3
Calvert98
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgjocki View Post
They continue to upgrade the code and it shows run smoother. I didn't hit the wall until 20 and I was using a laptop I bought in 2011.

I bought a MSI gaming rig last spring because I had $1,500 burning a hole in my pocket and I couldn't be happier with how well 20 runs on it.

Did you pick-up a new monitor Pg? If so, what kind?
Calvert98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 12:39 AM   #4
pgjocki
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert98 View Post
Did you pick-up a new monitor Pg? If so, what kind?
I have a MSI 17 inch laptop

Old 02-16-2020, 12:44 AM   #5
Calvert98
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgjocki View Post
I have a MSI 17 inch laptop

Oh, Ok.

I'm thinking of getting a new desktop next year; it will likely see a lot of OOTP gaming, so that will somewhat impact my monitor choice.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:03 AM   #6
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert98 View Post
Oh, Ok.

I'm thinking of getting a new desktop next year; it will likely see a lot of OOTP gaming, so that will somewhat impact my monitor choice.
If you aren't worried about 4K gaming or watching 4k media monitor choices open up greatly. 4K gaming you are talking about having a $1200 gpu alone. Just to give a heads up. So if your sticking with 1080p it won't cost you a bunch of money.

I absolutely recommend going 144hz monitor. Honestly even just for windows and office work it is so much better. Then it just depends on what size you want to go.

A good 24 inch 144hz 1080p monitor should set you back around $150 depending what city/state you are located. If you bump it up to 27 inch then it'll be around $200.

If you decide yo game at 1440p again you'll spend more on a gpu but the 1440p 144hz 27 inch monitors usually run around $250.

Summary:

Comes down to what you do on the computer. If its 100% gaming used and what types of games you play. If OOTP take up a majority of your gaming and your in Windows a lot for other stuff I go 144hz 1080p monitor probably at 27 inch.

IF your AAA gaming with a lot of FPS games then 1440p and if money is no object then 4k
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:10 AM   #7
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Also remember a lot of what slows down OOTP is each individual's universe and history and how big all of that is.

So when you were comparing it to 19 if you started a new universe it would always be faster. Even a new universe in 18 would be faster then one that has 5+ years of history.

20 is faster but it would be hard to compare the 2 unless someone loaded up an old universe and ran speed tests between the 2.

The biggest thing that would improve times is getting an SSD. Especially a nvme ssd that is about 3-5x times faster then a normal ssd. And if its an PCIe Gen4 nvme then we are talking 7-10x faster then standard ssd's.

Only thing right now that can use pcei gen4 is high end AMY Ryzen processor/motherboards. Intel is still at pcei gen3 at least for its 10th gen processors and boards.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:52 AM   #8
Calvert98
All Star Reserve

Thanks for the notes Jimmy.

Yea, I was thinking about going with the 27" IPS 1440p, but I wasn't sure about the 144hz; I was considering 144hz, so from what you are saying about everyday Windows use, it seems like the way to go. The specs on the GPU and PC overall, should be more than enough to deal with that type of monitor.

For the desktop use, it will be a mix of work and gaming; as to gaming, almost all of that will be OOTP. I do play a couple others once in a great while, but almost all of my game-time is focused on OOTP's main game.

I play-out all of my games in OOTP, read a lot of the news stories and my team's game summaries, and of course you are often scanning through player profiles and stats as well, so having something that is both sharp, clear and responsive, saves the eyes. Speaking of eye-care, I am also looking for the monitor has some type of eye-care element too if possible.

Last edited by Calvert98; 02-16-2020 at 07:54 AM.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:13 AM   #9
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

I've been using 144hz for 10 years I want to upgrade to 240hz soon. When I have to work on someone elses computer or god forbid a laptop with 60hz I want to remove my eyes lol.

Just as a side note all flagship phones released from here on out will be 120hz minimum.

Its a huge deal just for reading the web. Once you use 144hz for a couple of days you will really be able to tell the difference when you have to the wifes or kids screen for an hour.

If OOTP is your only game then 1440p is fine. Now any other game you would need like a $500 gpu to push 1440p graphics. Basically any new AAA game.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:01 AM   #10
ALB123
All Star Reserve

I always recommend MSI based on my experiences...

I have an MSI gaming laptop. It is their 2015 top of the line beast the Titan GT80 series. I know this required a whole lot of luck, but this laptop survived TWO instances, less than 6 months apart, of me spilling anywhere between 6-8 ounces of fluid directly onto the laptop's keyboard. I posted the blow by blow action report on MSI's Support Forums. This is no lie nor an exaggeration. In hindsight, I should have probably waited a lot longer before re-applying power to the laptop, but thankfully all ended well for me.
ALB123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:07 AM   #11
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALB123 View Post
I always recommend MSI based on my experiences...

I have an MSI gaming laptop. It is their 2015 top of the line beast the Titan GT80 series. I know this required a whole lot of luck, but this laptop survived TWO instances, less than 6 months apart, of me spilling anywhere between 6-8 ounces of fluid directly onto the laptop's keyboard. I posted the blow by blow action report on MSI's Support Forums. This is no lie nor an exaggeration. In hindsight, I should have probably waited a lot longer before re-applying power to the laptop, but thankfully all ended well for me.
If it is not sugar or acid based liquid you just need to let it air dry out. With no power.

What liquid does it corrode the motherboard think statue of liberty. Its suppose to be copper.

You are probably safe but those liquid spills can actually come back years later once the corrosion builds up enough to stop the power flowing. Dealt with many laptops where the spill happened over 1+ years.

In any event the usual case is usually a motherboard scrubbing with 99% rubbing alcohol.

This also happens with aluminium laptop cases in humid conditions moving say from central AC to outside deck. Just you like you cold drink condensates. Think macbooks.
Old 02-16-2020, 03:05 PM   #12
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

do you have a large screen tv at or above the resolution you want to game?

i'm a big fan of using digital tvs. i'll never sit at a desk chair while using a pc i own, ever again.some benefits of a laptop, but not overpaying and getting lower performance. the wireless kb+mouse easily move with me to anywhere in site of the screen.

unless it is a very large tv or you sit very close while using it, 1080p is probably a better desktop resolution than 4k.

normal viewing distances in a great room might require a 80+" tv to justify 4k resolution.

when sitting 10-15' away on a comfortable couch, your eye can't resolve the difference. also, you can't take advantage of the additional resolution if the resulting image is too small for you to physically resolve or make use of with your eyes.

i.e. the text size may get too small unless it is a very large tv from 15' away. among other things, and your eye only resolves down to .1 of a mm at some specific distance, so beyond that point both images will look imperceivably different at some distance relative to screen size.

i think that $1200 gpu is for high-fps 4k and hd-VR. you can likely get away with less, especially if not for 3rd-person shooter and the like that require immediate reactions and fast response times of hardware. with those games you want vsync or better. if you don't need extremely high FPS, full motion is at 24fps. that's what you see at a theater. Anyway, if you want to 4k game, $400-600 is probably sufficient in most cases. really depends on the type of games you play... you can play ootp in 4k with a $150 3d card, i bet, and for sure if you don't watch the games in 3d, even that i sincerely doubt woulb be too much processing.

for $150 you can have good 1080p and enough to do 1440p, but not at your monitors refresh rate for games with extreme requirements at 1440p. that was $150 last year... unfortunately due to miners, prices don't drop consistently like they used to.

don't buy offbrand gpus. AMD cards all have the same specs, but the manufacturer does matter. you can tell by the small stuff like the quality of the heatsink and the fans used. there are a ton of trashy amd cards. if it's anywhere near equivalent in quality and price, you should get nvidia cards. they tend to be more efficient, quieter, but also more expensive at same tier. (pure horsepower, rx570 over the 1050ti, but the 1050ti is better in numerous ways, in this case the nvidia is cheaper, but not as strong performance - the opposite of normal. its power requirements are insanely small which is great if it is an upgrade to a system with a weak PSU)

anyway, here's a cool link for comparing parts and seeing a resulting FPS from realworld applications. never, ever rely on benchmarking nonsense. they find ways to cheat those tests to bloat their scores. always rely on real-world tests with similar equipment.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/

i can show you a bunch of old TVs with "infinite" contrast ratio that look like trash next to a tv with a 10,000:1 contrast ratio of the same era. benchmarks and specs can often be b&stardized, but well-measured results will out the truth.

Last edited by NoOne; 02-16-2020 at 03:08 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote