Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Names and Nations

Old 07-09-2011, 05:40 AM   #81
Chicagofan76
Banned

Infractions: 2/2 (3)
At least it now seems I can still continue my main Endor League and create my new 1 on 11 and convert it over to 12 and my nations that I added will still show up.
Chicagofan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:02 AM   #82
Markmeister
Major Leagues

Muzumba,

I want to thank you for your help too. The XML layout looks good and I can see the potential it brings to the world setup.

I will send you a PM regarding the regions info that I have from OOTP2007.

Mark

Jersey style logos
Vintage letter logos
Vintage uniforms
Markmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:14 AM   #83
tylertoo
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Raht View Post
Sorry buddy, you rule that world, but I rule the world file importer

You cannot change regions into states in the XML file, because they are saved at different "branches" in the structure. You have to watch the file structure, otherwise it will not work.
Heheh, I was about to try to clarify when I saw Mark's clarification, which nailed it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markmeister View Post
I think I know what tylertoo wants to do. Based on his prior description of his world. He was planning to have 2 nations with 18 cities divided into 2 regions.

What he is missing is the states, but it appears he already has the cities divided into 2 regions. All he needs to do is use the structure you have above, and instead of having 2 regions of 9 cities he would have 2 states with 9 cities each. The 2 regions of 9 cities would go away
Precisely. I'm merely changing the fictional picture, taking the names I'd described as regions and deciding instead to structure them in-game as states, while adhering still to the game's structure.

Andreas, thank you for laying this out:

Quote:
Code:
 world
     languages
     continents
         nations
             ethnicities
             states
                 cities
     regions
         region nations
         region states
Even though its in the .xml, seeing the basic structure of the file stripped of any data is helpful.

Another question (to anyone): what data in v12 is still contained in .txt files? I assume names.txt, firstnames.txt.... any others?
Old 07-09-2011, 10:57 AM   #84
tylertoo
Major Leagues

In the manual (which I realize is not updated for v12) under editing the database, I saw this:

Quote:
OOPTB community member halos17 has created a neat tool for Windows users, that has a slick graphical interface for editing OOTPB's text. You can download the program here. We highly recommend this program for Windows users. It has a slick interface that makes editing the XML file much easier than editing manually.
But there's no link. Is this something that could be used for editing world_default.xml instead of the problematic notepad variants?
Old 07-09-2011, 12:47 PM   #85
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

CAN ANYONE SEE THIS?

There must be some kind of technical glitch that is making my posts to Andreas invisible. If you can see this, could you please copy and paste the following questions and post them to this thread so that he can reply to them?

1. How does the game now handle ethnicities? Are those hard-coded too, or can I change the percentages in the ethnicities.txt file and have those changes reflected in the game?

2. Similarly, are player creation values hard-coded in the game? In other words, will I still get a bunch of Latin American players in my player pool, even if I set every Latin American nation's bbqual value to "0"?

3. What happened to the French Canadian-33 names database? Can that be added to the array of available language id's in the .xml file so that the game will recognize that as a valid db, or has it become an orphan database?
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:15 PM   #86
Andreas Raht
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylertoo View Post
In the manual (which I realize is not updated for v12) under editing the database, I saw this:

But there's no link. Is this something that could be used for editing world_default.xml instead of the problematic notepad variants?
Sorry, I didn't add that to the manual and don't know the tool. Probably Steve does (battists)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromchicago View Post
CAN ANYONE SEE THIS?

There must be some kind of technical glitch that is making my posts to Andreas invisible. If you can see this, could you please copy and paste the following questions and post them to this thread so that he can reply to them?

1. How does the game now handle ethnicities? Are those hard-coded too, or can I change the percentages in the ethnicities.txt file and have those changes reflected in the game?

2. Similarly, are player creation values hard-coded in the game? In other words, will I still get a bunch of Latin American players in my player pool, even if I set every Latin American nation's bbqual value to "0"?

3. What happened to the French Canadian-33 names database? Can that be added to the array of available language id's in the .xml file so that the game will recognize that as a valid db, or has it become an orphan database?
No worries, I see your posts. Problem with certain questions is that they really needs some time to answer them because I have to look into the code first.
1) Yes, the ethnicities.txt is still being used. That ethnicities and languages stuff is not 100% completed...
2) If you create an American league, the number of foreign players in the league is still hard coded, yes.
3) I'll check that out ASAP.
Andreas Raht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:41 PM   #87
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
2) If you create an American league, the number of foreign players in the league is still hard coded, yes.
Can you tell us why it was done this way and whether it will be changed in a patch? Hard coding those numbers seems like a large backwards step.

Last edited by Cryomaniac; 07-09-2011 at 01:49 PM. Reason: grammar fail
Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:23 PM   #88
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
When we started the world database project, we wanted to provide a number of world files which OOTP could load when needed. For example one file for 1900-1910, one for 1911 to 1920 and so on. When you sim a year in OOTP and there's another world file available for the new year, OOTP would load it and merge the data into the league file. There's some work to be done until that will be possible. But it's part of the world database concept.
If we only had more time.... (or more sales so we could hire more manpower)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagofan76 View Post
I'll work for coffee & Lucky Charms (hopefully you have those in Germany) I always wanted to visit the homeland. How close are you guys to Bremen?
I am dying to create a natural evolution for my custom leagues. Or to atleast be able to edit players easier and edit history of the league. and start with 2038 vs 2003.
So maybe I'm slow in understanding this. If all works out as planned then I will be able to create a 'fictional history' (much like the MLB history created for the game) and plug that into the game and the game will follow it as directed?
Pre-OOTP 23 Custom Cap & Jersey Template v3.0 by Deft and NoPepper (with layers from other various artists) that I use: Caps, Jerseys
cephasjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:24 PM   #89
Andreas Raht
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
Can you tell us why it was done this way and whether it will be changed in a patch? Hard coding those numbers seems like a large backwards step.
No, that was not done now for OOTP 12. That was done for OOTP 2006
That's all old code that can not easily be changed. We're working on it, but it needs some time to get this all customizable.
The changes that we made this year already introduced a big numbers of bugs and problems that we had to fix during beta testing...
Old 07-09-2011, 02:25 PM   #90
Andreas Raht
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephasjames View Post
So maybe I'm slow in understanding this. If all works out as planned then I will be able to create a 'fictional history' (much like the MLB history created for the game) and plug that into the game and the game will follow it as directed?
Yes, that's the plan. That's not for a patch, but for a later release, I fear.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:46 PM   #91
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No, that was not done now for OOTP 12. That was done for OOTP 2006
That's all old code that can not easily be changed. We're working on it, but it needs some time to get this all customizable.
Thanks for the reply. To be clear, if you create another nation with an ID# that's not 206 and a name that isn't "The United States" (Eg ID# 300 and "United States of America") and use that instead the numbers aren't hard coded?

As I said earlier, it would be cool if each country generated foreign players roughly in line with real life immigration (except maybe fudged a bit for baseball level purposes) so for example England would get a fair amount of foreign players from the rest of the UK and Ireland with most of the rest being Eastern European and South Asian (i.e India / Pakistan, etc). Of course this would ideally be editable, and exist by year or decade.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:50 PM   #92
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes, that's the plan. That's not for a patch, but for a later release, I fear.
I may have just peed my pants a little. Thanks! That is great news. I hope it works out as planned.
Pre-OOTP 23 Custom Cap & Jersey Template v3.0 by Deft and NoPepper (with layers from other various artists) that I use: Caps, Jerseys
Old 07-09-2011, 04:01 PM   #93
Andreas Raht
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
Thanks for the reply. To be clear, if you create another nation with an ID# that's not 206 and a name that isn't "The United States" (Eg ID# 300 and "United States of America") and use that instead the numbers aren't hard coded?
Yes, that would work.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:30 PM   #94
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
But if you set the percentage of foreigners to 0% then none of them can actually be in the league, correct?
Old 07-09-2011, 07:04 PM   #95
Markmeister
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephasjames View Post
But if you set the percentage of foreigners to 0% then none of them can actually be in the league, correct?
Correct, but the issue is if you want to have players from Canada and Mexico, but not from Venezuela it isn't working correctly unlesss you change "The United States" to "United States" and the country id# to something other than 206.

If you don't change those, then foreigners come in at the modern day percentages. Which means Venezulan players show up.

Jersey style logos
Vintage letter logos
Vintage uniforms
Markmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:08 PM   #96
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markmeister View Post
Correct, but the issue is if you want to have players from Canada and Mexico, but not from Venezuela it isn't working correctly unlesss you change "The United States" to "United States" and the country id# to something other than 206.

If you don't change those, then foreigners come in at the modern day percentages. Which means Venezulan players show up.
Gotcha. Hadn't even thought of Canada and Mexico and other countries. I guess Canada should be used to that though.

Last edited by cephasjames; 07-09-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:56 AM   #97
tylertoo
Major Leagues

Last night I took a deep breath, fired up Notepad++ and hunkered down to re-make world_default.xml for my new fictional league. As a complete neophyte to xml, I have to say that I found it very easy to edit in this format, and very easy to conceptualize all of the concepts compared to working with separate, comma-delineated txt files (which I tried in v11). In fact, its easier than I expected on all counts.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:08 AM   #98
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Last night I took a deep breath, fired up Notepad++ and hunkered down to re-make world_default.xml for my new fictional league. As a complete neophyte to xml, I have to say that I found it very easy to edit in this format, and very easy to conceptualize all of the concepts compared to working with separate, comma-delineated txt files (which I tried in v11). In fact, its easier than I expected on all counts.
Did you make a completely new file or edit the one that came with the game ?

See I want to make a totaly fictional league, fictional countries, cities etc and wondering which would be easier A) Make a new file or B) Just edit the original, I'm thinking A.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:23 AM   #99
tylertoo
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukhotstove View Post
Did you make a completely new file or edit the one that came with the game ?

See I want to make a totaly fictional league, fictional countries, cities etc and wondering which would be easier A) Make a new file or B) Just edit the original, I'm thinking A.
I used the one that came with the game (after backing it up of course!), because it was all formatted. I have just one continent in my world, so I deleted all the real world continents but one, and then have been replacing my world with the data for that continent. Notepad++ performs quite nicely on my 5-year old laptop once I deleted much of the real world.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:33 AM   #100
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I used the one that came with the game (after backing it up of course!), because it was all formatted. I have just one continent in my world, so I deleted all the real world continents but one, and then have been replacing my world with the data for that continent. Notepad++ performs quite nicely on my 5-year old laptop once I deleted much of the real world.
Didn't make myself clear, so the world file your using for your league just as the continent in it that you've come up with and you've deleted Africa, Asia etc ?
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote