Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - New to the Game?

OOTP 16 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 03-25-2015, 11:58 PM   #1
HalNewhouser
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Destroying Christy Mathewson

I am new to OOTP & have started a game in the year 1901. I just finished the 1907 season, but have destroyed some Hall of Fame arms in the process. For example, one of the all time greats, Christy Mathewson, is now a shell of his former self.

In my game, Mathewson has gone from 20 Stuff (out of 20), 7 Movement & 10 Control in 1901 to 11 Stuff, 1 Movement & 3 Control in 1908.

Innings-wise, Mathewson has thrown a ton of innings during this 7 year span (2270 IP), but in real life he pitched almost the exact same (2272 IP). Mathewson is now 27 in my game.

My questions are the following:
1) Have I ruined Mathewson for good?
2) Even though high innings pitched was the norm back in the early days, will I have to adjust my pitchers for the future to throw them less?
3) For pitcher stamina, does that ever go up substantially?

Thanks!
HalNewhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:07 AM   #2
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
How are you playing? With the development engine on? If so, then player development can sometimes surprise you for no other reason than just because.

If you want players to be exactly like they were for every season of their career, turn the development engine off and recalculate the ratings every year based on the current season.

P.S. As long as your are pitching guys when they are rested and not making them go past when they get tired in a game, then you will not put more stress on their arms than normal. Pitchers back then can handle the load they did in real life and you do not have to baby them like today's starters.
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:36 AM   #3
HalNewhouser
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanks for the response. Yes, the development engine is on. I do like having the engine on, but in seems like for pitchers & hitters alike, once they hit 27 or so, their ratings drop by half.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:30 AM   #4
Peregrine
All Star Reserve

Yeah I have seen the same thing where certain players will just "wear out" after a period of greatness. It's annoying but probably pretty realistic. With as many injuries as modern pitchers get, it's amazing that the old-timers were able to pitch so many innings so effectively.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:45 AM   #5
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Destroying Christy Mathewson.....coming to a theater near you I'm thinking romcom starring Amy Adams and Paul Rudd.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:44 AM   #6
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Destroying Christy Mathewson.....coming to a theater near you I'm thinking romcom starring Amy Adams and Paul Rudd.
I'd watch anything with those two....
Old 03-27-2015, 04:37 PM   #7
HalNewhouser
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I now have Walter Johnson on my team. He's pitched three solid years,starting year four, but each year his stuff has gone down. His stuff has gone from 18 to 19 to 17 to 16. This is starting to look a lot like Christy Mathewson.

Is it normal to have the stuff for pitchers start to drop after just a few years? He is now 22 in my game.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:39 PM   #8
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalNewhouser View Post
I now have Walter Johnson on my team. He's pitched three solid years,starting year four, but each year his stuff has gone down. His stuff has gone from 18 to 19 to 17 to 16. This is starting to look a lot like Christy Mathewson.

Is it normal to have the stuff for pitchers start to drop after just a few years? He is now 22 in my game.
No, at 22 , stuff should be on the rise.....
Old 03-27-2015, 04:50 PM   #9
HalNewhouser
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I am not pitching him when he is tired. What am I doing wrong?
Old 03-27-2015, 05:07 PM   #10
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalNewhouser View Post
I am not pitching him when he is tired. What am I doing wrong?
It is impossible for me to say what the issue may be, if any, without being able to see your league first hand.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:09 PM   #11
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

You are moving from a Pitchers world to a hitters world in this Era, Stuff is an after thought,movement and control are way more important in the leagues I've played in during this time frame. Frankly this sample size is so small it would be impossible in my opinion to draw and valid conclusions from one league. You could very well just be a victim of bad random luck. Is this phenomena happening across the board to other pitchers in the league?what is your talent randomness set to? As has been mentioned it is pretty much impossible to draw and solid conclusions from the info provided so far.
“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy.” -Babe Ruth
“Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”-Tris Speaker
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino
Painmantle is offline   Reply With Quote