Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 06-21-2008, 03:08 AM   #21
KevinTMC
Minors (Single A)

I've got the same issue on both the Windows XP machines I'm using; in both cases the OOTP window is set to 1152x864.
KevinTMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 09:47 AM   #22
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTMC View Post
One suggestion I have would be to devote significant space in the manual to the ABA quickstart.

As I understand it, a major reason behind having this nicely-developed out-of-the-box playing mode was to provide an easier point of entry for more novice players. (Which I still kinda consider myself to be, even though OOTP 9 is my third purchase in the series, going back to the "Season Ticket Baseball" days. There's just so much here!) There should be a friendly introduction to the quickstart that is written with this in mind, covering, for instance:

* Some notes on how the quickstart was designed
* Suggestions on how to start playing the quickstart (setting up the human manager, deciding what role to assume with what team, etc.)
* Notes on the features that have been turned on, or turned off, by default

Really, anything that reduces the "cool...but gosh, what do I do now?" effect--at each point along the way, from the first time the game is launched, to the point where a newbie starts to feel a little comfortable and more than a little hooked--would be a big help I think.
Why was it designed?

I put this together after the concept of having a totally modded league file was batted around in the OOTP 2007 Beta process. It was not acted upon then, as we had bigger fish to fry. The idea was one of about 500 topics for discussion when a group on OOTP players gathered in suburban Philadelphia one evening with battists and Andreas Raht. The idea was floated again during this beta, too.

No one really picked the ball up on this one or was assigned the task. I just told battists that I was going to do it, and went and did it.

I had the idea of creating a league with all uniforms and logos custom made, but in a way that would allow them to be shipped with the game itself. This meant fairly generic logos. I also had the idea of adding a bunch of board members into the file as players.

About 30-45 minutes after deciding to do this, I had a poll up about the issue, to determine some of the factors. The league size was set at 16 teams, and 3 levels of minors, because I did not want to go the modders and ask for 128 sets of uniforms. The public was given a sketch of the idea, and they voted on the league name and the cities.

I picked the team names to speed things up to get information to the modders ASAP. Justafan and No Pepper came up with some wonderful stuff for the uniforms, logos, and then Sitting Duck helped rename the files to add team and text colors to the file without me having to manually key in those factors.

I think the graphics for the ABA are top notch, despite me crippling their creativity with the specification that no pre-existing copyrighted material could be used. I made it extra hard on the modders. They really came through.

Team names were selected by my whim in the majors after asking board members for suggestions. Several were used. I really like the pun used for the Detroit Bears, as Motown is home to the real-world Lions and Tigers. The GHL names were picked by reading information about each Canadian city on wikipedia, and on the city website operated by the various governments. The
Texas team names were offered up by Texan members of the boards. The Southern California league set up was extremely heavily based on a suggestion by The Wolf. I changed that just slightly after making a Google Map of his suggestion, and I was not happy about the way some stuff bunched up.

Southern California League map on Google.

South Texas League on Google.

Golden Horseshoe League on Google.

If you zoom in on each one of these locations to the street level, you'll see where each team plays its home games. I used Google maps to help me place the teams into different leagues based on geography.

ABA serves a couple of masters. One of the reasons behind the set was to show off the features of the game for use in screenshots and manuals. You saw that towards the end with some of the pictures that Markus posted. When Markus uses some of the real-world graphics mods for screenshots, it's dancing on thin ice with MLB. When Markus uses the default generic graphics and colors that the game uses for screenshots, it really is not putting the best foot forward for the game. The same thing applies for the manual. I hope to see some of the graphics in the manual be generated by using the ABA.

The public chose 1961 as the date for the game start. I always assumed that the game would start in 1961, then I would sim it 10 years to build history, then I'd zip it up to be shipped in OOTP 9. Then, someone (Moorsemoose, I think) asked a brilliant question to see if the quickstart would start in 1951, sim 10 years, and start in 1961, or start in 1961, sim 10 seasons, then ship in the year 1971. I polled that too, and the 1951 start was selected.

The ABA starts with 1951 real world finances and stat values, and will update itself using MLB data. That means that people that start in 1961 will start to see their offensive totals go into the tank.

Hidden players are on. I like that feature.

Free agency is off. Free agency should be turned on in 20 years or so.

There's no expansion. You have to do that manually.

Ghost players are on. I don't like managing a bunch of future used car salesmen in A ball.

I renamed all of the stadiums in the file, and made sure that all of those stadiums with retractable roofs, domes, and astroturf (except one...you'll have to find it, and baseball history fans should have a good laugh about it) at all levels. I also modified the capacity of each stadium, making them smaller.

Ratings were set at 1-100, because I wanted to.

I am sure there's more...
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 02:18 AM   #23
battists
Hall Of Famer

The scouting portion of the manual has been substantially updated.

Please let me know if I missed anything. There's one or two things I also want to add, but I'm waiting for some confirmations of things from "the man."
battists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:02 AM   #24
KevinTMC
Minors (Single A)

That's some great information, Raidergoo. Thank you--and thanks for doing such a great job on the ABA. I like the attention to detail, the pleasing graphics, and the believable settings. It's good enough that I don't feel compelled to start from scratch and create my own league right away, but rather can just jump in and enjoy.

And that's a big thing. The quickstarts in last year's game didn't appeal to me, so I decided to come up with my own creation instead--only I got bogged down, not having the time and the expertise to get it done according to my own exacting standards. Thank you for saving me from that fate this year.

Unlike you, I do enjoy the perverse pleasures of managing future used-car salesmen in A ball, so when I started up the ABA, I accepted the computer's offer to take the helm at Santa Ana, and turned off ghost players. The head office didn't send me enough starting pitching, but I oughtn't complain...the first opponent on my schedule had a ton of pitching, but only two catchers and a second baseman for position players. I won the first game (with a walk-off double in the 11th) thanks in large part to two errors committed by the middle reliever they pressed into service as shortstop. What fun!

Last edited by KevinTMC; 06-22-2008 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:03 PM   #25
battists
Hall Of Famer

The player trade section of the manual has been updated.

Still banging away!
Old 06-23-2008, 12:29 PM   #26
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

I have to say, now that I've been using it a while, the online manual is pretty cool. Especially for the restoration of hyperlinked topics. The search function also works well. If it means those can be provided and the manual itself can be easily updated this way, then I'm for it.

I do share the concerns of those who would like a PDF copy, however, in that sometime in the future when I need help, the web site could be down, or gone. My solution to that will be to make PDF copies of the new topics and other online screens that vary substantially from the OOTP 2007/8 manual and add them to the end of that, sort of like an addendum.
1998 Yankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:50 PM   #27
ootp3to6
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by battists View Post
The player trade section of the manual has been updated.

Still banging away!
Thanks for the update.
ootp3to6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:51 PM   #28
ootp3to6
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998 Yankees View Post
I have to say, now that I've been using it a while, the online manual is pretty cool. Especially for the restoration of hyperlinked topics. The search function also works well. If it means those can be provided and the manual itself can be easily updated this way, then I'm for it.

I do share the concerns of those who would like a PDF copy, however, in that sometime in the future when I need help, the web site could be down, or gone. My solution to that will be to make PDF copies of the new topics and other online screens that vary substantially from the OOTP 2007/8 manual and add them to the end of that, sort of like an addendum.
Sounds like a good plan to me.
ootp3to6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:13 PM   #29
Curtis
Hall Of Famer

Steve, do you still have the 'How to play out a game' section on your to do list? Last night I was having problems trying to manage a spring training game, and there were some errors in that section of the manual, so I assume it hasn't been updated from version 8 yet.

First of all, the graphic you have with the arrow pointing to the 'play next game' line on the manager home page is very neat, but (at least in spring training, at least in the Mac version) no such 'play next game' line appears on my manager's home page.

Second, I was following the hyperlinks, trying to learn how to manage a game in version 9, when I came to a busted link. Confusingly, the game then asked me to add my own link to the 'not found' page. Since I have no idea how to hyperlink anything, I declined. I also never found the information I needed.

I find this whole hyperlink thing confusing. I would much rather be able to read through a manual page by page than to HAVE TO change pages by clicking on a hyperlink. Having the option to jump around can be very cool when you know exactly what you're looking for, but when you're kind of searching hopelessly (as I often do), you have no idea whether you've covered all of the ways off the page you started with. Then, the link takes you to multiple other links, some of which cross over, and you just have no idea whether or not you've missed something.

Oh, and what if what you want is on the other side of a busted link? Pages, please.
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:28 PM   #30
KevinTMC
Minors (Single A)

A search function would also be very nice. For instance, I was leafing through the manual yesterday trying to find if there was any more information on bookmarks, but after ten minutes of frustration still couldn't find it (if it's there).
Old 06-23-2008, 04:32 PM   #31
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
A search function would also be very nice. For instance, I was leafing through the manual yesterday trying to find if there was any more information on bookmarks, but after ten minutes of frustration still couldn't find it (if it's there).
Attached Images
Image Image 

Last edited by 1998 Yankees; 06-23-2008 at 04:34 PM.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:48 PM   #32
KevinTMC
Minors (Single A)

Oh. So the manual website does have a search function. Good! That will make it much more helpful to me.

I guess I was completely overlooking the "open the online version in your browser" link from the in-game help--which lacks a search. (I kept clicking "Open in External Browser", but of course that just re-opened the same page from the local in-game help file.)
Old 06-23-2008, 05:13 PM   #33
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Oh. So the manual website does have a search function. Good! That will make it much more helpful to me.

I guess I was completely overlooking the "open the online version in your browser" link from the in-game help--which lacks a search. (I kept clicking "Open in External Browser", but of course that just re-opened the same page from the local in-game help file.)
Believe me, Search was the first thing I looked for when I found out about the change, followed by hyperlinks. Thanks for reminding me about that in-game capability for accessing the manual; I've been going the long way around.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:01 AM   #34
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
Steve, do you still have the 'How to play out a game' section on your to do list?....
Yeah, unfortunately, it's all on my list, hence the OP.

The Play This Game link only appears for Regular Season/Postseason games, unfortunately. (Something I've been begging Markus to fix, but he hasn't gotten around to it yet.)

I'm sorry that you're running into that kind of stuff. Now that the patch is out I will continue trying to fix those things.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:15 AM   #35
Curtis
Hall Of Famer

Steve, it's all good. I'm off to add some Spring Training suggestions to the OotPB10 wish list.
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:08 PM   #36
dzanr
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Steve -

Is there a proscribed procedure for reporting Manual typos, missing/misspelled words, etc? Of should we keep them to ourselves?

DZ
dzanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:16 PM   #37
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
Steve, it's all good. I'm off to add some Spring Training suggestions to the OotPB10 wish list.
Ooh, I'll follow you, I have some of my own!
Old 06-24-2008, 10:16 PM   #38
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzanr View Post
Steve -

Is there a proscribed procedure for reporting Manual typos, missing/misspelled words, etc? Of should we keep them to ourselves?

DZ
Here is fine. At the end of the URL for each page in the manual is a page name (page=scouting or some such). It would help if you let me know the page name where you saw the problem...

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2008, 10:59 PM   #39
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Did somebody already mention that page=in_game_reports still talks about SION?

Also, "Link Bar" on page=history_reports is itself a broken link.

I'll post more as I see them. They are going to look random, because I'm just looking at sections here and there, not reading from top to bottom.

Last edited by 1998 Yankees; 06-24-2008 at 11:05 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:28 PM   #40
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998 Yankees View Post
Did somebody already mention that page=in_game_reports still talks about SION?

Also, "Link Bar" on page=history_reports is itself a broken link.

I'll post more as I see them. They are going to look random, because I'm just looking at sections here and there, not reading from top to bottom.
Much appreciated! Don't bother posting anything else in the in-game reports section, though. I've deliberately left that for last, because they haven't changed much, other than cosmetically!