Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-19-2020, 05:44 PM   #1
ALB123
All Star Reserve

Player & Team Strategies

Do most of you OOTP Mangers/General Managers tinker with the Team Strategy or Player Strategy settings? If so, do you customize your entire MLB Active Roster? Or do you prefer to set an overall Team Strategy for everyone on your team to follow? I'm beginning to think about adjusting the MLB individual Team Strategy...I think I might be able to pull off a couple of extra wins due to a more aggressive strategy when games are tied in the 9th. Hopefully.

Does anyone have any ideas they wouldn't mind sharing? You don't have to give exact settings if you'd like to keep your recipes a secret, but some general philosophies would be appreciated.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:30 PM   #2
CBeisbol
Banned

I look for a manager who broadly shares my philosophy.

Then I make some tweeks (under the guise of: having conversations with them) to the general team settings.

The only player settings I really mess with are base running strategies. I usually go for OBP and power heavy lineups (playing the current era) that deemphasize base stealing. But, I'll nudge up the base stealing tendencies of elite base stealers.

I'll also curb the aggressiveness of anyone who is a poor base runner and increase the good base runners.

Last edited by CBeisbol; 03-20-2020 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Tweeks, not tweets
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 11:28 AM   #3
ALB123
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
I look for a manager who broadly shares my philosophy.

Then I make some tweets (under the guise of: having conversations with them) to the general team settings.

The only player settings I really mess with are base running strategies. I usually go for OBP and power heavy lineups (playing the current era) that deemphasize base stealing. But, I'll nudge up the base stealing tendencies of elite base stealers.

I'll also curb the aggressiveness of anyone who is a poor base runner and increase the good base runners.
Thank you. You've given me a few things to think about. When I started my GM career in OOTP 20, I didn't put all that much thought into picking Staff, I didn't have a game plan at all.

I've given my speedsters a nice bump with Stealing and Base Running. I'm certain I could make it much, much better if I put the time into it. What I really want to do is make a slightly different Team Strategy depending on the inning and score. It wouldn't be drastic - that's what I believe Player Strategies are for, but I have no doubt making proper strategy adjustments will be beneficial to a team's win total.

I'm always looking for suggestions, hints & tips...
Old 03-20-2020, 10:56 PM   #4
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

If you play games out and make personnell moves, not much of this matters.

If you simulate, yes, it *can* improve your probability of wins (or reduce), if you make choices that have a positive effect.

e.g. if a guy historically steals at ~50%, you increase your RS-potential by reducing his stealing to zero. it's a mathematical certainty at 50% in nearly all rational contexts, i bet..

other things are not so confident on exact results. this will translate from RL to the video game almost certainly and in most league configurations resembling modern play.

the scout preference still matters, of course. that impacts what you see. it further warps scouting info, artificially. the underlying rating doesn't warrant what you see for reasons that have very weak correlation. it is for the AI to add flavor to their decisions. you should choose a neutral scout in all but situations where ability is drastically worse than a different option.

i make a mine-me coach.

i tailor all strategy sliders - players, mini-me-coach and asst. GM, just in case. if the ai is going to force something on me, it will be at least skewed to my desires. it's my organization, lol. i don't play a sports game to have a pretend boss. that's ridiculous.

Player strategies are relative to overall coaching strategys.. .so a super aggressive player X super aggressive coach should steal more than a different mix of those two.

Also, don't fear what this might do in a hyperbolic context. (of course, too much or too little can be a problem and reduce % of winning, ignoring that bit for a moment)

e.g. if you zero out sacrificing all over the place and you only need 1 run in the 9th with a guy on 3b and no outs etc etc.. it's gonna bunt with all but the horrible bunters, just as it would in real life most of the time. (if that's not an extreme enough context, then add what makes you feel good, lol, general concept will work out this way)

If a situation almost mandates something, you can expect that to happen even with reduced strategy sliders.

other coaches don't make decisions, so more concerend about their unseen ratings, which do matter. a small amount. i think the Asst GM would use scout info for players drafted, not the scout picking players? so i don't worry about the scouts player preferences outside of "ability" or "tools"

i prefer neutral, but if the best skilled scout favors one or the other and not just negligibly better, i will still take them. i'll look at draft lists with a skew, though.. whatever he doesn't favor, i will make a filter to find players that might be lost in that warping of ratings. an extra step and effort i care not to engage in for too long.

that guy will be fired and replaced ASAP, lol.

Guesstimates:

i am failry conservative overall coaching strategy.. i'll use SB as an example, it's either even or +/- 1, but let's assume it's even.

if i have a speedster with elite stealing ability, i max that aggressiveness.

in general i match the stealing ability (not speed) to aggressiveness... match the color code.

the moment i have a player not exceed what i consider a breakeven point for stealing , i zero them out. i will try to slowly reduce, first, to see if that helps.

again, speed doesn't matter for aggressiveness. speed impacts # of stolen base attempts. so, take a zero speed guy with max stealing ability, and at least go beyond 1/2 scale aggressiveness (i'll start up near max even with a plodder)... you'll find he may steal 1 to 10 bases a year at ~75% or more even with zero speed. that's a benefit, but won't be noticeable. but, you do that with enough things, and it really does matter.

i think the greatest gains from player strategies are avoiding the overtly stupid decisions.. lol.

Last edited by NoOne; 03-20-2020 at 11:01 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 02:41 PM   #5
ALB123
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
If you play games out and make personnell moves, not much of this matters.

If you simulate, yes, it *can* improve your probability of wins (or reduce), if you make choices that have a positive effect.
Thanks for the wealth of information, @NoOne. I sim every game, I invest so much time managing lineups & depth charts for my '84 Yanks and their six farm clubs. I make so many dumb mistakes...it seems like I'm always trying to put out major fires on my AA and lower clubs.

I know that nothing is absolutely perfect, but I treat OOTP as if it were and therefore I don't do anything on OOTP that I wouldn't do in real life. In hindsight, I probably would have been better off only taking care of 1 team, not seven like I do now, for a full season or two. That would have been so I didn't get so overwhelmed with the insane amount of things a GM & Manager must keep track of.

Like you mentioned, the most important thing is to avoid stupid decisions at all costs. I've made some really stupid moves and I learned the hard way that such things can have a terrible effect on the systems below my MLB squad. I've burned out 4 & 4+ star prospects pushing them too hard and that's kind of why I'm interested in customizing individual player strategies.

To close, I try my best to be a sponge when I read these OOTP forums. Every day I'm learning something. There are some things I still have absolutely no idea how to do (Amature Draft) properly. During my first two seasons, I let my Assistant GM control our draft and we ended up with a few young hotshots that have done quite well so far. This past season, I took over and controlled our draft. I ended up signing zero draftees. LOL Yeah...it was awful. LOL

I will keep soaking up everything I can. Again, thank you for your perspective and thoughts on adjusting individual player strategies.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:59 PM   #6
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALB123 View Post
This past season, I took over and controlled our draft. I ended up signing zero draftees. LOL Yeah...it was awful. LOL
Mistakes are opportunities to learn

Why you unable to sign anyone?
Old 03-21-2020, 07:30 PM   #7
ALB123
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Why you unable to sign anyone?
Beats me. I can tell you one thing, I didn't understand the process at all. Before this year's draft, I will have my OOTP manual open to the pages about Drafting.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:00 PM   #8
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Beats me. I can tell you one thing, I didn't understand the process at all. Before this year's draft, I will have my OOTP manual open to the pages about Drafting.
Was it their signability?

Each draftee has a signability rating for your team.

I don't remember the exact designations, but someyhing like "impossible, difficult, slot, easy"

The impossible guys usually want to go to college. So you have to offer them a huge bonus. They say something like "it will take significantly more than $4,000,000 to sign this player".

If you draft a bunch of those guys you probably won't sign them.
First, you don't have enough draft pool to sign more than one (maybe two). But then you have to sign a bunch of easy players who don't require much of a bonus.

Then theres the "difficult" guys. Similar situation. You may have to offer over slot, which, means, you have less money to offer the rest of your draftees.

There is at least one YouTube tutorial on drafting (the one I'm thinking of covers most of the game, it's pretty good) that you might find helpful

I think it's this one
https://youtu.be/OxwANT14GzE
Old 03-21-2020, 09:41 PM   #9
ALB123
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Was it their signability?

There is at least one YouTube tutorial on drafting (the one I'm thinking of covers most of the game, it's pretty good) that you might find helpful

I think it's this one
https://youtu.be/OxwANT14GzE
To be honest, I can't remember exactly what I did (or didn't do), but it was the whole way that the process works that had my head spinning. I remember seeing a list of all the guys I drafted. The first 3 or 4 guys, which should indicate better talent than later rounds, either didn't show a dollar amount...I think I kept hitting Slot which I don't even know what that means...My late picks all had these 6 figures requirements or whatever...I was giving in to their demands, I thought. I'm sorry, I'm probably not making any sense - I was that out of my element. I'm sure, once I watch that video and read through the online manual, I'll have no trouble whatsoever.

It was actually pretty funny. It was some time after finishing the Draft and I received a bunch of mail regarding my draftees. One after another was like, "Nope...", "Nope...", "Nope..." and so on.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:58 PM   #10
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks for the wealth of information, @NoOne. I sim every game, I invest so much time managing lineups & depth charts for my '84 Yanks and their six farm clubs. I make so many dumb mistakes...it seems like I'm always trying to put out major fires on my AA and lower clubs.

I know that nothing is absolutely perfect, but I treat OOTP as if it were and therefore I don't do anything on OOTP that I wouldn't do in real life. In hindsight, I probably would have been better off only taking care of 1 team, not seven like I do now, for a full season or two. That would have been so I didn't get so overwhelmed with the insane amount of things a GM & Manager must keep track of.

Like you mentioned, the most important thing is to avoid stupid decisions at all costs. I've made some really stupid moves and I learned the hard way that such things can have a terrible effect on the systems below my MLB squad. I've burned out 4 & 4+ star prospects pushing them too hard and that's kind of why I'm interested in customizing individual player strategies.

To close, I try my best to be a sponge when I read these OOTP forums. Every day I'm learning something. There are some things I still have absolutely no idea how to do (Amature Draft) properly. During my first two seasons, I let my Assistant GM control our draft and we ended up with a few young hotshots that have done quite well so far. This past season, I took over and controlled our draft. I ended up signing zero draftees. LOL Yeah...it was awful. LOL

I will keep soaking up everything I can. Again, thank you for your perspective and thoughts on adjusting individual player strategies.
Well, you are going to learn 7x faster how to maintain a club over time... try slightly different variations of your existing strategies.. with at least a couple teams.

SP, SP ,SP... rounds 1-3... mix in a power-bat when opportunity arises. you simply can't find many pitchers with 3 pitch-types after rd3-5 depending on the pool -- and size of league. smaller ML = less of a draft pool, runs out sooner even if proportional

Trade what you don't use. A successful mil system is worthless if it doesn't fill out your MLB team consistently -- at least with enough homegrown talent to keep payroll down over time. got 10 sp that might make it in the MLB.. Why? that's fine if they were best available when you made a draft selection, but having 10 doesn't help you at all. maybe 2 or 3 will be used? you'll want more than you need, but not neccessarily at AAA, when you are 90% sure of what they will develope into.

as i am more certain, i trade away excess. redundancies are needed, but at younger ages. by the time they hit AA i am making decisions that impact 5-10 years from then.

---

about the draft picks.. you picked them, but didn't sign them to contracts. you have to negotiate with them like a normal contract, unless you turn that option off -- then it's just auto added to mil.

you can delegate this in your manager office options, but if you don't they simply won't be signed.

Last edited by NoOne; 04-07-2020 at 09:00 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote