Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 05-11-2013, 08:25 PM   #21
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

I also assume there is no way to do this for the MLB, since there are two leagues with different numbers (DH)
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:39 PM   #22
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
I also assume there is no way to do this for the MLB, since there are two leagues with different numbers (DH)
No the game engine is very good at adjusting the sacrifice rate realistically. The batting and ERA numbers have always been good. DP well that requires some work in all leagues no matter what the level. GB% is also way off. I adjust both of these manually every year for every league and level.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:15 AM   #23
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

This should really be better "out of the box"
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:12 PM   #24
Rastafreaky
Minors (Double A)

Alright, this is driving me crazy. I've followed your directions exactly and my totals keep getting reset when the league opening night rolls around. Is there a particular time of the year these should be set? Anybody else having this issue? Thanks!
Rastafreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:48 PM   #25
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastafreaky View Post
Alright, this is driving me crazy. I've followed your directions exactly and my totals keep getting reset when the league opening night rolls around. Is there a particular time of the year these should be set? Anybody else having this issue? Thanks!
Same here

Edit-

I changed the minor league year from 2008 to 2013 and the Totals did not change the following year.

Are we suppose to hit auto calc after we plug in the numbers? The AAA leagues look reasonable but the AA & A leagues have league BA's around .230 and sometimes even lower. I followed every step except I hit auto calc which was not mentioned in the OP

Last edited by SirMichaelJordan; 06-16-2013 at 02:18 PM.
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #26
Rastafreaky
Minors (Double A)

I'll bump this. So looks like the questions for those who have had success with this:
1.) Should we hit the "Auto-Calc Modifiers" button after we put in the accurate 2012 numbers?
2.) Should the "Automatically adjust league totals modifiers for accuracy" box be checked?
3.) Does it matter what the "Historical Year" is set at. Defaults to 2008 for some reason.

Also, if the MLB totals are exactly right out of the box, why aren't the MiLB totals set correctly out of the box?
Old 06-18-2013, 02:30 PM   #27
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'll bump this. So looks like the questions for those who have had success with this:
1.) Should we hit the "Auto-Calc Modifiers" button after we put in the accurate 2012 numbers?
2.) Should the "Automatically adjust league totals modifiers for accuracy" box be checked?
3.) Does it matter what the "Historical Year" is set at. Defaults to 2008 for some reason.

Also, if the MLB totals are exactly right out of the box, why aren't the MiLB totals set correctly out of the box?
Yea, I followed every step and I do not get anything close to the actual MiLB numbers...HR for example are way off.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:43 PM   #28
OldFatGuy
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Good stuff. I've been doing this since v9 and it makes everything work better. Before autocalc I used an excel spreadsheet to fix the modifiers.
Sorry to respond to such an old post, but I just saw this today.

Could you briefly explain to an imbecile how you go about "fixing" the modifiers? I don't understand this at all. I didn't know one ever had to "fix" the modifiers. I was under the impression if you put in all new League totals, as is being done in this thread, that all you needed to do then was set all the League Modifiers to 1.000. Guess I'm wrong again.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:54 PM   #29
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMichaelJordan View Post
Same here

Edit-

I changed the minor league year from 2008 to 2013 and the Totals did not change the following year.

Are we suppose to hit auto calc after we plug in the numbers? The AAA leagues look reasonable but the AA & A leagues have league BA's around .230 and sometimes even lower. I followed every step except I hit auto calc which was not mentioned in the OP
Do you have a year in the top box or a check mark in the automatically adjust box?

One (likely the year) or both, may cause the problem. If you put a year in it will fill the league with the MLB totals for that year. This shouldn't happen but that's a battle for another day.

Automatically adjust just seems too reactive to me. I've not tested it so I may not be accurate.

To get close, and when I say close I mean + - 25% on some of the totals you need to put the RL totals in (in the screenshot that is the RL totals for the Texas League in 2009), do not have a year picked, and don't check the automatically adjust box.

See below. Note that I'm in ST right now. I wait until the day before opening day if possible in each league before doing Auto calc. I also adjust some modifiers that Auto calc doesn't get right (GB% for one), but that's my OCD showing.
Attached Images

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
Old 06-18-2013, 03:33 PM   #30
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Do you have a year in the top box or a check mark in the automatically adjust box?

One (likely the year) or both, may cause the problem. If you put a year in it will fill the league with the MLB totals for that year. This shouldn't happen but that's a battle for another day.

Automatically adjust just seems too reactive to me. I've not tested it so I may not be accurate.

To get close, and when I say close I mean + - 25% on some of the totals you need to put the RL totals in (in the screenshot that is the RL totals for the Texas League in 2009), do not have a year picked, and don't check the automatically adjust box.

See below. Note that I'm in ST right now. I wait until the day before opening day if possible in each league before doing Auto calc. I also adjust some modifiers that Auto calc doesn't get right (GB% for one), but that's my OCD showing.
Yes, I have been playing with the auto adjust check (I actually had control in game engine checked swell) but I did not select a year.

I'll try and sim with both options unchecked. I also ran auto calc with my RL MiLB totals just now with both options unchecked and most of my modifiers are sub 1.000 (position error modifiers as well) the complete opposite of your screen shot. I guess I'll see how this goes

Last edited by SirMichaelJordan; 06-18-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #31
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
Sorry to respond to such an old post, but I just saw this today.

Could you briefly explain to an imbecile how you go about "fixing" the modifiers? I don't understand this at all. I didn't know one ever had to "fix" the modifiers. I was under the impression if you put in all new League totals, as is being done in this thread, that all you needed to do then was set all the League Modifiers to 1.000. Guess I'm wrong again.
Yes you are but don't feel bad. Markus has created such a complex (and realistic) game that I suspect he cannot sufficiently control talent distribution across multiple levels of minor leagues. I also suspect that he is trying to control it, just read the recent threads on the draft talent variations in v14. If he is successful we may stop having these threads and the game will approach perfection.

The modifiers produced via Auto Calc help smooth out imbalances in talent distribution in the minors by simulating 3 seasons (possibly 2) and comparing the statistical output to the entered league totals. Multiple seasons are needed because the development and aging modules have random variations built in, so league talent distribution will vary at different times in the year. Using one year may cause too wide a variance in the modifiers produced. That being said I'd like to have the option to vary the years simmed. Injuries and retirement also affect talent distribution at a lower level. CEI and SEI take players out of the talent pool. So will human player creation or ratings changes. For example if one were to enhance the DP ratings and arm for all SS in a league the resulting talent variation may result in more DP and less hits than the projected league output. That in turn may result in a lower modifier for DP and a higher modifier for hits. That's just an example to illustrate the effect.

So the league total modifiers via auto calc are a snapshot of talent distribution in a given league with respect to the actual league totals. Keep in mind this includes negative talent ie catcher passed balls and pitchers wild pitches.

If you see a low modifier it means that the talent or ratings for that output league wise is high. A high modifier means that the talent or ratings for that output league wise is low. If your actual stat output in a particular league say home runs exceeds the league totals then it is possible that batters ratings and talent went up or that pitchers talent and ratings went down or more likely a combination of both. If you see a modifier close to 1 then the talent or ratings for that output is just right or in the Goldilocks zone.

I'm rambling now and I may not have answered your calculation question. I'll post later.

RichW

Old 06-18-2013, 07:40 PM   #32
Rastafreaky
Minors (Double A)

Thanks for the input RchW. Looks like we were getting it wrong because of step 4 in the OP.

Also, regarding this:
"3.) Does it matter what the "Historical Year" is set at. Defaults to 2008 for some reason."

We are talking about the year on the top left of the screen, not the one directly under "League Totals" that you highlight above.

So you click the auto-calc button once a season, right? I still wonder why these are so screwy out of the box?
Old 06-18-2013, 07:53 PM   #33
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks for the input RchW. Looks like we were getting it wrong because of step 4 in the OP.

Also, regarding this:
"3.) Does it matter what the "Historical Year" is set at. Defaults to 2008 for some reason."

We are talking about the year on the top left of the screen, not the one directly under "League Totals" that you highlight above.

So you click the auto-calc button once a season, right? I still wonder why these are so screwy out of the box?
No, there is an explanation right under that box.

As for step 4 I'm not sure it is the problem. More likely to be the year.

I have not done any work on automatic adjustment so I must defer to the OP on that.

RichW

Last edited by RchW; 06-18-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:22 PM   #34
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

seem to be working much better with nothing checked at the major or minor league levels. Only pain so far is making sure to auto calc at the right times and changing the position error modification back to 1.000 for the minor leagues. Auto calc give me low error mods and with that, teams errors are way off.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:48 PM   #35
oman19
All Star Starter

Double post

My OOTP wishlist: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...-wishlist.html
oman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #36
oman19
All Star Starter

Alright quick question. What does it do when you check the box to automatically adjust league modifiers for accuracy?

I manually type in the totals I'm looking for. I'm looking for league totals for a standard MLB set up where both leagues use the DH but the league starts in 1903 and the stats are close to today's numbers.

I was under the impression if you change the historical year to 2013 it will use those custom totals that I want checking that box will run like an auto -calc so your league will stay close to those numbers.

Is this right to get what I'm looking for? Or I should say will this keep using these numbers now for the life of my league and it will adjust the modifiers on it's own?
Attached Images

My OOTP wishlist: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...-wishlist.html
oman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:22 PM   #37
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

For Those Looking For Accurate MiLB Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman19 View Post
Alright quick question. What does it do when you check the box to automatically adjust league modifiers for accuracy?

I manually type in the totals I'm looking for. I'm looking for league totals for a standard MLB set up where both leagues use the DH but the league starts in 1903 and the stats are close to today's numbers.

I was under the impression if you change the historical year to 2013 it will use those custom totals that I want checking that box will run like an auto -calc so your league will stay close to those numbers.

Is this right to get what I'm looking for? Or I should say will this keep using these numbers now for the life of my league and it will adjust the modifiers on it's own?
In my experience (could be wrong) it works how you mention but enabling it seem to link the major league totals to ur minors. So your minor league totals wouldnt even matter.

If you do keep it on, I suggest disabling "control in game engine" as that would muck up ur minor league stats.

Disabling it would give you major league stats in a minor league environment (all leagues will have a BABIP of .300 and BA of about .255)

Last edited by SirMichaelJordan; 06-19-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #38
clamel
All Star Starter

I am at a loss on this.
I used the excel-file (earlier in this thread) to punch in the AAA-leagues numbers, then I hit auto-calc modifier and bang those numbers looks strange

From .400 to 2.200 in the modifier column. The biggest about 2.200 is on Strikeouts.

The difference from the numbers in the league Totals.xls file on some, like AB is staggering. about 165000 before changing, down to about 60000 in this file.
The difference in 2b,3b,HR,SO and such are also very much different.

I guess it has to do with MiLB is very different than MLB numbers, and when you select year it´s the MLB numbers that pops up in the League totals.
However change these numbers and getting modifier pct that is so way off 1.000 looks strange.
I do have checked auto adjust too, but that will not take effect until later years I think.

The key question is by clicking on auto-calc modifier button, I wonder what these new numbers have created ?

Last edited by clamel; 06-20-2013 at 09:53 AM.
clamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:37 PM   #39
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamel View Post
I am at a loss on this.
I used the excel-file (earlier in this thread) to punch in the AAA-leagues numbers, then I hit auto-calc modifier and bang those numbers looks strange

From .400 to 2.200 in the modifier column. The biggest about 2.200 is on Strikeouts.

The difference from the numbers in the league Totals.xls file on some, like AB is staggering. about 165000 before changing, down to about 60000 in this file.
The difference in 2b,3b,HR,SO and such are also very much different.

I guess it has to do with MiLB is very different than MLB numbers, and when you select year it´s the MLB numbers that pops up in the League totals.
However change these numbers and getting modifier pct that is so way off 1.000 looks strange.
I do have checked auto adjust too, but that will not take effect until later years I think.

The key question is by clicking on auto-calc modifier button, I wonder what these new numbers have created ?
The key point is that only the modifiers should change. The league totals you entered should not. If they do something is not right. See post 29. Don't be overly concerned about a big modifier change especially in the first season. Remember you have changed the totals that reflected MLB rates of occurance to minor league totals that may be significantly different. That can account for big variations.

RichW

Old 07-24-2013, 09:45 PM   #40
Mud Hen
Bat Boy

Step Four: Check the automatically adjust league totals modifiers for accuracy box(that and the box below will now both be checked)

When I go to step 4 the 2nd box (Automatically Control In Game Engine only recommended for minors) remains grayed out.

Any suggestions?
Mud Hen is offline   Reply With Quote