Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2006, 11:28 AM   #1
Nukester
All Star Starter

Weeding out the fictionals

For you guys doing historicals with a minor league (like TigerFans initial 1901 quickplay), how many years is it taking before you see most of the fictional players gone and mostly real players in the league, or does it never happen ?
Nukester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 11:59 AM   #2
fauteuil7
Major Leagues

If you set all of your minor league equivalency settings to something dismal like .100 then the fictional players created to fill out the minors will be so awful that they won't see much major league playing time, and if they do, they won't have any impact, probably never breaking the Mendoza Line.
fauteuil7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 12:22 PM   #3
andymac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauteuil7
If you set all of your minor league equivalency settings to something dismal like .100 then the fictional players created to fill out the minors will be so awful that they won't see much major league playing time, and if they do, they won't have any impact, probably never breaking the Mendoza Line.

I think he is asking how long until they aren't seen at all...even in the minors. Basically, how long until the imports are providing enough players to fill the minor league system with real players.

FTB: andymac
andymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 12:38 PM   #4
Nukester
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymac
I think he is asking how long until they aren't seen at all...even in the minors. Basically, how long until the imports are providing enough players to fill the minor league system with real players.
yeah thats what I mean. I have my fictional creation modifiers set to .100 but there are still a bunch of pitchers that make it to the league as spot starters and middle relievers. I even change all pitchers that import or are created as middle relievers and closer to starters, so all pitchers in my league are currently set as starting pitchers (until the CPU changes their description, which i think happens from time to time). All of the fictional players come in as 1-control 1-stuff, etc...1's in pretty much everything except endurance and hold runners.

Since Im seeing these fictional guys year after year in the sims, I was wondering if I was doing something wrong or if they will never go away, and if the minors do eventually fill with real players, how many years did it take for that to happen (one level of minors only)

Last edited by Nukester; 07-31-2006 at 12:40 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:44 PM   #5
fauteuil7
Major Leagues

Ah, okay, sorry for being thicker than a whale omelette. I haven't gotten a sim going long enough to notice when this may happen. I suppose it would depend on the roster set you're using and whether or not someone would want or be able to put together a historical "career minor leaguers" roster set which seems like it would be a massive undertaking.
fauteuil7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 03:40 PM   #6
No Pepper
All Star Starter

Nukester, how do you change all pitchers that import or are created to SP? Is there a quick and easy way of doing this or do you have to do each guy one at a time? Also, do you change endurance ratings as well?
No Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 04:09 PM   #7
Nukester
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Pepper
Nukester, how do you change all pitchers that import or are created to SP? Is there a quick and easy way of doing this or do you have to do each guy one at a time? Also, do you change endurance ratings as well?
Nope, no quick and dirty way.

I go through one at a time. Luckily for 1903 imports, there really isnt many to do. I notice that with the database Im using (ARod/Garlon career avg db) that some starters import at DH or reliever. All of the ones that come in as DH are really starters, so I change them. I also believe that the ones that come in as relievers are starters also, but there may be some that actually should be relievers, but I change them to starters anyway, but make their endurance a bit lower. The computer will put them wherever its wants whether they are marked as a starter or reliever, so the lower endurance usually gets them placed on a roster as a reliever. I also change all of the fictional relievers to starters and set the endurance very very low (like 10). Same with closers.

Yeah I do change the endurance too (as you can see above), but all in all, for a 1903 import from that database, I have to edit probably something like maybe 40 or so guys. Its a pain, but it goes pretty quickly

Last edited by Nukester; 07-31-2006 at 04:11 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:49 PM   #8
No Pepper
All Star Starter

Thanks for the answer Nukester, I hope you find yours. It will be an interesting find for historical simmers.
No Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 05:39 PM   #9
Nukester
All Star Starter

Ok I think I figured out my problem. It appears that even though when I originally set up the league I had made the start date of my minor leagues to be a week after my majors, due to the game importing a schedule that had a later major league start date than the way it was originally set, my minors were attempting to start before the majors spring training was over. So all of the fictional guys that should have been in the minors were still in the majors, and I was just adding in more and more fictional guys to the minor league teams.

I originally set my start date to something like April 1st and my minors to like April 8th, but the game now has my start date at April 15th. Im going to set it up again and change my minors start date to April 20th.

Im pretty sure Ive read about that somewhere around here before, but didnt put my finger on it until I was able to get home and actually look at the setup.

Last edited by Nukester; 07-31-2006 at 05:40 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:44 PM   #10
Nukester
All Star Starter

Ok, thats got to be the problem, however whenever I set the AAA league to start on April 20th and uncheck the import schedule if found option, the game still insists on starting the AAA league on April 7th

AAARRRGGGHHH
Old 07-31-2006, 08:10 PM   #11
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukester
Ok, thats got to be the problem, however whenever I set the AAA league to start on April 20th and uncheck the import schedule if found option, the game still insists on starting the AAA league on April 7th
What's your minor league alignment like? What's the schedule length you using for it?
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 08:21 PM   #12
Nukester
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange
What's your minor league alignment like? What's the schedule length you using for it?
My minors are 2 subleagues with one division each, with 8 teams each. I dont care how many games there are. I think it defaulted to 130 games, but Im willing to change it.

Last edited by Nukester; 07-31-2006 at 08:22 PM.