Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game? A place for all new Out of the Park Baseball fans to ask questions about the game.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:02 AM   #1
methom
Bat Boy

Question Noob Question about Strategy, Please help clear things up

Hi,
I previously player OOTP9 and posted similar questions that got no answers, if anyone can help I would be very grateful.

I am having a hard time figuring out how the strategies work together, i.e Team vs Manager vs Player.

Which overrules the others, the manual does not make it clear.

I have gathered from a post that Markus made here

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/ootp-13-general-discussions/222911-upcoming-update-4-new-stuff-3.html#post3350707

That the manager strategies are not used at all except for if you start the game with a manager in place or hire a new one, in these circumstances their strategy preferences will be reflected in the team strategy, but as soon as you later the team strategy that overrules any manager preferences. …. “when you sim the games the strategy of your manager is used automatically anyway unless you reset it in the team strategy screen.” …

Ok this makes sense, but has anyone tested been 100% sure this works, I’ll get on to why I ask in a second. Before that though how do Player strategies fit in. It is the two options that confuse me “Adjust to team strategy settings” and “Overide team strategy settings”. In the manual they state that these options “ignore\favour his personal strategic preferences”. How do you know what these are? Are they simply the strategies you set in the player strategy screen? Or are they hidden? I am currently using this screen assuming that the adjust to team strategy settings works as it is described and the sliders modify the players strategy relative to the team strategy, e.g If I have the team strategy to never steal and a player to frequently steal does this average out as the player stealing a “normal” number of times? Is this right, or does the player need to be set to “override team settings” for anything to work, in which case all the sliders in this section dictate his strategy. If so this makes no sense, I set up my team strategies Stealing, Bunting etc. and if I have one player that is really good at stealing I don’t want to have to set all of his strategic tendencies just to increase his attempted steals, which I would have to do if I wanted it to match the rest of the team strategy. This makes absolutely no sense if I have several players who I want to give specific strategies to as they would all need to be set up individually, making the team strategies page totally redundant.

The reason I ask this is during my playing I get some really strange things happening. I have put together a team based on Speed and good defensive ratings and all my starting line-up except for the catcher have speed over 80 (0-100 scale), so accordingly I have base running set to fairly aggressive. I also have several very good base stealers so they have their individual base stealing set to high, while the team is normal. To complicate things my manager really likes to steal bases and throw in my catcher who has a speed of 24 and base stealing abilities of 18 and you have a real mixture.

So set my team strategy to base running aggressive and stealing normal, with my catcher to never and conservative in his player strategy (adjust to team), remember my manager likes to try to steal. Now five games in a row my catcher has been caught stealing, this make no sense at all! Either my managers preferences are overruling something (which does not match with what Markus said), or the player strategies only work if they are set to overrule team settings, in which case I need to adjust all the other settings not just stealing, and will also need to do this for the players I have to steal frequently.

So can anyone confirm how they Team vs Manager vs Player strategies work, and have they tested it, because it doesn’t seen to do what I would expect it to so it would be useful to know if I am doing something wrong.

Mark.

Last edited by methom; 07-17-2012 at 10:34 AM.
methom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:09 AM   #2
tejdog1
All Star Starter

Change your catcher to "override team strategy". Set his baserunning and whatever the second option is (I don't have the game open, sorry) to like... 0.
How I turn my head and lose it all

And it's unnerving
How just one move puts me by myself
There you go just trusting someone else
Now I know I put us both through hell

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Everyone knows it's spelled "TRAID", not trade
tejdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
SteveP

In simple terms:

If you want your team to be aggressive on the base paths, set it that way in the manager strategies. Then, if you want one of your players to be conservative, set those specific sliders in his player strategy and set the player strategy to Override. Basically, you are setting a general rule and then creating an exception (the Override) to cover the one player.

If you are setting the team to be aggressive, it is redundant to set any individual player strategies to be aggressive (IMHO)

I think the options for Adjust to Team vs Override are there to make it easier to change things later in the season and/or to adjust to different ballparks, perhaps.

I think it's a good idea to use the individual player strategy sliders sparingly, because you can easily get confused or forgetful about how everything is supposed to work (at least I can ).
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:35 PM   #4
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
In simple terms:

If you want your team to be aggressive on the base paths, set it that way in the manager strategies. Then, if you want one of your players to be conservative, set those specific sliders in his player strategy and set the player strategy to Override. Basically, you are setting a general rule and then creating an exception (the Override) to cover the one player.

If you are setting the team to be aggressive, it is redundant to set any individual player strategies to be aggressive (IMHO)

I think the options for Adjust to Team vs Override are there to make it easier to change things later in the season and/or to adjust to different ballparks, perhaps.

I think it's a good idea to use the individual player strategy sliders sparingly, because you can easily get confused or forgetful about how everything is supposed to work (at least I can ).
That's a good point, how many posts about my best baserunner getting thrown out too often are because the player is set to run way too much.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:07 AM   #5
methom
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
In simple terms:

Thanks Steve, so to be completly clear the player stratergies do not take any effect unless they are set to override and if I only want to overide the base stealing (because a player has a great rating) I need to set all of the other (player) sliders to match the team strategy?, otherwise my general tendancy to be aggressive for baserunning will be "reset" to "normal" for this player?

I think this makes sence ... but I have different team sliders for different times. e.g. I'm generaly quite conservitive (with the exception of base running), but if I'm 4+ runs up in the 9th I take more risks in my strategy with base running, stealing, bunting etc (I'm happy to take an out for an extra run lead). So if I set the above player's (who is good at stealing) stratergy to match the overall conservative strategy of my team with the exception of stealing, does this mean that these settings will overide my more risky team settings late on in the game and that that this player will always play with caution?

This is what doesn't really make sense to me.

Last edited by methom; 07-18-2012 at 06:11 AM.
methom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:59 PM   #6
SteveP

Quote:
Originally Posted by methom View Post
Thanks Steve, so to be completly clear the player stratergies do not take any effect unless they are set to override
Yes

Quote:
and if I only want to overide the base stealing (because a player has a great rating) I need to set all of the other (player) sliders to match the team strategy?, otherwise my general tendancy to be aggressive for baserunning will be "reset" to "normal" for this player?
That's a very good question, and one I can't give you a definitive answer for. However, I think you should assume that, with Override, all of the individual player strategy sliders will override the Team Strategies, so you have to take that into account whenever you decide to use Override.

In general, it's a good idea to get familiar with the effect of the Team sliders before messing with the Player sliders. Some Team sliders have a pronounced effect. Others are more subtle (or, in the case of squeeze bunting, do nothing). I used to micromanage this, but over time I decided that I would use the same settings for all situations. The AI is going to essentially ignore or give less weight to your slider settings if the results would be absurd for the situation (for example: pinch running in innings 1-3). The sliders only influence the AI (add a little weight) in one direction or the other in situations where judgment is required (for example: pinch running in innings 7-8).
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote