Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2006, 10:20 AM   #1
teamjesus316
Bat Boy

Historical Sim Question

I am trying to create a historical sim starting in 1901 but I have a few questions maybe someone can answer for me:

1. Does the game automatically update the historical stats to keep it as real as possible?
2. Does anyone know any utilities that can track hitting streaks or other streaks?
3. Does anyone have a database that has the negro league players making their debuts when they made their debuts in the negro leagues (ex: I want Satchell Paige to start when he is like 18-22 not wait till he was like 40 to make his Major League debut).

I also want to make some fictional players (since I cant have the historical league without fictional players, I might as well make some that I want). Anyone have any suggestions for players to make and when to have them debut? ex. Roy Hobbes, Benny "The Jet" Rodriguez, etc. Also what kind of ratings should I give these guys. Any help would be appreciated.
teamjesus316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 01:53 PM   #2
Kelric
Hall Of Famer

1. The game can track overall league stats if you'd like so you'll get similar numbers of say, homeruns, in 1920 as were really hit in MLB. But Babe Ruth might not even be in your league that year due to injury, or he may only hit 30 (in real life he hit 54) that season. Individual player performances do not follow their real historical stats - it's up to the ratings they have in the game how well they do.

2. The game used to track things like this, at least for hitting streaks and consecutive games with a HR or RBI or whatnot. I haven't really played much with the new version, so I can't tell you if it still does.

3. The Arod/Garlan database inserts some Negro League guys at the beginning of their careers. In the test sim I'm running right now, Satchel Paige is the best pitcher in MLB history. He was 21 when he debuted and played in MLB for only 11 seasons (went on to play 9 more years in other fictional leagues I have in my sim) but he amassed a 1339.4 VORP with a 298-120 record and a career 2.29 ERA in 4029 IP.

4. You can have the historical league without fictional players.
Kelric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 05:38 PM   #3
teamjesus316
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelric
4. You can have the historical league without fictional players.
How??
Old 08-08-2006, 06:30 PM   #4
plannine
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamjesus316
How??

By not creating any.

You can create any additional players you want. I use the Arod DB but have added Victor Starffin to the draft. (Ive also added a couple of extra negro leaguers)
Old 08-08-2006, 07:02 PM   #5
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

Just don't run any minor leagues and use either the Lahman database or one like Arod/Garlon. Then you will not have fictional players in your universe. Unfortunately, there will be no minor leagues, and you can't have the rule 5 draft or the usual 40-man rosters, but every team has a reserve roster of up to 200 players. That's how they can 'demote' and 'promote' players from the minors without actually having active minor leagues.
Charlie Hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 07:26 AM   #6
teamjesus316
Bat Boy

Will players I draft still develop in the same way?
Old 08-10-2006, 07:20 PM   #7
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

Yes, they will. The only way they won't develop normally is if they get stuck on reserve for several years without playing in the majors. That seems to slow down and sometimes prevent development. But I think the same thing can happen with minors turned on, if players never get a chance to come up to the majors and take the final step in their progression.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:34 PM   #8
Assos
All Star Starter

Agreed CH. I have run a couple of seasons with the same rosters and seeing that if a player does not hit the majors, he becomes just average. I had Gaylord Perry sit on the reserve for a couple of years and he was not the Perry we all know.
Assos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 12:18 PM   #9
Comedian2004
Hall Of Famer

AUSTREAK to the rescue.

www.planetootp.com

Quote:
I am trying to create a historical sim starting in 1901 but I have a few questions maybe someone can answer for me:

2. Does anyone know any utilities that can track hitting streaks or other streaks?
Old 08-15-2006, 09:00 AM   #10
teamjesus316
Bat Boy

Awesome! Thanks.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:58 AM   #11
Rasmuth
All Star Starter

I use the Arod/Garlon database previously mentioned in OOTP6.51, it adds 50 negro leagues players throughout history

Database works great, currently running a loose historical replay and just finished 1957 (started 1901)

Satchel Paige is my leagues best pitcher to date, well over 400 wins and 5800+ K's. Christy Mathewson, Bob Feller and George Ruth are the next 3 in line as far as wins....Mathewson and Feller also over 400...Ruth 373...in fact Feller may overtake Paige shortly as the alltime win leader.

Josh Gibson also had a fantastic career as well as some other negro-leaguers...

Excellent database.
Rasmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 09:48 AM   #12
teamjesus316
Bat Boy

Is there a way to have an updated leaderboard, records, and hall of fame in 2006 like you did in 6.5 and before?
Old 08-16-2006, 10:09 PM   #13
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

If you simply mean the game maintaining leaderboards, hall of fame and records for your leagues, then yes. There is a full history section for each league.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:51 PM   #14
Pirates Fan
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Will players I draft still develop in the same way?
bumping this up to see the answer.
Pirates Fan is offline   Reply With Quote