Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - In-Game Text and PbP Commentary

Old 05-09-2014, 05:54 PM   #1
gbwitheyes
Minors (Triple A)

details on the in-game text file

I have searched everywhere for details on the in-game text file [english.xml].

While the OOTP User Manual provides some general comments, it does not include specifics, nor is there a link to the Excel file that it references. My hope is that one or both of these would allow me to proceed.

Does anyone have any information that might help me move forward?

Thanks.
gbwitheyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:59 PM   #2
endgame
Hall Of Famer

I'm not clear on what you're proceeding toward? What are you up to?
Old 05-09-2014, 06:45 PM   #3
gbwitheyes
Minors (Triple A)

I want to add to the existing responses that are presently available within OOTP 15.

Before I can do that I need to know what the various categories are, along with the associated object IDs. Are there ranges of OBJ ID numbers reserved for a specific CAT ID?

For example, CAT ID 128 has associated with it OBJ IDs starting at 1914, ending with 5010. Within that range there are numerous gaps of OBJ ID numbers.

Is there a range of numbers reserved for someone performing customizations? Such as OBJ IDs over 50000 are reserved for individual customization.

Is there an application or a Microsoft Excel sheet that can be used for customization?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:01 PM   #4
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Since I'm familiar with the text database, I'll try to answer some of your questions. Text objects have been added to different categories in no particular order. Sometimes, text objects will be deleted. So, it's not uncommon to see "gaps" in ID number ranges. No OBJ IDs have been reserved for individual customization. Once a text object is added to the master database, it receives the next ID available (as far as I know). So, if you added your own text objects to the file, these would be overwritten when OOTP releases a new patch. If you have suggestions, you could include them in a PM to me. I'll do what I can to add them to the database. Otherwise, it's a lot of pain with little gain to customize the file yourself.
pstrickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:28 PM   #5
gbwitheyes
Minors (Triple A)

While I understand your comments, I'm confused when placed against the OOTP Online Manual.

There is a full section within the OOTP Online Manual titled Customizing OOTP. Within that is a section titled In-Game Text. There the basic structure of the english.xml file is addressed.

What I'm looking for is the Excel file that is referenced in this part of the manual.

I can handle any update that will occur to the english.xml file as part of releases of OOTP. After all, it is just XML. All I need to do is load my modifications after each release. A wee bit of code will take care of that.

All I am asking for is the CAT ID number descriptions.

Thanks
Old 05-09-2014, 07:42 PM   #6
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

I don't know about the Excel file. But I'll attach a list of the categories and their IDs. I hope this helps.

Last edited by pstrickert; 05-09-2014 at 08:56 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:30 PM   #7
gbwitheyes
Minors (Triple A)

Thank you much. I appreciate the help.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:32 PM   #8
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Sorry for the necropost here, but did we ever get a list of what all the category IDs and condition IDs pertained to? I imagine I could figure this out if I went through the file and made some deductions but I don't want to go to all that effort if someone else has already done so.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 10:16 PM   #9
fredbeene
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbwitheyes View Post
While I understand your comments, I'm confused when placed against the OOTP Online Manual.

There is a full section within the OOTP Online Manual titled Customizing OOTP. Within that is a section titled In-Game Text. There the basic structure of the english.xml file is addressed.

What I'm looking for is the Excel file that is referenced in this part of the manual.

I can handle any update that will occur to the english.xml file as part of releases of OOTP. After all, it is just XML. All I need to do is load my modifications after each release. A wee bit of code will take care of that.

All I am asking for is the CAT ID number descriptions.

Thanks

I have asked OOTPB many times about the excel file that THEY mention in their sparse online manual.
Never get a response.
I don't know how you can write effective XML without the categories that drive it all.

But hey you have 90s bad animation instead! enjoy
fredbeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 10:18 PM   #10
fredbeene
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Thrift View Post
Sorry for the necropost here, but did we ever get a list of what all the category IDs and condition IDs pertained to? I imagine I could figure this out if I went through the file and made some deductions but I don't want to go to all that effort if someone else has already done so.
Nope. Everyone SHRUGS like they have no idea what pbp is.

OOTP site has nothing and does not respond.
Years and years peoplpe have made mods and contributed.
OOTP can't and wont deliver stickes with the most common question and requests that have already been created

Be prepared to spend HOURS sifting through messages boards and not finding what you are looking for
fredbeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 10:45 PM   #11
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

I'll PM Matt to see if it's okay to share a file with this info.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:07 PM   #12
FoxRaider
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Checking in on this ... Update?
FoxRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:16 PM   #13
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=298110
Old 01-26-2024, 11:18 PM   #14
ChrisHanel
Bat Boy

Apologies for necro-bumping this thread, but I came here looking for the Excel sheet mentioned in the manual but without a working link. Is there a copy to be found somewhere? The link in the previous post is dead.

EDIT: Okay, Google took me here and completely ignored the very nice sticky post that was made, so I'm editing this to link to where you DO need to go in case someone else arrives here by mistake.

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=298110

Last edited by ChrisHanel; 01-26-2024 at 11:28 PM.
ChrisHanel is offline   Reply With Quote