Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Names and Nations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2010, 02:08 PM   #1
d9rat
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Realistic and Accurate Nations File (nations.txt)

nations - Google Docs

To download:
"File", "Download As", "TXT".

Alternatively you can just paste the info in notepad and save as nations.txt and put it in your OOTP database folder.

I've re-rated the nations based on minor league player information from 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 as well as the last 20 years of major league baseball.

To be a 5 a country must have averaged over 500 MiLB players per year over those years as well as have over 3% of MLB players. Japan and Cuba are let in as their strong domestic leagues make up for lack of MiLB and MLB players.

Countries rated as 5:
Cuba
Dominican Republic
Japan
USA
Venezuela

To be rated as a 4 a country must have over 200 MiLB players total over the 5 years I have data for or have a strong domestic league (South Korea and Taiwan).
Countries rated as 4:
Australia
Canada
Colombia
Mexico
Netherlands Antilles
Panama
Puerto Rico
South Korea
Taiwan

To be rated a 3 a country must have over 15 years worth of MiLB playing time over the years I have data for OR have at least 3 MLB players over the last 20 years.
Countries rated as 3:
Argentina
Aruba
Brazil
Czech Republic
El Salvador
Germany
Haiti
Italy
Jamaica
Netherlands
Nicaragua
South Africa
United Kingdom (England 3, Wales 2, N. Ireland 1, Scotland 1)
US Virgin Islands

To be rated as a 2 a country must have at least 2 years worth of MiLB playing time OR have at least 1 year worth of MiLB playing time, at least one MLB player having played in the MLB, and a national baseball academy (Sweden is the only one that fits with the European academy nearby).
Countries rated as 2:
Belgium
China
Denmark
Ecuador
France
Guam
Guatemala
Honduras
India
Indonesia
New Zealand
Russia
Saudi Arabia
Spain
Sweden
Vietnam

Countries rated as 1 are either IBAF ranked, have had MiLB players during the years of data I have, or have some sort of baseball academy in their country.
Countries rated as 1:
American Samoa
Austria
Bahamas
Belarus
Bulgaria
Cambodia
Cameroon
Costa Rica
Croatia
Fiji
Finland
Georgia
Ghana
Greece
Hungary
Ireland
Israel
Kenya
Latvia
Lesotho
Lithuania
Malaysia
Malta
Myanmar
New Caledonia
Nigeria
North Korea
Norway
Pakistan
Palau
Philippines
Poland
Portugal
Romania
Samoa
San Marino
Serbia
Singapore
Slovakia
Slovenia
Sri Lanka
Switzerland
Thailand
Turkey
Uganda
Ukraine
Zimbabwe

This make player's birth countries more realistic. With only 5 levels it's tough to have it mirror real life but this is certainly an improvement.

Last edited by d9rat; 05-27-2010 at 08:55 PM.
d9rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:14 AM   #2
Malleus Dei
Hall Of Famer

Nice job! Very logical criteria, too.

If you're playing pre-1947 American baseball, then the All-American Mod (a namefiles/ethnicites/nation/cities file pack) is for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by statfreak View Post
MD has disciples.
Malleus Dei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:21 PM   #3
Goody
Hall Of Famer

Good work indeed.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:44 PM   #4
Dr. P.R. Park III
All Star Reserve

While I generally agree with your list, and I can appreciate your objective approach, I feel that constructing the list merely on statistical merit is a bit obtuse...for example, India only meets your criteria by freak occurrence, the players from India represented in MiLB (the Pirates prospects) were discovered on a Freak-Show like "India's Got Talent" show, not by the development of baseball within the country. I think you were a bit harsh for some of the European countries with a domestic league (even if those leagues playing quality is extremely limited)...a majority of European countries listed under "1" have domestic softball and hard-ball developing. They may not be able to challenge within the IBAF or World Cup immediately, but they have made substantial progress over the years. Lastly, I think it's only fair Aruba and the Netherland Antilles maintain the same level, seeing as how Aruba was part of the Antilles until recent history. It's noteworthy to mention that while Brazil baseball is flourishing, a strong majority of Brazilians are of Japanese descent, so I have set my names to be 60% Portuguese 40% Japanese. The Japanese introduced the sport to the country, and there are quite a few Brazilian "Ikusei" (development players in Japan's ***) drafted each year because they have dual-citizenship. Finally, the Tampa Bay Rays announced sometime last year they were going to be building an academy in Brazil, similar to those in the Dominican.
Dr. P.R. Park III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:48 PM   #5
d9rat
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Dr. Park,
Thank you for taking for taking time to outline some criticisms. I will try and explain my reasoning as best I can.

India's high-ranking:
It's true that the two Indian players were discovered on a talent show. It was a show explicitly to find which Indians could throw a baseball the fastest. The winner was signed by the Pirates as well as one of the runners-up. Both of the players played so well in their first year in the minors that they were brought back this year.
Considering India's high-level of cricket I wouldn't be surprised if there were many more bowlers able to turn into pitchers if the given the opportunity, especially after how well Patel and Singh are proving to be. India's overall skill-level could be low but they have produced tangible talent which is the most important thing.

I agree that there should be some separationg within the "1" level (Phillippines should be higher than Nigeria and Nigeria higher than Zimbabwe) and also separation at other levels (Canada and Mexico should be in a different level from Australia, Puerto Rico should be in a different level from Canada and Mexico, Netherlands should be higher than El Salvador.). However, with only 5 levels to choose from some nations had to be grouped in the best group under these limitations. If there were 10 levels I would make many changes but there aren't so I had to make do. It doesn't seem logical to have a country that COULD one day produce MiLB talent in the same group as those who are producing it.

Petition for more talent levels and we can fix the problem.

Aruba separated from the Netherland Antilles almost 25 years ago. That's a long time in terms of baseball development. 25 years ago the DR was producing less than 5% of all MLB players (almost 10% now) while Mexico was producing twice as many players as Canada (they are almost even now) and Panama, Australia, Colombia were producing a negligible amounts of baseball talent. Currently Curacao alone (not the entire Netherland Antilles) produces over twice as many MiLB players as Aruba. That is a big difference in talent. Sometimes some areas just produce more athletes for a particular sport (Just as England and Wales have produced MLB players while Scotland has yet to do so in the entire history of major league baseball even though each of those nations falls under the same baseball federation).

I agree that the name template for Brazil should be changed to include more Japanese names. 4 out of 5 players on the Brazilian national team in 2009 were of Japanese descent (according to a site I read). The Rays are building an academy in Brazil but it's the Yakult Swallows camp that has been producing most of the Brazilian players (It's been in operation for over a decade).

I've also downloaded your world league roster. It's wonderful.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:28 PM   #6
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

This is done well, with a good rationale for your choices. Thanks for sharing it.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:57 PM   #7
Dr. P.R. Park III
All Star Reserve

I didn't realize that Aruba and Netherlands Antilles separated 25 years ago, I thought it was like 5-10, so I was way off. The powerhouse between the two is definitely Curacao, so the Antilles have a bit of an edge. Curacao can claim Andruw Jones while Aruba can claim Sidney Ponson, surely Curacao wins!

Your list is definitely a step in the right direction, and for people with slightly different ideas or opinions, is easily adjustable. Good work.

Dr. P.R. Park III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 06:06 PM   #8
d9rat
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Okay, I did some minor edits based on Park's suggestions.

Brazil now has many more Japanese attributes (as about 1/3 of the Brazilian minor leaguers have a Japanese surname).

Saudia Arabia and Indonesia have also been edited to reflect the fact that most of the players from those countries are the sons of American oil workers.

I hope these changes add to the realism.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:36 PM   #9
Biggio509
Hall Of Famer

I would definitely agree on the KSA (Saudi) call. I played Gulf league back there in the 1980's. That was a league sort of like little league but in a different season. The little league world series team for KSA was chosen from that league and another league. All of the players were US born or children of US oil workers with the exception of maybe a Canadian or 2. I do not recall seeing a single Saudi play. Although there may have been some British kids, I do not remember that though. If so they were small in number. The British workers were fewer and almost never had their families with them. Not sure why about that. I had most Brits were on lower pay grades can't explain that either. All of the players came from the foreign (mainly US) compounds built for workers back then. I doubt it has changed much in that regard.
Biggio509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:27 PM   #10
Cole
Hall Of Famer

I have downloaded this, but I'm unsure how to go about getting this data into my new game and making it applicable for the first player pool in my inaugural draft?

How do I go about doing that?

Thanks.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:21 PM   #11
Biggio509
Hall Of Famer

"Alternatively you can just paste the info in notepad and save as nations.txt and put it in your OOTP database folder."

The link is to a nations.txt file. Just backup your nations.txt in your database folder usually in my documents under OOTPXI. Then replace nations.txt with the file that is linked.
Biggio509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 02:41 AM   #12
Voros McCracken
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Will this work with quick saves. IE, will it go to the edited database at draft time to generate the players, or will it use the original database that the quick save was created with?

The Nationality of the created players is one of the minor irritants I have with the game. Felt like there were too many guys from odd places.

I might adjust the numbers above for my own purposes (specifically Japan and Cuba) but otherwise this is excellent work. Thank you very much.
Voros McCracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:40 PM   #13
Piggy Lid
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. P.R. Park III View Post
I didn't realize that Aruba and Netherlands Antilles separated 25 years ago, I thought it was like 5-10, so I was way off. The powerhouse between the two is definitely Curacao, so the Antilles have a bit of an edge. Curacao can claim Andruw Jones while Aruba can claim Sidney Ponson, surely Curacao wins!

Your list is definitely a step in the right direction, and for people with slightly different ideas or opinions, is easily adjustable. Good work.

One further complication is that, as of last month, the Netherlands Antilles ceased to exist. It was absorbed back into the Netherlands.
See Netherlands Antilles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Break the tape and not look back
To never have considered losing
As if to win is by your choosing
Bare your soul for all to find
An honest heart and an open mind"
Piggy Lid is offline   Reply With Quote