Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - Technical Support > Bug Reports Forum

Bug Reports Forum Have a bug to report? Please post here.

Old 03-27-2017, 01:17 AM   #1
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Disable Automatic creation of Free Agents?

I had a fictional player, historical MLB league going. I reached the first amateur draft: No amateurs.

I ran the league ahead a few years, making sure that "Automatically import real historical rookies" was off and "Enable Amateur Draft" was on. No amateurs.

It was not until I discovered "Disable Automatic creation of Free Agents" that I found the trouble. This box is checked by default and only appears when amateur draft is disabled!

When I cleared "Disable Automatic creation of Free Agents" and enabled amateur draft again, that's when I began getting amateurs in my drafts again.

This appears to be a bug.
Attached Images
Image Image 

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:39 AM   #2
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

I looked at 17. This setting "Disable Automatic creation of Free Agents" is OFF by default when revealed by the Amateur Draft being disabled.

In 18, it is ON by default and it does not appear until the Amateur Draft is disabled. Presumably, it is operational from the start.

This does not seem to be optimal design if "Disable Automatic creation of Free Agents" is operating in the background, unnoticed, and impeding the creation of amateurs for the Amateur Draft.

- Bru

Old 03-27-2017, 01:50 AM   #3
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Okay, one last note: This issue occurs only when creating an historical league. The setting is off by default in a fictional league.

I think in an historical league, most of the time, people are using real rookies and historical transactions so they would not encounter this issue. I did because I am not using real players and wanted fictional amateurs in my draft. This "Disable Automatic creation of Free Agents" setting prevented me from getting them.

It should be off by default in all situations, like I believe it was in 17. This is especially true because it is hidden until the amateur draft is disabled.

- Bru

Old 03-27-2017, 10:12 AM   #4
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Wow, I don't know how you guys do this. I created this thread late last night and already this morning there are 16 new threads.

Anyway, I don't mean to bump the thread but I do have an additional comment which I am copying from the General Discussions copy:

I am saying that this box should either NOT be hidden or it should be left as default OFF. This is the way it has been up until now. Once people playing purely historical elect not to have an amateur draft, then they should see the option to not create any free agents at all, and click it. Otherwise the option is hidden to fictional/historical players like me.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 03-27-2017 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:59 AM   #5
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

I hate to let this thread slide without an official response, but if so, then that's OK. Obviously, there is much going on right now and hundreds of threads are competing for attention. I have done by civic duty, here and in the General Discussions forum, so I am content. I have also saved screen prints for myself to remind me to "look behind the curtain" for this option in the future.

- Bru

Old 05-11-2017, 03:46 PM   #6
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

I'm bumping this thread because somebody just asked me about it which means it was never addressed in a patch.

- Bru

Old 05-11-2017, 05:44 PM   #7
Ragin Cajun
All Star Starter

Thanks Bru, somebody asked on my behalf.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:49 PM   #8
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

For Historical Leagues this default should be as it is so no fictional players get generated. Fully historical is the basic default style league created when you choose the historical option.

If you wish to create another form of historical league that is actually non-historical in one way or another then you can change this option and many others.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:49 PM   #9
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
Thanks Bru, somebody asked on my behalf.
My pleasure. I just PM'd Lukas and Matt. I hope that helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritze View Post
For Historical Leagues this default should be as it is so no fictional players get generated. Fully historical is the basic default style league created when you choose the historical option.

If you wish to create another form of historical league that is actually non-historical in one way or another then you can change this option and many others.
Perhaps. But then the option should not be HIDDEN until the amateur draft is disabled. Obviously, there are people playing in a certain way (like me) who do/did not know about this hidden option and were wondering why their drafts were empty!

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 05-11-2017 at 09:57 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:04 PM   #10
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
.... the option should not be HIDDEN until the amateur draft is disabled. Obviously, there are people playing in a certain way (like me) who do/did not know about this hidden option and were wondering why their drafts were empty!
i played a couple of version of the game and didn't know about this setting, until someone kindly pointed it out to me in OOTP 17. And i still forget about it sometimes when creating a new league, either to test or play. i agree, it should not be hidden.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.

Last edited by mitchkenn; 05-11-2017 at 10:06 PM.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:14 PM   #11
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchkenn View Post
i played a couple of version of the game and didn't know about this setting, until someone kindly pointed it out to me in OOTP 17. And i still forget about it sometimes when creating a new league, either to test or play. i agree, it should not be hidden.
Yes. Because I can see what Spritze is saying, if the devs don't want to uncheck this by default, then they should unhide the option so that it can be noticed.

Obviously there are some guys out there who are struggling with this because they play semi-historically or historical MLB with fictional players. They need the amateur draft, but nobody shows up in it because they don't know about this setting to turn it off.

- Bru

Old 05-13-2017, 11:45 AM   #12
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Resolution, for which I am grateful:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Not a bug, but rather a poorly named option. The next build has it renamed and visible even when the draft is enabled.

- Bru

Old 09-24-2017, 09:58 PM   #13
7mart7
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Having similar issue. I have a historical season in 1973 using Spritze database. At first, I was getting no one in my draft pool for 1974. Then, I unclicked the box as above and now I get only fictional players. How do I delete those pesky fictional players and get a new draft class of MLB players for 1974? Thanks.
7mart7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 03:52 PM   #14
hammerstringz
Minors (Single A)

How do I change the actual date of the game so I can go back into time before I skipped right past the draft with no players? I'm going to be ticked off if I have to start a 3rd MANUAL season to apply this fix to a season! I won't purchase OOTP 19 until I see nobody complaining about this after first month or so. I see where this has been reported as a problem for over 7 months now. Good thing I always wait to write reviews until there's a need to speak to developers and see how the response goes.

Last edited by hammerstringz; 02-26-2018 at 04:14 PM.
hammerstringz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 04:04 PM   #15
hammerstringz
Minors (Single A)

I tried this fix (found this thread just after the draft where there were zero players) and it won't let me click enable amateur draft after I uncheck disable automatic creation because it says it can only be done in pre-season. How do I get around this where I'm at in my HISTORICAL game?

Last edited by hammerstringz; 02-26-2018 at 04:07 PM.
hammerstringz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 04:07 PM   #16
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mart7 View Post
Having similar issue. I have a historical season in 1973 using Spritze database. At first, I was getting no one in my draft pool for 1974. Then, I unclicked the box as above and now I get only fictional players. How do I delete those pesky fictional players and get a new draft class of MLB players for 1974? Thanks.
By checking both boxes. That's how you get major league players. In order to delete the fictional ones, I think there's a mass select/delete function somewhere, but I've never used it so I'm not sure.

Last edited by actionjackson; 02-26-2018 at 04:08 PM.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote