Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 09:29 AM   #21
Jabez54
Hall Of Famer

Er ... okay ... this is not helping the Game ... the War of Words ...

There are many options to tailor the Game/Leagues to our own personal flavor ... for that I am very appreciative ... whether I likes or dislikes are not voice over the forum unless it's hurting the overall of the Game of Baseball, as a whole ... but this isn't helping ...

Last edited by Jabez54; 08-23-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:42 AM   #22
soxfan34
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
Thanks for the clarification. I think I'm going to turn SLs on in my fictional league and see how I like them. I don't think I'll ever use them in an MLB Quickstart (or at least until that turns into a fully fictional league by 2030 or so) because it's just not believable to see David Wright retire suddenly to pursue another sport or the military.
And that's the exact point. Storylines don't recognize "David Wright" as a name. So to someone seeing him leaving the league to become a lumberjack, it sounds stupid. If you saw that in your fictional league you'd be like "what an idiot" and move on. I truly think OOTP was meant to be played in a fictional environment.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:42 AM   #23
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

While we're talking about storylines, would it be possible (probably for OOTP 15) to get something that allows us to allow a storyline to happen more than once, but not to the same player? I appreciate that it's not likely to happen as things are, but you could, in theory, have someone's mother die twice or something.

Could we also have a guide to editing the storylines at some point?

Old 08-23-2013, 09:43 AM   #24
soxfan34
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHoward View Post
Thanks Andreas, I will be happy to comply. I am guilty of echoing this sentiment repeatedly. I will turn storylines off permanently and never mention them again here.

However, it irks me no end that there is one user in particular who craps all over every aspect of the game at every opportunity and who never gets called out. I used to think this other poster was a rival game developer who was just here to cut down his competition. Now I just think he is a trouble-making idiot. He doesn't just bang on one thing though, he bangs on everything, so I guess that's cool.
nevermind I just realized who this was referencing

Last edited by soxfan34; 08-23-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:47 AM   #25
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Raht View Post
That is not true and it's offending me, Wolf. I'll never understand constructive criticism as "troublemaking". But I understand what you're doing here as trolling. I'm ready to give you some infraction points
Andreas, you missed the

That was HUMOR.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:49 AM   #26
hefalumps
All Star Starter

Thanks Andreas... glad to see those options are in there already!

Reading through others' posts I remembered the one other major complaint I was hearing about storylines - huge hits to fan interest or market size. I haven't experienced this yet, but if I recall this was toned down in subsequent versions, right?

Anyway, I've kept them disabled in my OOTP13 leagues and prior, but I'm rolling with them in the new league I started with OOTP14. I'll see how they treat me and adjust accordingly.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:49 AM   #27
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
I'm sure Jim Leyland was screaming "turn storylines off" the morning after the White Sox took Miggy out and got him fall down drunk.
That's a silly response that did not address the issue.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:51 AM   #28
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfan34 View Post
And that's the exact point. Storylines don't recognize "David Wright" as a name. So to someone seeing him leaving the league to become a lumberjack, it sounds stupid. If you saw that in your fictional league you'd be like "what an idiot" and move on. I truly think OOTP was meant to be played in a fictional environment.
Well, I don't know if I'd be that unaffected by it if it was my star player in a fictional league, but I get your point that it's obviously much more believable when we don't know the player's personal background. And there are storylines that would be believable for David Wright or some other big name player in real life. And I'm sure there are people who play OOTP who aren't bothered by the possibility of Mike Trout retiring to be a lumberjack.

Like Andreas said, if you like them, use them. If not, turn them off.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:51 AM   #29
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Raht View Post
That is not true and it's offending me, Wolf. I'll never understand constructive criticism as "troublemaking". But I understand what you're doing here as trolling. I'm ready to give you some infraction points
Actually I have given you my best constructive criticism. I have yet to see a serious response.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:58 AM   #30
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
That's a silly response that did not address the issue.
Sure it did. Dealing with off field issues is part of baseball. I was addressing the part of your post in which you talked about how you play the game to test your skill. Randomn events are part of everyday baseball and sure most managers would love it if all they had to deal with is on field issues. Never going to happen. I don't use storylines either, but I can see why people would want to.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:04 AM   #31
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Sure it did. Dealing with off field issues is part of baseball. I was addressing the part of your post in which you talked about how you play the game to test your skill. Randomn events are part of everyday baseball and sure most managers would love it if all they had to deal with is on field issues. Never going to happen. I don't use storylines either, but I can see why people would want to.
Fail. Without storylines OOTP still gives us off field events. Ever had a player bitten by a coyote? Or injured off the field in other ways? I have, and I think it's enough.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:06 AM   #32
mpejkrm
All Star Reserve

I just think most storylines are unrealistic. Star players in their prime making millions don't suddenly leave to go play football.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:09 AM   #33
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Okay, let's break this down.

Andreas:

1. What is the official purpose for storylines?

2. Why have there been so many severely punitive outcomes from storyline stories (loss of market size, fan interest, etc.)?

3. Why are there so very few positive outcomes to storylines?

4. Did the OOTP design staff believe that there was insufficient randomness in the game before adding storylines?

No, I'm not trolling. You wanted constructive criticism, I gave it, and now I'm asking serious questions.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:10 AM   #34
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

I wonder if the like/dislike line also falls on the plays/sims line.

I am not saying it does... I just wonder.

I think that if I flew through my games like some people do and I saw three storylines in ten minutes... I might not enjoy it.

But when you play through those games and it takes months to finish a season, having storylines pop up makes the game more interesting and entertaining.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #35
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

Plus, I constantly wonder why certain people get so angry about things that don't effect their play experience in the slightest.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:13 AM   #36
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Fail. Without storylines OOTP still gives us off field events. Ever had a player bitten by a coyote? Or injured off the field in other ways? I have, and I think it's enough.
That's fine. I don't use storylines either. Heck, I don't even use personality and Morale. I also don't worry whether or not others do. I use short pbp/instant and play out games fast. Do you ever see me on here yelling "get rid of play by play?"
Old 08-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #37
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpriske View Post
Plus, I constantly wonder why certain people get so angry about things that don't effect their play experience in the slightest.
Don't mistake dislike for anger. Storylines don't make me mad at all.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:16 AM   #38
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's fine. I don't use storylines either. Heck, I don't even use personality and Morale. I also don't worry whether or not others do. I use short pbp/instant and play out games fast. Do you ever see me on here yelling "get rid of play by play?"
No, and I don't yell "get rid of storylines." I think they will be usable one day, and have said so repeatedly.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:23 AM   #39
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

It's one of those things that is similar to politics...If you repeat a lie long enough it has a funny way of becoming truth.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:24 AM   #40
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No, and I don't yell "get rid of storylines." I think they will be usable one day, and have said so repeatedly.
Fair enough. But, like everything else in this game it tends to be a process. Look at how far historical play has come over the years. Let's look at another aspect of this great game, league evolution. I think league evolution has tons and tons of potential, but as things stand now I feel it is a feature that was added to the game and forgotten. Nothing has been added or improved about it since its addition.
Closed Thread