Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.8 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 6 Available

Offseason Discount! SAVE 50%!

  

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 20 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2019, 06:00 PM   #1
David Watts
Hall Of Famer
 
David Watts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Looking for a place called Leehofooks
Posts: 6,559
Thanks: 4,514
Thanked 4,508x in 2,359 posts
Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Should be an interesting September

Roughly 26 games remaining. Detroit and St. Louis could go down to the last game. The Boston Americans have fallen to 6 games back, but I don't rule them out. Mantle is having a great season and they could be right back in it with a hot streak.

In the NL the Cardinals have a 5 1/2 game lead over the Beaneaters.
Name:  repair_my_good_name_1902-09-01_15-53-18.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  406.1 KB
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
actionjackson (11-03-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 09:30 AM   #2
David Watts
Hall Of Famer
 
David Watts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Looking for a place called Leehofooks
Posts: 6,559
Thanks: 4,514
Thanked 4,508x in 2,359 posts
Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Ah I was right when I said don't count the Americans out above. The Tigers got their magic number down to 5 and then couldn't buy a win. Meanwhile, Boston got hot. Next thing you know the two teams a tied. That's when Detroit woke up and decided enough was enough. Rumor has it Gaylord Perry held a closed door players only meeting and let it be known the team was going to the series or else. Not sure what the or else was, but it worked.

The World Series is set. Detroit Tigers vs St. Louis Cardinals. I still have the final weekend of the season to play. Schedules were so strange back then. The NL started the season and played close to a week before the AL played game one. When the season ends, the AL completes their 140 games about a week before the NL wraps up theirs. The AL team should be well rested going into the series.

Meanwhile Brooklyn secured themselves the 1st pick in the upcoming amateur draft with Washington nabbing the 2nd pick.

Have to think Mickey Mantle is the front runner for the AL MVP. Mickey took home the MVP trophy last year as well. In the NL I predict the MVP goes to Mike Trout, but Honus Wagner should make it a close race. Trout has 9+ WAR and I think that will be enough to push him past Wagner in the end. Honus is the NL batting champion. He's hitting .370 with 2 or 3 games remaining.

Last edited by David Watts; 11-04-2019 at 10:11 AM.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
actionjackson (11-04-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 08:11 PM   #3
David Watts
Hall Of Famer
 
David Watts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Looking for a place called Leehofooks
Posts: 6,559
Thanks: 4,514
Thanked 4,508x in 2,359 posts
Infractions: 0/1 (1)
1902 World Series is in the book. The St. Louis Cardinals take 4 straight to sweep the Tigers. The National League is now 8 and 0 in World Series play. To rub salt in the Tigers wounds, Brandon Inge was name series MVP.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
actionjackson (11-05-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 08:49 PM   #4
David Watts
Hall Of Famer
 
David Watts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Looking for a place called Leehofooks
Posts: 6,559
Thanks: 4,514
Thanked 4,508x in 2,359 posts
Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Oh Oh Action, I don't think it will take you long to spot the issue.Name:  repair_my_good_name_1902-12-16_18-47-48.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  268.7 KB
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 01:05 AM   #5
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer
 
actionjackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 5,280
Thanks: 7,693
Thanked 3,167x in 1,947 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Oh Oh Action, I don't think it will take you long to spot the issue.Attachment 657190
Ted Williams before Jeurys Familia? Are you bleepin' kidding me? I call shenanigans. It's obvious this sim is a sham, and utterly, completely unrealistic.
__________________
"Tests have shown that suspicious or hostile
Their lives need not be shortened
Truth be told, they can live a long, long while
Tickled to death by their importance...

He said, you made me scared too, I wasn't sure I was getting through
I gotta go
It's been a pleasure doing business with you"

- RIP Gord Downie (The Tragically Hip) February 6th, 1964 - October 17th, 2017
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:17 AM   #6
David Watts
Hall Of Famer
 
David Watts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Looking for a place called Leehofooks
Posts: 6,559
Thanks: 4,514
Thanked 4,508x in 2,359 posts
Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
Ted Williams before Jeurys Familia? Are you bleepin' kidding me? I call shenanigans. It's obvious this sim is a sham, and utterly, completely unrealistic.
Can you imagine the stories to come in future years talking about how the Reds passed on the Splendid Splinter for the honor of drafting Sergio Romo? But, then there's the Giants. The Giants took Jeremy Bonderman over Williams. Insane. When Bonderman announces he no longer is having fun playing baseball, Williams will probably be earning a triple crown.


In other news, has there ever been a city with a worse case of identity crisis than Cleveland. 3 years into this league and Cleveland is on their third nickname. They are now the Naps.

Well the New York Giants traded 4 players to acquire Derek Jeter following the inaugural season. He had a nice season for the Giants in 1902, but I noticed towards the end of the year he was losing some starts to Jonathon Villar. 1903 begins and Jeter is the backup. Villar is a switch hitter, so maybe the AI has Jeter and Villar platooning. I will keep my eye on things.

I was correct when I predicted Mantle for the AL MVP and Trout for the NL. What surprised me though is Honus Wagner finishing 4th in the NL. Dude hit .371. Guessing Wagner's lack of power is what held him back.


Can't believe the American League is 0-8 in World Series play.

One more 140 game season and then it's up to 154 for 1904.

Gaylord Perry took home Cy Young honors for the 1902 season. Perry led the Detroit Tigers to the AL crown with a 17-11 record. Jack Harshman was awarded the Cy Young in the NL. Harshman topped two of his teammates, Bill Sherdel and Jake Peavy. I guess a St. Louis sweep of the World Series was in the cards when you realize the top 3 of their rotation were the top 3 in the entire NL.

Will be watching to see if 1903 is a comeback year for Randy Johnson. In 1901 Johnson finished second to Dizzy Dean in the Cy Young race. Johnson struggled the entire 1902 campaign. His strikeouts were way down and his ERA way up. The 1903 preseason predictions have Johnson bouncing back big time. Lord knows his team the Philadelphia Athletics need him to do so. Dean also struggled some in 1902 after a dominant 1901 season. For Dean it was a slow start that held him back. By the end of 1902 he was looking like himself again and he managed to receive a few Cy Young votes for 1902....of course, we figure a few came from voters partial to the Blues, Bronchos, Naps or whatever Cleveland is calling themselves at the moment.

Another guy pitching in Cleveland is Greg Maddux. Ugh! Maddux is 37 years old going into the 1903 season. I so wish he was younger, but you take what the random gods deal you. On the other side of this, John Smoltz was the first pick in the 1901 amateur draft. He was drafted by the Baltimore Orioles, which means he's now a New York Highlander in 1903.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:02 PM   #7
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer
 
actionjackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 5,280
Thanks: 7,693
Thanked 3,167x in 1,947 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Can you imagine the stories to come in future years talking about how the Reds passed on the Splendid Splinter for the honor of drafting Sergio Romo? But, then there's the Giants. The Giants took Jeremy Bonderman over Williams. Insane. When Bonderman announces he no longer is having fun playing baseball, Williams will probably be earning a triple crown.


In other news, has there ever been a city with a worse case of identity crisis than Cleveland. 3 years into this league and Cleveland is on their third nickname. They are now the Naps.

Well the New York Giants traded 4 players to acquire Derek Jeter following the inaugural season. He had a nice season for the Giants in 1902, but I noticed towards the end of the year he was losing some starts to Jonathon Villar. 1903 begins and Jeter is the backup. Villar is a switch hitter, so maybe the AI has Jeter and Villar platooning. I will keep my eye on things.

I was correct when I predicted Mantle for the AL MVP and Trout for the NL. What surprised me though is Honus Wagner finishing 4th in the NL. Dude hit .371. Guessing Wagner's lack of power is what held him back.


Can't believe the American League is 0-8 in World Series play.

One more 140 game season and then it's up to 154 for 1904.

Gaylord Perry took home Cy Young honors for the 1902 season. Perry led the Detroit Tigers to the AL crown with a 17-11 record. Jack Harshman was awarded the Cy Young in the NL. Harshman topped two of his teammates, Bill Sherdel and Jake Peavy. I guess a St. Louis sweep of the World Series was in the cards when you realize the top 3 of their rotation were the top 3 in the entire NL.

Will be watching to see if 1903 is a comeback year for Randy Johnson. In 1901 Johnson finished second to Dizzy Dean in the Cy Young race. Johnson struggled the entire 1902 campaign. His strikeouts were way down and his ERA way up. The 1903 preseason predictions have Johnson bouncing back big time. Lord knows his team the Philadelphia Athletics need him to do so. Dean also struggled some in 1902 after a dominant 1901 season. For Dean it was a slow start that held him back. By the end of 1902 he was looking like himself again and he managed to receive a few Cy Young votes for 1902....of course, we figure a few came from voters partial to the Blues, Bronchos, Naps or whatever Cleveland is calling themselves at the moment.

Another guy pitching in Cleveland is Greg Maddux. Ugh! Maddux is 37 years old going into the 1903 season. I so wish he was younger, but you take what the random gods deal you. On the other side of this, John Smoltz was the first pick in the 1901 amateur draft. He was drafted by the Baltimore Orioles, which means he's now a New York Highlander in 1903.
Did you know the story of why Cleveland renamed their team to the "Naps"? They acquired superstar second baseman Nap Lajoie during the 1902 season when they were still the Bronchos. In his first full season, they named their damn team after him. That wouldn't go to your head too much would it? The Brooklyn Robins also did this for their manager Wilbert Robinson. I wonder if it's happened elsewhere? Probably, but nothing's coming to me right now.

OOTP does not like Jeter's defense. Like, at all. They shouldn't because it was kind of terrible, but they may go a little bit overboard with that sentiment.
__________________
"Tests have shown that suspicious or hostile
Their lives need not be shortened
Truth be told, they can live a long, long while
Tickled to death by their importance...

He said, you made me scared too, I wasn't sure I was getting through
I gotta go
It's been a pleasure doing business with you"

- RIP Gord Downie (The Tragically Hip) February 6th, 1964 - October 17th, 2017
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
David Watts (11-05-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 08:10 PM   #8
David Watts
Hall Of Famer
 
David Watts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Looking for a place called Leehofooks
Posts: 6,559
Thanks: 4,514
Thanked 4,508x in 2,359 posts
Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
Did you know the story of why Cleveland renamed their team to the "Naps"? They acquired superstar second baseman Nap Lajoie during the 1902 season when they were still the Bronchos. In his first full season, they named their damn team after him. That wouldn't go to your head too much would it? The Brooklyn Robins also did this for their manager Wilbert Robinson. I wonder if it's happened elsewhere? Probably, but nothing's coming to me right now.

OOTP does not like Jeter's defense. Like, at all. They shouldn't because it was kind of terrible, but they may go a little bit overboard with that sentiment.
There are rumors for like one evening back in 1975, Detroit changed their name to the Verns, but sensible minds prevailed.

I will be interested to see if the AI trades Jeter again.

Last edited by David Watts; 11-05-2019 at 08:14 PM.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:15 PM   #9
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer
 
actionjackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 5,280
Thanks: 7,693
Thanked 3,167x in 1,947 posts
The draft lists I was talking about via PM sir. First up, not using pre-defined draft value...
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
__________________
"Tests have shown that suspicious or hostile
Their lives need not be shortened
Truth be told, they can live a long, long while
Tickled to death by their importance...

He said, you made me scared too, I wasn't sure I was getting through
I gotta go
It's been a pleasure doing business with you"

- RIP Gord Downie (The Tragically Hip) February 6th, 1964 - October 17th, 2017
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
David Watts (11-06-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 10:17 PM   #10
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer
 
actionjackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 5,280
Thanks: 7,693
Thanked 3,167x in 1,947 posts
Now...Using pre-defined draft value...
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
__________________
"Tests have shown that suspicious or hostile
Their lives need not be shortened
Truth be told, they can live a long, long while
Tickled to death by their importance...

He said, you made me scared too, I wasn't sure I was getting through
I gotta go
It's been a pleasure doing business with you"

- RIP Gord Downie (The Tragically Hip) February 6th, 1964 - October 17th, 2017
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
Beirnej1 (11-05-2019), David Watts (11-06-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 08:54 AM   #11
David Watts
Hall Of Famer
 
David Watts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Looking for a place called Leehofooks
Posts: 6,559
Thanks: 4,514
Thanked 4,508x in 2,359 posts
Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
Now...Using pre-defined draft value...
Based on Mantle and Viola alone, I think I would go pre-defined.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
actionjackson (11-06-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 09:03 AM   #12
David Watts
Hall Of Famer
 
David Watts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Looking for a place called Leehofooks
Posts: 6,559
Thanks: 4,514
Thanked 4,508x in 2,359 posts
Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Oh my John Smoltz has come out firing to start the season and his New York Highlanders are currently sitting atop the AL. Another team in the AL that's started the season hot is the Chicago White Sox. The White Sox are led by David Ortiz and after 2 rather blah seasons, Joe DiMaggio is showing signs he may explode on the scene. Boston hasn't been Boston to start the season, but there are some rumblings present, so look out. Detroit is hovering as well.

The NL so far is hard to read. St. Louis, Boston, Pittsburgh and Philadelphia are all playing well. New York has shown some life as well.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
actionjackson (11-06-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 10:36 AM   #13
splat58
Bat Boy
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6x in 5 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
Did you know the story of why Cleveland renamed their team to the "Naps"? They acquired superstar second baseman Nap Lajoie during the 1902 season when they were still the Bronchos. In his first full season, they named their damn team after him. That wouldn't go to your head too much would it? The Brooklyn Robins also did this for their manager Wilbert Robinson. I wonder if it's happened elsewhere? Probably, but nothing's coming to me right now.

OOTP does not like Jeter's defense. Like, at all. They shouldn't because it was kind of terrible, but they may go a little bit overboard with that sentiment.

The Cleveland Browns were named for Paul Brown.
splat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
actionjackson (11-06-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 01:17 PM   #14
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer
 
actionjackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 5,280
Thanks: 7,693
Thanked 3,167x in 1,947 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Based on Mantle and Viola alone, I think I would go pre-defined.
The dilemma is basically that pre-defined automatically defaults to "best available player". It will never be based on an organization's needs. This lines up with my general philosophy, but I do find it to be quite binary. It's possible that non pre-defined will automatically default to "organizational need", and of the two I do feel that "best available" is the way to go, so I may have my answer here.
__________________
"Tests have shown that suspicious or hostile
Their lives need not be shortened
Truth be told, they can live a long, long while
Tickled to death by their importance...

He said, you made me scared too, I wasn't sure I was getting through
I gotta go
It's been a pleasure doing business with you"

- RIP Gord Downie (The Tragically Hip) February 6th, 1964 - October 17th, 2017
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
David Watts (11-06-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 01:18 PM   #15
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer
 
actionjackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 5,280
Thanks: 7,693
Thanked 3,167x in 1,947 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by splat58 View Post
The Cleveland Browns were named for Paul Brown.
Ah yes...Thank you.
__________________
"Tests have shown that suspicious or hostile
Their lives need not be shortened
Truth be told, they can live a long, long while
Tickled to death by their importance...

He said, you made me scared too, I wasn't sure I was getting through
I gotta go
It's been a pleasure doing business with you"

- RIP Gord Downie (The Tragically Hip) February 6th, 1964 - October 17th, 2017
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 01:20 PM   #16
David Watts
Hall Of Famer
 
David Watts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Looking for a place called Leehofooks
Posts: 6,559
Thanks: 4,514
Thanked 4,508x in 2,359 posts
Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
The dilemma is basically that pre-defined automatically defaults to "best available player". It will never be based on an organization's needs. This lines up with my general philosophy, but I do find it to be quite binary. It's possible that non pre-defined will automatically default to "organizational need", and of the two I do feel that "best available" is the way to go, so I may have my answer here.
Best available makes for the better storylines though Heck, I'm using pre-defined and Ted Williams somehow fell to the fifth pick. Go figure.

Last edited by David Watts; 11-06-2019 at 01:23 PM.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 01:27 PM   #17
David Watts
Hall Of Famer
 
David Watts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Looking for a place called Leehofooks
Posts: 6,559
Thanks: 4,514
Thanked 4,508x in 2,359 posts
Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I'm enjoying 1980 as my base year, but I keep debating whether I want to occasionally spice things up a little by using other years from the 80's as well. Thinking, I could eliminate 81 and 87 and use the other 8 years. Maybe use 80 till 1911, then 82 till 1921, 83 till 1930 etc. Who knows. First I have to make the league last till 1911.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 01:37 PM   #18
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer
 
actionjackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 5,280
Thanks: 7,693
Thanked 3,167x in 1,947 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Best available makes for the better storylines though Heck, I'm using pre-defined and Ted Williams somehow fell to the fifth pick. Go figure.
Who was ahead of him? I'll look it up in the Master.csv file because that has to be wrong, no?
__________________
"Tests have shown that suspicious or hostile
Their lives need not be shortened
Truth be told, they can live a long, long while
Tickled to death by their importance...

He said, you made me scared too, I wasn't sure I was getting through
I gotta go
It's been a pleasure doing business with you"

- RIP Gord Downie (The Tragically Hip) February 6th, 1964 - October 17th, 2017
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 01:39 PM   #19
David Watts
Hall Of Famer
 
David Watts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Looking for a place called Leehofooks
Posts: 6,559
Thanks: 4,514
Thanked 4,508x in 2,359 posts
Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
Who was ahead of him? I'll look it up in the Master.csv file because that has to be wrong, no?
Mark Texiera
Ruben Sierra
Mike Scott
Sergio Romo
Jeremy Bonderman.

I said 5th, but it was 6th

Last edited by David Watts; 11-06-2019 at 01:51 PM.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:37 PM   #20
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer
 
actionjackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 5,280
Thanks: 7,693
Thanked 3,167x in 1,947 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Mark Texiera
Ruben Sierra
Mike Scott
Sergio Romo
Jeremy Bonderman.

I said 5th, but it was 6th
...And Action goes back to his time consuming, but faaar more effective dispersal method.

Mark Teixeira 3931
Ruben Sierra 3121
Mike Scott 2142
Sergio Romo 1315
Jeremy Bonderman 1307
Ted Williams 1060

So, it was done correctly according to the Draft Values, but it's not correct according to what it really should be.
__________________
"Tests have shown that suspicious or hostile
Their lives need not be shortened
Truth be told, they can live a long, long while
Tickled to death by their importance...

He said, you made me scared too, I wasn't sure I was getting through
I gotta go
It's been a pleasure doing business with you"

- RIP Gord Downie (The Tragically Hip) February 6th, 1964 - October 17th, 2017

Last edited by actionjackson; 11-07-2019 at 09:31 PM.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:21 PM.

 

Major League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with permission of MLB Advanced Media, L.P. Minor League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with the permission of Minor League Baseball. All rights reserved.

The Major League Baseball Players Association (www.MLBPLAYERS.com ) is the collective bargaining representative for all professional baseball players of the thirty Major League Baseball teams and serves as the exclusive group licensing agent for commercial and licensing activities involving active Major League baseball players. On behalf of its members, it operates the Players Choice licensing program and the Players Choice Awards, which benefit the needy through the Major League Baseball Players Trust, a charitable foundation established and run entirely by Major League baseball players. Follow: @MLB_Players; @MLBPAClubhouse; @MLBPlayersTrust

Out of the Park Baseball is a registered trademark of Out of the Park Developments GmbH & Co. KG

Google Play is a trademark of Google Inc.

Apple, iPhone, iPod touch and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.

COPYRIGHT © 2017 OUT OF THE PARK DEVELOPMENTS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2018 Out of the Park Developments