Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion

Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion Talk about the latest FHM, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 11-12-2017, 04:42 PM   #1
micpringle
Minors (Triple A)

Question Scratches

How do you use scratches in FHM?

I notice there’s an option in the right-click menu to scratch a player, and I understand the wider idea of a scratch in the NHL, but in FHM I simply dress 20 players and the play then game—where do the 3 healthy scratches come into play?
micpringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 04:49 PM   #2
Torgonius
All Star Reserve

The next game, maybe. In the NHL, you might healthy scratch a guy who needs to get his head out of his butt, but that doesn't affect digital players.

For FHM, it's basically the guys who aren't playing that game. Maybe they play next game, maybe not.

Most NHL teams will rotate a defenseman through several games, giving a teammate a game off. Same with the forwards, they'll rotate a bottom 6er through several games.
Torgonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 04:57 PM   #3
micpringle
Minors (Triple A)

So should I be using the Scratch Player option on the 3 non-dressed players?
Old 11-12-2017, 05:04 PM   #4
Savoie45
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by micpringle View Post
So should I be using the Scratch Player option on the 3 non-dressed players?
I always keep at least one scratched forward and one defenseman in case players get injured during a game.
Savoie45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:17 PM   #5
Empty
Minors (Single A)

Non-dressed and scratched means the same thing. Anyone who is on the roster but isn't dressed is considered a scratch.
Empty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:25 PM   #6
micpringle
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty View Post
Non-dressed and scratched means the same thing. Anyone who is on the roster but isn't dressed is considered a scratch.
So when would you use the Scratch Player option?
Old 11-12-2017, 06:12 PM   #7
Torgonius
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by micpringle View Post
So when would you use the Scratch Player option?
When they are listed as dressed and you don't want them to be.
Torgonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:58 PM   #8
Adam B
Hockey Community Manager

I mean, in real life, it's more to do with in case a player is injured and can't play that days game you're not calling a guy up from the minors and hoping he makes it there by game time. Just imagine how much grief it would be if every time you wanted/needed to call someone up you had to factor in where the other team is.

Granted nowadays things are easier and more and more NHL teams are actually playing with their AHL affiliates right near them (Winnipeg, Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, San Jose - just to name a few), but it would still be downright frustrating.

However, one of the reasons is so you don't have to submit some players to waivers. Again, using Winnipeg as an example - they currently have Marko Dano scratched, and have for most of the season save for a few games where he's played. Could they send him down? Well, you could - but the teams been dealing with a few injuries and if you sent him down you'd be worried another team may grab him from the waiver wire. Losing any player on waivers isn't *usually* something an organization *wants* to have happen (but not every time).

For FHM though - players who are getting called up and down all the time can become frustrated by the feeling that they are playing at the wrong level, or a lack of playing time - so occasionally it's something you may want to look at and balance. It's also good to give guys some nights off if they are slightly injured as well - because small injuries can become big injuries.
Adam B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:32 AM   #9
micpringle
Minors (Triple A)

Thanks Adam—I really appreciate the v. comprehensive answer.

With regards FHM specifically, I have a roster of 23 and dress 20 players. Empty stated earlier that the 3 undressed players are basically my scratched players, so is the Scratch Player option in the right-click menu simply just another way to undress a player—I usually click the dressed icon to the left of their name to undress them—or is there more to it that I’m missing?
Old 11-13-2017, 04:17 AM   #10
JeffR
FHM Producer

That's all it does.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote