Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:24 AM   #1
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

19th Century Teams, Leagues and Franchises

Attached is a 19th Century Teams list for possible proposal for ootp 19.

Questions are as follows....

1) Does ootp still require 2 leagues 1871-1900?
2) Will NA and AA work or is NL and AL required?
3) Are the franchises tracked in the attached file acceptable?

One of the things learned in ootp17 was that gamers hated teams and leagues blinking on and off so this file avoids that as much as possible by having very few 1 or 2 year franchises exist. Most track to a current MLB franchise. Unhistorical but necessary.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 19thCenturyTeams.csv (65.1 KB, 424 views)
Old 07-19-2017, 11:20 AM   #2
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

like it! Of course, there will be those who desire the exact 19th century world (including the 50 ft home to pitchers mound.). To me, this looks like a good compromise to make it work as a major league. Hopefully the powers that be will like it so that OOTP can have a better pre-1901 world.

thanks for the work.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:52 PM   #3
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

By using the real teams rookies will appear on the correct rosters automagically.

The real schedules already in the game can be used as well. For years where there was only one league the real schedules could be updated to "inter-league" and that could stitch the NL and AL together?

A real transaction file could also be accommodated?
Old 07-19-2017, 08:18 PM   #4
Elysian Fields
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritze View Post
Attached is a 19th Century Teams list for possible proposal for ootp 19.

Questions are as follows....

1) Does ootp still require 2 leagues 1871-1900?
2) Will NA and AA work or is NL and AL required?
3) Are the franchises tracked in the attached file acceptable?
My answer to question 1 is no. My answer to question 2 is yes. My answer to question 3 is yes. I like it and would play it. Great work.

Someone needs to use this to make a set of 19th century uniforms.

http://www.threadsofourgame.com/login/
Elysian Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 01:02 PM   #5
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

I would have to say that i am one that prefers all the real teams but i think the list is an improvement for those who wish to start in 1871.

For the questions
1 is no but i think you have to disable playoffs or use a custom playoffs.
2. I believe AL or NL must be used to get rookies to import to correct teams.
3. I think they will be for ones who just want to start in 1871. They be helpful for people like me that want the duplicated chaos of the beginnings of baseball.

Transactions should not be a problem as i have been able to do with all the real teams and rosters. You may have to watch injury setting. I have a trans action list based on the real player movement but in some cases i had to estimate a trade date. When i did i had to be aware of the roster size and choose a date in which a team would not fall below 9 players.

So if i was able to do it with the real roster moves i'm sure your custom transaction file would work with the proposal.
I would prefer not to have the AL till 1901 but i know others may prefer to have the AL and NL.
I like the progress and that is from someone that using real owners
as well.

If this works maybe eventually we can have an option for the real teams and expansion in the future.

Last edited by BaseballMan; 07-20-2017 at 06:49 PM.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:54 PM   #6
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

The real teams are 100% included.

Just finished a first run. Only glitch is that after the 1900 season the AL resets and all its history is erased. The NL does not reset. Anyone know why? I know the leagues are fake but I do not know why the NL does not reset as well.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:19 PM   #7
WFIL73
Minors (Single A)

#1 my answer would be no. I do have only one league, but you do have to have the AL with no teams, it's not really a problem in any way. But it would be nice to have just one league (NL) from 1876-1900 and then not have the reset issue when the AL is created in 1901
#2 I always start in 1871 with the NA with no sub leagues, then create an NL in 1876 with an empty AL sub league and delete the NA. I always create the AA, UA, and PL from scratch as major leagues. I then delete the leagues manually. If they can be created automatically that would be wonderful.
#3 I've always had the real teams and set the correct historical team ID's from that Lahman database ages ago and the rookies always load to the correct team except in the manually created leagues, yes you can have the database load them up for the AA, but then that years' database would be loaded twice and everyone is a double. Every year. If somehow the database can load one time with rookies going to correct teams in any and all leagues would be Neal Armstrong.

I understand that some people don't like the one or two year franchises, but that's what happened. If you don't want that then modify. As is there's just a few clicks and the schedules can be loaded for every league pretty easily.
WFIL73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:55 AM   #8
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

has the reset issue been around long? it strikes me as completely unacceptable given that ootp has required the use of the nl and al league designations since ootp12 or so.

i'll try only using nl in the next test but I bet al franchises in the nl will get reset as well.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:42 AM   #9
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The real teams are 100% included.

Just finished a first run. Only glitch is that after the 1900 season the AL resets and all its history is erased. The NL does not reset. Anyone know why? I know the leagues are fake but I do not know why the NL does not reset as well.
It may have something to do with the real AL started in 1901.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:44 AM   #10
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Are you guys able to get rookies to import to correct teams in ootp18?
I could with 17 but not 18.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:53 PM   #11
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
By using the real teams rookies will appear on the correct rosters automagically.

The real schedules already in the game can be used as well. For years where there was only one league the real schedules could be updated to "inter-league" and that could stitch the NL and AL together?

A real transaction file could also be accommodated?
How can you use the as-played schedules in the game when they are set up for one subleague and you have two?
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:31 AM   #12
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Hopefully we will wind up with just one in the end. Right now logging bugs is a priority. Once bugs are squashed more shenanigans will ensue,

Franchises being reset in 1901 is a huge bug and there may be more?
Old 07-22-2017, 01:27 AM   #13
WFIL73
Minors (Single A)

I don't play with expansion on. I control the fate of the franchises. After the 1888 season all players on Detroit are released, and the whole coaching staff is fired, and then the team is deleted. And then Cleveland (or whoever it is) is transferred from the AA to the NL. And a new AA team is created.
I only have the database load in the NL and then have the AA teams sign their correct rookies from the free agent list, or wait till the preseason and turn off financials and sign them without cash. I've done it that way more times. Kind of depends on how realistic you want.
I wish I could say more about the schedules, but I forget if they are all ok or if I modified them to have 2 subleagues years ago.
Since I have expansion off and no AL teams in the 19th century I don't think I've encountered the reset issue. At least not in 16 or 17. I once created the Western League that became the AL as a minor league, played it through the 90's with ghost players and then moved the teams to the AL subleague in 1901.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:59 AM   #14
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

The reset issue is a AL franchise only issue. NL franchises work fine back to 1871. I have not played 19th century since OOTP15 and the issue did not exist then. Somewhere along the way since then this bug was inadvertently added.

NL, AA, NA, PL and UA schedules used to exist in game and hopefully still do.

The reason I stopped playing 19th century was that it was too fictional for me but with all the changes made to add the minor leagues and the negro leagues I was hoping things had improved as indeed they appear to have. There are just a couple of bugs that need fixing and then things may be looking up.

The goal might be to make 19th century play as easy as 20th century.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:38 AM   #15
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Test using a single league fails in 1871. Appears 2 leagues are required out-of-the-box.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:10 PM   #16
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Test using a single league fails in 1871. Appears 2 leagues are required out-of-the-box.
Are you saying creating a single league failed or that 2 leagues with teams are required?
I know you can have one league empty.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:00 PM   #17
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballMan View Post
Are you saying creating a single league failed Yes or that 2 leagues with teams are required? Also Yes
I know you can have one league empty.
This will be the next test.

Seems like none of this has been improved in years and a horrific new bug (AL franchise reset) added.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:38 PM   #18
WFIL73
Minors (Single A)

How accurate do want to be? The game will always load 2 subleagues and only 12 teams in 1871. To be really real you need play 19th with everything off and you have to manually do most things. It's been like that for a number of versions.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:46 PM   #19
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

I think the key to it not crashing is turning off all star game, disabling or using custom playoff.
I setup and ran a league in 1871.
Expansion however is another story.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:07 AM   #20
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

What happens if...
1. You just create an 1871 historical league.
2. You disable playoffs, disable the initial draft, and don't check automatic expansion. Some of the teams import correctly, and the other players get put in the free agent pool, where you can use commish powers to put them on the correct clubs.
3. You empty out the American League, add Fort Wayne, and import the as-played schedule for the NL.
4. You then handle expansion manually during the offseason, importing the next year's schedule at the start of the preseason. UA and PL are added for their single years of existence as minor leagues and then deleted.
5. Check automatic expansion after you play the 1901 season. Maybe if everything stays the same the AL won't reset.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote