Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-03-2019, 11:31 PM   #221
Jeffy25
Hall Of Famer

I don't do a very good job of keeping up with these forums, but thank you for the update!

I have long wondered if tv deal negotiations could be something added to the GM modes of the game. TV deals are a major part of the revenues for teams and really affect a teams ability to operate financially and spend on payroll. Right now, it seems like it's almost a random generator for a teams tv deal (local). I realize you can adjust it so every team has the same or that it can vary based on market size.

But it would be a cool thing to be able to negotiate as the GM whenever the current deal would expire. Or, maybe look into funding your own network (like the Yankees) if you can save enough on payroll over the years to justify it.

Thought it would be a cool feature that wouldn't take much to implement.

Tv deals can be 10-20 years in ranges, can be backloaded, and come up for negotiation with 2 years left on the current deal. And negotiation could be a simple thing, just like we do with player contracts.

Thanks!
Jeffy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 12:01 AM   #222
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
Regional Cable Network deals are absolutely gigantic in terms of importance right now in MLB.

I'm not exactly sure how that is modeled in OOTP if its a part of financials or part of market size etc.

But would like to see it really fleshed out as well.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:08 AM   #223
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecd1973 View Post
Game recaps have come along way but they are desperately in need of injury and ejection text (who got injured and how....who got ejected and why) Please consider adding!
On the subject of ejections, I would like to see a wider variety. So instead of just for starting a brawl or for arguing balls and strikes there should be some for arguing close plays at a base, or similar.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 09:57 AM   #224
highandoutside
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post
Regional Cable Network deals are absolutely gigantic in terms of importance right now in MLB.

I'm not exactly sure how that is modeled in OOTP if its a part of financials or part of market size etc.

But would like to see it really fleshed out as well.
I'm all for adding new bells and whistles AFTER the AI knows how to manage its finances and put together a competitive roster, as things stand.

Every layer of added complexity will just weaken an already suspect management AI. I'd rather have a rudimentary financial system with a truly competitive AI opponent, then adding new "realism" features at the expense of the AI.

For me: competitive AI is the key. You can add all the modern complicated financial and contract intricacies you want, but if it makes for a poor AI opponent, what's the point?
highandoutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:20 AM   #225
texasmame
All Star Starter

Random thought - have you made a way to import existing free agents to the draft pool and vice-versa? I know it's not a IRL thing but something I would like to be able to do. The current IMPORT/EXPORT function does not do this properly.

As the defending NL West Champions, the SALMON fall to the wildcard Dakota Rushmores in the first round in seven games.
texasmame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 02:42 PM   #226
mjcarr74
Major Leagues

Will there be ball flight? for instance will the camera follow the ball if you have a custom camera not showing the whole field?
mjcarr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 04:19 PM   #227
Jeffy25
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by highandoutside View Post
I'm all for adding new bells and whistles AFTER the AI knows how to manage its finances and put together a competitive roster, as things stand.

Every layer of added complexity will just weaken an already suspect management AI. I'd rather have a rudimentary financial system with a truly competitive AI opponent, then adding new "realism" features at the expense of the AI.

For me: competitive AI is the key. You can add all the modern complicated financial and contract intricacies you want, but if it makes for a poor AI opponent, what's the point?
I agree. I won't the AI to go after valuable free agents so they aren't so easy to sign in free agency (I'd prefer things like location and competitive window and money to all hold weights for players like they do in real life. And the game already has those motivations set for players).

I shouldn't just automatically get a top free agent simply because I placed the bid on him. If you go back a year and enter the 2018-2019 free agency period, and you place a bid on Bryce Harper or Manny Machado on the first day of free agency, you will pretty much get them at whatever the opening ask was. And while some players won't negotiate because of a Manager or because a team wasn't competitive enough. That isn't enough of the reasons.

Players care about other things, such as proximity to home town, or Spring Training being close to home. They may mesh better with some players. These added motivations should be important factors.

Maybe I want Bryce Harper, and I'm the Cardinals. But let's say Bryce would prefer to play for the Giants due to proximity, or the Phillies due to long term path. And he refuses to accept an offer for less than 10 years from anywhere.

So the Giants could get him for 10/$300M
The Phillies could get him for 10/$320M
And I could get him if I really want him, but it would cost 10/$350M

Surely there is a way to make players give marginal discounts for certain reasons, or not even negotiate with some teams for other reasons.

I play solo play. So I prefer a competitive and competent AI. I create a ton of self imposed rules so I don't 'cheat' the AI.

I hate seeing the AI letting a young prospect go for nothing that is basically a rebuilding team (or should be) or when a rebuilding team signs unnecessary vets to multi-year deals. And while that happens in real life, it happens too much in the game and it makes the AI less competitive.

I end up just placing free agents around the league where I think it makes the most sense for the team and the fit and the remaining budgets. While this is very time consuming, it really improves the competitiveness of the AI and makes it a lot more fun for myself.

I also wish when you shopped a player, you could get more than one for one offers.

If I have a vet starter on the last year of his deal, and I'm 15 games back at the deadline and I shop him. I should be able to shop him for a package that looks for a young catching prospect and a young relief pitching prospect if that's what I want in a trade. Not just one or the other.

This isn't to complain. I love OOTP and I think the game continues to improve in ways you don't see in video games. But if I have a frustration with the game at all, it's how easy it is to manipulate the AI in solo play. It seems the AI's logic is either super laxed, or basically impossible to deal with (stubborn almost) when you change AI trade logic.

I actually created a surplus value in excel of the players and that's how I determine what trades are fair lol
Jeffy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 01:08 PM   #228
manitoba45oes
Minors (Rookie Ball)

i think to some extent this is in the game a bit. i remember after a really bad season i went to sign curtis Granderson and i couldn't even offer him a contract. just said he had no interest in signing with my organization. but that was a one time thing. only other way i see that is if you low ball a guy multiple times he just gets fed up negotiating

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
manitoba45oes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 01:41 PM   #229
Rosco Peabody
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
I agree.
I play solo play. So I prefer a competitive and competent AI. I create a ton of self imposed rules so I don't 'cheat' the AI.

Yes, this is what I'm talking about in my Suggestion: AI player strategy thread. Obviously it would be ideal if the AI never made these mistakes, but when it does, I'd like a way to cancel them out.

Been playing since OOTP '08

Avatar is a picture of me drawn by one of my students a few years ago

(My real name is not Rosco, nor do I live anywhere near Peabody)
Rosco Peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 03:36 PM   #230
LOGANLADFAN
Bat Boy

OOTP for iPhone

Will all these new features be on the iPhone and if not what are new features that will be on there?
LOGANLADFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:36 PM   #231
legofarley
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
I don't think so to be honest. Also, I think [feeder leagues] work quite well they already do right now.
Agreed. I used them all the time and have had zero problems.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:07 PM   #232
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

Futures Game,Home Run Derby,Celebrity All-Star Game make it?

Also in the News saying like Boston awarded 2023 All-Star Game or Oakland the Draft in 2026 or like the Braves hired Freddie Freeman as a Play by Play Announcer or Rick Hill has decide to retire and purse a job in somebodies Front Office?
Multi Team Trades,MILB League Evolution including Team Contract MLB team,Split Squad Games,Import Draft Classes/Trades by Computer GMS at Draft,Teams setting Rosters before Opening Fay meaning sending down guys like on my 70 man Roster.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:08 PM   #233
SPBJT
Minors (Double A)

LIVE SERVICES- Will transactions and DL visits be mirrored from MLB to the game, so if I am playing a team's games, all the MLB transactions will happen in the game as well?
SPBJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:04 PM   #234
thegoldengod
Minors (Double A)

With the introduction of spray charts, can we expect xwOBA to be added as a stat?
thegoldengod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:20 PM   #235
shakeweight
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Did color coded shortlists make the list of features?
shakeweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:23 PM   #236
DaBears
Major Leagues

Absolutely love the spray chart idea. Have wanted those for a long time. How sophisticated will they be?

Also, any chance the game will ever allow the 26th man for a doubleheader? I have simply turned off allow rainouts because of this.
DaBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 09:29 AM   #237
TwinsGuy11
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Berger View Post
Not exactly.

You can start a new game in 2019 from any given point of the year, with the current stats, standings, ratings etc. But it won't update any of that in an existing game you're already playing.
SO glad this was added. It was my number one request for 3 years. Love the idea of starting a season late in the year.
TwinsGuy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 02:21 PM   #238
AESP_pres
Hall Of Famer

Will we get minor league before 1919? The players are in the minor league database so why not start them in 1886...

Also will we finally get the real team progression in the 19th century this year? I mean no fake stuff like the White Stocking become the Mansfields who become the Marylands and finally became the White Stockings again. Teams disbanded in the minor league so I don't understand why it's impossible in the ML... At least it would be less annoying to make the move if the real teams each years show up (no fake Centenials by exemple to delete each seasons).

The complete set (1871 to 1959)

Just the update (1950 to 1959)
AESP_pres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:52 PM   #239
tank222
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Love all the new features and can't wait to play my pre-ordered game but my only question is how the live update will handle the June draft. Put all draftees into the minors right away or wait until each player officially signs individually?
Old 03-11-2019, 11:18 AM   #240
whaleheader
Minors (Triple A)

Will ratings be adjusted between the beta on Monday and the release on Friday?
whaleheader is offline   Reply With Quote