Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-23-2018, 04:50 PM   #1
Djman319
Bat Boy

Awful Trades

Idk about you guys but all the time I always get offered these awful trades. Like hey were gonna give you a major league bench player for a good player and your top prospect. Does this happen to anyone else?

Last edited by Djman319; 04-23-2018 at 04:55 PM.
Djman319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:55 PM   #2
james17
All Star Starter

Yup...happens to me all the time.
james17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:08 PM   #3
D-BacksJosh
Banned

Yeah, I just use it as an opportunity to go into further negotiations with that team. If nothing realistic can be agreed upon then decline
D-BacksJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:13 PM   #4
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

every time. junk for diamonds .... but if you offer the same back, the guy get insulted. wish there was a feature to turn those dialogs back on the AI!
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:08 PM   #5
RubeBaker
All Star Reserve

A few years ago I was offered Willie Bloomquist for Kris Bryant. Yeah...THAT is going to happen!
RubeBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:17 PM   #6
Qeltar
Major Leagues

I am constantly being offered 0.5/0.5 star scrubs for my 4/4.5 closer.

I'm surprised that the logic in this area isn't better given the polish of the rest of the game.

My favorites though are the offers in my inbox that, when I open them to negotiate, the other side says isn't a good deal for them and they refuse to do it.
Qeltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:50 PM   #7
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

99/100 times it's not worth it... what it tells you is who that GM scouts well and has a need for on your team.

if it's ever a guy you are looking to get rid of in a window of time, see what assets they have. you can probably get more in return from that team than others. if it's a no-trade guy, then add him to your no-trade list and you won't get annoyed by emails.

the game shouldn't spoon feed us good trades. talk about "easy-mode" lol.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:42 PM   #8
Clavette
Major Leagues

I feel like its worse this year
Clavette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:06 AM   #9
Reggie
Major Leagues

I find I get better offers when I define what I want in the team needs section..and specify I don't want dumpster fires.
Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:55 AM   #10
Qeltar
Major Leagues

I understand making trades too easy would make for a bad game.

But seriously... offering me your 0.5/0.5 for my 2.0/3.0.. and then for laughs I decided to negotiate and he says he's going to have to "think it over"?
Old 04-24-2018, 11:59 AM   #11
texasmame
All Star Starter

Once in a blue moon. Got Bill Terry offered to me out of the blue for what amounted to flotsam and jetsam. Snapped him up right quick. But - yeah. It's mostly laughable offers that I just use to start negotiations sometimes or just outright reject.

As the defending NL West Champions, the SALMON fall to the wildcard Dakota Rushmores in the first round in seven games.
texasmame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 12:18 PM   #12
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

it's a foot in the door... it's a tip for you. that's all you should see it as.

just like shop a player around.. the gm's that offer the most on that screen will also offer the most when you try other trades including that player you shopped.

you get insight about their scouting accuracy/inaccuracy as well as the GM's tendencies / team needs.

it's useful in an abstract way... extrapolation needed.

needless to say, i put most of my guys on no-trade lists. i prefer to target specific prospects than try to get the most... unless it's an intermediary trade for future assets to trade away at later date for the "real" target that i want. usually to match to team needs of where they target currently works.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:25 PM   #13
Qeltar
Major Leagues

Why are teams constantly PMing me about players I might be interested in trading for but that they have absolutely no interest in trading?
Old 04-25-2018, 01:08 PM   #14
torpidbeaver
Major Leagues

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Yeah, I’m always surprised when I receive a halfway reasonable offer, or the illusive and endangered equitable trade offer.

I try to look at it as an opening proposal in a negotiation. Like, you request 100, expecting to get 50, maybe willing to settle on 40 if you have an acute need, but always hoping the other side inexplicably says yes to your opening bid.

But realistically, most of these offers would probably be taken as offered in bad faith, or as evidence for a delusional and utterly unreliable mind. I do wish that the offers could be weighted just a little bit more towards the realistic side - it’d be great to receive unexpected trade offers that could potentially benefit both teams once in a blue moon. It’s frustrating always having to be the one to dig through dozens of players to see which ones the AI deems expendable or valuable.
torpidbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:17 PM   #15
Baseballman2K5
Major Leagues

I'm sure it's similar in real life. GM's easily and quickly decline 95% of the offers they get
Baseballman2K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:24 PM   #16
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseballman2K5 View Post
I'm sure it's similar in real life. GM's easily and quickly decline 95% of the offers they get
Yeah, exactly. I remember reading an article a few years ago about the trade offers Luhnow and the Astros were making when they were trying to trade Lucas Harrell in 2013.

They were asking for like Gerrit Cole and similar players. So basically team's top young pitching prospects for a player who was basically a 0.5* guy who'd had one flukily decent year the year before.

So this is just what real teams are doing. Not sure why OOTP teams should be different.

Especially on the initial offer, why would you ever not offer less than you're actually willing to take or give? It wouldn't make sense. The offers are just a starting point, basically a way to say, are you interested in trading/trading for this guy? Ok, well let's talk then.

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:30 PM   #17
Baseballman2K5
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Berger View Post
Yeah, exactly. I remember reading an article a few years ago about the trade offers Luhnow and the Astros were making when they were trying to trade Lucas Harrell in 2013.

They were asking for like Gerrit Cole and similar players. So basically team's top young pitching prospects for a player who was basically a 0.5* guy who'd had one flukily decent year the year before.

So this is just what real teams are doing. Not sure why OOTP teams should be different.

Especially on the initial offer, why would you ever not offer less than you're actually willing to take or give? It wouldn't make sense. The offers are just a starting point, basically a way to say, are you interested in trading/trading for this guy? Ok, well let's talk then.

Yep. Always start low in negotiation. I know the story you are referencing. He was literally asking 5 dollars on a cent and other GMs thought he had lost his mind.

I know Dipoto here in Seattle has commented before that GMs get a lot of offers and most aren't close to the other end's needs
Old 04-25-2018, 01:32 PM   #18
Qeltar
Major Leagues

Lukas, I don't think IRL this happens...

GM1: "I hear you are looking for an SP. Any interest in X? Let's discuss it."
GM2: "Sure. What do you want for him?"
GM1: "There's nobody in your organization I would trade 1 on 1 for him, actually, and your offer of your highest-rated regular AND highest-rated prospect is an insult."
GM2: "???"

This happens to me.

This also doesn't happen:

GM1: "I offer X and Y for Z. Let's discuss it if you want."
GM2: "Okay, let's discuss it."
GM1: "Actually, I am not sure about X and Y for Z, but maybe if you throw in another guy..."

Also happens.

I don't care about the silly offers, that indeed can be considered gamesmanship, and they contain useful information (sometimes). But GMs shouldn't dangle untouchables (or near untouchables) and they shouldn't make offers they won't go through with. Because I can't see that happening IRL.

Just my 2c.

Last edited by Qeltar; 04-25-2018 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:33 PM   #19
Baseballman2K5
Major Leagues

If you really work with a team, through "make this trade work now!" button to figure out who they like and swapping out package players...you'd be surprised what you can finally agree upon for a player you once thought would be untouchable
Old 04-25-2018, 02:17 PM   #20
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qeltar View Post
Lukas, I don't think IRL this happens...

GM1: "I hear you are looking for an SP. Any interest in X? Let's discuss it."
GM2: "Sure. What do you want for him?"
GM1: "There's nobody in your organization I would trade 1 on 1 for him, actually, and your offer of your highest-rated regular AND highest-rated prospect is an insult."

This happens to me.

This also doesn't happen:

GM1: "I offer X and Y for Z. Let's discuss it if you want."
GM2: "Okay, let's discuss it."
GM1: "Actually, I am not sure about X and Y for Z, but maybe if you throw in another guy..."

Also happens.

I don't care about the silly offers, that indeed can be considered gamesmanship, and they contain useful information (sometimes). But GMs shouldn't dangle untouchables (or near untouchables) and they shouldn't make offers they won't go through with. Because I can't see that happening IRL.

Just my 2c.
in RL it's a negotiation and both sides are trying to "scr#w" the other as much as possible. neither side is interested in helping the other.. it's 100% selfish motivations and if it helps both teams it's just an accident due to dynamics of trading.

there's only so much a computer ai can do in regard to email offers without being too easy.

as far as i know, if you click "do this" [sic] from email, they do go through with it.. if that's not the case, then definteyl post somethign in bugs, lol. "here take this" then pull a lucy from peanuts and rip the football away as you kick is quite irrational

the moment you edit or 'discuss' it's not the same process for the AI, it reverts back to the normal methods which may not coincide with original email offer.

think of hte email offer as a potential mistake... if oyu discuss it instead of jumping on it, you give the guy time to rethink his mistake.

Last edited by NoOne; 04-25-2018 at 02:19 PM.