Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game? A place for all new Out of the Park Baseball fans to ask questions about the game.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
Big Oil
Bat Boy

Greetings! Couple noob questions

First, thank you to everyone who has contributed to this community. It has allowed for a high level of self help when getting acclimated to the game. The online manual has also been crucial, too. OOTP '13 - my second OOTP purchase after trying out last year's iPhone app - is an unbelievable piece of work. I'll spare everyone specifics because, well, you likely know more about the awesomeness of it than I do.

There are a few issues I've been unable to resolve and was hoping for some insight here.

First, I recently conducted the Rule 4 player draft during the course of a normal MLB dynasty - that is, I was promoted to GM and called the shots for my specific team. I spent time evaluating the draft pool prior to draft day, and shortlisted around 50 or so players of varying talent that based on their ratings had some level of promise (so I hope).

Because I had several other current minor and major league players shortlisted, it became difficult to ascertain with ease just who was who. So I attempted to create a filter based on "league level" or similar equivalent, asking for the shortlist to filter based on whether a player played in college or high school (and thus were among the targeted draft pool candidates). I couldn't get the filter to work (it would return no results) and was wondering whether I am missing something obvious. I worked around it by sorting by current level, and while this returned draft eligible candidates on my short list, it also returned many FA's.

My second issue - although it is more of a question - is whether the upcoming patch will affect the current dynasty I've undertaken. In other words, will I lose my progress and need to start over, or will it integrate with my current game? I'm guessing the latter but was unsure.

Thanks!
Big Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:15 AM   #2
Big Oil
Bat Boy

I discovered the answer to the second question is that the update will integrate, so that's good.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:20 AM   #3
Bowtie
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Oil View Post
First, thank you to everyone who has contributed to this community. It has allowed for a high level of self help when getting acclimated to the game. The online manual has also been crucial, too. OOTP '13 - my second OOTP purchase after trying out last year's iPhone app - is an unbelievable piece of work. I'll spare everyone specifics because, well, you likely know more about the awesomeness of it than I do.

There are a few issues I've been unable to resolve and was hoping for some insight here.

First, I recently conducted the Rule 4 player draft during the course of a normal MLB dynasty - that is, I was promoted to GM and called the shots for my specific team. I spent time evaluating the draft pool prior to draft day, and shortlisted around 50 or so players of varying talent that based on their ratings had some level of promise (so I hope).

Because I had several other current minor and major league players shortlisted, it became difficult to ascertain with ease just who was who. So I attempted to create a filter based on "league level" or similar equivalent, asking for the shortlist to filter based on whether a player played in college or high school (and thus were among the targeted draft pool candidates). I couldn't get the filter to work (it would return no results) and was wondering whether I am missing something obvious. I worked around it by sorting by current level, and while this returned draft eligible candidates on my short list, it also returned many FA's.

My second issue - although it is more of a question - is whether the upcoming patch will affect the current dynasty I've undertaken. In other words, will I lose my progress and need to start over, or will it integrate with my current game? I'm guessing the latter but was unsure.

Thanks!
As to your issues, you may find this very satisfying. Perhaps we need to ask Markus if he could tweak the shortlisted players to indicate who is in your minors, majors or whom is your preferred draft choice such as but not limited to colorizing them or perhaps putting your preferred draft choices in bold, italic upper case letters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Hey guys,

UPDATE INFO:
To apply the patch, simply download the setup file and install it over your current installation. Alternatively, for PC only, there is a smaller patch file which will update your current installation properly. There no need to uninstall or unlicense your current copy! However, you should quit the game before installing it, of course. If you have modified any default files, please make sure you backup these files and restore them after the update. Your saved games are not touched and will remain compatible with the new version.

Here is the list of fixes / improvements in version 13.4.17 compared to version 13.3.9:

• Added a feature that enables online leagues to broadcast the real-time simulation screen to the league website as a real-time report, so league members can watch the league being simulated live
• Added a "Check teams for roster violations" function to the commissioner home screen
• Added the ability to edit "Projected Budget"; if set, all future budgets of a team can remain constant
• Added a "GM only” mode (in manager options) that prevents the human GM from winning the manager of the year award or appearing in the manager-related history reports
• Added the ability to add leagues to and remove them from existing associations
• Added a "Reset all Injuries & DL status" function to the league setup screen
• Added a "Reset Player Fatigue" function to the league setup screen
• Added a "Reset Player Morale" function to the league setup screen
• Added a "Reset Compensation Type of all Free Agents" function to the league setup screen
• Added an option in the league setup screen to disable automatic Hall of Fame inductions
• Added two new player split stat categories, "As Starter" and "As Reliever / Substitution"; these only work for the current season, though
• Added coach pictures to the team personnel screen
• Added player pictures to the in-game player profile screen
• The payroll between the start of the offseason and the date of free agent filings is now a projection rather than the salaries from the just finished season, resulting in more accurate projected budgets and funds available
• Shortlisted players are now highlighted by having their name displayed in upper case in player lists
• Players discovered through international scouting will now accept minor league contracts if they are very young and years away from reaching the majors
• Improved various aspects of the in-game and roster AI
• Fixed several bugs

Cheers!
Markus + Andreas
We hope this answers your questions and as always if you have any others just ask away.

Cheers,
Bowtie
OOTP Tech Support

Last edited by Bowtie; 07-14-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:31 AM   #4
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
For sorting your draft eligible players you could add "pro years" to your view and then sort the column with those with 0 years at the top. You may have some minor league or free agents still show up that, while not in the draft still haven't put in a full year but at least it might help a bit.

Strike that, I have the game open and think I have a better way to sort. Add pro years to your view and also have levels in your view. Then sort by level. Those that aren't playing at any level will be at the top of the list with a dash (-) listed in the level column. Then look over at the "pro years" column and almost everyone with 0 pro years will be your draft candidates. It is possible that a FA that was never drafted previously could sneak into the picture but if he is that bad why is he on your short list?

It would be nice to have an "amateur" filter added to the filter button. IMHO a much better solution than trying to have to keep track of what colors or fonts indicate.

I'm nowhere near the draft so no amateurs are in this picture but here is a screen shot showing a view I use to evaluate minor league batters that has the columns you would need to do your sort. Also have a similar view to evaluate minor league pitchers. Both would be handy for your sort as they would also include current and potential ratings along with stats from the league they play in. Hope that helps.
Attached Images
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:55 PM   #5
Big Oil
Bat Boy

Thanks guys! Perhaps when suggestions are taken for the next patch, I'll throw my $.02 in for an amateur filter. In the meantime, Sweed, I'll play it your way - thanks a lot for the image, too!.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:24 PM   #6
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Sweed has a big shortlist!

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote