Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 06-05-2019, 06:09 AM   #1
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Exclamation Important info: eSellerate closes down on June 30.

Hey guys,

there's some news regarding one of our webshops which we have used for many years, eSellerate. This shop system belongs to Digital River and they have decided to shut it down on June 30, so we will no longer be selling the non-Steam version of the game via eSellerate but rather via Fastspring, which has been our trusted partner for Perfect Team sales. The DRM (copy protection) will be handled via Quick License Manager (QLM) of the company Soraco.

If you have bought a version via eSellerate in the past, don't worry, it will NOT stop working! eSellerate will continue to operate the license/unlicense servers for the forseeable future, so you will be able to play the game(s) and move them from one computer to a different one using the unlicense & license procedure from the game settings dialog as usual. The only thing changing is that you will not be able to buy our games from eSellerate anymore starting June 30, but rather via the new shop system which will operate in a pretty similar manner.

If you have questions, let us know!

Cheers,
Markus

Last edited by Markus Heinsohn; 06-05-2019 at 06:14 AM.
Markus Heinsohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:08 AM   #2
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Yes, I have a question, Markus. A few years ago, you introduced a feature whereby the game needed to "phone home" periodically in order to verify its licensed status. How does this change affect that, if at all?

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:18 PM   #3
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Yes, I have a question, Markus. A few years ago, you introduced a feature whereby the game needed to "phone home" periodically in order to verify its licensed status. How does this change affect that, if at all?
I'm not Markus, but I can interpret what he said.

"eSellerate will continue to operate the license/unlicense servers for the forseeable future" means exactly that. At some point, the game may become unplayable, but that's a long way away.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:26 PM   #4
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
And people were worried about Steam for so long
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:48 PM   #5
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
And people were worried about Steam for so long
You said it. The key phrase is "the forseeable future." That could mean weeks, months, years. Nobody can say for sure that it's "a long way away."

So if what I am concerned about is true, and the "board of directors" of Digital River (or their successors) decides in a few weeks, months, or years to shut down the eSellerate system altogether to save costs, then my OOTPB XX will be in the digital trash can.

I would like, and I am asking for, an official response to this query. Even if it's along the lines of "Valid concern, but we just don't know."

- Bru

Old 06-07-2019, 09:56 AM   #6
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

Speaking for myself only I'm in for OOTP XXI so as long as they keep the heart beating on 20 that long. But it is a legit concern. People who buy games like this expect perpetuity. At least on the computer the bought it for. I'd be ticked if my Baldur's Gate game refused to start one day just because Interplay and Black Isle are long gone.
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:26 AM   #7
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You said it. The key phrase is "the forseeable future." That could mean weeks, months, years. Nobody can say for sure that it's "a long way away."

So if what I am concerned about is true, and the "board of directors" of Digital River (or their successors) decides in a few weeks, months, or years to shut down the eSellerate system altogether to save costs, then my OOTPB XX will be in the digital trash can.

I would like, and I am asking for, an official response to this query. Even if it's along the lines of "Valid concern, but we just don't know."
couldn't have said it better.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:47 AM   #8
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Marlin View Post
Speaking for myself only I'm in for OOTP XXI so as long as they keep the heart beating on 20 that long. But it is a legit concern. People who buy games like this expect perpetuity. At least on the computer the bought it for. I'd be ticked if my Baldur's Gate game refused to start one day just because Interplay and Black Isle are long gone.
This is especially timely in that I was considering shutting down the long train of purchasing the game over and over at XX which I find to be fully satisfactory at this point.

Will I be enticed to buy XXI? Probably, poor sap that I am. But I don't like having to be forced into it.

So, how about it? What does "If you have questions, let us know! " mean? There is a question on the floor, gentlemen.

- Bru

Old 06-07-2019, 11:06 AM   #9
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This is especially timely in that I was considering shutting down the long train of purchasing the game over and over at XX which I find to be fully satisfactory at this point.

Will I be enticed to buy XXI? Probably, poor sap that I am. But I don't like having to be forced into it.

So, how about it? What does "If you have questions, let us know! " mean? There is a question on the floor, gentlemen.
Seems like a totally legit question to me but you did just ask it yesterday. What with time differences and I imagine a few other things on his plate over the course of a day, I think a little patience is warranted.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 12:05 PM   #10
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

If that time comes, we'll have to figure out our official policy on stuff like that. But you know us, we always try to do the right thing.

If something happens that e-sellerate stops processing already purchased licenses, then for OOTP20, I'm pretty sure we would find a way to give an alternate license for people who asked, either to the new store or Steam. What we would do for older versions, where we don't have a version that can license in the new store, I can't say exactly.

As mentioned, hopefully that time is a long way off or never, and this is not something to worry about.
Matt Arnold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 12:05 PM   #11
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

If that time comes, we'll have to figure out our official policy on stuff like that. But you know us, we always try to do the right thing.

If something happens that e-sellerate stops processing already purchased licenses, then for OOTP20, I'm pretty sure we would find a way to give an alternate license for people who asked, either to the new store or Steam. What we would do for older versions, where we don't have a version that can license in the new store, I can't say exactly.

As mentioned, hopefully that time is a long way off or never, and this is not something to worry about.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:32 PM   #12
Tyke
All Star Starter

If I purchase OOTPXX from the new "store" after June 30th, will I still be able to migrate my OOTP19 leagues into XX?
Tyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:17 PM   #13
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyke View Post
If I purchase OOTPXX from the new "store" after June 30th, will I still be able to migrate my OOTP19 leagues into XX?
Yes, for sure. This only handles licensing the game, the actual functions don't change depending on how you purchase things.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:38 PM   #14
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post

Fair enough and, based on past experience, it's the kind of answer that I expected from you folks. Please do keep it in mind, if and when the time comes, for at least XX. Although, with this type of customer care in mind, I feel more likely to continue on with OOTPD anyway.

- Bru

Old 06-07-2019, 04:49 PM   #15
Mike D
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post
I'm not Markus, but I can interpret what he said.

"eSellerate will continue to operate the license/unlicense servers for the forseeable future" means exactly that. At some point, the game may become unplayable, but that's a long way away.
As someone who has a game "no longer supported by my OS despite being bought from the company that provides the OS" foreseeable future isn't very reassuring.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:50 PM   #16
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

this may make me a steam user ..... omg say it ain't so.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.

Last edited by mitchkenn; 06-07-2019 at 07:23 PM.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:47 AM   #17
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:

If this is the case then we'll get you a license of the new version of OOTP 20, free of charge. But frankly, I can't see this happening anytime soon, as Digital River would have to deal with a pretty big ****storm.
Markus Heinsohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:58 PM   #18
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
If this is the case then we'll get you a license of the new version of OOTP 20, free of charge. But frankly, I can't see this happening anytime soon, as Digital River would have to deal with a pretty big ****storm.
Can't ask anymore than that. I am quite reassured, thank you.

- Bru

Old 06-13-2019, 09:10 PM   #19
ForeverRoyalKC
All Star Starter

So...since I dont understand computer lingo and, well, this in particular, how would I get OOTP 20 in July? I am HOPING to have a new computer and get '20 next month.
ForeverRoyalKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:53 PM   #20
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoyalKC View Post
So...since I dont understand computer lingo and, well, this in particular, how would I get OOTP 20 in July? I am HOPING to have a new computer and get '20 next month.
Same as always, purchase, download, install, activate license, play.

Nothing will change in that regard.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote