Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions

Old 01-01-2012, 02:31 PM   #1
coljesep
All Star Reserve

My Suggestion for Sim

I've read a lot of suggestions, not all... this should be an exciting project to see.

Two things I love about hockey that I haven't seen in some of the responses that would be great additions

#1 Olympics. Basketball has a certain sense of olympic pride but I believe no pro sport has as much pride for country than Hockey. The Olympics would be an amazing addition to the sim.

#2 Home Ice Advantage. Somehow correlating fan support to how a team plays on their home ice.
coljesep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
Malte Schwarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by coljesep View Post
#1 Olympics. Basketball has a certain sense of olympic pride but I believe no pro sport has as much pride for country than Hockey. The Olympics would be an amazing addition to the sim.
We will consider Olympics and World Cups, but I don't think they will be part of the first version.

Quote:
#2 Home Ice Advantage. Somehow correlating fan support to how a team plays on their home ice.
Yes, there will be a home ice advantage. The matchengine will consider fan support.
Malte Schwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malte Schwarz View Post
We will consider Olympics and World Cups, but I don't think they will be part of the first version.

Yes, there will be a home ice advantage. The matchengine will consider fan support.
I'd like to see that fan support and market size effect players where one player can play great in a small market like Florida but if he goes to Montreal or Toronto where he's under the microscope he just can't take the pressure. Being a leaf fan i see that happen to alot of players where they just can't take it. They are like rockstars in the city and it might even go to their heads and their play reflects that on the ice. There is a big difference in playing in a market like Phoenix and Toronto. Or Nashville and New York. I'd that to see those differences in a sim one day

Back on topic, i hope we'll have the ability to organize our own World Cup/Olympics. I wish to see it in the first verrsion but i can understand how other things take priority.
I've always wanted that in ootp...to have that customization where you set the rules, how often the tourny occurs, the players involved (pro, juniors, NHLers, AHLers etc), format, etc. That way you know who the powerhouse countrys really are instead of just guessing. Then i can be Rene Fasel

Last edited by dave1927p; 01-09-2012 at 09:38 PM.
dave1927p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
Strelka
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1927p View Post
I'd like to see that fan support and market size effect players where one player can play great in a small market like Florida but if he goes to Montreal or Toronto where he's under the microscope he just can't take the pressure. Being a leaf fan i see that happen to alot of players where they just can't take it. They are like rockstars in the city and it might even go to their heads and their play reflects that on the ice. There is a big difference in playing in a market like Phoenix and Toronto. Or Nashville and New York. I'd that to see those differences in a sim one day
While market size certainly effects things, but larger markets/fan support aren't always linked. The NHL is much different from say, the KHL - where you can have a 'small market' and have a terrible team, but have extremely high fan support, depending on the team and traditions, also it is possible in the KHL to be the visiting team and have a higher bit of fan support than the home team, depending on the teams playing.

When SKA (SPb) plays Amur in Khabarovsk, SKA has the higher bit of fan support because the SKA Khabarovsk (football) ultras attend the match to support their fellow army brothers. This is just one simple example.

I have no hopes on it, but 'home ice advantage' should be treated differently in Europe than in North America, maybe some kind of fan support tradition stat modifier to represent the clubs that have long established support organizations who support their clubs at every match, home or away.

I know its not like this in North America so the market size and team performance has a lot to do with fan support and home ice advantage.
Strelka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:53 AM   #5
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

it appears that there are quite a few things that differ from european and north american hockey... it will be interesting to see if they will be portrayed differently in some of these aspects in the game.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:12 AM   #6
Strelka
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1927p View Post
it appears that there are quite a few things that differ from european and north american hockey... it will be interesting to see if they will be portrayed differently in some of these aspects in the game.
I have hopes on that, but I am sure it will take some polish over a few versions to get it completely correct, showing Euro leagues and play style as differing from North American. With the continued popularity of EHM I don't have many doubts that this game will gain a good following, especially with how high quality of a sim that OOTP is. So to me that means future versions and tons of tweaks and improvements and new features.
Strelka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:14 PM   #7
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Because the home team has the last line change, ice hockey is one of the few sports where the home team's advantage is codified in the rules. That's far more consequential than the home team's somewhat ephemeral advantage in baseball of having the last at-bat. The home team should retain that advantage in the game, but I wonder how much more of a "friendly crowd" advantage it should have over and above that.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:28 PM   #8
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromchicago View Post
Because the home team has the last line change, ice hockey is one of the few sports where the home team's advantage is codified in the rules. That's far more consequential than the home team's somewhat ephemeral advantage in baseball of having the last at-bat. The home team should retain that advantage in the game, but I wonder how much more of a "friendly crowd" advantage it should have over and above that.
sometimes many players want nothing to do with some of these fishbowl teams like Toronto or Montreal. Fans are passionate but can be punishing too...if the fans get frustrated, they boo their own teams and the media in these cities are cut throat and ruthless in general. So when things go bad and the team is really feeling the pressure and if you don't have the right leaders it could blow up in their face and then the home ice advantage should be non-existant. If there was really home ice advantage for home team with a big market TOR and MTL shoud always be better at home when in the past few years (at least for the struggling T.O.) their away record has been much better.