Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations

Old 07-25-2006, 12:59 PM   #1
Riverdawg
Minors (Double A)

Need your help or thoughts on a new project...

As I have done before:

http://www.geocities.com/jaxgreg/OOTPManagers.htm

I plan on updating my information on the history of the Managers and their tendencies. This time I plan to go back to say 1960 or 1950. It will depend on the scale and scope of this project. I also plan on adding the history of the GM's and possibly the Scouting Director information where the information is made available.

The diference from what I created back in 2002 and what the game incorporates now has expanded in a big way. On the tendencies side, I counted 25 different tendencies vs. 5 tendencies in the previous versions of OOTP. Many of these 25 tendencies can't be counted for statistically (Guarding lines, Favor L/R matchups, etc..) however, I still can obtain the following stats and apply to them some sort of tendency: Stolen Bases and Caught Stealing, IBB, Sac bunts, and Complete Games.

IMO, these stats could tell me the Manager's tendencies for Stealing (as well as baserunning?) Sac Bunting, Int Walk, and Hooks for SP and RP. The question is what do I do about the other tendencies? Could I combine some of them together like Stealing and Baserunning or Sac Bunt and Bunt for a hit? I am not sure if that makes sense, thus, I may just create a general tendency category and create a level for those categories I create. What are people's thoughts on this? Are there other statistical categories that I could use to determine a tendency for a manager?

Now in regards to creating a valid # for each tendency, I am going to create a scale of 1-10 for the tendencies. When I was playing around with the game, I figured out that there are 11 clicks from one end to the other. Thus, a 1-10 scale should be good enough to give everyone an idea where the manager stands on the OOTP scale. 1 will be the lowest and 10 will be the highest and you would click left to right.

For GM's and Scouts, I am thinking of using the same data that I am using to create for the Manager's tendencies. My thought on this is that the GM works with the manager to get the players that the manager wants, while the Manager works with the players that the GM provides and the scout goes scouts the players that the GM and Manager want on their teams. Granted they are not always on the same page, but over time, this relationship begins to develop and is a reflection of the organization. In addition, a GM will usually hire a manager that close reflects their prefences for a player.

Let me know what you think of this project, if you have any other ideas or suggestions, I am all for it. Thanks!

Last edited by Riverdawg; 07-25-2006 at 04:16 PM.
Riverdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 02:23 PM   #2
HoustonReplay
Bat Boy

if there are 11 clicks .. wouldn't you want a 12 point scale ??

(analogy .. a 2 point scale would have 1 click between 1 and 2)
(a 10 point scale would seem to fit with a 9 click scale)

Additionally, it seems like there is some problem in statistically separating the manager from the team "context" ... to really test it out well, you'd need to come up with your best numbers for tendencies, and then play test it using historical rosters to see that the stats came out roughly correct... A lot of work to get it really good. Though certainly estimates made from observation of stats would be MUCH better than random assignment of tendencies.

it seems like the most useful data might be the data at the two transitions of a managing assignment... how did his tendencies compare with the manager immediately prior.. and how did they compare with the manager immediately after.

Good luck

Steven "HoustonReplay" Copley scopley409@aol.com

Last edited by HoustonReplay; 07-27-2006 at 02:27 PM.
HoustonReplay is offline   Reply With Quote