Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 07:20 PM   #81
JohnHoward
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painmantle View Post

If people who don't like them spent 1/10th of the time fixing them as they did complaining about them...this thread wouldn't even exist!
Actually, this whole forum would not exist. In fact for some people here the whole game would not exist since they get much more enjoyment from complaining about it than playing it judging by the time they spend on here.

I still support the OP. He made a valid point that got conflated into many different points. But everybody got to express their own little pet peeve, relevant or not, or to be oh so brave about how tough they are, so I guess we are all happy.

I love this game. I love 90% of this community and what they contribute. But on some days, I have to tell you, there is a group of you who just need to stop.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #82
Jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-BacksJosh View Post
Maybe they could change the storyline to a 'family emergency'. That way people can imagine their own stories as to what that 'emergency' is.
That actually seems like the best option. It conveys a sense of urgency, leaves return open ended and isn't quite as morbid as a dead kid.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:24 PM   #83
cody8200
Hall Of Famer

This is removed in the newest default_storylines file. When the upcoming patch comes out, it should be fixed for new games.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #84
coljesep
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painmantle View Post
If people who don't like them spent 1/10th of the time fixing them as they did complaining about them...this thread wouldn't even exist!
I don't spend $ on a game to go and edit code files to make sure children do not die in my game unnecessarily.

If you want to spend time editing code, go ahead. My job is to play the game as a customer.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:45 PM   #85
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by injury log View Post
But you do complain about them, all the time. And every time you do, it makes me cringe. Several OOTP features - the MLB roster set, news stories, storylines, the pbp, among others - are entirely the work of volunteers. The people who work on these things aren't paid; they're donating their time entirely to make your and other OOTPers' experience of the game more enjoyable. If you don't like their work, that's fine, you can turn storylines off. But you don't need to disparage their efforts every chance you have. Nothing about your comments is remotely constructive, and if they lead volunteers to stop working on the game, then everyone playing OOTP loses.

Storylines are almost infinitely better in v14 than in v13. Yes, they are far from perfect, but I think the people who contributed to them this version deserve to be applauded for their work. If you don't like them, there's an on/off switch. Or you could do something that actually helps other OOTPers, like suggest how to improve them, or even work on them yourself. You don't need to take every opportunity you have to make volunteers feel like their work is worthless.
Admittedly I think that storylines are a bad idea that was poorly executed and a waste of time, but I stopped complaining about them a while back. As I have stated before, they will probably be tuned sufficiently to be usable sometime around OOTP 18 or so.

You think that just because someone done does something that they automatically deserve praise for it? I praise those who make mods that I value - Justafan, for example - but I do not praise those whose work I do not value. Nor would I ever help with storylines - would you waste your time working on a mod that you thought was useless?

Some people apparently need storylines to help with immersion. That's fine. I play OOTP for the baseball, and I always turn storylines off. That's fine, too. You do what you want and I'll do what I want. You play your game your way and I'll play mine my way. And my way - and that of others - is with storylines off and you need to realize and accept that that's okay. Not everyone is going to like what you do or want to do things your way.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:14 PM   #86
nebradska
Minors (Triple A)

I will forever be perplexed by the ultra-sensitive, overly PC parts of our society.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:33 PM   #87
JohnHoward
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebradska View Post
I will forever be perplexed by the ultra-sensitive, overly PC parts of our society.
Hey someone has to be around to write letters to all the rugged individualists in prison.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:41 PM   #88
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coljesep View Post
I don't spend $ on a game to go and edit code files to make sure children do not die in my game unnecessarily.

If you want to spend time editing code, go ahead. My job is to play the game as a customer.
Then you should play a different game. OOTP was created in a specific way to allow the user to make changes, such as the one you asked for. However, it sounds like you got your way and the change was made. Congrats.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:53 PM   #89
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
Then you should play a different game. OOTP was created in a specific way to allow the user to make changes, such as the one you asked for. However, it sounds like you got your way and the change was made. Congrats.
I dont believe he plays with 14 so he'll still see it.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:55 PM   #90
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody8200 View Post
This is removed in the newest default_storylines file. When the upcoming patch comes out, it should be fixed for new games.
why?
Old 08-21-2013, 09:57 PM   #91
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

I really hate politically correct types.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:06 PM   #92
D-BacksJosh
Banned

Quote:
Now all of the virtual children can sleep safe and sound tonight.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:35 PM   #93
philliesphan26
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Kinda disappointed in hearing this. In a day where basically ALL sports games are affected somewhat by the respective organizations' (i.e. MLB, NFL) image fears, stuff like this is, dare I say it, a breath of fresh air. I don't get any joy out of kids dying or drunk driving arrests, but when we try too hard to act like these things don't exist or happen because someone might get offended and as a result the majority has to suffer... I think the game ultimately suffers as well.

Look at NFL Blitz for example. Back when it first came out on PS1 it was completely over the top with after the play hits and showboating, etc. And it was tons of fun. It got re-released on the Xbox 360 a year or two ago and they took all that stuff out because of how worried the NFL is about its image. It wasn't the same game, not even close. Same thing with celebrations in games like Madden, they really aren't there and as highlighted as they were 10 years ago because of the NFL's relatively recent war on celebrations (anyone remember NFL 2K5's celebrations?). Remember in the NCAA Football series about 7 or so years ago, when players would get suspended if their GPA wasn't high enough or they got in trouble at school? Yeah, NCAA said no more of that. Heaven forbid.

I don't want the game to coddle me like I'm a 10 year old playing his first sports game. I want the possibility to have my or my opponents' players get arrested for drunk driving or overheard being racially/religiously insensitive or get caught using steroids (not "drugs" and not for just 5-10 games as OOTP currently has). I think that that stuff would only add to the realism of the game and immerse me more.

I'm not trying to say that OOTP is going to go from amazing baseball to sim to terrible baseball sim with the removal of this particular storyline. I'm just saying that I want to see stuff like this every once in a while. It's a good opportunity to tie the personality stuff into storylines too (obviously not for things like dying family members, but for things like racial tirades and DUIs). Give us the option to turn off "mature" storylines if you have to. Don't overdo it, make it similar to real-life where it only happens a few times a year. Heck, I saw a guy in OOTP get barred from the game from life and thrown in prison the other day for running a Ponzi scheme. I thought it was hilarious, and I've only ever seen it once in 10+ seasons. It works well. But because someone might have been scammed by a Ponzi scheme once in their life and may get offended, should we take it out? No.

I apologize for the long rant post. But this is something that's bugged me about games and even media recently (i.e. the last 5 or so years). Ultimately, the developers decide how the game is represented to the public, but I just wanted to blow off some steam.

Last edited by philliesphan26; 08-22-2013 at 12:14 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:54 PM   #94
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebradska View Post
"It's for the children!"

Baby can't eat steak so the whole family must eat puréed carrots.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:05 PM   #95
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
Here is a copy of storylines without anyone passing away......took out the kid and another one with a kidney transplant.....that's all I could find....

storylines.zip

Just unzip it into ".....Documents\Out of the Park Developments\OOTP Baseball 14\storylines"
Old 08-21-2013, 11:06 PM   #96
JohnHoward
All Star Reserve

Moderator, please lock this thread before the "big men" form a circle. Thanks.

Ach, too late ...

Last edited by JohnHoward; 08-21-2013 at 11:07 PM. Reason: nope
Old 08-21-2013, 11:07 PM   #97
bailey
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Now, let's get rid of owner deaths. Teams should be SOLD like most teams are in rl.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:16 PM   #98
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Let's just make the game all about numbers and take any form of humanity or character out of it all together. We can make it as bland and dull as we can. This will go over well I am sure.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:20 PM   #99
Nunyer
All Star Reserve

Can't wait to see the protests next spring training prior to the OOTP15 release...

NO $40 FROM ME UNTIL A VIRTUAL CHILD DIES!!!
Old 08-21-2013, 11:25 PM   #100
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

I also am demanding women and old people die as well.
Closed Thread