Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > iOOTP Baseball > iOOTP - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

iOOTP - General Discussions Talk about iOOTP Baseball, the baseball management simulation for iPhone/iPod/iPad

Old 05-05-2011, 02:12 AM   #1
kmoirkne
Bat Boy

Too many injuries

Ran through a full season, had 15 different white sox get injured. Can we fix this or have a suggestion?
kmoirkne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:31 AM   #2
AZ YEAR 1
Minors (Rookie Ball)

No that sounds about right concidering the start they are having
AZ YEAR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:31 AM   #3
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoirkne View Post
Ran through a full season, had 15 different white sox get injured. Can we fix this or have a suggestion?
We even used the average injury setting, not the realistic one. Please keep us informed if injuries continue to happen to often, then we will tweak the setting in an update.
Sebastian Palkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:20 AM   #4
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Well, injuries happen in real life more often than one might think. We even toned injuries down in iOOTP (in order to please the more casual gamer), so the number of injuries are about 40% less than in real life on average.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:49 AM   #5
RPage
Minors (Single A)

injuries

I used to think that injuries occurred more in the game than in real life as well. I think it is an illusion. If you are simming your seasons one week at a time or even faster, then the rate at which you see the injuries increases as well.

It is the timing issue with them that get me... lol

RPage

Batter: " I think that pitch was outside "
Ump: " It sounded like a strike to me. "
RPage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:17 PM   #6
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPage View Post
I used to think that injuries occurred more in the game than in real life as well. I think it is an illusion. If you are simming your seasons one week at a time or even faster, then the rate at which you see the injuries increases as well.

It is the timing issue with them that get me... lol

RPage

Batter: " I think that pitch was outside "
Ump: " It sounded like a strike to me. "
You're right about timing. I think IRL injuries seem to go down as the season ends. In the game though, injuries seem to pile up in September. I had one player who missed the playoffs 3 out of 5 seasons. One of those seasons I lost 3 of my 4 starting IF.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:57 PM   #7
Sabermetric Baseball
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
You're right about timing. I think IRL injuries seem to go down as the season ends. In the game though, injuries seem to pile up in September.
You're absolutely correct.

Teams don't really use the DL in September; however, there were 98 injuries in August 2010 and only 74 injuries in April 2011.

Generally, I've seen around 60-70 DL injuries per month with the "Low" setting in OOTP, and about 100-110 DL injuries per month with the "Normal" setting - so I guess pick your poison!
Old 05-05-2011, 02:08 PM   #8
kmoirkne
Bat Boy

Haha

Yes, the white sox are awful so far, but they haven't been hit by the injury bug yet.

But back on track, i had alot more than normal injuries I think. I lost Floyd, Jackson, Peavy, so 3 of my 5 starters. Then Beckham, Pierre, Rios as my 3 main hitters, I lost several fill ins as well.

It just seem like a 2K baseball season all over again! If you play that game, you will know what I mean.
kmoirkne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:07 PM   #9
Sabermetric Baseball
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Yes, the white sox are awful so far, but they haven't been hit by the injury bug yet.

But back on track, i had alot more than normal injuries I think. I lost Floyd, Jackson, Peavy, so 3 of my 5 starters. Then Beckham, Pierre, Rios as my 3 main hitters, I lost several fill ins as well.

It just seem like a 2K baseball season all over again! If you play that game, you will know what I mean.
You have my sympathies - for suffering through the injuries, and even moreso for having Floyd, Jackson, Peavy, Beckham, Pierre, and Rios as 6 of your main players.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:49 PM   #10
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabermetric Baseball View Post
You're absolutely correct.

Teams don't really use the DL in September; however, there were 98 injuries in August 2010 and only 74 injuries in April 2011.

Generally, I've seen around 60-70 DL injuries per month with the "Low" setting in OOTP, and about 100-110 DL injuries per month with the "Normal" setting - so I guess pick your poison!
I'd like to know if there is a reliable count, not using the DL, of RL MLB injuries in September. I'd expect them to be lower. I think OOTP gives the same weight or probability of injury occurrence each day of the season.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:11 PM   #11
Sabermetric Baseball
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
I'd like to know if there is a reliable count, not using the DL, of RL MLB injuries in September. I'd expect them to be lower. I think OOTP gives the same weight or probability of injury occurrence each day of the season.
Non-DL injury counts are a bit arbitrary. Sports Illustrated used to run one, but they'd list day-to-day injuries for players who didn't even need to be pulled from the same game after their "injury". OOTP injuries directly result in missed time or decreased performance, so that type of data doesn't really count for our analysis.

After further consideration, I actually do agree September injuries would be lower, due to roster expansion. From April thru August, 15 players on each team's 40 man roster are playing in minor league games. Most of those 15 players will be seeing significant playing time in the minors and therefore be more likely to suffer an in-game injury. In September, you have a much larger proportion of the 40 man roster all stuffed into the majors; so as a group the 40 man roster is seeing fewer AB's/IP's.

Don't know about the regular season, but OOTP injuries are significantly more frequent during Spring Training (as they should be) so I suspect there's at least a simplistic algorithm for the time of the season.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:13 PM   #12
perfectDARK
Minors (Double A)

There seem to be a lot of long term injuries, between 3-7 weeks, keeping an eye on the league news.

I'm playing as the Mets, I've lost Wright, Reyes, Pagan for five weeks all within four games of each other. I also just lost Beltran for three weeks (but that's not one I'm surprised at.) Considering Bay started on the DL too, I have the most laughable lineup in Major League history, an eight game losing streak, and just to rub it in Roy Halladay just one hit me, 17k, this being the first meeting between us since Chris Young outdueled him with a one-hitter. Thanks for rubbing it in iOOTP, I think I'm going fictional
Old 05-22-2011, 05:01 AM   #13
metal134
Minors (Single A)

I've definitely noticed alot of injuries. I don't know about league wide, but to my team specifically. I've tried starting a new game three times and each time I can't make it out of the first two weeks without losing three, and in one instance, four, players to 1 month+ injuries.
metal134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:05 PM   #14
omgimasian
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal134 View Post
I've definitely noticed alot of injuries. I don't know about league wide, but to my team specifically. I've tried starting a new game three times and each time I can't make it out of the first two weeks without losing three, and in one instance, four, players to 1 month+ injuries.
did you lose guys in your starting lineup?

i've only lost one guy in two months, i guess it's just random. check to see if their health statuses are fragile
omgimasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:06 PM   #15
Dregen
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
That's a realistic number, welcome to baseball. There's nothing wrong with having players get hurt, happens in every sport. Some years there's more players going down than others.

It happens.
Dregen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:11 PM   #16
Disco Dog 13
Minors (Triple A)

Sure I saw today that Texas had 10 guys missing from a game recently against the Phillies

Sounds realistic to me
Disco Dog 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:26 PM   #17
Donevyn
Major Leagues

45 games in I've had 5 on disabled list. 3 pitchers and 2 fielders. 2 for long term (3-5 months). Btw, is there a way to see how much longer folks have to go?
Donevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:38 PM   #18
metal134
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgimasian View Post
did you lose guys in your starting lineup?

i've only lost one guy in two months, i guess it's just random. check to see if their health statuses are fragile
Yeah, it was mostly starting pitchers. I tried another test run and am hopingi t was just bad luck.
metal134 is offline   Reply With Quote