Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 2 > FHM 2 - General Discussions

Old 07-28-2016, 04:40 PM   #1
Lord PichuPal
All Star Reserve

Schedule Snafu

I know this is late in the life cycle of FHM 2's relevance (with 3 coming in a couple months probably), but now that I just wrapped up my first fictional season under expansion rules from 22 to 24 teams, I realized more than just my team had a bad schedule. I'd noticed before my expansion team Boston was only going to have 71 games and thought "That's stupid, why would we play 71 when everyone else gets 80?"

Well, apparently that wasn't the only thing wrong with it. Now that we just completed the regular season, I saw it was multiple teams with this issue.

For the life of me I can't figure out why this would happen, or if I'm the only one this has happened to. But I'm hoping it's an isolated incident in the case of my game so that it doesn't happen again next season, or worse yet, occur again in the next game. Anybody else see this happen before?
Attached Images
Image Image 

Last edited by Lord PichuPal; 07-28-2016 at 04:42 PM.
Lord PichuPal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 03:48 AM   #2
AEWHistory
Minors (Double A)

Well, if this were real life I would suggest that the team folded. Has happened quite a bit historically, especially in small leagues. I don't think the economic model in FHM is robust enough (yet) to have a team fold from lack of funds, but could that be it? Wish I had more useful feedback, but I love the idea of a roller hockey league being simmed on FHM. Why not, right? Now if we could get a roller derby sim.....
Old 07-29-2016, 11:58 AM   #3
DirkGildun
Minors (Single A)

Assuming your league is fictional, the custom schedules provided by the game have a lot of problems -- teams having many more home games than road games (or vice versa), very unbalanced (even with no divisions or conferences), etc.

I asked for a basic schedule editor to be added to FHM2 after its release so that we could manually correct the problems (even if it was tedious), but that never happened. Hopefully, this will be added in FHM3 since this issue totally killed any interest I had in FHM2 (after I purchased it).

I do like its player name generator, however. I use it when I create players in another text hockey game.
DirkGildun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:51 PM   #4
Lord PichuPal
All Star Reserve

I guess I never ran into this previously due to the fact I never used expansion until this season. Everything had been normal with 22 teams (even if the schedule has a weird 2-week gap in late March when most teams have like 2-3 games left) so I don't understand why it suddenly would mess up with 24 after expansion. I imagined it'd just borrow another real world league structure and schedule and use that, but apparently not. My hope is that bringing it up will make it possible to get fixed in the next game, anyway.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:31 AM   #5
landru22
Major Leagues

Scheduling is an area where this game needs MAJOR improvement. Even in my 30-team fictional league, which I assumed would mirror the NHL schedule, teams from the Eastern Conference and playing some teams from the Western Conference more than they are playing some teams in their OWN division!

Someone at FHM really needs to review this. If we are not going to be able to edit/create our own schedules, then please at least give us templates that make some sense.
landru22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 04:53 PM   #6
Adam B
Hockey Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord PichuPal View Post
I guess I never ran into this previously due to the fact I never used expansion until this season. Everything had been normal with 22 teams (even if the schedule has a weird 2-week gap in late March when most teams have like 2-3 games left) so I don't understand why it suddenly would mess up with 24 after expansion. I imagined it'd just borrow another real world league structure and schedule and use that, but apparently not. My hope is that bringing it up will make it possible to get fixed in the next game, anyway.
We thank you for bringing it up. I know I made sure this was passed on and we're currently trying to replicate it. It should have borrowed another league structure, and the fact it didn't is odd. If we can't replicate it, we may need to see your save to find out what happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landru22 View Post
Scheduling is an area where this game needs MAJOR improvement. Even in my 30-team fictional league, which I assumed would mirror the NHL schedule, teams from the Eastern Conference and playing some teams from the Western Conference more than they are playing some teams in their OWN division!

Someone at FHM really needs to review this. If we are not going to be able to edit/create our own schedules, then please at least give us templates that make some sense.
If we aren't informed of something seemingly going wrong, it's tough for us to fix it. The schedule should be balanced automatically, so I would love to see some more details of your league (what structure, did you expand, etc) as to why this happened for you.

As much as the team and testers play the game, it's quite impossible for us to test every outcome because frankly, no one plays the game the same way. We rely on community members such as yourself telling us of your experience which helps us negate these issues.
Adam B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:14 PM   #7
Lord PichuPal
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by landru22 View Post

I do remember seeing this happen as well, but I think that was using a real life structure for the 22-team league. I don't know what league I borrowed from where a team could be playing someone from their division only twice but then turn around and play the other conference 5 times against one team, while having 7 games against another division opponent. I was hoping I'd seen no more oddities with that one after the expansion, so this is a confusing issue to see pop up.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:54 AM   #8
landru22
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B View Post
If we aren't informed of something seemingly going wrong, it's tough for us to fix it. The schedule should be balanced automatically, so I would love to see some more details of your league (what structure, did you expand, etc) as to why this happened for you.

As much as the team and testers play the game, it's quite impossible for us to test every outcome because frankly, no one plays the game the same way. We rely on community members such as yourself telling us of your experience which helps us negate these issues.
Sorry, I have read other threads pertaining to the scheduling issues, so I assumed you were informed. I created a 30-team custom league with 2 conferences, six divisions total (like the NHL was a few years ago), and an 82-games schedule.

I just went through my entire schedule (I'm in my 4th season of play) and against the four other teams in my division I play one of them 4 times, and 1 EACH against the other three. I play one team in the Western Conference (I'm in the Eastern Conference) five times, 6 teams I play 4 times, 5 teams 2 times, and 3 teams once. I play 3 teams in my conference, but out of my division, 5 times, another 3 teams out of my division 4 times, 2 teams twice and 2 teams once.

As I said, I am in season 4 of this league, but I'm pretty sure seasons 1 thru 3 were basically the same as far as the scheduling issues.

If you would like, I would be glad to upload my game, but I'm reasonably sure if you were to re-create my setup from scratch you would get the same results.

I also have a 24-team custom league (2 confs - 4 divisions - 84 games) that has similar results.

I have not expanded in either league.

Last edited by landru22; 07-31-2016 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Forgot important info
landru22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 06:39 PM   #9
DirkGildun
Minors (Single A)

I tried to create an 8-team custom league with 0 conferences and 0 divisions. The only schedule available in FHM2 is for 78 games. This is wrong immediately (the best result would be 11 games against 6 opponents and 12 games against the 7th opponent?).

I generated the league to see how the schedule would be created, and it was all over the place as far as how many games played against each opponent and how many were set up as home and away.

There are several other custom league schedules I looked at (several months ago) that have the same problem. Apparently, someone should have double checked these more closely before FHM2 was released (especially since they have never been corrected).
Old 09-16-2016, 10:51 AM   #10
jbaumgardt1
Minors (Single A)

I have a 36 team custom league 4 divisions with 9 teams each. The schedule that is generated seems pretty balanced, however about 85% of the games are inter divisional/ intra conference games with the remaining being divisional games. If it was the other way around with most of the games being divisional games, I would not have a problem. I'm not expecting the schedule to be perfect, but I would at least like to be able see it be balanced with a stronger focus on divisional play. What happens outside the division doesn't really matter to me. Anyway, I hope that scheduling will at least be improved if not fixed in FHM3.
jbaumgardt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 01:16 PM   #11
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaumgardt1 View Post
I have a 36 team custom league 4 divisions with 9 teams each. The schedule that is generated seems pretty balanced, however about 85% of the games are inter divisional/ intra conference games with the remaining being divisional games. If it was the other way around with most of the games being divisional games, I would not have a problem. I'm not expecting the schedule to be perfect, but I would at least like to be able see it be balanced with a stronger focus on divisional play. What happens outside the division doesn't really matter to me. Anyway, I hope that scheduling will at least be improved if not fixed in FHM3.

If they do have a schedule editor(I doubt it) for FHM3,it might be the only reason I make the purchase.

I have zero interest in playing the modern game(with the same scheduling) as it was intended. How would that be-Very Boring(quoting Adam Ant song).

Last edited by Orioles1966; 09-16-2016 at 01:17 PM.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 01:30 PM   #12
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

The main focus of FHM 3 is the modern game in combination with immersion and career mode. I know that some people will not like it but for the moment it is what it is. If, at any point, we earn enough money to pay another coder, we will have more options for development.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:24 PM   #13
DirkGildun
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Palkowski View Post
The main focus of FHM 3 is the modern game in combination with immersion and career mode. I know that some people will not like it but for the moment it is what it is. If, at any point, we earn enough money to pay another coder, we will have more options for development.

So you're saying there will be no schedule editor and/or importer function in FHM3? If not, I guess I'll be waiting for FHM4 then (I'm a diehard fictional/custom league player, and most of the custom schedules in FHM2 are terrible).
Old 09-16-2016, 02:27 PM   #14
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkGildun View Post
So you're saying there will be no schedule editor and/or importer function in FHM3? If not, I guess I'll be waiting for FHM4 then (I'm a diehard fictional/custom league player, and most of the custom schedules in FHM2 are terrible).
No, sorry. In this case it might be better for you to wait for a later version of FHM.
Old 09-17-2016, 01:16 AM   #15
Anton
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
No, sorry. In this case it might be better for you to wait for a later version of FHM.
Or buy FHM3 and help the squad get over the hump...
Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 10:31 AM   #16
DirkGildun
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton View Post
Or buy FHM3 and help the squad get over the hump...

I already have bought FHM2 (last fall) and not really played it since the first day I had it (because of the scheduling issues). I asked early on for a schedule editor and/or importer to be added in an update, but that didn't happen.

I do use FHM2 occasionally, however, to generate fictional player names for another PC hockey game that I do play.
Old 09-17-2016, 01:06 PM   #17
Anton
Minors (Double A)

Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 01:29 PM   #18
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

I think that is the good thing about more then one hockey game: everyone can chose which one works best for someone.

I´m pretty sure some people don´t like the way we go with FHM (at least in the short run) but another game might be. You can´t just make everyone happy.
Old 09-17-2016, 06:58 PM   #19
Lord PichuPal
All Star Reserve

Well, I'm not so much concerned about an editor program for the schedule as I am just ensuring the fictional schedules actually work as they should. It's confusing why it suddenly came up with the wacky schedule I got in my newly expanded league, when it had been fine prior to that at 22 teams. I just want it to actually create a proper schedule based on the divisions and such, even if it borrows from a real world schedule to do that. I imagine that part is easier than coming up with a completely new program on the side.

Though being able to import/export saves between versions would be appreciated in the future, too. I imagine that's something a lot of people would want for modern or fictional.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:41 PM   #20
GiantYankee
All Star Starter

Quote:
Okay but have the schedules been tweaked at all? Especially the ones that are really unbalanced? I've read that even a fictional 30 team league (modeled after the current NHL) has a wonky schedule that doesn't follow the NHL's.
GiantYankee is offline   Reply With Quote