Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:14 PM   #1
Libid21
All Star Reserve

Rusty players if I sit them for 1 week?

I'm about to clinch my division prior to the start of September and am already thinking of ways to prevent injuries for all my players to rest them up for the playoffs. I was thinking of resting them the first and last weeks of the month as I don't have any days off in those weeks. And then in between, I'll have them rested every 3-4 games or so.

What do you guys think? Will they be rusty for the playoffs?

What are some other strategies you guys have used in order to keep your players well rested / injury free for the playoffs (with minimal amounts of rust!)?
Old 10-23-2018, 10:23 PM   #2
Jamee999
All Star Reserve

I am under the impression that in-season rust is not an OOTP feature, but I may be wrong.
Jamee999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:42 PM   #3
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

yeah, assuming you knocked off rust in ST and/or previously, it will not come back while on an active roster.

overuse is a real thing in ootp too. so, running a pitcher beyond 'slightly tired' every single game for years will have an effect. i use ~5 pitches less for pitch countsin mil and never let it get over 95-100 at aaa.

during mlb career, i won't run anyone into the ground on purpose, but if i need to during a season to lean on one person more than normal, i will. can always get more players and you know who you were rough with when deciding whom to trade.

batters, i'd go by fatigue levels... probably only have to worry about catcher 90% of the time, but in a longer stretch of games some other postions can benefit from rest. i'd stick to something similar to how it hink about SP -- if "slightly tired", not too big of a deal -- still a green color code too.

relievers... i don't know 80-100ip would be pushing it for most context... if he's a primary long reliever 100+ isn't so big of a deal, but if 1ip at at ime, that's probably too much work.

again, how often are you pitching 2 days in a row or even 3? 2-days for a high stamina guy isn't the same as 2 days in a row for alow stam guy. rely on color code again.. do they drop instantly to yellow/goldish color?

2 days in a row isn't bad... 2 days in a row all season with 1 day off is likely bad... but still no guarantee it hurts the guy. a more pressing concern for someone you intend to keep as opposed to short-term options.

lots of factors to consider... i wouldn't give up wins over concern over injuries/fatigue, unless extremely injury prone. if safely in first, just use your back-end guys a bit more.. avoid 2 or 3 days in a row when you can. you could stop using them completely if you wanted to.

i regularly have a bye week in playoffs.. no ill effects with hundreds of years using that format in ootp. my guys often have 7-10 days off before first playoff game. (all 7-game series, 2 rounds, then ws -- nfl-conference tree-style bye with 7 teams of 30 in)
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 09:16 AM   #4
texasmame
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamee999 View Post
I am under the impression that in-season rust is not an OOTP feature, but I may be wrong.
This is one thing that I'd like to see added. Baseball for Windows, which was my main go to for years prior to OOTP, had the feature where if players sat too long, they would get "itchy." When first using an "itchy" player, you had no idea if they would be terrible, excellent or average in that first outing.

I'd like to see this added, at least as a toggleable option.

As the defending NL West Champions, the SALMON fall to the wildcard Dakota Rushmores in the first round in seven games.
texasmame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 10:28 AM   #5
kenman
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmame View Post
This is one thing that I'd like to see added. Baseball for Windows, which was my main go to for years prior to OOTP, had the feature where if players sat too long, they would get "itchy." When first using an "itchy" player, you had no idea if they would be terrible, excellent or average in that first outing.

I'd like to see this added, at least as a toggleable option.
BBW was also my go to Sim for a long time. Was way ahead of it's time when it came out. Unfortunate that it was never further developed. It can still be purchased at the APBA site.
kenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 10:57 AM   #6
texasmame
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenman View Post
BBW was also my go to Sim for a long time. Was way ahead of it's time when it came out. Unfortunate that it was never further developed. It can still be purchased at the APBA site.
I still miss Ernie's play-by-play.

As the defending NL West Champions, the SALMON fall to the wildcard Dakota Rushmores in the first round in seven games.
Old 10-24-2018, 03:04 PM   #7
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

If you're looking for realism, try playing the starters at least every other game or so. Real teams don't sit their stars for the last week.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 06:01 PM   #8
Libid21
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post
If you're looking for realism, try playing the starters at least every other game or so. Real teams don't sit their stars for the last week.
This is in a pretty competitive online league, so I'm truthfully not looking for realism at this point. I'm hungry for my first championship after 8+ seasons of being in the league!

Old 10-24-2018, 08:04 PM   #9
jeffw3000
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmame View Post
I still miss Ernie's play-by-play.
BBW still is the best play by pay I have ever heard in a computer game. Really like you were sitting on the back porch, with a beer, listening to the baseball game on the radio.
jeffw3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:23 AM   #10
texasmame
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffw3000 View Post
BBW still is the best play by pay I have ever heard in a computer game. Really like you were sitting on the back porch, with a beer, listening to the baseball game on the radio.
It could be a bit choppy at times but overall it's probably the best "immersion" tool I've witnessed used in any game - even better than that new fangled VR crap! Added just soooo much to the experience!

I still can hear him say some of my team's names when I read them - "Burbank Black Barons" for example. Wonderful stuff.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:51 PM   #11
kenman
Minors (Single A)

"Like a house by the side of the road"
kenman is offline   Reply With Quote