Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 14 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:32 AM   #1
bmm8374
Bat Boy

National Association Chicago White Stockings

My post is aimed at anyone who has attempted to do a 19th century game with the real setups (and all of the painful manual team addition/deletion that comes with it).

How would I best handle the two-year hiatus the Chicago White Stockings took in 1872-1873 (due to Chicago fire-related chaos) with respect to making sure that the 1871 history stays connected to the 1874 and beyond version of the White Stockings? My understanding of baseball history is that this club survived all of the turmoil in early baseball to eventually become the modern-day Chicago Cubs, so I definitely want the history to roll forward correctly in my sim.

The two ideas I thought of were to:

A) Simply empty the roster at 1/1/1872, force the team to stay empty by banning AI roster moves, and schedule it no games until 1874.

B) Delete it after 1871 and assign it the same abbrevations and historical IDs when reincarnating it in 1874.

Any input from people who have more experience in the OOTP historical area would be appreciated.
bmm8374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:07 AM   #2
mjj55409
All Star Starter

I usually go with option B. It works just as expected (the franchise ID is the key value).
Old 05-08-2013, 10:42 AM   #3
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmm8374 View Post
My post is aimed at anyone who has attempted to do a 19th century game with the real setups (and all of the painful manual team addition/deletion that comes with it).

How would I best handle the two-year hiatus the Chicago White Stockings took in 1872-1873 (due to Chicago fire-related chaos) with respect to making sure that the 1871 history stays connected to the 1874 and beyond version of the White Stockings? My understanding of baseball history is that this club survived all of the turmoil in early baseball to eventually become the modern-day Chicago Cubs, so I definitely want the history to roll forward correctly in my sim.

The two ideas I thought of were to:

A) Simply empty the roster at 1/1/1872, force the team to stay empty by banning AI roster moves, and schedule it no games until 1874.

B) Delete it after 1871 and assign it the same abbrevations and historical IDs when reincarnating it in 1874.

Any input from people who have more experience in the OOTP historical area would be appreciated.
I did Option b myself, but i was considering starting a FBL league and moving the team there minus the players perhaps to teh fBL til they cam back. Get rid of the FBL schedule. i have not tried this and don;t know how well it will work.
The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:09 PM   #4
elfsutton
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
I did Option b myself, but i was considering starting a FBL league and moving the team there minus the players perhaps to teh fBL til they cam back. Get rid of the FBL schedule. i have not tried this and don;t know how well it will work.
Option B works the best. I have my real history of baseball league and tbh, I think that is the only true way to keep the history. If you delete a team, even adding the other things back, doesnt do it the right way. I have (some teams have been changed and add due to evolution) in the league I mentioned, every team that has played in every league in the US. I moved them around and changed some but the other way seemed to cut them off if i remember right.
elfsutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:40 PM   #5
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

I agree with option B. How are you guys handling trades? Are you using real rosters?
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:54 AM   #6
bmm8374
Bat Boy

Thanks for the feedback. I'll go with option B (and keep a 12/31/1871 backup copy of my league in case things go awry).

At this point, I'm attempting to do the real historical structure (teams and leagues) with fictional players. I started with the Lahman DB 1871 players, randomized the names, added scrubs to have an inital draft pool of 135 players (15-man rosters X 9 teams), and set it up to use the OOTP development engine instead of auto-progression for Lahman-named players.

This was my third year purchasing OOTP, but I stuck to mostly the MLB quickstart and smaller fictional leagues to get a feel for the game in versions 12 and 13 before trying to tackle historical.

I'm eventually planning to use some version of the Spritze DBs (with real players) to run historical leagues, but after reading some of the forum posts about the challenges of playing the 19th century, I decided to experiment with just the league structure for now and introduce the player movement aspect in later games.
bmm8374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:31 AM   #7
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

I moved it to Washington in 1872 to be the Nationals, and plan to move it to Baltimore to spend 1873 as the Marylands before going back to Chicago to stay in 1874. If I had it to do over again, I think I'd move it to Middletown and Elizabeth, which is what I did with the Fort Wayne team. Or I could leave the Chicago franchise in Washington for 1873 and move the Olympics to Baltimore, just deleting that shortlived franchise when I have to go down to 8 teams for 1874.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis

Last edited by swampdragon; 05-09-2013 at 11:35 AM.
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:42 PM   #8
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

There are so many Washington Nationals. I think one year there were was 1 in the NL and AA.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:43 PM   #9
elfsutton
All Star Reserve

Washington Nationals, Capitals, Blue Legs, and Senators were all in one or more leagues for most of the early years. They didnt seem to last long, one or two years at a time till the Senators ended up in the original AL teams.
elfsutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #10
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

THE browns can get confusing too. I think a few folded and one became the cardinals. The browns that became the orioles started in milwaukee i believe.
Even the AL teams didnt really start in1901. The Whitrsox were in Minnesota and started in Sioux City but you cant count that cause iit was in a minor league.