Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 05-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #1
JPL86
Minors (Double A)

Poor talent in recent Draft Years

I have now had my 3rd Entry Draft since moving my league from OOTP13 to OOTP14, and noticed that there have been only 1 or 2 five star potential players, a few four star, and a few 3 star potential players each year. Once you get to about the 10th overal pick, they are all just 2, 1.5, 1 star potential players.

In all past Draft Pools (in OOTP13) I had about 15 - 20 five star potential players, another 15 - 20 four star & 4.5 star players, etc. It wouldn't be until the 3rd or 4th round of the draft that you would get to the 3 or 2 star players.

Is this something with OOTP14+ Or is it just a coincidence, and a leveling off of talent in my league? Maybe the game sees there is too much talent throughout the league, and is automatically adjusting the talent level???
JPL86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #2
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

I've only had one draft pool in my league imported from 13, but I noticed a lower amount of 4.5 and 5 star guys. It didn't jump out at me because the amount of high potential relievers and closers was lower, which I was happy about. In 13, there were way too many stud relievers in the draft.

I'll take a closer look when I get to my next draft pool, probably sometime next week.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:19 PM   #3
ezpkns34
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPL86 View Post
I have now had my 3rd Entry Draft since moving my league from OOTP13 to OOTP14, and noticed that there have been only 1 or 2 five star potential players, a few four star, and a few 3 star potential players each year. Once you get to about the 10th overal pick, they are all just 2, 1.5, 1 star potential players.

In all past Draft Pools (in OOTP13) I had about 15 - 20 five star potential players, another 15 - 20 four star & 4.5 star players, etc. It wouldn't be until the 3rd or 4th round of the draft that you would get to the 3 or 2 star players.

Is this something with OOTP14+ Or is it just a coincidence, and a leveling off of talent in my league? Maybe the game sees there is too much talent throughout the league, and is automatically adjusting the talent level???
If it's only happening in your league that started with OOTP13, then it's a problem with the conversion process, not with OOTP14
ezpkns34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
Mike D
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezpkns34 View Post
If it's only happening in your league that started with OOTP13, then it's a problem with the conversion process, not with OOTP14
So you mean the conversion in OOTP 14? Which means it is a problem with OOTP 14...
Old 05-10-2013, 03:41 PM   #5
TNCubsFan
Major Leagues

Scouting and development changes

I am still forming my hypotheses on this subject. I have seen that scouts now look at players with a bit more striation according to preferences. Going from my "Highly Favor Tools" scout at one end of the spectrum, to OSA, to a scout on the other end that "Highly Favor Ability"; my system turns itself on its head.

The big change I have seen is that pitchers are developing more realistically. My 8 drafts so far in 14 have been short on pitchers that just jump out and scream stud. The true #1 starter if you will. The rest of the pitchers are projects and suspects more than prospects. Then they slowly grow and improve over the next 3 to 5 years. The hard throwing guy learns a new pitch and all of a sudden you have a solid rotation guy. Another late Starting Pitcher pick never learns a new pitch or develops that show me change they teased you with on draft day. Now they are a solid set up candidate none the less. Occasionally you will get a closer candidate in the draft but after 5 years in your system some guy taken late, that throws hard from the 14th round, will improve stuff or command or movement and you get a pleasant surprise in the player development report.

In other words most of the pitching in the draft are now starters and rather average at that. Position players are a safer bet on draft day. Less risk in what is already parachuting with a lace tablecloth.

IMO Marcus and company took a huge step forward in player creation and development this year.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #6
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I'm getting consistently mediocre drafts in 14.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:53 PM   #7
Lafayette53
Major Leagues

Your playing a '13 league, right? I would guess the lower contact/gap/stuff/power ratings the game seems to be creating in '14, 13-14 contact guys seem much rarer in my leagues for instance, means you won't be seeing a "normal" amount of talent in your draft class until your version '13 talent pool retires or otherwise fizzles out.

Even then I think there is a bit less talent overall, but I'm personally fine with that change while understanding why plenty of folks wouldn't be.

Last edited by Lafayette53; 05-10-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Lafayette53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:36 PM   #8
byzeil
All Star Starter

I'm using feeder leagues and my drafts are not significantly different between v13 and v14. I've simmed 30 years down the road in both v13 and v14 (same league at the beginning) and so far the talent looks fine.
byzeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:46 PM   #9
ihatenames
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Same. I haven't thought much of it as I suspected it was a change in the scouting not the actual draft creation. Still waiting to see how it affects my league.

I am also running a converted league.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #10
SunDevil
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Summary
- MLB QuickStart
- Feeder Leagues (2 College, 2 High School)
- 30 round draft (900 Players total)
- Draft Picks can be traded.

I have now participated in 13 drafts so far with this version and excluding the first draft in 2013, I would echo the same thought. By the third round of the draft there is really nothing really left talent wise. And this me in commissioner mode, sorting by work ethic from normal up to very high and actually going into each player profile and looking at the numbers. (This is a test league of mine using the MLB quickstart)

I do use feeder leagues but before the feeder leagues finally contributing during year 4 or after the same makeup of players and the distribution of quality is lacking.

Last edited by SunDevil; 05-10-2013 at 06:58 PM.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #11
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I suspect that the player creation nerf went a bridge too far.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #12
tcblcommish
Hall Of Famer

My drafts are pretty crappy overall. Not sure if I like that or don't like that but only time will tell.
tcblcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:26 PM   #13
endgame
Hall Of Famer

At the risk of being chased with pitchforks and torches, might I at least inquire as to where this mythical- or maybe it's not -benchmark exists with which to compare draft quality? Or are we only suggesting the quality is not what it was before in previous versions? Even given that, is there such a thing as an appropiate number of highly touted prospects? Is this based on past MLB draft analysis or gut-checks?

Last edited by endgame; 05-10-2013 at 07:51 PM.
endgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:29 PM   #14
tcblcommish
Hall Of Famer

Stuff like that I would think for the most part is opinion more than fact unless someone goes through a lot of data.

Everyone has the way they play in their head I assume as to what they expect in a crop of players and if that isn't happening, will start to question.

Like I said for me, I'm not sure I like it or not, need more seasons to really know. Only had 4 drafts so far
tcblcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:51 PM   #15
ihatenames
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
At the risk of being chased with pitchforks and torches, might I at least inquire at to where this mythical- or maybe it's not -benchmark exists with which to compare draft quality? Or are we only suggesting the quality is not what it was before in previous versions? Even given that, is there such a thing as an appropiate number of highly touted prospects? Is this based on past MLB draft analysis or gut-checks?
In my case the drafts have been awful with 1 or no 5 star prospects and only a handful of prospects above 2. So It could be something wtih scouting or the classes themselves. I'm not sure. Before this thread I was just waiting it out to see how the classes developed.

So it's not that I'm trying to nitpick they have just been significantly different according to the scouting.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:36 PM   #16
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

I've had a couple of drafts in a built from scratch OOTP 14 league and have had similar results as the above.

However......

In the past drafts were pretty easy to do. There was no guesswork. There were so many five star players, particularly relievers, it was as sure thing you'd get some all star major leaguers in your first five picks if not your first ten depending on how many rounds you had.

But real drafts don't work that way. As anyone will tell you, real MLB amateur drafts are the biggest crap shoots in professional sports. No other draft compares. I see the apparent lack of talent reflecting the unpredictable nature of the real MLB draft. These guys take time to develop. If after a few years the drafts bear fruit then I won't complain. If they don't one can always tweak the creation and development modifiers.

I'm willing to see how this all plays out before I say there's something wrong.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:35 PM   #17
Righty Groove
Minors (Triple A)

I've had pretty terrible drafts aswell. I noticed that before, in OOTP13, we would get 10+ players with star potential. Some would get there, some wouldn't. I always thought late-round gems were too rare, but I would still see some here and there. Talent change randomness at 100 (default), for what it's worth.

On OOTP14, it's mostly 2 or 3 star-potential players, and a bunch of organizational-filler, as much as it's basically pointless to make selections after the 3rd round or so.

I remenber I had several saved filters for the draft, name "Top hitter DRAFT", or "mid-round hitter DRAFT", or "Top pitcher DRAFT" set to, for example, Contact Potential 60+ and Eye potential 60+. I would get several players on these filters, some better then others of course. In OOTP14, I got 2, 3 players, and was perplexed. I tought my game was broken.

So I started a new league, from scratch, not converted from 13. Got the same results. I tried contacting Markus, and got this:

Quote:
Regarding the player quality in the draft, this has been indeed changed in
OOTP 14. In prior versions, the quality on average was higher, but the
player development code decreased the talent of most of them eventually. Now
we take a different approach, with less high-quality talent, but their
chance of retaining that talent is higher than in the past. We feel this is
more realistic.

Cheers,
Markus
I would have to say I respecfully disagree. You just need to follow the draft to know, if every player projected to be an ace/all-star became one, every team would be loaded. Every draft is full of youngsters oozing potential. Of course, reality is grim and few reach those heights. I thought the game moddeled that well...
Righty Groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:42 PM   #18
Righty Groove
Minors (Triple A)

As an added note, I believe people who use feeders wil take a couple of seasons to notice the difference, since it affects player creation and, with feeders, it's 3+ years from player creation to draft day. I don't use feeders, so I noticed the drop in talent on the draft pool right away.

I'm still to see if high-potential prospects hold onto their potential at a higher degree, as Markus has indicaded. I remenber, in OOTP13, mostly with pitchers, out of every 3 high-potential draftees at least one would get hurt and/or fade badly within 2 seasons, sometimes still making an usefull n°5 starter but sometimes becoming nothing but AAA fodder.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:46 PM   #19
Righty Groove
Minors (Triple A)

To conclude, I honestly thought about going back to OOTP13 when I saw the new draft talent, but ultimately did not. If I could reverse it, though, I would.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:01 AM   #20
da commish
All Star Reserve

compensate with increased PCMs?

Can this be compensated for by increasing the PCMs? Has anyone played around with this?
da commish is offline   Reply With Quote