Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 01-15-2014, 12:46 PM   #21
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Wrong on every level.

1. If you don't tell them that, they keep posting in the wrong forum. Fact.

2. If they ask a newbie question, people who want to help them in the newbie forum may never see it. Likewise other newbies may not see it.

3. If they ask a graphics/mods question, people who want to help them in the mods forum may never see it. Likewise other interested people may not see it.

The different forums exist for real reasons. As veterans, it's our job to make sure that new users learn to post in the right forums, because it's best for everyone.
Not saying you're wrong, but there's no reason that we can't answer the question while also telling the OP to use the proper forum next time AND asking a mod to move the original thread to the proper forum.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:54 PM   #22
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
Not saying you're wrong, but there's no reason that we can't answer the question while also telling the OP to use the proper forum next time AND asking a mod to move the original thread to the proper forum.
As long as all of that is done, great.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:55 PM   #23
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Wrong on every level.

1. If you don't tell them that, they keep posting in the wrong forum. Fact.
I specifically said to tell them to direct any further inquiries to the proper forum - AFTER you offer help.

Quote:
2. If they ask a newbie question, people who want to help them in the newbie forum may never see it. Likewise other newbies may not see it.
So they shouldn't get help if they post in the wrong forum without knowing that other forums exist? Yeah, great philosophy. And nine times out of ten, the question is something that has been asked a hundred times over. If it's truly something ground-breaking that new players should know about and/or will require much further discussion, we can (as I stated above) tell the poster to make a new thread in the proper forum - AFTER offering help. Or if it's particularly necessary, a mod can move the thread.

Quote:
3. If they ask a graphics/mods question, people who want to help them in the mods forum may never see it. Likewise other interested people may not see it.
Graphics questions are a different beast. They're the only ones that NEED to be in the proper forum, since many graphics makers don't frequent the GD. So in that case, the proper response is to direct the poster to the Graphics Forum. My statement was about questions, not uniform requests. So if a new poster has a question about how to get his custom jerseys to show up, that question should still be answered wherever he posts it.

Quote:
The different forums exist for real reasons. As veterans, it's our job to make sure that new users learn to post in the right forums, because it's best for everyone.
No one's arguing that. But you can teach them what those forums are for while still offering your help. I've done it before. I've done it with people who are now regular posters on the boards - and they now post in the proper forums. You answer the question, and say something like "Just fyi, in the future, questions like this should go in the New to the Game forum". You don't say "I refuse to help you unless you post in the New to the Game forum."

Last edited by Fyrestorm3; 01-15-2014 at 12:56 PM.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:56 PM   #24
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
There needs to be a balance though, because otherwise we'd end up with no news users.

And that could apply to any number of things lol.
What tends to happens is that they self-select. The more intellectual and nature/disciplined ones stay, and the less suitable ones wander off on their own.

Which is why I don't worry about the latter group.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:58 PM   #25
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What tends to happens is that they self-select. The more intellectual and nature/disciplined ones stay, and the less suitable ones wander off on their own.

Which is why I don't worry about the latter group.
The bolded part is endlessly debatable.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:04 PM   #26
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm3 View Post
I specifically said to tell them to direct any further inquiries to the proper forum - AFTER you offer help.

So they shouldn't get help if they post in the wrong forum without knowing that other forums exist? Yeah, great philosophy. And nine times out of ten, the question is something that has been asked a hundred times over. If it's truly something ground-breaking that new players should know about and/or will require much further discussion, we can (as I stated above) tell the poster to make a new thread in the proper forum - AFTER offering help. Or if it's particularly necessary, a mod can move the thread.

Graphics questions are a different beast. They're the only ones that NEED to be in the proper forum, since many graphics makers don't frequent the GD. So in that case, the proper response is to direct the poster to the Graphics Forum. My statement was about questions, not uniform requests. So if a new poster has a question about how to get his custom jerseys to show up, that question should still be answered wherever he posts it.

No one's arguing that. But you can teach them what those forums are for while still offering your help. I've done it before. I've done it with people who are now regular posters on the boards - and they now post in the proper forums. You answer the question, and say something like "Just fyi, in the future, questions like this should go in the New to the Game forum". You don't say "I refuse to help you unless you post in the New to the Game forum."
I disagree with you. Coddling never leads to a positive outcome.

But as long as you honor BIG17EASY's list of things to do, I'm cool with it.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:07 PM   #27
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

BIG17EASY's heartily endorsed checklist

1. Answer the question.

2. Tell the OP to use the proper forum next time.

3. Ask a mod to move the original thread to the proper forum.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:09 PM   #28
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The bolded part is endlessly debatable.
I should have written "tend to wander off on their own."

Old 01-15-2014, 01:11 PM   #29
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I disagree with you. Coddling never leads to a positive outcome.

But as long as you honor BIG17EASY's list of things to do, I'm cool with it.

Yep, okay, you're barely even reading my posts. Because that's exactly what I'm endorsing.

I honestly cannot believe we're having a debate over whether to help newbies or not. Way to prove Joe's point.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:16 PM   #30
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yep, okay, you're barely even reading my posts. Because that's exactly what I'm endorsing.

I honestly cannot believe we're having a debate over whether to help newbies or not. Way to prove Joe's point.
I read them. I disagree with your idea of answer first and then beg them not to do it again. There's a right way and a wrong way to help. Give a man a fish, feed him for a day; teach him how to fish, feed him for life.

So tell them that they're in the wrong forum when they are and ask a mod to move the thread. Is that too much to ask of you?

Old 01-15-2014, 01:20 PM   #31
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

And it's not about WHETHER to do so, it's about the best way to do so for all concerned.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:22 PM   #32
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I read them. I disagree with your idea of answer first and then beg them not to do it again. There's a right way and a wrong way to help. Give a man a fish, feed him for a day; teach him how to fish, feed him for life.

So tell them that they're in the wrong forum when they are and ask a mod to move the thread. Is that too much to ask of you?
Then you didn't read my suggestions, because that's exactly what I suggested and you are "heartily" endorsing. Answer the question first, tell the OP what forum he should have posted in second, and ask a mod to move the thread to that forum third. It should happen all in the same post, of course, but also specifically in that order. You even posted my suggestions in that exact order.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:33 PM   #33
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Then you didn't read my suggestions, because that's exactly what I suggested and you are "heartily" endorsing. Answer the question first, tell the OP what forum he should have posted in second, and ask a mod to move the thread to that forum third. It should happen all in the same post, of course, but also specifically in that order. You even posted my suggestions in that exact order.
Yes, I read them. His was apologetic and conditional. Yours wasn't.

I'm on board with TELLING them that they posted in the wrong forum and ALWAYS asking a mod to move an inappropriate thread. Not with hinting at it to them (I've seen way to many hints ignored) and maybe asking a mod to move a thread.

You and I agree with each other, but he doesn't agree with either of us.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:34 PM   #34
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I'm on board with TELLING them that they posted in the wrong forum and ALWAYS asking a mod to move an inappropriate thread. Not with hinting at it to them (I've seen way to many hints ignored) and maybe asking a mod to move a thread.

Fair enough. I took fyrestorm3's suggestion to be the same as mine. We just presented it differently.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:35 PM   #35
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

It was style and procedure, not substance.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:37 PM   #36
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

You are discussing being a decent human being with a person using the term 'coddling' unironically.

I think we all know who the orginal post was aimed at.
rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:38 PM   #37
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

In what way am I endorsing HINTING that they're in the wrong forum? Read my freaking posts - every single one of them contains the line "tell the poster to post in the right forum." Myself and Big Easy have said the exact same thing. He just mentioned having a mod move the thread before I did.

You know what, I'm done. Wolf, you know I rarely have a problem with you, but right now, you are admirably demonstrating why so many users have you on their ignore lists.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:40 PM   #38
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

In fact, he did exactly what he was asked not to do just now. A user used his 8th post on the forum to ask a question and Wolf used it as an opportunity to attack the way he phrased it.

I guess he didn't want to 'coddle' him.
rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:44 PM   #39
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Sample reply:

Yes, and you can change that in X.

There is a separate forum for new user questions and answers, and this question should have been asked in that forum instead of in the main one.

Can we get a mod to move this thread there, please?

Old 01-15-2014, 01:46 PM   #40
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpriske View Post
I think we all know who the orginal post was aimed at.
We do?
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote