Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 10-05-2019, 06:00 PM   #1
dward1
All Star Reserve

Have you ever seen a runner thrown out trying to stretch a single into a double?

or trying to score on a wild pitch or passed ball? they get thrown out all the time trying to score from 2nd with 2 outs but I've never seen these two scenarios
dward1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 06:02 PM   #2
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward1 View Post
or trying to score on a wild pitch or passed ball? they get thrown out all the time trying to score from 2nd with 2 outs but I've never seen these two scenarios
I do not not recall having seen that. I was thinking about it the other day
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 07:31 PM   #3
Reed
All Star Starter

Very, very seldom. Maybe twice in the last 100 games I have played out. I have seen more players thrown out trying for a triple.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 09:08 PM   #4
zappa1
All Star Starter

I agree with Reed. Very rare. Don't even remember the last time I saw it happen.
zappa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 09:10 PM   #5
zappa1
All Star Starter

Another one is an inside the park homerun. ALWAYS safe. Never seen one thrown out.
zappa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 01:11 PM   #6
NotMuchTime
Minors (Double A)

I've seen runners trying to stretch a single into a double get thrown out.

There are a lot of things I've never seen. One that bothers me the most is the cut off man throwing out a runner at a base other than home.
NotMuchTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 12:58 PM   #7
Wingedlion14
Minors (Double A)

I have guys on my team getting thrown out trying to stretch singles into doubles at least like 5-10 times a season.
Wingedlion14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 02:28 PM   #8
jeffw3000
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingedlion14 View Post
I have guys on my team getting thrown out trying to stretch singles into doubles at least like 5-10 times a season.
I agree. It does not happen often, but I do see it a few times a season. definitely does not happen as much as you see it happening in real life.
jeffw3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 02:29 PM   #9
jeffw3000
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappa1 View Post
Another one is an inside the park homerun. ALWAYS safe. Never seen one thrown out.
I do not believe I have ever seen someone thrown out when trying for an inside the park HR.
Old 10-07-2019, 03:14 PM   #10
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffw3000 View Post
I agree. It does not happen often, but I do see it a few times a season. definitely does not happen as much as you see it happening in real life.
Is that based on feel or research?

I have seen it in OOTP and it is rare. My first thought, when I first read this thread, was "how often do I see that when I watch a real game?" And I have to say I can't remember the last time I saw it, and I watch quite a few games. So my real life observation is that it is a rare play IRL and my guess is OOTP probably has it right or close to right.

Not saying you're wrong and my observation is definitely based on feel. If you do have research showing real life numbers it would be interesting to see.
Sweed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 04:04 PM   #11
jeffw3000
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
Is that based on feel or research?

I have seen it in OOTP and it is rare. My first thought, when I first read this thread, was "how often do I see that when I watch a real game?" And I have to say I can't remember the last time I saw it, and I watch quite a few games. So my real life observation is that it is a rare play IRL and my guess is OOTP probably has it right or close to right.

Not saying you're wrong and my observation is definitely based on feel. If you do have research showing real life numbers it would be interesting to see.
Based on feel, but I watch every Pirate game during the season, and off the top of my head I can think of 8 games this year where a Pirate was thrown out at second trying to stretch into a double, and 1 of those games they were thrown out twice. I can also think of 4 games off the top of my head where the Pirates threw out a runner trying to stretch it into a double. I do not remember those as much as the Pirates getting thrown out, however I do remember Jose Osuna thrown 3 guys out in the same game. That was not this year, may have been last year or the year before.
Old 10-07-2019, 05:32 PM   #12
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

it's a bit of a guess too, as far as reasoning...

in ootp, it's simply a % of the outs at 2nd will be written in the pbp as that type of outcome.

i don't think the engine resolves beyond proportion of occurence. i.e. it' snot looking at a player and rolling the dice at "1B" whether that player decides to go for 2nd base or not... there's no 'role-playing' element liek that i don't think.

the engine is probably 300-500KB.. seriously. 99.99% of the game by bytes is a pretty facade. *not criticism, it's inevitable for any game like this. even adding all the things necesary to make that decisions per player wouldn't be much added (not the hard part for that type of addition - startification of players in an appropriate and real-world accurate way would be the real effort - like using personality along with baserunning and such -- selfish, stupid player smore likely to try somethig risky).

asthetic stuff for us to read, but still in proportion.

Last edited by NoOne; 10-07-2019 at 05:36 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:50 PM   #13
RonCo
Hall Of Famer

Using a script to scan OOTP game logs (and whatever settings we have here), in about 24 games of our 32-team online league we've had the following runners thrown out trying to advance to:

2B: 9
3B: 55
Home: 148
RonCo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:16 PM   #14
Reed
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonCo View Post
Using a script to scan OOTP game logs (and whatever settings we have here), in about 24 games of our 32-team online league we've had the following runners thrown out trying to advance to:

For clarification. Was this a base runner being thrown out at home or the batter thrown out at home trying for inside the park HR?
Thanks.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:20 PM   #15
RonCo
Hall Of Famer

The script searches for the following phrases:

OUT at second base trying to stretch hit
Runner from 2nd tries for 3rd
Runner from 2nd tags up
Runner from 3rd tries for Home
Runner from 3rd tags up

So that's all I can say right now. I'd have to page through the whole set by hand to see which, if any, were attempts at inside the park homers.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:23 PM   #16
RonCo
Hall Of Famer

I can say that none were credited with a triple, so there's that.

I should note that inside the park homers are pretty rare, and this is only essentially a month of games. So I wouldn't say anything about inside the park homers here. I would say that it shows runner do clearly attempt to stretch singles into doubles on occasion. Someone else would have to say if this is enough or too many or whatever.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:26 PM   #17
RonCo
Hall Of Famer

Of the plays in which runners were thrown out at home, the batters were credited with:

15: Fly outs (tag ups)
94: Singles
39: Doubles
Old 10-07-2019, 08:01 PM   #18
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonCo View Post

Now someone just needs to get the IRL numbers for these to see if they are in the ballpark.
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:29 PM   #19
RonCo
Hall Of Famer

FWIW, we've had three Inside the Park homers in the four weeks worth of games in that sample size above.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:45 AM   #20
Dorfmann
Minors (Double A)

I've seen a good amount of runners thrown out at second, enough that I can recognize when it's going to happen based on how the PBP is unfolding.
Dorfmann is offline   Reply With Quote