Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 10:37 AM   #41
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Fair enough. But, like everything else in this game it tends to be a process. Look at how far historical play has come over the years. Let's look at another aspect of this great game, league evolution. I think league evolution has tons and tons of potential, but as things stand now I feel it is a feature that was added to the game and forgotten. Nothing has been added or improved about it since its addition.
I turn it off as well.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #42
Andreas Raht
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Don't mistake dislike for anger. Storylines don't make me mad at all.
You're frequently making comments to other users' posts which make these other users mad. You're trolling all the time. If you're not trolling, I don't know what trolling is.

Quote:
No, and I don't yell "get rid of storylines." I think they will be usable one day, and have said so repeatedly.
The Wolf, we all know your posts and they are still there. You indeed yelled "TURN STORYLINES OFF!" to everybody in your sig and in uppercase.

Quote:
Okay, let's break this down.

Andreas:

1. What is the official purpose for storylines?

2. Why have there been so many severely punitive outcomes from storyline stories (loss of market size, fan interest, etc.)?

3. Why are there so very few positive outcomes to storylines?

4. Did the OOTP design staff believe that there was insufficient randomness in the game before adding storylines?

No, I'm not trolling. You wanted constructive criticism, I gave it, and now I'm asking serious questions.
LOL it's pretty late for these questions from you and the answers are so obvious and given so often, that I won't do that again here extra for you.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:44 AM   #43
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I turn it off as well.
One thing I do agree with that someone suggested a ways back...League evolution and storylines should not be "turned on" as part of the default wizard setup. Too many new users seem to find out the hard way about these features when it's too late.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:50 AM   #44
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
Personally, I think the storylines system is an awesome feature, however the implementation is still in its infancy and the standards of immersion reality can be tuned up quite a bit. As it stands right now, they are great fun for casual leagues, but for a longtime league, where all of the players have been like family to you, the repetiveness and silliness of some entries only serve to remind me that these players are not really my family and I am just playing a stupid game.......

But the system has great potential and I hope that someday I can have it turned on in my main league......
Old 08-23-2013, 10:51 AM   #45
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Raht View Post
You're frequently making comments to other users' posts which make these other users mad. You're trolling all the time. If you're not trolling, I don't know what trolling is.

The Wolf, we all know your posts and they are still there. You indeed yelled "TURN STORYLINES OFF!" to everybody in your sig and in uppercase.

LOL it's pretty late for these questions from you and the answers are so obvious and given so often, that I won't do that again here extra for you.
1. If other people get mad in a reasonable discussion, that's on them.

2. Telling people to turn something off is not the same as saying it should be gotten rid of. I have never advocated getting rid of storylines.

3. I don't think those questions have ever been answered in one place. I did what you wanted me to do. Will you please answer the questions? They're important and germane to this discussion. Thank you.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.

Last edited by The Wolf; 08-23-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:51 AM   #46
JohnHoward
All Star Reserve

Quote:

Hey, if it is troll crackdown time, why don't you go for the biggest troll of all? I don't even have to give you a name, do I?
Old 08-23-2013, 10:52 AM   #47
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfan34 View Post
nevermind I just realized who this was referencing
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHoward View Post
Thanks Andreas, I will be happy to comply. I am guilty of echoing this sentiment repeatedly. I will turn storylines off permanently and never mention them again here.

However, it irks me no end that there is one user in particular who craps all over every aspect of the game at every opportunity and who never gets called out. I used to think this other poster was a rival game developer who was just here to cut down his competition. Now I just think he is a trouble-making idiot. He doesn't just bang on one thing though, he bangs on everything, so I guess that's cool.
So, call them out. As long as we're having an everything-on-the-table thread, why not be clear about the reference? If nothing else, it's an interesting storyline.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #48
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
One thing I do agree with that someone suggested a ways back...League evolution and storylines should not be "turned on" as part of the default wizard setup. Too many new users seem to find out the hard way about these features when it's too late.
Great idea.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #49
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hey, if it is troll crackdown time, why don't you go for the biggest troll of all? I don't even have to give you a name, do I?
Quote:
FWIW, this was officially suggested, but the developer disagrees.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #50
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

How I would fix storylines:

1. For every negative event, there should be a positive event of equal probability and value.

2. Extreme outcomes should be toned down.

3. Ridiculous storylines - star baseball pitcher in his thirties quits to play football? - should be eliminated.

4. Every event involving a technology should not occur until such date as that technology became common - no flat screen TV's in 1971.

5. Every event involving a seasonal factor should occur only within that season - no skiing injuries in July.

6. Any storyline should only occur ONCE in any given league.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:55 AM   #51
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think you know what trolling is.....
Old 08-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #52
JohnHoward
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
So, call them out. As long as we're having an everything-on-the-table thread, why not be clear about the reference? If nothing else, it's an interesting storyline.
No, because that would violate the forum rules. If you have trouble with the reference then that poster isn't a problem for you. But I bet you don't have much doubt.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #53
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Okay, let's break this down.

Andreas:

1. What is the official purpose for storylines?

2. Why have there been so many severely punitive outcomes from storyline stories (loss of market size, fan interest, etc.)?

3. Why are there so very few positive outcomes to storylines?

4. Did the OOTP design staff believe that there was insufficient randomness in the game before adding storylines?

No, I'm not trolling. You wanted constructive criticism, I gave it, and now I'm asking serious questions.
Andreas says that these questions have been answered before. Does anyone recall the answers? Has anyone seen an answer to question #4 anywhere?

Old 08-23-2013, 10:59 AM   #54
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questdog View Post
Personally, I think the storylines system is an awesome feature, however the implementation is still in its infancy and the standards of immersion reality can be tuned up quite a bit. As it stands right now, they are great fun for casual leagues, but for a longtime league, where all of the players have been like family to you, the repetiveness and silliness of some entries only serve to remind me that these players are not really my family and I am just playing a stupid game.......

But the system has great potential and I hope that someday I can have it turned on in my main league......
This is EXACTLY how I feel about storylines. Well said, Quest.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:05 AM   #55
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think you know what trolling is.....
Trolling is "submit a deliberately provocative posting to an online message board with the aim of inciting an angry response."

I post what I know and what I believe without such intent. My views are not mainstream and people strongly object to those views and post angry and insulting responses and off we go. I don't like it when they do so and I don't like getting angry myself. That's not trolling. That's being in an oppressed minority.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:19 AM   #56
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Trolling is "submit a deliberately provocative posting to an online message board with the aim of inciting an angry response."

I post what I know and what I believe without such intent. My views are not mainstream and people strongly object to those views and post angry and insulting responses and off we go. I don't like it when they do so and I don't like getting angry myself. That's not trolling. That's being in an oppressed minority.
It is NOT your views that get people upset, but the way you express them........You and I probably don't have much difference of opinion on the storylines, but you don't see any developers smacking me down.....

Probably the most annoying feature of your online persona, is summed up in the word "relentless"........post after post in a thread repeating the exact same message......
Old 08-23-2013, 11:24 AM   #57
Thundercrack
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Do tell, some of us haven't updated our troll scorecards.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:25 AM   #58
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

I am frequently desctibed in real life as being relentless. It's my nature.

Mgom is Mgom and you are you and I am me. Personalities should be allowed for and left out of discussions.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:28 AM   #59
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It is NOT your views that get people upset, but the way you express them........You and I probably don't have much difference of opinion on the storylines, but you don't see any developers smacking me down.....

Probably the most annoying feature of your online persona, is summed up in the word "relentless"........post after post in a thread repeating the exact same message......
FYI, I have always found your use of ellipses instead of periods and sentences to be really annoying, but that's just who you are, so I have never mentioned it to you.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:28 AM   #60
Nunyer
All Star Reserve

Quote:
How I would fix storylines:

5. Every event involving a seasonal factor should occur only within that season - no skiing injuries in July.
I agree with pretty much everything else in the post... but just to play devil's advocate... My cousin lives in Oregon and skis year round... Based on her facebook postings this summer, there are ski locations in the mountains of Oregon and Northern Cali that apparently have permafrost conditions and never close or are at least open periodically.... Throw on the shorts, slather on the sunscreen and by the time you hit the bottom of the slope, it's a nice summery day.

EDIT: for my excessive ellipse use.

Last edited by Nunyer; 08-23-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Closed Thread