Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions

Old 10-24-2011, 02:39 PM   #1
herm1978
Minors (Single A)

Will the game have real names?

Stupid question maybe, but will the game have real player/team names (got to wonder when I saw in the naming thread that NHL couldnt be used in the title)?
herm1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:01 PM   #2
archibalduk
All Star Starter

If OOTP want to use real player/team/competition names then they have to purchase licenses from the relevant leagues and/or player associations. IIRC the cost made a fair impact on EHM's revenue. It's not cheap to obtain licenses. Also, I believe the NHL would require OOTP to put NHL in the title (just like they required SI to put NHL in EHM's name).

Hence I expect we'll be looking at a "faked" database (i.e real-life information but with scrambled names). This really isn't that bad a thing. I don't know how familiar you are with the EHM community, but we've been supporting EHM for 7.5 years now (five of which have been since EHM was cancelled) and there is still immense support for updating the rosters, etc.

So long as there is a decent editor and customisation then we'd be just fine without any licensed leagues.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:13 PM   #3
erikthered
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by archibalduk View Post
If OOTP want to use real player/team/competition names then they have to purchase licenses from the relevant leagues and/or player associations. IIRC the cost made a fair impact on EHM's revenue. It's not cheap to obtain licenses. Also, I believe the NHL would require OOTP to put NHL in the title (just like they required SI to put NHL in EHM's name).

Hence I expect we'll be looking at a "faked" database (i.e real-life information but with scrambled names). This really isn't that bad a thing. I don't know how familiar you are with the EHM community, but we've been supporting EHM for 7.5 years now (five of which have been since EHM was cancelled) and there is still immense support for updating the rosters, etc.

So long as there is a decent editor and customisation then we'd be just fine without any licensed leagues.
I'd gladly pay more for a fully licensed version, though.
erikthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:55 PM   #4
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Player's names themselves aren't necessarily a huge issue. Team and league names and anything graphical are way out, but an argument can be made, based on the court case that the MLBPA lost a few years ago, that player names (regardless of sport or league) in themselves aren't a problem.

Last edited by Cryomaniac; 10-24-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:59 PM   #5
MorseMoose
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
Player's names themselves aren't necessarily a huge issue. Team and league names and anything graphical are way out, but an argument can be made, based on the court case that the MLBPA lost a few years ago, that player names (regardless of sport or league) in themselves aren't a problem.
Right. I don't think OOTP is paying anything for the licensing of names.
MorseMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:01 PM   #6
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

It's worth noting too that licensing for the players and for the league/clubs may be different. It may be possible to obtain one without having the other (the old Front Page Sports: Baseball games come to mind, which had the MLBPA license allowing the game to use the real player names, but it didn't have the MLB license, so it couldn't use the actual team names or ballpark names).
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:15 PM   #7
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
It's worth noting too that licensing for the players and for the league/clubs may be different. It may be possible to obtain one without having the other (the old Front Page Sports: Baseball games come to mind, which had the MLBPA license allowing the game to use the real player names, but it didn't have the MLB license, so it couldn't use the actual team names or ballpark names).
There have been games the other way round too (Madden 64 had the NFL license, but not the NFLPA license IIRC).

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:04 PM   #8
deanemj
Minors (Double A)

Is this really a big deal? I'm sure some friendly and much appreciated community members will whip together a real world database and accompanying logos and world information.

Just look at what those great people do for OOTP every year.
deanemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:55 PM   #9
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
Player names and stats were determined through the courts system not to be copyrighted information.
This was decided after MLB and the NFL tried to make fantasy sports websites pay licensing fees.

I fully expect that this project will have real player names and stats and ratings done by teams of researchers.
I also expect it to have team names up to the point of the city itself being named.

The name itself is copyrighted information. The same goes for league names, team and league logos and award names.

After release a team of dedicated modders can assemble a logo package and team and league name package.

The developer has also stated that he is looking into getting researchers to research the leagues. I think this hints that we will see real players populate the leagues.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:44 AM   #10
Alessandro
Hall Of Famer

If we can have real names it's not a big deal, turning the New York Highlanders in New York Islanders won't be that hard. Heck, in EHM we had to "unfake" a huge lot more and still we did it...
Alessandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:29 AM   #11
Smetana
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
After release a team of dedicated modders can assemble a logo package and team and league name package.
An even better plan would be to have such a mod ready for use when the game is released.
Smetana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:29 AM   #12
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Expect to see a more or less identical system in the Hockey Project as we use with OOTP.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:41 AM   #13
Smetana
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Palkowski View Post
Expect to see a more or less identical system in the Hockey Project as we use with OOTP.
I expected this would be your reply, and I'm glad to hear it. Screw licenses, we can skillfully create all that is necessary to pimp this game out.
Smetana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:42 AM   #14
herm1978
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Palkowski View Post
And that would be? Never played OOTP.
herm1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:02 PM   #15
The Funk
All Star Reserve

Who is the hockey equivalent of Ross Gload and will the team he plays in get a massive boost in intangibles, as in real life?

The Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:06 PM   #16
AESP_pres
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by herm1978 View Post
And that would be? Never played OOTP.
Real players and real teams. No team logos or player photos, the community do a great works at producing that every years so it's always available.
AESP_pres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:06 PM   #17
Vikke

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Funk View Post
Who is the hockey equivalent of Ross Gload and will the team he plays in get a massive boost in intangibles, as in real life?
Jonathan Toews. Easiest answer ever.
Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:26 PM   #18
RamMan12
Major Leagues

I was part of the EHM community until a few months after the series was cancelled. When it comes to the logos, player names, etc. the community and developers were great with updates and I don't forsee an issue when you combine the EHM and OOTP fan bases.

As for any kind of historical database (the hard-coded year made historical playing almost impossible and is my only complaint with the EHM series) WhatIf Sports has a ridiculous database that could be used for historical and maybe even current players/rosters.

Last edited by RamMan12; 10-25-2011 at 01:34 PM. Reason: left out phrase
RamMan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:12 PM   #19
The Funk
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
Jonathan Toews. Easiest answer ever.
Cheers, he will be my favourite hockey player. I hope he plays for someone good.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:13 PM   #20
The Funk
All Star Reserve

Chicago Blackhawks. Are they good? I like the name if nothing else.