Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:25 PM   #121
Malova
Minors (Double A)

Markus Question.... What franchise updates have been done? Ever a chance we can be the owner and hire GM’s? I always wanted to create a player see him play earn money, maybe him coach or Gm perhaps buy his favorite team and run it? I know it’s RPG sorta but I always thought something like this would be fun.
Malova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 12:26 AM   #122
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

Pre-order completed! Easiest decision I made all day.

Bonus: the top 3 things that I am excited for...

1. ability to auto-update ratings for MLB players in an existing game...LIVE SERVICES!!!

2. 3D/animation upgrades

3. ability to use a starting position player in a backup role at other positions...irrationally excited about that

Question for Markus, Matt, or Lukas...have the coaching screens/interfaces been changed so that I can easily sort on development rating when perusing potential MiLB managers?

Last edited by waittilnextyear; 02-27-2019 at 12:50 AM.
waittilnextyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 12:45 AM   #123
mjcarr74
Major Leagues

Are there any audio changes this year like more situations hr ect.....?
mjcarr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 01:58 AM   #124
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caporegime View Post
Openers / Followers / In-Betweeners / Up-and-Downers / All-Arounders, etc. Oh Well, I guess that's where we are today. What can you do?

I'm old enough to remember guys like Wilbur Wood. He was his own Opener, Follower, Closer, and caterer all rolled into one.
The following article on the SABR website might be of interest: Working Overtime: Wilbur Wood, Johnny Sain and the White Sox Two-Days’ Rest Experiment of the 1970s.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 02:07 AM   #125
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportingZoo View Post
Quick question for Live Services:

I know it goes against the "live" aspect, but are you able to load up a historical date and have the stats/standings from then as well? For example, would I be able to load to October 2nd 1987 to help the Jays win the division over the Tigers?

Regardless if this is possible, I am absolutely in love with the mode already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
No, that is not possible, we do not have the data for historical seasons necessary to accomplish this.
Such data, at least at a rudimentary level, is available from Retrosheet. It has box scores available for MLB games from 1906 through 2018. From those, as well as the game logs, the starting line up for each game is available. Retrosheet also has the day-by-day standings for every MLB season, as well as the transactions which took place that day.

Last edited by Le Grande Orange; 02-27-2019 at 02:08 AM.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 04:21 AM   #126
Supermercado
Minors (Triple A)

Any updates to the news system? Feels like I've been looking at the same checkboxes for a decade.
Supermercado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 04:54 AM   #127
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by reme View Post
Will we be able to import and use ootp19 saves in the new version to utilize the new features ?
thanks
Yes
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 04:54 AM   #128
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermercado View Post
Any updates to the news system? Feels like I've been looking at the same checkboxes for a decade.
No. What's wrong with it? I think it works perfectly fine as is
Old 02-27-2019, 04:56 AM   #129
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malova View Post
Markus Question.... What franchise updates have been done? Ever a chance we can be the owner and hire GM’s? I always wanted to create a player see him play earn money, maybe him coach or Gm perhaps buy his favorite team and run it? I know it’s RPG sorta but I always thought something like this would be fun.
The manager / GM mode has not changed in OOTP 20. As far as RPG, google Inside the Park Baseball, we did this a loong time ago but it did not sell enough to warrant further development unfortunately.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:26 AM   #130
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
Curious as the reasoning to fraction the install base across multiple stores and versions? And not just use 1 store or 100% steam?

Once paradox fully converted to steam their games niche nevertheless soared to top 15-20 games on steam.

Which gave them that much more ranking and recommendations on steam further increasing sales.

It would also help convert all of the mods to steam workshop as that has basically been dead the last 2 years.

OOTP wouldnt be that much different than s game like cities skylines which has huge number of assets created by fans but all on the workshop.

XX would have been a good edition to switch entirely over to steam. I remember the paradox forum was in uproar once they did away with installers then once they left GOG. But in the end them, the game's, and the user base was much better off.

I only use paradox as an example because their games are niche and went through the same thing.

Not sure if their is some official story or reasoning to not go 100% steam
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:52 AM   #131
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post
Curious as the reasoning to fraction the install base across multiple stores and versions? And not just use 1 store or 100% steam?

Once paradox fully converted to steam their games niche nevertheless soared to top 15-20 games on steam.

Which gave them that much more ranking and recommendations on steam further increasing sales.

It would also help convert all of the mods to steam workshop as that has basically been dead the last 2 years.

OOTP wouldnt be that much different than s game like cities skylines which has huge number of assets created by fans but all on the workshop.

XX would have been a good edition to switch entirely over to steam. I remember the paradox forum was in uproar once they did away with installers then once they left GOG. But in the end them, the game's, and the user base was much better off.

I only use paradox as an example because their games are niche and went through the same thing.

Not sure if their is some official story or reasoning to not go 100% steam
You can't go to 1 source, you will lose customers, not gain.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 02-27-2019 at 06:54 AM.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:46 AM   #132
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
Not sure if you are aware of the trend in exclusivity for gaming stores these days. But it's huge. Every game from Indy to AAA is doing it.

Stores are even fighting over the exclusivity rights with each other.

Stand alone installers in terms of overall gaming market is some kind of ancient artifact to be studied by anthropologists.

Paradox still has it's own store but it gives you a steam key. All of the crowd sourced games when you pledge give you a steam key.

So you are still selling the product in multiple sources but you are supporting 1 fan base,1 version of the game and 1 online store model. Even though multiple places might sell the product.

With perfect team gaining in popularity it's going to bring in more and more steam users. Who don't even know about the ootp forums or the community here. Or the modding community etc.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 09:08 AM   #133
Chico Guilbault
All Star Starter

I tried steam in order to play Football Manager. It was an incredibly annoying, obnoxious and frustrating experience. I have since deleted all traces of it from my computer. Going to 100% steam would at least lose one customer.

Chico Guilbault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 09:20 AM   #134
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Who?

This remarkably athletic looking gentleman here:

Old 02-27-2019, 09:38 AM   #135
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post

Fascinating article, especially regarding Johnny Sain's philosophy as a pitching coach. Sain on a pitcher's arm: “It’ll rust out before it wears out.”

Last edited by Caporegime; 02-27-2019 at 09:48 AM.
Caporegime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:03 AM   #136
gentlemanofleisure
Minors (Double A)

what is the new feature with tie-breakers?

also it seems like somewhere along the line the 2-5 format for playoff series has gone away. 2 road then 5 home. Will that ever come back?
gentlemanofleisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:21 AM   #137
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caporegime View Post
This remarkably athletic looking gentleman here:

Pitched for the White Sox against the Twins in the first MLB game I ever attended June 19, 1971 at The Met. A very young 20 yr old Bert Blyleven started for the Twins.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 12:08 PM   #138
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
You can't go to 1 source, you will lose customers, not gain.
not necessarily. If everyone has to download off steam then you might lose some stubborn existing customers but your game will also appear higher on the popularity charts and draw in more new customers. How exactly that trades off is the job of market research to figure out
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 12:46 PM   #139
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

I certainly prefer buying direct. The patches are faster, OOTPD gets more money, and I was easily able to use my additional license when I changed computers. I don't know what that process would have been like on Steam.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 01:05 PM   #140
jeffw3000
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
The manager / GM mode has not changed in OOTP 20. As far as RPG, google Inside the Park Baseball, we did this a loong time ago but it did not sell enough to warrant further development unfortunately.
I loved Inside the Park Baseball, and thought it had great potential.
jeffw3000 is offline   Reply With Quote