Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 01-25-2019, 12:04 PM   #1
sharknut
All Star Reserve

Cal Ripken

How the hell does he get tired?
sharknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 12:06 PM   #2
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharknut View Post
How the hell does he get tired?

Same as everyone else, he's human.

You think he never got tired during his streak? Until he becomes a cyborg he's gonna get tired. Human managers might never rest him despite this.
mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 12:13 PM   #3
BMW
Hall Of Famer

I believe the fatigue has been ramped up in PT, to make up for the absence of injuries.

If there was no fatigue and no injuries, with the quality level of the players in PT, you could probably build a team with 10 batters.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:50 PM   #4
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW View Post
I believe the fatigue has been ramped up in PT, to make up for the absence of injuries.

If there was no fatigue and no injuries, with the quality level of the players in PT, you could probably build a team with 10 batters.
This.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:12 PM   #5
sharknut
All Star Reserve

I would understand for regular players, not someone who never missed a game. Especially when OOTP compresses the schedule to a team gets 1 or 2 off days a month, rather than a normal schedule.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:01 PM   #6
Threnodas
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
I would understand for regular players, not someone who never missed a game. Especially when OOTP compresses the schedule to a team gets 1 or 2 off days a month, rather than a normal schedule.
PT literally uses the actual, God's honest 2018 MLB schedule. What could possibly be more realistic? Look at your favorite team's schedule from last year, and compare it to a couple others. Teams can have 20 games in a row, or 2 weeks on either side of a single off day. It happens. Seriously.
Threnodas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 03:01 PM   #7
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Just because he never missed a game doesn't mean the dude never got tired and was less effective in those cases.

It just means he's tough and they trotted him out there no matter what.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:04 PM   #8
atabakin
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdog512 View Post
Just because he never missed a game doesn't mean the dude never got tired and was less effective in those cases.

Additionally, I believe this would add too many variables for PT to be able to handle. The personality ratings from the core game were disabled, as well as injuries, so I think it would follow that other individual player quirks like "iron man" status would not be implemented either.
atabakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 03:46 PM   #9
<Pion>
All Star Starter

Quote:

The problem I see with this logic is that he did get tired in real life, but produced the stats he did. It seems that OOTP penalizes a player who produced a certain level of stats while getting tired by reducing his effectiveness resulting in a further reduction of the stats. It's a double whammy of tiredness.

That being said, I think PT is doing the right thing unless they institute a special exception for a guy like Ripken, and I don't think it is needed or worth the effort.
<Pion> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 04:44 PM   #10
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Pion> View Post
The problem I see with this logic is that he did get tired in real life, but produced the stats he did. It seems that OOTP penalizes a player who produced a certain level of stats while getting tired by reducing his effectiveness resulting in a further reduction of the stats. It's a double whammy of tiredness.

That being said, I think PT is doing the right thing unless they institute a special exception for a guy like Ripken, and I don't think it is needed or worth the effort.

Here's the thing. I don't think he batted 1.000. There is absolutely no way to know on the times he went 0 for 4 it was because of fatigue or a minor injury degraded his performance for that day. He did play through injuries but that's on the manager for trotting him out there day after day. I fully appreceate his amazing achievement but I'm not so sure it was wise.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:06 PM   #11
<Pion>
All Star Starter

Quote:
Here's the thing. I don't think he batted 1.000. There is absolutely no way to know on the times he went 0 for 4 it was because of fatigue or a minor injury degraded his performance for that day. He did play through injuries but that's on the manager for trotting him out there day after day. I fully appreceate his amazing achievement but I'm not so sure it was wise.
So do you agree or disagree that OOTP is giving him a 2nd whammy of fatigue over and above the numbers he produced when healthy and fatigued? I'm not discussing the wisdom of him being rested in real life.
<Pion> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 05:55 PM   #12
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Pion> View Post
So do you agree or disagree that OOTP is giving him a 2nd whammy of fatigue over and above the numbers he produced when healthy and fatigued? I'm not discussing the wisdom of him being rested in real life.
I think it makes sense in PT for him to not be invincible and not get fatigued. I don’t know how often the computer manager is sitting him. If it’s a lot I can see why people would question it.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:49 PM   #13
sharknut
All Star Reserve

Quote:
He's hitting .175, BTW
Old 01-25-2019, 07:19 PM   #14
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
He's hitting .175, BTW

I thought you left?
Old 01-25-2019, 07:21 PM   #15
BMW
Hall Of Famer

The Ripken in my Diamond League has consistently been in the .280s.

Why no love for Frank McCormick, Sandy Alomar Sr, Eddie Brown, Fred Luderous or Gus Suhr? They all played in over 500 consecutive games.

I have Gorman Thomas from 1980, and he played 162 games. I mean, he played 100% of the games that season just the way Ripken played 100% of the games in any one season.

My Lou Gehrig doesn't play every game. But I suppose I could make my lineups so that he never sat. Just set the Depth Chart to "Never" instead of "If Starter tired". He's played 157 games in a year for me before, I'd imagine the extra five games wouldn't make him go from a perennial All-Star (well, 5 times) to an also-ran. So some of it is your choice as a manager, is it not?

There are a number of real variables we'll never be able to prove. His father was a highly respected member of the Orioles organization for much of his career, including the formative years of the streak (the ones where it was getting established to the point where there would be a taboo about ending it). How much did having his father on the coaching staff both give him moral support and also pressure to let Senior's kid do what he wanted?

You can look and find years of contemporary material that talks about Ripken's streak in Baltimore. It was practically daily conversation in the city for over a decade.

Here's an article from 1991, for example, documenting a consecutive half-seasons worth of games where he barely hit over .200 (this article wasn't even at the low point of 1990 which would be 5 days later), about six seasons before his streak would end.

And another article talking about his need for rest in 1992 as his batting average dipped into the .230s at the end of the season.

Or in 1993, when he was elected to start the All Star game - batting .229 with 5 home runs. And from the article in June, you can see just how poor his numbers were over the previous 155 games. Which is almost identical to Kevin Elster's 1989 season.

It's something we'll never know - there's no reason to think Ripken couldn't have put up better numbers with rest. The streak is his calling card, sure. It's almost shameful how people lose sight that he is arguably the only second to Wagner as the best shortstop of all time regardless of the streak (and Wagner actually played 1/3 of his games elsewhere than SS, A-Rod has both the stigma of roids and the weird shift foisted on him by the Yankee organization's refusal to see Jeter as anything except for a shortstop).

But there's no way to know if he wouldn't have been a little bit better with regular rest. Ripken's argument was that he didn't need it, and the manager's argument was that any Ripken was better than none at all. But maybe he's better if he didn't have the streak. The 1992 article mentions he sprained an ankle in a game and rather than rest, he was right out starting the next game. Hell, the article says he's been injury-riddled through 1992. It wasn't that Ripken didn't get injured, he just would choose to play through all his injuries and he was fortunate enough that he never had an injury where he tore a hamstring.

Who is to say that he would have had a better month after the incident if he let it rest properly for a few games instead of continuing the streak at all costs?
Attached Images
Image Image Image 

Last edited by BMW; 01-26-2019 at 12:57 PM.
BMW is offline   Reply With Quote