Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Hotfix 21.1.33 - OOTP 21 Available - FHM 6 Available

OOTP Baseball 21 Available Now!

  

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2009, 08:47 PM   #21
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer
 
Déjà Bru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 7,559
Blog Entries: 4
Thanks: 1,638
Thanked 4,098x in 2,325 posts
Now listen, any of you who are Minnesota Twins fans. Will you hold onto these players by paying them what they are worth on the market when the time comes? I'm sick of you guys hating us when players like Mauer and Morneau end up with the Yankees because their former employers like to squeeze a buck.
__________________

- Bru


Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:10 PM   #22
jbergey22
Hall Of Famer
 
jbergey22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,387
Thanks: 251
Thanked 249x in 179 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Now listen, any of you who are Minnesota Twins fans. Will you hold onto these players by paying them what they are worth on the market when the time comes? I'm sick of you guys hating us when players like Mauer and Morneau end up with the Yankees because their former employers like to squeeze a buck.

LOL, I wish I had control over that situation. Id be very surprised if anyone got their hands on Mauer.(the fans would boycott) They gave Morneau an extension a year ago so he is safe for awhile and he is a ways until he is past his prime so the yankees wont want him yet
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 10:29 PM   #23
usry723
Bat Boy
 
usry723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0x in 0 posts
I don't think anyone will ever hit .400 again in our lifetimes. The real question is which catcher would you rather have on your team, Joe Mauer or Brian McCann?
usry723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 10:42 PM   #24
jbergey22
Hall Of Famer
 
jbergey22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,387
Thanks: 251
Thanked 249x in 179 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by usry723 View Post
I don't think anyone will ever hit .400 again in our lifetimes. The real question is which catcher would you rather have on your team, Joe Mauer or Brian McCann?

Id probably go with the gold glover and 2 time batting champ without too many questions
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 10:43 PM   #25
MorseMoose
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,022
Blog Entries: 4
Thanks: 355
Thanked 484x in 295 posts
Infractions: 1/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by usry723 View Post
Joe Mauer or Brian McCann?
Seriously?
MorseMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:20 PM   #26
MorseMoose
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,022
Blog Entries: 4
Thanks: 355
Thanked 484x in 295 posts
Infractions: 1/1 (1)
3/3 today with a 2-run shot. Wow.
MorseMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:42 PM   #27
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer
 
rudel.dietrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Zürich, Switzerland
Posts: 7,300
Thanks: 16
Thanked 1,114x in 636 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by usry723 View Post
The real question is which catcher would you rather have on your team, Joe Mauer or Brian McCann?
Interesting question. And until I looked it up it is much closer than I would have thought. McCann is a year younger and so far more durable but Mauer has the advantage of holding a pretty significant advantage in batting.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:59 AM   #28
jbergey22
Hall Of Famer
 
jbergey22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,387
Thanks: 251
Thanked 249x in 179 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
Interesting question. And until I looked it up it is much closer than I would have thought. McCann is a year younger and so far more durable but Mauer has the advantage of holding a pretty significant advantage in batting.
And 2 gold gloves! A good defensive catcher trumps any other position IMO.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:45 PM   #29
MorseMoose
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,022
Blog Entries: 4
Thanks: 355
Thanked 484x in 295 posts
Infractions: 1/1 (1)
21 plate apperances short; but is currently the batting title leader.
MorseMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:49 PM   #30
MorseMoose
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,022
Blog Entries: 4
Thanks: 355
Thanked 484x in 295 posts
Infractions: 1/1 (1)
Nice showing today...dang he is good.
MorseMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:46 PM   #31
dsvitak
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,477
Thanks: 63
Thanked 135x in 95 posts
If someone DOES hit .400, it may well be someone like Mauer. Minimun plate appearances to qualify, and a TREMENDOUS streak for a 2-3 month period.

George Brett hit .390, Carew hit .388, and Tony Gwynn hit .372 over a four YEAR period, from aged 34 to 37.

In all of the cases above, the league average was less than this current era's.

The game IS a bit different. You have closers and set up men for the late innings...although, to be fair, starters aren't going as deep into games either, so you get some middle relief guys that you wouldn't have seen before.

In our lifetime, someone will hit .400 again. Maybe this year!
dsvitak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:38 PM   #32
MorseMoose
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,022
Blog Entries: 4
Thanks: 355
Thanked 484x in 295 posts
Infractions: 1/1 (1)
Mauer is currently batting .425 a month and a half into the season...that's insane.

His OBP is .495!! Joe Mauer is on base every other at bat! Morneau is doing awesome too.

I'd argue that the Twins have two of the best back-to-back hitters in baseball in Mauer and Morneau.
MorseMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:42 PM   #33
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer
 
rudel.dietrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Zürich, Switzerland
Posts: 7,300
Thanks: 16
Thanked 1,114x in 636 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
And 2 gold gloves! A good defensive catcher trumps any other position IMO.
I would say defense at catcher means less than any other posistion on the diamond.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:47 PM   #34
jbergey22
Hall Of Famer
 
jbergey22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,387
Thanks: 251
Thanked 249x in 179 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
I would say defense at catcher means less than any other posistion on the diamond.

I hope your kidding!

Mike Piazza in his prime was getting stole on 110+ times a year. Joe Mauer between 25-50. Thats atleast 60 extra bases a year not even including passed balls and wild pitches. What other position can have that much impact?

Im not even going to get into to a guy like Varitek who knows how to handle pitchers better than anyone in the game.

Last edited by jbergey22; 06-18-2009 at 04:57 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:43 PM   #35
dsvitak
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,477
Thanks: 63
Thanked 135x in 95 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
I hope your kidding!

Mike Piazza in his prime was getting stole on 110+ times a year. Joe Mauer between 25-50. Thats atleast 60 extra bases a year not even including passed balls and wild pitches. What other position can have that much impact?

Im not even going to get into to a guy like Varitek who knows how to handle pitchers better than anyone in the game.
I am sure Mauer is a decent catcher...but if you want to see a GREAT catcher, check out Yadier Molina's stats this year.
dsvitak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:04 AM   #36
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer
 
rudel.dietrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Zürich, Switzerland
Posts: 7,300
Thanks: 16
Thanked 1,114x in 636 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
I hope your kidding!

Mike Piazza in his prime was getting stole on 110+ times a year. Joe Mauer between 25-50. Thats atleast 60 extra bases a year not even including passed balls and wild pitches. What other position can have that much impact?

Im not even going to get into to a guy like Varitek who knows how to handle pitchers better than anyone in the game.
I would take Mike Piazza in his prime over any catcher in history. He was an offensive force made even better by offensve standards at his posistion.

And there is zero statistical evidence about a catchers ability to 'call' a game having any effect at all on a teams ability to prevent runs.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:43 AM   #37
molarmite
Hall Of Famer
 
molarmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,864
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 49
Thanked 83x in 55 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
And there is zero statistical evidence about a catchers ability to 'call' a game having any effect at all on a teams ability to prevent runs.
I don't have exact stats but I'm sure a fellow Twins fan can help me out. The Twins pitching staff especially the starting rotation was terrible in April but since Mauer has returned, they've gotten much better.
__________________
From the wise mind of Davey Eckstein

"Now all you need is a signature. A quote or initial, perhaps."


[
molarmite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:43 AM   #38
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer
 
rudel.dietrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Zürich, Switzerland
Posts: 7,300
Thanks: 16
Thanked 1,114x in 636 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by molarmite View Post
I don't have exact stats but I'm sure a fellow Twins fan can help me out. The Twins pitching staff especially the starting rotation was terrible in April but since Mauer has returned, they've gotten much better.
The team at BP looked at mountains of data from thousands of teams from dozens of years and found no data at all to support the notion that a catcher can prevent runs through 'game calling'.

So either we do not know as yet how to look for it or there is no such ability.

I am leaning towards it is just another bucket of old time baseball rubbish.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:28 AM   #39
jbergey22
Hall Of Famer
 
jbergey22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,387
Thanks: 251
Thanked 249x in 179 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
The team at BP looked at mountains of data from thousands of teams from dozens of years and found no data at all to support the notion that a catcher can prevent runs through 'game calling'.

So either we do not know as yet how to look for it or there is no such ability.

I am leaning towards it is just another bucket of old time baseball rubbish.

So in other words youve never played baseball at a competive level.

Which really wasnt the point in the first place it was the extra bases Piazza gives up because he couldnt throw out a dead duck trying to steal a base. You can have Piazza and his abililty to hit like no catcher in history Ill take Mauer and his ability to win batting titles and gold gloves.

If you cant tell by watching a game that Varitek is crucial towards the Red Sox success there is nothing I can say to prove it. Stats cant prove anything when one catcher catches 85% of the games. There will always be the case size excuse.

Last edited by jbergey22; 06-19-2009 at 03:33 AM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:36 AM   #40
jbergey22
Hall Of Famer
 
jbergey22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,387
Thanks: 251
Thanked 249x in 179 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by molarmite View Post
I don't have exact stats but I'm sure a fellow Twins fan can help me out. The Twins pitching staff especially the starting rotation was terrible in April but since Mauer has returned, they've gotten much better.

You are right but we cant win an argument based on stats because he will use the sample size excuse. I am pretty sure the 99.9% of baseball people know that the catcher isnt the least important defensive position on the field so this argument really isnt worth the time.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
.400, baseball, joe mauer, mlb, stats, twins

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:13 PM.

 

Major League and Minor League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with permission of Major League Baseball. Visit MLB.com and MiLB.com.

Officially Licensed Product – MLB Players, Inc.

Out of the Park Baseball is a registered trademark of Out of the Park Developments GmbH & Co. KG

Google Play is a trademark of Google Inc.

Apple, iPhone, iPod touch and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.

COPYRIGHT © 2020 OUT OF THE PARK DEVELOPMENTS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2020 Out of the Park Developments