Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 23 > Perfect Team 23
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team 23 Perfect Team 23 - The online revolution! Battle tens of thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 05-07-2022, 02:47 PM   #1
Maddox
All Star Reserve

Is there really any strategy to Perfect Draft Tourneys?

So I have only done 2 so far and, somehow managed to come in second in my most recent.

Looking at the stats trying to figure out what worked here is what I found.

-------
My highest starting pitcher (Roger Clemons 92) had an ERA of 10. Twice knocked out in the 3rd inning, once in the 4th and once in the 5th. 16 IP, 25 HA and 18 ER.

Meanwhile 83 Louis Castillo had an ERA of 4.03. He pitched 22 innings allowed 23 hits and only 10 earned runs.
--------

My Closer 100 rated Wade Davis had an ERA of 10.8 and a WHIP of 2.00 in 5.00 innings

Meanwhile 77 Craig Kimbrel had an ERA of 1.17 and a WHIP of 1.57 in 7.2 innings

----------

99 Chipper jones hit .217 with an OBP of .314

Meanwhile my lowest rated hitter, 71 Tony Cuccinello hit .286 with a .397 OBP

79 John Kruk hit .338 with a .463 OBP
---------

So I guess my question is, since the sample size in the tourneys is always small and there is no telling who might be in a hot or cold streak does it kind of remove some of the strategy of the draft?
Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 05:54 PM   #2
neugey
All Star Reserve

IMO some of the strategy, but certainly not all of it.

PBA - Cincinnati Reds
MLM - Baltimore Orioles
neugey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 12:02 AM   #3
NavalHistorian
Minors (Single A)

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by neugey View Post
IMO some of the strategy, but certainly not all of it.
I've got the same question about PDs. I can't figure them out. What do you mean by "not all of it?"

I think I won a PD tournament once or twice in 22, and I don't recall winning one yet this year.

What's the best way to approach a PD tournament? My strategy (which hasn't worked so far this year) has been to avoid drafting Live cards, draft the best non-Live 100-rated offensive player with my first pick; try to get 1 diamond or at the very least 1 Gold SP. At least 1 Silver SP, and make sure I don't accidentally "block" a Gold/Silver player into a backup spot and end up short changing myself at another position.

Good strategy or no?

Last edited by NavalHistorian; 05-31-2022 at 12:08 AM.
NavalHistorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 01:04 AM   #4
Torgonius
All Star Reserve

PD is all about the RNG favoring you by offering good cards in the right spot. When you don't see a 2nd quality SP until the silver rounds, you might as well stop drafting, because you're out in round 1.

And of course there is always the good time of drafting a 'not totally horrible' backup C, only to see the best one come up next round. Or needing to find some reasonable RPs in the bronze rounds to not get offered any.

I just don't bother with them anymore. Way too random, and too much work in the unlikely event you get to draft a reasonably competent team.
Old 05-31-2022, 02:30 AM   #5
zevus
Minors (Double A)

my personal observation, which may or may not be correct;

seems to be a much higher priority taking pitchers first, since even with the bronze and a few iron cards, you'll find high defense position players (and catchers dont matter so much)

ed: ^^ yeah, it is also harder to make sure you have backups for all positions. i guess in this case, you can just select a crap live card. like dylan moore, he is awesome.

(also prior to bronze/iron round, probably you shouldn't be taking any 'live' cards. there are less than a handful of exceptions. but once you get to bronze, then esp. the relievers from the live cards are better)

ed: niko goodrum, dylan moore, luke williams, harold castro, eli white, charlie culberson, enrique hernandez. maybe others i don't know about. you like to see those cards, if you are lazy. still can't plug them in at catcher though. wtf.

Last edited by zevus; 05-31-2022 at 02:39 AM.
zevus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 09:33 AM   #6
MattieSteals
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I do pretty well in PD tourneys (and I feel like I have to as a F2P) and I have a strict draft strategy that I think helps me out, though who knows really?

But you're right in the sense that small sample size means you're going to get some strange results. I have noticed though that some players always do a bit better and try to draft them when possible. I've found that there are some really good silver batting cards this year, many of which I find are better than most of the current golds (until some of the more recent adds), at least for the PD tourneys.

For example, that Mike Trout silver card is very good every time I take him. Sometimes, I even hold off on taking a different CF (or DH) just in case he comes up. As more cards are added, that'll probably change.
MattieSteals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 10:21 AM   #7
Clavette
Major Leagues

Best player available.
Clavette is offline   Reply With Quote