Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 04-18-2013, 09:16 PM   #21
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer

Going into September of 2014 and my Twins are 2 games behind the White Sox for the Central title but holds one of the two Wild Card spots. I let Morneau go during the offseason(he signed a nice contract to DH for the Yankees) and had planned to use Chris Parmelee as my 1st baseman but he got injured pretty early on and I just got a message on 9/1 saying his career is done so one way or another I'm going to need a 1st baseman this offseason.
"The Minneapolis Lakers moved to Los Angeles, where there are no lakes; The Oilers moved to Tennessee where there is no oil; the Jazz moved to Salt Lake City where they don't allow music; The Oakland Raiders moved to Los Angeles and then back to Oakland, no one in Los Angeles seemed to notice."

Note to self: Princess Kenny was really off-putting.
megamanmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:26 PM   #22
Klew1986
Hall Of Famer

Starting a 2013 Marlins game!! Wish me luck.
Klew1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:31 PM   #23
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klew1986 View Post
Starting a 2013 Marlins game!! Wish me luck.
Good luck!

Well my Twins are in the playoffs by the skin of their teeth but two of my starters are on the DL so I'm thinking it will be a typical Twins postseason.
"The Minneapolis Lakers moved to Los Angeles, where there are no lakes; The Oilers moved to Tennessee where there is no oil; the Jazz moved to Salt Lake City where they don't allow music; The Oakland Raiders moved to Los Angeles and then back to Oakland, no one in Los Angeles seemed to notice."

Old 04-18-2013, 09:39 PM   #24
Klew1986
Hall Of Famer

Nice! I'm a huge Twins fan in real life. Have been to 3 games already this year. Live 15-20 minutes from Target Field.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:42 PM   #25
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer

Awesome. I am too. I live in Lakeville, about 30 minutes south of Minneapolis on 35.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #26
Klew1986
Hall Of Famer

Nice. I'm in Edina (insert Edina Cake Eater joke).
Old 04-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #27
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klew1986 View Post
Nice. I'm in Edina (insert Edina Cake Eater joke).

At least it's not Eden Prairie.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:56 PM   #28
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer

Hey! Twins beat Oakland 3-1 to go to the Division Championship!

Old 04-18-2013, 11:02 PM   #29
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer

Well we took the White Sox to 5 games in the Division Championship but they won the series. Still playoffs in 2 years is good.

edit: Chicago White Sox end up losing the World Series to the Braves 4 games to 3.

Last edited by megamanmatt; 04-18-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:05 AM   #30
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer

Well I'm off to bed so last little update until then:

Mauer won the batting title and Gardy won Manager of the Year but no other hardware for any players. Lost Willingham to the ChiSox via free agency.

Opening Day 2015 and we've got the 2nd best farm system(including top overall prospect) and are predicted to go 3rd in the Central. Only notable free agent pick ups are Wandy Rodriguez and Brandon Marrow to hopefully fill some holes in my rotation.

Last edited by megamanmatt; 04-19-2013 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:08 AM   #31
Mantush
Minors (Double A)

The 2015 season just concluded in my game. My Red Sox went 86-76, good enough for third place in the AL East. The Rays won the division, and the Orioles won second place. Baltimore lost the play-in game, and the Rays went on to the ALCS where they were defeated by the Angels in six. The World Series was Milkwaukee vs. Los Angeles, and Los Angeles swept the Brewers. Pujols hit six HRs in the four game World Series.

I began my off-season with a trade: LHP Felix Doubront and OF Alex Hassan to the Phillies in exchange for IF Cory Seager and OF Dominic Smith. Then, I moved C Ryan Lavarnway to the Cardinals for IF Ryan Jackson.

I let John Axford, James Shields, Pedro Ciracio, Dustin Pedroia, Russel Martin, Lance Berkman, Delmon Young, Andrew Bailey, Shane Victorino, and Steven Wright leave for free agency. To replace them, I brought in Mike Morse, Brandon League, Boone Logan, Clayton Kershaw, Bobby Parnell, Jed Lowrie, Justin Upton, and Yoenis Cespedes. I picked up all these guys in free agency. Upton cost me my first round pick, which is fine - he's worth it.

The players I brought in cost me a little less than 50 million total on the season, which brings my 2016 payroll to the paltry sum of 80 million - 24th lowest in the league, and lowest in the AL East.

My 2016 season is relying on rebounds from Xander Bogaerts (.935 OPS in rookie season dropped to .691 as a sophomore), Jackie Bradley Jr. (.785 OPS in 2014 to .702 OPS in 2015), and Will Middlebrooks (.896 OPS in 2015 to .786 OPS in 2015). Not only that, but I need John Hicks to play as he did in his freshman season - .301/.333/.512 slash with 26 HRs and a 30% CS rate. Matt Adams repeating his 2015 season would be great, and Mike Morse OPSing above .800 would be gravy (as he's my DH).

Matt Barnes will be my fifth starter to begin the year, as well. My team is a good mix of veterans and youngsters. Kershaw is the oldest member of my rotation, and he's only 27. I'm hoping that this strategy - small payroll, value free agents, solid farm system - will bring me success. Last year was the first year that I didn't make the playoffs, and I think shedding a ton of salary and adding two superstars (Upton, Kershaw) to complement my core (Bogaerts, Jerez, Bradley, Middlebrooks) will propel me to the promised land. If not, I'll scale back scouting and player development funds to go hog-wild in Free Agency. I am desperate for a championship.

Here are a few screenshots. The stats don't pop out at you, but I think it has a lot of potential. If my pitching staff can harness its potential (rather than squander it again), I will be competing for years to come.
Attached Images
Image Image 

Last edited by Mantush; 04-19-2013 at 02:09 AM.
Mantush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:44 AM   #32
zerozero31
Minors (Single A)

Like @Canuck, I've started out as the Cubs. Lots of money to spend and with low expectations from the owner (play .500 ball, even I should manage that) so looking forward to a pleasant season scouting and rebuilding for next year. Currently playing .500 now. After 2 games. Oh, if the season could end now, I'd have one happy owner!
zerozero31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:47 AM   #33
zerozero31
Minors (Single A)

Hey @Mantush - how are the Orioles doing in your league?
zerozero31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:10 AM   #34
Mantush
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerozero31 View Post
Hey @Mantush - how are the Orioles doing in your league?
The team is abysmal after a good season last year. Orioles are 52-50, ten and a half behind my Sox, on July 28. Bundy has been insane though - getting screwed by a terrible defense. He has a 4.39 ERA, 157 Ks, 42 BBs, and 13 HRs allowed in 121 IP, which surmounts to an ace-like 3.29 FIP. Machado has also been amazing; has a casual .330/.385/.500 slash with 12 HRs and 57 RBIs, totaling around 3.8 WAR (+.11 of that from defense). He's transitioning over to SS now. Orioles have called up a 26 year old David Vidal, rated 6-7-7-4-4 on a 2-8 scale. Vidal had a 1000+ OPS in Triple-A. They acquired him from the Reds a few days before for Brian Wilson and a 21 year old game-generated pitching prospect.

The Orioles went wrong when they traded Gausman to the Diamondbacks for Cahill. Cahill's been struggling with a 5.23 ERA and a 4.35 FIP. Gausman recently threw a no-hitter against the Pittsburgh Pirates, striking out 9 and walking 2. Unfortunately, Gausman has been limited to cups of coffee with the Diamondbacks. I don't know why. Outside of Skaggs and Bradley (and maybe Colby Lewis), he's their best starting pitcher.

In Red Sox news, I broke my own heart when I traded Xander Bogaerts and Ty Buttery to the Chicago White Sox for Dayan Viciedo. The 23 year old Aruban began his career with an impressive 147 OPS+ back in 2014, but that number has declined recently (to 83 in 2015 and 91 in 2016). He's considered a change-of-scenery candidate. He can still put things together. The other player Chicago received, Ty Buttrey, has been lights out at High-A Salem this year. 143 Ks, 46 BBs, and 14 HRs allowed in 144 innings of work. Buttrey's twenty three, but his stuff is major league ready - just needs to refine his command and control and he'll either fill out as a middle of the rotation starter or high-leverage reliever.

Viciedo, on the other hand, is having a good year. He's on pace to hit 44 HRs with a .270 AVG and .340 OBP this year. He was added to the roster following both the trade and a Mike Morse DFA. Jose Vinicio was called up from Pawtucket to take over SS.
Mantush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:08 AM   #35
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer

2015 MN Twins on opening day.
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #36
AC
Minors (Double A)

Using the MLB quickstart, I contracted the Blue Jays, Royals, Astros, Marlins, Pirates and Padres before releasing all players and doing an initial draft w/ fixed draft budgets for the remaining teams. I know the AI can be a little wonky in the initial draft, but it's how I love to play.

I am the Twins and had the 12th overall pick with a draft budget of $80 million. I picked Giancarlo Stanton in the first round. After the draft, I traded Stanton, a four-star potential SS, a 3.5 star potential SP and a four-star potential closer for Bryce Harper. Harper was picked 11th overall.

I tried to trade for Mike Trout first, but no offer I made was good enough to get Trout, who was picked third overall.

This was my opening-day lineup, rotation and bullpen:
1. Ben Zobrist, LF
2. Yonder Alonso, 1B
3. Bryce Harper, RF
4. Todd Frazier, 3B
5. Carlos Gomez, CF
6. Ryan Hanigan, C
7. Yuniel Escobar, SS
8. Jurickson Profar, 2B
9. Pitcher slot

Rotation:
1. Justin Verlander (nabbed him in round 7. Assuming teams didn't want to touch his massive salary)
2. Yvonni Gallardo (when he was still sober)
3. Max Scherzer
4. Matt Harvey
5. Wade Miley

Bullpen
MR Greg Holland
MR Jake McGee
MR Al Albaquerque
SU Aroldis Chapman
SU Vinnie Pestano
CL Craig Kimbrel

Bench
OF Ben Revere
C Miguel Olivo
IF Clint Barmes
IF Trevor Plouffe

So far I am rolling at 29-11 (I mange all of my games). Matt Harvey has been a stud (ERA under 2.50). Verlander has been decent (3-3 with a 3.25 ERA), Gallardo has had one terrible start, but otherwise has been great, and Miley is struggling w/ an ERA around 5.50.

The bullpen has been lights out. The AI left a lot of good/great reliever on the board in later rounds, so I shrugged and started taking them. Kimbrel is 15 for 17 in save opps and Chapman has 15 holds (just lost his first game for me the other day).

Zobrist and Frazier are each out for a month with various injuries and Harper has cooled off after a hot start. Gomez also started the season hot, but has cooled down. Ditto for Escobar.

Alonso was terrible the first month, but has gotten hot recently. Same for Hanigan.

Runs are a little hard to come by at the moment, but Profar has been great the last week. He's really streaky. His average will climb to around .280, then tailspin back down to .225 before going back up again.

Enough of my rambling, time to play some more......
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:02 PM   #37
Grafton19
Major Leagues

Took over the Yankees, but traded A-Rod and Robinson Cano before he's deal was up so I didn't have to pay him 20 million a year..
Grafton19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:57 PM   #38
jotro
Minors (Double A)

I'm playing an alternate history where the Continental League actually took the field in direct competition with MLB, instead of as a proposed third major league within the MLB structure.

Teams are: Brooklyn Atlantics, Atlanta Pilots, Houston Colt .45s, Denver Bears, Ottawa Capitals, Dallas Chaparrals, Buffalo Upstatesmen and Minnesota Twins, with planned expansion coming in a few seasons.

I'm controlling the Brooklyn Atlantics, and we just completed the inaugural 1961 season of the Continental League as Continental Cup champions after defeating the Atlanta Pilots 4 games to 3.

The biggest surprise of the season was the LA Dodger's inexplicable release of Sandy Koufax and his midseason return to Brooklyn via free agency.
jotro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:04 PM   #39
Storm
Minors (Triple A)

I signed RA Dickey in December of 2016, and he retired to begin a broadcast career in January of 2017. I am not happy. This must be a bug; retiring at the end of the season I can see, but not in the middle of the off-season after receiving the largest contract of his career at 43.
Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:10 PM   #40
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

Storyline, probably, though I'm not sure how the retirement algorithm makes its decisions.
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote