Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Title Bout Championship Boxing > TBCB Inside the Ropes

TBCB Inside the Ropes Your game and fantasy fights

Old 03-14-2006, 08:01 PM   #21
mh2365
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (101)
Interesting that McWatt a TC is ranked 4th as a LHW. Good stuff as always.
mh2365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:02 PM   #22
Romdawg88
Hall Of Famer

Some good stuff here but man no one wanted that WBA MW belt 3 title changes in 4 fights that nuts, Good times though for us readers.

IBL: 13 - 4 (7)

Henry Armstrong > You.
Romdawg88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:11 PM   #23
JCWeb
Hall Of Famer

1906-Lightweights

Well, McWatt's ranking is probably symptomatic of how weak the LH division is (or perhaps he needs to be paired with more "real" opposition).

WBA Lightweight Title: Jack Blackburn (who won the crown vacated by Gans in late 1905) continued with a run of four successive defenses, vs. Arthur Douglas (UD 15), ex-champ Frank Erne (UD 15), William Kid Parker (TKO 8) and Matty "Bunker Hill Bearcat" Baldwin (TKO 5). His record now stands at 23-3-1 (12).

NABF Title: Cooke defended versus Dick Hyland (TKO 8) but lost a split decision verdict to Baldwin, who has yet to defend the title.

USBA Title: Also changed hands. Chicago Dave Barry, who won it in 1905, defended versus Kid Fredericks (UD 12) but was beaten by Young Donahue (UD 12) whose record is now 18-2-1 (6).

CBU Title: Fighting Dick Hyland took the crown from his Canadian counterpart, Mike Ward (UD 12) and defended it three times, versus two Australian TCs, Guest (KO 6) and Gibbs (TKO 3), before blasting out Ward (KO 1) in the rematch. Ironically, this is the same year that Ward lost his life in the ring (1906) in real-life. In my uni, that puts him in Post-Prime.

GBU: TC Singletary defended once but may soon face some real-life opponents as Freddie Welsh is moving up the ranks and Jem Driscoll is rumored to be considering a move up from FW.

EBU: Finally found a belt for Dane Battling Nelson, who claimed the first European lightweight title with a UD 12 win over the nominally Swiss, Frank Erne.

Top Ten
Nelson, up 1 to #1; Cooke, down 1 to #2; Baldwin, up 5 to #3; F Erne, unchanged at #4; Donahue, debuts in Top 10 at #5; Douglas, down 1 to #6; Fredericks, down 1 to #7; Chicago Dave Barry, up 2 to #8; Fighting Dick Hyland, new to Top 10 at #9; Callahan, down 3 to #10.
Dropped out of Top 10: Gans (now WW champ) and McPartland (retired).

Career Stats for McPartland:
1896-1906 24-19-1 (11) NABF, USBA Champ

All Top 10 fighters at Prime. Only one of contenders on downside is the aforementioned Mike Ward. Several hot young prospects are on the horizon: Ray Bronson has already compiled a 11-0-1 (7) mark, Freddie Welsh is at 10-1 (6) and Ad Wolgast is 4-0 (1). Knockout Brown, Jimmy Frayne and Willie Ritchie are set to join the already crowded ranks of the LW division in 1907.
JCWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 10:42 PM   #24
JCWeb
Hall Of Famer

1906-Featherweights

WBA Title -- It took a bit longer than expected, but "Terrible Terry" McGovern finally has emerged to claim a World Title. In London, facing a hostile crowd, he took the FW belt from England's finest, Jem Driscoll, via a 13th round stoppage. Terry went on to prove his victory was no fluke by racking up wins in successive title defenses vs Young Griffo (also TKO 13 in a battle of two early legends from the Turn of the Century) and Brooklyn Tommy Sullivan (K0 12, a close fight where Terry needed to pull out all the stops to prevail). McGovern's record is now 29-11-1 (26).

NABF: Ironically, the year didn't start out so well for Terry as he was KO'd in 3 by NABF title holder Harry Lyons. (Thus, his surprise win over Driscoll came off a KO loss!) Abe Attell, looking to get back to the top of the FW roost he once ruled, easily won the NABF crown from Lyons (UD 12) and racked up title defenses versus Billy Snailham (UD 12), Benny Soloman (UD 12) and Young Corbett (KO 3).

USBA: Like McGovern, Attell had to bounce back from a loss, losing to Brooklyn Tommy by a KO 7 for the USBA crown. Tommy managed three more defenses vs Jimmy Devine (UD 12), Soloman (TKO 7) and Eddie Santry (KO 9) before his KO loss to McGovern.

CBU: "Old" Young Griffo continued as champ, defending against another aging Aussie, Tim Hegarty (UD 12). His record is now 71-9-3 (29).

GBU: Driscoll revived the dormant title with his third win over Ben Jordan (KO 8) for the British crown. Look for Owen Moran to move up from BW in 1907 to provide some new life to the scene, particularly if rumors about Driscoll testing the LW division are true.

Top 10 contenders as of Jan 1907:
Attell, unchanged at #1; ex-champ Driscoll at #2; BT Sullivan, up 1 to #3;
Lyons, down 2 to #4; Griffo unchanged at #5: Soloman up 3 to #6; Joe Bernstein, up 3 to #7; Santry unchanged at #8; Snailham new to top 10 at #9; finally, Corbett, down 4 to #10. Aurelio Herrera, who was #7 in the Jan 06 ratings, is just lurking outside the Top 10, one PP behind Corbett who beat him during the year.

All top 10 contenders are at Prime except for Griffo (at the End stage, finally) and Lyons (whose retirement year was 1907, meaning he starts off 1907 at Post-Prime). Solly Smith, a former WBA champ, hung up the gloves during 1906. His career stats:

1888-1906 44-24-6 (14) WBA Champ

Quite a few long-standing FWs not in the Top 10 are now on the downslide (most Post-Prime), such as Dave Sullivan, Oscar Gardner, Jimmy Devine, Ben Jordan, Tim Hegarty, and Hugh McPadden. George Dixon, like Griffo, is at End and probably good for a couple more bouts.

Prospects likely to move up the ranks in 1907 include Grover Hayes, now 14-2 (13), Percy Cove of Canada 12-1 (4) and Jimmy Walsh 11-2-1 (3). Cove handed Walsh a surprising defeat in 1906. Newcomers to the division in 1907 include Johnny Kilbane and Patsy Kline from Italy.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:47 PM   #25
JCWeb
Hall Of Famer

Anyone Else Notice This?

A bit off topic, but as I was preparing these reports and looking at the ratings I noticed that the ratings that appear on the Fighter Screen (which are definitely based on the current PerfPts level of each fighter, because you can set your screen to view those numbers) do not quite match the ratings you will see if you click on "Organizations" for the same division for your selected world organization, in my case, the WBA. They are pretty close, but do not match perfectly.

Anyone else notice this and is there a possible explanation for it? (I just observed it today and have no idea if it's an artifact of the new rankings system or not.)
Old 03-15-2006, 12:09 AM   #26
JCWeb
Hall Of Famer

1906-Bantamweights

WBA Title -- more of the same as Harry Harris made two more successful defenses to run his record up to 39-4-1 (26) with a TKO 8 over Biz Mackey and a TKO 4 over Jimmy Barry. This was the 6th World Title clash between Harris and Barry, with Barry winning the first two but Harris turning the tables to win the three of the last four with one draw. (All of Harris' wins came once Barry had slipped out of Prime career stage.)

NABF: Barry defended three times, versus Forbes (D12), Philly McGovern (UD 12) and Frankie Neil (KO 6) to run his record to 54-3-3 (39), with all three of his losses in those title clashes with Harris.

USBA: Phil McGovern made just one defense, a UD12 win over Kid Beebe. McGovern did drop a non-title bout decision to Morris Rauch, the man he defeated for the crown in 1904, so now Rauch is clamoring for a Title rematch.

CBU: Title changed hands as Joe Bowker stopped Owen Moran (TKO 5).

GBU: Bowker defended once, scoring a UD 12 win over Digger Stanley in Liverpool.

EBU: Moran regained the crown he had lost a few years earlier to Pedlar Palmer, scoring a KO 6 result. Moran is likely to try his hand at some FW action in 1907, while retaining his BW crown.

Jan 1907 Top Ten
Barry stays at #1; Bowker moves up 5 to #2 spot; Mackey up 2 to #3; Delmont down 2 to #4; Forbes drops 1 to #5; Moran stays at #6; Morris Rauch vaults into Top 10 at #7 with his surprise win over Phil McGovern in non-Title Bout, and McGovern drops 5 to #8; Terry's brother Hugh McGovern checks in at #9, down 1 and Kid Murphy is new to top 10 at #10. Kid Beebe and Tommy Feltz, previously at #9 and #10, respectively, drop out.

Barry has reached End career stage; Harris and Rauch hit Post-Prime in 1907. Casper Leon of Italy retired in 1906, his career marks:

1894-1906 34-15-4 (9) EBU Champ

Johnny Coulon 11-0 (9) and my own creation Frankie Conley 4-0 (4) are working their way up the Prospects list. Joseph Biderberg aka Louisiana is set to debut in the division in 1907.

1907 also marks the start-up of some limited action in the Flyweight class, with Sid Smith and several TCs duking it out. It's probably going to take several years for the first title contenders to emerge, however.

Expect to see summaries from the year ending 1907 action in two to three weeks, as that is how long it is taking me to run the bouts right now.

Last edited by JCWeb; 03-15-2006 at 12:10 AM.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:18 AM   #27
Romdawg88
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWeb
A bit off topic, but as I was preparing these reports and looking at the ratings I noticed that the ratings that appear on the Fighter Screen (which are definitely based on the current PerfPts level of each fighter, because you can set your screen to view those numbers) do not quite match the ratings you will see if you click on "Organizations" for the same division for your selected world organization, in my case, the WBA. They are pretty close, but do not match perfectly.

Anyone else notice this and is there a possible explanation for it? (I just observed it today and have no idea if it's an artifact of the new rankings system or not.)
I've notice it but I have no idea as to why it's like that. Though I must say I enjoy the fact that there's some differences between all the rankings makes it more like real life.

Henry Armstrong > You.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:24 AM   #28
mh2365
Banned

There is a built in variance in all the organizations ... none of them will strictly match the current pp.

What aging spans are you using?
Old 03-19-2006, 03:05 PM   #29
JCWeb
Hall Of Famer

1907 Fight of Year Candidate

OK, I expected it to be awhile before my next post, waiting until I completed all the 1907 bouts in my uni but occasionally there comes around a memorable fight that transcends everything and I am up through March '07 now and wanted to file a report on such a bout while it was still fresh in my mind.

The date in March 23, 1907, the scene is Los Angeles CA, the bout is between two 11 thru 20 ranked contenders in the talent-laded Lightweight division, a 10-rounder on the undercard of the World Light Heavy title bout between Philly Jack O'Brien and the aforementioned CBU and GBU champ TC Jeremy McWatt (O'Brien disposed of McWatt inside the distance, yet McWatt still clings to a Top 5 ranking!). In one corner is Young Erne, former NABF champ sporting a 22-7-3 record with enough time left in his career to make a mark. Same is true for his opponent, Kid Fredericks, similarly situated with a 19-11-1 record. It's a true "crossroads" bout for both. In fact, it's also a bout with a revenge factor as three years earlier in Frisco Fredericks took Young Erne's NABF crown with a 3-round KO, only to lose the crown in his next bout. It's also a classic boxer versus slugger matchup, with Young Erne representing the slick boxer-counterpuncher type and Fredericks representing the power puncher with KO capability.

The bout starts slow, and the first couple of rounds are uneventful. Then in rounds 3 and 4, Fredericks steps up the pace, moving inside and launching a series of strong punches. Young Erne goes down twice, once more he is cut, bleeding, and one eye starts to swell .... I am about to pencil in a W for Fredericks at this point, but Young Erne rallies at just past the halfway point, and in round 6 he catches an overly-aggressive Fredericks to put him on the canvas. Fredericks can't handle all the punishment and in a dramatic turnaround, the result is a TKO 6 for Young Erne, avenging the loss three years earlier and moving himself up to the Top 10 in the Lightweight picture.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:23 PM   #30
JCWeb
Hall Of Famer

1907-Heavyweights

Just finished the end of the year for 1907 and here is the report for the HW division.

WBA Title -- Jack Johnson defended twice, versus John Haines (TKO 7) and Sam Langford (SD 15) then, in action just completed, elected to defend his title once again (his ninth defense overall) against LH champ Phila. Jack O'Brien. Here's what happened:

The bout was expected to be a cakewalk for the heavily favored champ, as O'Brien was by 40 pounds the lighter man. Neither had tasted defeat for a long time, as Johnson came into the fight with a 15-bout winning streak and O'Brien had won 12 in a row. For the first eight rounds Johnson toyed with the smaller man, building up a huge lead on points. In the ninth, O'Brien elected to throw caution to the wind and charged the champ, falling to a quick counter. Eschewing the cover-up strategy, Phila Jack was back on his feet and to the surprise of a stunned Johnson, floored the champ for the full count. Philadelphia Jack O'Brien is the surprise new WBA champ by KO in the 9th, sending shock waves to the rest of the division.

Other lesser titles changed hands also. James Jeffries took the NABF crown from Sam McVey (TKO 7) and defended versus Bob Armstrong (KO 1) and Denver Ed Martin (KO 4). Jeff won five bouts in 1907 after a TD2 versus Gunner Moir and is perhaps more eager to try to recapture the WBA crown now that Johnson is no longer the champ. Jeffries' win over McVey vacated the USBA title, which was claimed by Mike Schreck by UTD 10 over Marvin Hart. Schreck defended versus Al Kaufmann (KO 9) but lost the belt to McVey (KO 8) who now holds it for the second time.

Commonwealth belt was successfully defended four times by Sam Langford, besting Bill Squires (KO 1), Sandy Ferguson (WDQ 6), Bill Lang (TKO 3) and Jack Palmer (TKO 7). Palmer retained his GBU belt with defenses versus TC Nick Rush (TKO 6) and Gunner Moir (UD 12).

Here's the Jan 1908 ratings list (I've decided to add the perf points under the new rankings system for purposes of comparison):

Champ: Phila. Jack O'Brien 44-3-1 (24) 1143 pts new champ
1. Jack Johnson 55-4-2 (44) 1142 pts former champ
2. James Jeffries 43-5-3 (38) 1142 pts down 1
3. Sam Langford 24-3 (20) 932 pts down 1
4. Sam McVey 21-3 (14) 832 pts up 1
5. Joe Jeannette 19-1 (16) 789 pts up 1
6. Bob Armstrong 35-17-1 (29) 718 pts down 3
7. Tommy Burns 25-5-2 (20) 682 pts down 3
8. Mike Schreck 21-9 (16) 529 pts up 1
9. John Haines 22-13-3 (11) 481 pts down 2
10. Al Kaufmann 17-3 (11) 461 pts down 2

All these fighters are at Prime career stage. Marvin Hart dropped out of the top 10 and is currently 12th ranked. Jeannette suffered his first setback, losing a non-title clash to McVey. Burns only fought once in 1907, a UD10 loss to McVey. Haines lost the title clash to Johnson, beat Joe Grim, then had a SD10 loss to Jeannette. GBU Champ Palmer, who hits Post-Prime in 1908, is rated 15th with a 16-10-1 (12) mark. Top ranked TC is Ray Farquahr (UK), ranked 20th with a 12-8-3 (4) record.

Only retirement in 1907 was Joe Choynski, who also fought at LH, where he was the champ. His career stats:

1888-1907 53-19 (42) USBA Heavy Champ, WBA LH Champ

Tom Sharkey, who is still ranked just outside the Top Ten, is nearing the end of his career, as is Gus Ruhlin. One fighter with a much better record than IRL is Joe Grim, currently at 20-10-1 (5) and ranked 14th.

For 1908, there will be an infusion of new talent as several of the White Hopes arrive. Key newcomers include Frank Moran, the Joplin Ghost Jeff Clarke, Jim Savage and Battling Jim Johnson, plus Victor McLaglen, who is the answer to a great trivia question -- the only person to fight for the World Heavyweight Championship and win an Academy Award for best acting.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:02 PM   #31
Romdawg88
Hall Of Famer

Damn huge upset there by O'Brien good stuff. I wonder how long he'll be able to hold on to the belt.

Henry Armstrong > You.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:08 PM   #32
JCWeb
Hall Of Famer

1907-Light Heavyweights

1907 WBA Light Heavy Title Bouts: O'Brien successfully defended three times, versus McWatt, the British TC (TKO 6), Jack Root (TKO 6) and George Gardner (UD 15) to make it a total of 6 successful defenses prior to his move up to HW. With his surprise win over Jack Johnson, the LH title will become vacant as of Jan. 1908.

NABF Title: John Wille defended twice, both against the USBA titleholder, teenager Leo Houck, winning two close decisions (SD 12 and MD 12) to bring his total successful defenses to 5 of the title he won in Nov. 1905.

USBA Title: Houck defended only once (UD 12 versus Charlie Haghey) in between the two tussles with Wille.

CBU Title: TC Jeremy McWatt made two more defenses, making it a total of five successive defenses dating back to 1904.

GBU Title: McWatt made his 7th successive defense of the title he won back in 1903.

EBU Title: First fought for in August 1907, won by George Gardner of Ireland (TKO 7 over McWatt). No defenses as of yet.

Top Ten Rankings (PP and changes from last year included):

Title: recently vacated by O'Brien who won HW crown
1. John Wille 25-4-2 (17) 927 pts up 1
2. Jack Sullivan 26-12 (15) 747 pts up 4
3. George Gardner 38-8-1 (26) 735 pts down 2
4. Leo Houck 19-5-1 (9) 636 pts down 1
5. *Jeremy McWatt 26-18-2 (3) 595 pts down 1
6. Charlie Haghey 23-12-2 (20) 567 pts up 1
7. Jack Root 33-12 (25) 527 pts down 2
8. Billy Stift 40-20 (30) 420 pts up 2
9. Charles Kid McCoy 53-13 (45) 419 pts new, was #3 at MW
10. *Clifford Marvine 21-19-3 (3) 350 pts

Comparing this to the HW rankings, it's easy to see how thin the LH division is by comparison, with two TCs ranked in the Top 10, and also the lower PPs are indicative perhaps also of a lower level of top flight fighters for the most part. Look for Wille (who is on a 5-bout win streak) and Sullivan (on a 6-bout win streak) to meet up for the vacant WBA Title in early 1908 -- Sullivan is hungry after not having a title shot of any kind for the past two years. Gardner enters post-prime in 1908 (his retirement year) and I set TCs McWatt and Marvine at post-prime as well to hopefully shake things up. (A third British TC, Chuck Carrick, dropped out of the Top 10, after being ranked 9th the prior year.) Stift was actually on his way out when he managed to TKO McCoy in his final bout. McCoy, like Gardner, is at Post-Prime and Root, after two successive TKO losses, has reached the final stage of his career.

Billy Stift's career totals:
1893-1907 40-20 (30) NABF and USBA Champ

Obviously, the division is in need of some new blood, and in 1908 look for the only active real-life fighter outside the top ten, Fred Cooley, to step up, along with two talented newcomers -- Frenchman Georges Carpentier and Jack "The Giant Killer" Dillon, two boxers who became LH champs IRL.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:43 PM   #33
JCWeb
Hall Of Famer

1907-Middleweights

WBA Title -- 1907 turned out to be a year for the changing of the guard at the top of the division. Veteran Tommy Ryan defended twice, versus TC Neil Rowe (TKO 10, garnering his 60th KO win of his illustrious career) and then versus former titleholder Kid Locke (UD 15) before falling to the youth and all-out aggressiveness of Stanley Ketchel, who iced Ryan in the first round of their Oct 1907 encounter to take the crown.

NABF Title -- Frank Klaus defended four times in 1907, versus Frank Fields (TKO 8), Frank Craig (UD 12), Kid Carter (UD 12) and Eddie McGoorty (UD 12). Klaus is riding a 7-bout win streak.

USBA Title -- Ketchel made his 6th and 7th successful defenses, versus Sailor Burke (KO 1) and Walter Coffey (TKO 7) before moving on up to challenge Ryan. In December, Billy Papke claimed the vacant crown with an 8-round TKO of Eddie McGoorty.

Commonwealth and GBU Titles -- changed hands but remained with tomato cans. Canada's Will Carney beat Aussie Neil Rowe who then lost it to Brit Mark Slater. Slater defended with a 12-round draw with fellow Brit Quinton Wade, who had snared the GBU crown from veteran Gary Overly earlier in the year.

EBU Title -- Paddy Levin of Ireland made two successful defenses, both versus Kid Locke (SD12 and UD 12).

Rankings (including Perf Pts and changes from last year):

Champ: Stanley Ketchel 21-1 (20) 831pts was #4 last year
1. Paddy Levin 19-3 (9) 716 pts up 1
2. Billy Papke 12-0 (11) 681 pts new this year
3. Tommy Ryan 73-10 (60) 640 pts was Champ last year
4. Frank Klaus 17-2-1 (12) 622 pts up 6
5. Kid Locke 20-8-1 (4) 523 pts down 4
6. Eddie McGoorty 14-2 (13) 486 pts new this year
7. Frank Craig 25-9 (17) 469 pts down 2
8. Cyclone Johnny Thompson 19-7 (14) 443 pts up 3
9. Hugo Kelly 17-8 (11) 373 pts down 3
10. Kid Carter 25-13-1 (20) 370 pts down 3

Dropped out of Top Ten from last year: Kid McCoy (#3 -- now campaigning as a LH); TC Neil Rowe (was #8) and Frank Fields (was #9). Ryan has finally reached the End career stage. Craig, who turns 38 in 1908, is now at Post-Prime. Papke and McGoorty are still at Pre-Prime. McGoorty had won his first 14 in a row before being over-matched in the two title bouts versus Klaus and then Papke. Ex-champ Kid Locke has faded badly, losing four of his last five bouts, and his countryman Kelly hasn't fared much better, winning only one of his last four. GBU Champ Wade is top-ranked TC at #11 with 322 pts and a 5-2-5 record. CBU titleholder Slater checks in at #16 with 116 pts and a 8-7-2 (2) career mark.

No retirements in 1907, and only Ryan is perhaps due to hang up the gloves in the next year or so. Prospects Bob Moha, Joe Thomas and Frank Mantell impressed in '07 and may reach contender status soon, although Ketchel appears poised for a long reign (unless this Papke guy can get in his way). New faces in the division for 1908 will be paced by Mike Gibbons.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:29 PM   #34
JCWeb
Hall Of Famer

1907-Welterweights

WBA Title Bouts -- While there was a significant shake-up in the Top Ten rankings in the WW division in 1907, things stayed the same at the top as Joe Gans continued to reign as Champion with two successful defenses versus Ireland's Jimmy Gardner (UD 15) and Willie Lewis (TKO 2).

NABF: Title changed hands twice, as Joe Walcott dethroned Willie Lewis (UD 12), stopped Mysterious Billy Smith (TKO 10), then lost it to Young Peter Jackson (DQ 11). Jackson finished the year with a successful defense versus the Dixie Kid (UD 12), thereby moving up the rankings.

USBA: Honey Mellody took the title from Mike "Twin" Sullivan with a 6th round TKO, followed with a win over Battling Bill Hurley (UD 12), but then dropped a controversial split decision to Dixie Kid. Kid later challenged Jackson for the NABF crown.

CBU: Mysterious Billy Smith won the title from Johnny Summers (UD 12) in London in February, but has yet to defend it.

GBU: Young Joseph only defended once, easily retaining the crown via a 7th round TKO of TC Michael Townsend.

EBU: Ex-champ Jimmy Gardner defended the crown he won in 1906 with a SD 12 verdict over Young Joseph.

Rankings (with Perf Pts and changes from prior year noted)
Champ: Joe Gans 56-5 (35) 914 pts NC
1. Young Peter Jackson 39-7-2 (26) 837 pts up 9
2. Dixie Kid 29-7-1 (13) 836 pts up 4
3. Joe Walcott 55-16-2 (21) 788 pts up 4
4. Johnny Summers 21-5-1 (8) 779 pts down 3
5. Honey Mellody 23-7 (13) 742 pts up 3
6. Mike Sullivan 25-8 (13) 736 pts down 4
7. Jimmy Gardner 21-5-1 (11) 711 pts down 2
8. Young Joseph 21-4 (10) 697 pts up 1
9. Willie Lewis 21-9 (15) 622 pts down 6
10. Jack Britton 14-1 (10) 565 pts new

Top to bottom a very strong division, as illustrated by the jockeying for position and the high Perf Pts numbers, with the top 12 rated fighters all at 500 pts plus and a total of 18 with 300 pts or more. All the top rated boxers are at Prime career stage, with the exception of Britton, who will be at Pre-Prime until his 20th bout. Of particular note is Walcott's propensity for fouling, as 10 of his 16 losses have come via the DQ route. Dropping out of the Top 10 was last year's #4, still the CBU champ, Mysterious Billy Smith, now at 50-18 (35) after losing to Britton after hitting the Post-Prime career stage. Britton's only loss came by way of a DQ versus a TC. The top rated (and only ranked) TC is Norm Munster, 15-12-1 (4), checking in at #21 with 265 perf pts.

No retirements in 1907 and none imminent, but there are now four boxers in Post-Prime (Rube Ferns, Matty Matthews and Perry Queenan in addition to the aforementioned Mysterious Billy). Prospect Kyle Whitney is 11-0 and two other prospects, Jimmy Clabby and Kid Graves, are at 6-0. In 1908, the ranks will be joined by Mike Glover, Waldemar Holberg and Arthur Evernden.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:56 AM   #35
JCWeb
Hall Of Famer

1907-Lightweights

WBA Title: Again, in a very competitive division, the WBA belt did not change, as Jack Blackburn rang up four sucessive title defenses in 1907, all by unanimous decisions, over USBA Champ Young Donahue, CBU Champ Fighting Dick Hyland, and then over the top 2 contenders, Battling Nelson and Jewey Cooke. Blackburn has now won 10 in a row and made 8 successful title defenses. Going into their bouts with Blackburn, Nelson had won 7 in a row and Cooke had won 6 straight, so the champ wasn't ducking anyone.

NABF: A much more topsy-turvy situation, as Harlem Tommy Murphy took the title from Matty "Bunker Hill Bearcat" Baldwin with a UD 12 then lost it to Young Erne in a MD 12 (a fight that was set up by Young Erne's win in the earlier fight-of-year candidate versus Kid Fredericks).

USBA: Title for the third time went to Jewey Cooke, who took the crown with a solid UD 12 win over Young Donahue -- it was Donahue's first and only defense of the title he won in 1906.

CBU: Canadian Fighting Dick Hyland made two successful defenses versus TC Art Singletary (KO 7) and fellow Canadian Mike Ward (UD 12). He has now made five successive defenses.

GBU: Jem Driscoll moved up from FW to take the crown from Singletary (TKO 4) but lost it in the very next bout to up-and-comer Freddie Welsh via UD 12. Welsh then defended with a TKO 4 over Singletary, who has become everyone's favorite punching bag.

EBU: Battling Nelson defended once, squeaking out a SD 12 in London against Jem Driscoll, the hometown favorite (this was right before Driscoll became British champ).

Rankings (including perf pts and changes from last year):

Champ Jack Blackburn 27-3-1 (12) 1209 pts NC
1. Battling Nelson 42-7 (26) 943 pts NC
2. Jewey Cooke 49-10-1 (28) 865 pts NC
3. Frank Erne 39-17-4 (28) 711 pts up 1
4. Freddie Welsh 14-1 (9) 701 pts new
5. Jem Driscoll 30-4 (25) 681 pts new (was #2 at FW)
6. Young Donahue 21-4-1 (7) 586 pts down 1
7. Harlem Tommy Murphy 16-5-1 (8) 542 pts up 4
8. Fighting Dick Hyland 17-4-2 (12) 538 pts up 1
9. Matty Baldwin 18-6-1 (14) 514 pts down 6
10. Young Erne 24-9-3 (11) 503 pts up 2

Of the top guys, all are at Prime except for F Erne who moves to Post in 1908 (his last year IRL) and Welsh who is still at Pre-Prime. Other LWs moving to Post-Prime in 1908 are Tim Callahan and Kid Fredericks. Welsh's only loss was by TKO to up-and-comer Ray Bronson, now 15th ranked at 12-1-2 (7). Frank Erne secured his position with a MD10 win in December over his namesake, Young Erne. Top ten dropouts from last year are Arthur Douglas (was #6), Fredericks (was #7), Chicago Dave Barry (was #8) and Callahan (was #10). Performance points-wise, the top 10 here is not quite as strong as the WW, only 10 above 500, but with 21 at 300 pp or more, top to bottom the LWs are perhaps the deepest division right now. Top TC is Mike Dempster at #26 with 15-3-2 (4) mark, 131 pp.

Looking ahead to the future, Leach Cross is 10-0 (6) while Charley White and Ad Wolgast are both 8-0. KO Brown is already 5-0 (3) after just one year in action. Set to join the fray in 1908 are Jack Curley, Lockport Jimmy Duffy, Special Delivery Hirsch and Paul Koehler.

Last edited by JCWeb; 03-29-2006 at 12:58 AM.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:09 AM   #36
JCWeb
Hall Of Famer

1907-Featherweights

WBA Title -- Well, Terry McGovern's reign as World Champ lasted about 18 months. After two more successful title defenses in 1907 versus the lowly Tommy Love (TKO 4) and all-time great George Dixon (TKO 2), he decided to risk it all in his fifth defense versus former champ Abe Attell. Abe withstood the onslaught to bang out a UD 15 to regain the crown he lost two years earlier to Jem Driscoll.

NABF: Attell began the year with this title, defended it twice (TD 4 with Eddie Santry and UD 12 over Jimmy Walsh), then Young Corbett edged out Walsh (MD 12) for the vacant title once Abe regained the WBA crown.

USBA: Brooklyn Tommy Sullivan continued to defend this belt, with defenses over Joe Bernstein (TKO 11), Harry Lyons (UD 12) and Aurelio Herrera (KO 6) to bring his total successive defenses to 7.

CBU: Young Griffo, now an old-timer, clung to the belt with a 12-round draw with Canadian Percy Cove, but then lost it next time out to Owen Moran (UD 12). Moran, who made the move up from BW, then whipped another aging Aussie vet, Tim Hegarty (UD 12) in his first defense.

GBU: No action, as the title-holder, Jem Driscoll, moved up to LW.

Rankings (including Perf Pts and change from prior year):

Champ: Abe Attell 34-2-1 (13) 1048 pts was #1
1. Brooklyn Tommy Sullivan 33-10-1 (21) 998 pts up 2
2. Terry McGovern 31-12-1 (28) 967 pts was champ
3. Harry Lyons 45-10-1 (25) 780 pts up 1
4. Young Griffo 73-10-4 (29) 683 pts up 1
5. Owen Moran 25-5 (14) 663 pts New -- was #6 in BW
6. Benny Soloman 32-11 (26) 594 pts NC
7. Young Corbett 28-12-4 (19) 588 pts up 3
8. Aurelio Herrera 25-12-2 (23) 577 pts up 3
9. Joe Bernstein 29-17-2 (14) 529 pts down 2
10. Eddie Santry 28-19-2 (17) 491 pts down 2

All in all, an older group of fighters than we see in the other divisions. Attell, Brooklyn Tommy and Moran are all at Prime, but McGovern hits Post-Prime in 1908 as do Soloman and Bernstein, Lyons is already at Post-Prime, Herrera is due to hit Post-Prime in '09, Corbett in '10 and Santry in '11. Young Griffo, remarkably, continues to hang on despite now being the oldest active fighter in the game (born in 1869). His 87 bouts surpasses the record set by the retired great, Peter Jackson, and his 73 wins tie him with Tommy Ryan for most in that category. But, surely, 1908 has got to be his final year!

Two former champs called it quits in 1907: Oscar Gardner and the all-time great George "Little Chocolate" Dixon. Their career marks:

Dixon 1886-1907 58-21-4 (21) WBA Champ in both BW and FW
Gardner 1894-1907 32-18-1 (18) WBA FW Champ

Look for more retirements in the near future as Griffo, fellow Aussie Tim Hegarty, Irishman Dave Sullivan and American Hugh McPadden are all at the End stage of their careers. Top-ranked TC on the charts is Tim Groden, 12-15-2 (3) record, 20th with 171 pts. Snailham (#9 in 1907) dropped out of Top 10 to make way for newcomer Moran. This division is in need of some fresh blood, right now the top prospect is Johnny Kilbane, who is 5-0 all by KO. In 1908, three newcomers arrive, paced by Eddie O'Keefe along with Billy Elliott and Jimmy Hill.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:10 AM   #37
JCWeb
Hall Of Famer

1907-Bantamweights

WBA Title Fights: Harry Harris, despite reaching the Post-Prime of his career, still appears unbeatable, racking up two more title defense wins in 1907, a KO 12 of Digger Stanley and a KO 8 of Monte Attell. He now has defended a total of 17 times (including one draw) since taking the crown from Jimmy Barry in 1901, making him the longest reigning champ in any division heading into 1908.

NABF: Jimmy Barry, approaching retirement, defended the NABF crown one more time versus Morris Rauch (KO 6), then resigned the title. In the matchup for the vacant crown, Biz Mackey scored a UD 12 win over Phil McGovern.

USBA: Five USBA Title Bouts during the year. First, Al Delmont took the crown away from Philly McGovern with a WDQ in 11. He defended versus TC Carl DeWitt (TKO 3) and then nosed out McGovern with a SD 12 verdict. In his third defense, however, his luck ran out, as youngster Johnny Coulon turned the tables with a SD 12 win over Delmont. Coulon then ended the year on a winning note, a UD 12 defense of the title over veteran Frankie Neil.

CBU: Joe Bowker defended with two knockout wins over TC Stuart Markham (KO 8) and veteran Pedlar Palmer (KO 4).

GBU: A foul cost Bowker his GBU title, losing it in the 11th to TC Lee Ridley. Ridley defended once versus fellow TC Markham (winning with a TKO 9), but his fairy-tale ride came to an end when Digger Stanley outpointed him to put the crown back in the hands of real-life fighters.

EBU: This title was up for grabs when Owen Moran left to campaign as a FW. Digger Stanley annexed the vacant crown with a SD12 win over Pedlar Palmer.

Rankings (including Perf Pts and changes from last year):

Champ: Harry Harris 41-4-1 (28) 1164 pts NC
1. Al Delmont 22-5 (14) 689 pts up 3
2. Johnny Coulon 16-1 (12) 670 pts New
3. Biz Mackey 22-5-2 (8) 633 pts NC
4. Monte Attell 14-5-1 (9) 612 pts up 7
5. Hugh McGovern 20-7-1 (11) 492 pts up 4
6. Phil McGovern 24-11-2 (9) 473 pts up 2
7. Harry Forbes 26-16-4 (11) 419 pts down 2
8. Frankie Neil 20-11-1 (13) 397 pts up 5
9. Kid Murphy 16-5 (13) 392 pts up 1
10. Morris Rauch 22-17-2 (9) 383 pts down 3

Wow! All US fighters in the Top 10, in a division which has had a historically strong contingent from the UK in the past. Of course, Moran (#6 last year) left for greener pastures in the FW division, and Bowker (who was #2) really fouled up his rating (pardon the pun) with that DQ loss to TC Ridley. Digger Stanley, the EBU and GBU champ, is #11 with a 17-12-1 (6) mark and 318 pts followed by Lee Ridley, the top TC with a 10-10 (3) mark and 317 pts. Bowker, still CBU champ, slid all the way to 14th, with 287 pts and a 21-10-2 (14) record. The gap between the Champ and the top contender is greater here than in any other division, largely reflecting the fact that Harris has held the title for so long--and also that no clearcut challenger has emerged, although Coulon may be on his way. Harris and Rauch hit Post-Prime in 1907, and all the others are at Prime except for Coulon (still Pre-Prime until bout #20). Delmont recovered from his upset loss to Coulon with two wins to regain the #1 contender spot. Coulon's one loss was a UD 10 to Kid Murphy. One of the bigger upsets in 1907 was a UD 10 win by prospect Charles Goldman over Biz Mackey.

Frankie Conley (10-0, 9 KOs) and Goldman (8-0-1, 4 KOs) are the top prospects, aside from Coulon, who has already made his mark. New in 1907 was Joseph Biderburg aka Louisiana, who now sports a 2-0 mark. Frankie Burns and Philadelphia Pal Moore are set to enter the bantam ranks in 1908.

1907 marked the retirement year of one of the all-time greats in the division, Jimmy Barry, whose career marks were as follows:

1891-1907 55-4-3 (40) WBA Champ from 1897-1901
Old 03-29-2006, 03:32 AM   #38
JCWeb
Hall Of Famer

1907-Flyweights and Final Post

Flyweight Division action got underway in 1907; as expected, Sid Smith had a fairly easy time of it, compiling a 5-0 (2) record against a steady diet of stiffs. Smith will be joined by countryman Bill Ladbury in the division starting in 1908. Look for it to be several years before sanctioned bouts appear, probably in the 1910-11 time frame.

As a new feature, with the Perf Pts numbers I have compiled a list of the Top Ten "Pound for Pound" best across all divisions. Here's the list (career records were contained in prior posts, of course):

1. Jack Blackburn, LW (WBA Champ) 1209 pts
2. Harry Harris, BW (WBA Champ) 1164 pts
3. Phila Jack O'Brien, LH and HW (WBA Champ) 1143 pts
4. Jack Johnson, HW (no title) 1142 pts
5. James Jeffries, HW (NABF Champ) 1142 pts
6. Abe Attell, FW (WBA Champ) 1048 pts
7. Brooklyn Tommy Sullivan, FW (USBA Champ) 998 pts
8. Terry McGovern, FW (no title) 967 pts
9. Battling Nelson, LW (EBU Champ) 943 pts
10. Sam Langford, HW (CBU Champ) 932 pts

Be interesting to see how these Perf Pts numbers hold up over time (i.e. will there be ratings inflation, deflation or not) and whether they can possibly serve as a comparison across time as well as a comparison across the various weight classes.

Expect no more reports of action until completion of the next year (1908), which I'm shooting for by around tax day, April 15th.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:12 AM   #39
mh2365
Banned

good stuff as always
Old 04-17-2006, 02:23 AM   #40
JCWeb
Hall Of Famer

1908-Heavywieghts

After a few trials and tribulations following the installation of a new graphics card, 1908 is in the books. I took some notes on the World Title fights and will add them here in the form of commentary along with some additional comments on some of the up-and-coming prospects in each division. The first report, of course, covers the Heavyweight Division.

WBA Title Fights:
Phila Jack O'Brien CH (44-3-1) vs Mike Schreck #8 (21-9)

Phila Jack opted for a relatively easy opponent for his first title defense. Schreck was cut near the left eye early on, and soon thereafter the cut was reopened by O'Brien. While Schreck gamely fought on, O'Brien piled up the points lead, reopened the cut once again in round 8, then opened a cut over the other eye, all of which led to an early stoppage. O'Brien by TKO 11.

Phila Jack O'Brien CH (45-3-1) vs Tommy Burns #5 (26-5-2)

Burns got himself back in the title picture by capturing the Commonwealth title belt via a foul by Sam Langford. The bout was close in the early rounds, and when O'Brien moved inside Burns caught him with an overhand right to score the first KD in round 3. Round 4 saw Burns become even more aggressive, taking the fight to O'Brien and putting the former LH down for the count wiht a big left hook. The title changes hands! Burns by KO 4.

Tommy Burns CH (27-5-2) vs Bill Squires #19 (15-13)

Burns travels down under for his first defense against his successor as Commonwealth champ, "Boshter" Bill Squires. A pro-Squires Aussie crowd saw the Boshter charge out, looking for an early KO. But Burns outboxed the Aussie, piling up a points lead from the outside. A cut opened over the left eye of Squires in round 2, and his corner had trouble closing it. Squires was decked by Burns early in round 4, but he eschewed the cover up approach, as it was all or nothing for the Boshter. Burns countered by reopening the cut and soon thereafter another Burns hook put the Boshter down for the count. Good action fight. Burns by KO 4.

NABF: The title stayed with James Jeffries, who defended twice versus Marvin Hart (UD 12) and Mike Schreck (TKO 3).

USBA: McVey defended versus Hart (UD 12), but then ex-champ Jack Johnson bested McVey (UD 12) and defended once versus Denver Ed Martin (KO 1).

CBU: Burns, as mentioned earlier, took the title from Langford (WDQ 1), vacated it after winning the WBA belt, then Squires defeated fellow Aussie Bill Lang (KO 6) and defended versus Jack Munroe (TKO 9).

GBU: An aging Jack Palmer retained the belt with a draw versus TC Ray Farquahr (TD 5) then was ousted by up-and-comer William Iron Hague (KO 3) who ascends to the British crown in only his 9th bout.

Jan 1909 Rankings (pp and changes from last year in parens)

Champ Tommy Burns 28-5-2 (22) (1006) (up 7)
1. Jack Johnson 57-4-2 (45) (1212) (NC)
2. James Jeffries 46-5-3 (40) (1186) (NC)
3. Phila Jack O'Brien 45-4-2 (25) (980) (down 3)
4. Joe Jeannette 22-1 (18) (894) (up 1)
5. Sam Langford 26-5 (21) (850) (down 2)
6. Sam McVey 24-5 (16) (811) (down 2)
7. Bob Armstrong 38-17-1 (31) (810) (down 1)
8. Al Kaufmann 19-4 (12) (502) (up 2)
9. Denver Ed Martin 23-13-1 (20) (485) (up 4)
10. John Haines 24-14-3 (12) (473) (down 1)

Everyone is at Prime career stage except "Klondyke" Haines, who hits his retirement year in 1909 and is thus moved to Post-Prime. Mike Schreck, #8 last year, dropped just outside the Top Ten to #11. Newly-crowned GBU champ Hague at 8-1 (7) debuts at #12 (424 pp). CBU champ Squires is further back at #18 with a 15-14 (11) mark (231 pp). Top TC is Ray Farquahr at #23 with 95 pp.

Johnson and Jeffries, both rated higher than Burns, will likely be agitating for a Title shot versus the Canadian--Jeff has one more year before hitting Post-Prime in 1910. Phila Jack O'Brien faces a dilemna -- his less than scintillating draw with the aging vet Tom Sharkey (in Sharkey's final bout) means he may seriously be looking at returning to the easier competition in the LH Division. Joe Jeannette has now won 5 in a row since his only loss to McVey in 1907, and he now seeks his first Title shot. Langford lost the CBU Title and then a close bout to Johnson. McVey also suffered two losses in 1908.

Prospects: Frank Moran who compiled an impressive 7-0 (5) record in his first year is probably the top young prospect in the division. Jim Barry who sports a 10-2 (9) mark lost to Sharkey and Kaufmann but has a win over the always tough Joe Grim. Jim Stewart is 8-1-1 (6) with a win over Matthew Curran, the only fighter to defeat Iron Hague, plus a draw with Grim after an upset loss to a TC. Curran's record stands at 7-1 (4). Joplin Ghost Jeff Clarke and Irishman Jem Roche show promise and have identical 5-0-1 marks. Jim Savage is 4-0 (3). Victor McLaglen has been disappointing, with a 4-1-2 (2) record after his first year. In 1909, Aussie Colin Bell and Americans Tom McMahon and Gunboat Smith headline another strong crop of young heavyweights set to make their debuts.

Retirements: Four HWs hung up the gloves, their career records:

Frank Gotch (USA) 1901-1908 13-15 (9) No Titles
Gus Ruhlin (USA) 1896-1908 24-24-1 (19) USBA Champ
Jack Munroe (CAN) 1900-1908 16-14 (9) CBU Champ
Tom Sharkey (IRL) 1893-1908 47-15-3 (42) No Titles

Obviously Sharkey was the best of the bunch, but he had the misfortune of being matched up in his four WBA Title contests with some very strong boxers in the prime of their careers (Peter Jackson, James Corbett and twice versus James Jeffries).