Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - New to the Game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 05-01-2014, 11:44 AM   #1
oldcatcher
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Location: Virginia, USA under a bridge in a van down by the river
Career Ending Injury...

In my 2015 season, Jacoby Ellsbury suffered a career ending injury. How do I handle this correctly from a roster standpoint past putting him on the DL?

How long will the Yankees be on the hook for his salary?

Thanks!
oldcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:17 PM   #2
SandMan
Hall Of Famer

Put him on the DL, at the end of the season he will retire. You only are responsible for the current season.s salary. DO NOT release the player or you will be responsible for his whole contract.
SandMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:08 PM   #3
htimsetan
Bat Boy

Poor Dexter Fowler tore his labrum to end his career in my league in May of 2017; I placed him on the 60 day DL, and he retired midway through the season. I'm not sure, but I think I only paid a pro-rated version of his salary.
htimsetan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:11 PM   #4
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by htimsetan View Post
Poor Dexter Fowler tore his labrum to end his career in my league in May of 2017; I placed him on the 60 day DL, and he retired midway through the season. I'm not sure, but I think I only paid a pro-rated version of his salary.
Yes that happens from time to time as well.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:45 AM   #5
deknegt
Minors (Rookie Ball)

If I may semi-hijack this thread.

Is it possible for players with Career Ending Injuries to ever return to baseball? Are there ever any ''mistakes'' where people get a ''career ender'' but actually make a miraculous return?
deknegt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:07 PM   #6
Carlton
Hall Of Famer

In real life Eric Davis and his cancer were one of those exceptions
Tony Conigliaro as well with his shattered face
Josh Hamilton and his addiction
Jim Piersall and Zach Greinke for their mental state

Bo Jackson from a baseball standpoint of course

and let's not forget the man who is in the news still Tommy John. His injury was for all intensive purposes career ending.

Jose Rijo had SIX TJ surgeries in six years to come back

For OOTP, if the player is young, I roll a 20 sided dice using his injury rating as the level he needs to hit... say his injury rating is 1-20 so this CEI was REALLY a fluke, then anything over 5, he comes back...if his injury rating is 150 or higher, he'll need a 18-20

"I am at that stage of my life where I keep myself out of arguments. I am 100% self sufficient spiritually, emotionally & financially. Even if you say 1+1=5, you are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. Enjoy!"
Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:43 PM   #7
moonlightmerc
Minors (Double A)

Dave Dravecky made a great comeback from cancer in the pitching arm. Unfortunately in his 2nd start of the comeback his humorous bone snapped. I remember watching that game on TV it was heartbreaking.

Dave Dravecky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wow Re-reading the wiki page I didnt relaize he reborke the arm when celebrating winning the pennant.

Last edited by moonlightmerc; 05-09-2014 at 01:47 PM.
moonlightmerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:49 PM   #8
oriole^
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlightmerc View Post
Wow Re-reading the wiki page I didnt relaize he reborke the arm when celebrating winning the pennant.
I remember seeing that game...heartbreaking as well when you realized what happened.
oriole^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 02:37 PM   #9
boogeyboard1
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deknegt View Post
If I may semi-hijack this thread.

Is it possible for players with Career Ending Injuries to ever return to baseball? Are there ever any ''mistakes'' where people get a ''career ender'' but actually make a miraculous return?
In my fictional league a player fell off of his roof and broke his back. He was paralyzed and they said he was done, but a year and a half later he came back.
boogeyboard1 is offline   Reply With Quote